banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2006, 03:21 AM   #76
Jesse Joe

posted August 06, 2006 05:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Jesse. You're check's in the mail.

Today is the first anniversary of my brain aneurysm. There have been more than a few times that I thought I'd never make it a year!

A good friend of mine, and the brother of my older sister's ex-husband (I bet that line will stump a few of you) had a brain aneurysm three weeks ago, and is already back home. Luckily, he didn't suffer from much brain damage. Hmmmm... maybe neither of us got a lot of brain damage because all the beer we drank in the '70 already killed most of our brain cells.

--------------------
Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

Well your mostly welcome Cathy, I hope you made the check for what we agreed upon? {LOL} As for the brain cells, I too have burned some, in the mid 70's...What was your name again! :D
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #77
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Ummm... my name.... Giberson, I think.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #78
Cathy

Marc, your experience sounds just like mine, except mine started around 1997. Actually, I listened to Gord when I was a teenager, and really got hooked on Wreck, but then lost touch with his music for many years. Things just got in the way... like marriage and kids. And I figured he had probably retired. I became interested in him again in the late 1990s, when I decided to take up the guitar again. I remember racking my brain, trying to figure out IYCRMM. I was listening to the recording one night, and all of the sudden, it just came to me. That started me on a long journey to learn as many of his songs as possible. Let's see... only 340 to go....
Old 08-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #79
Barry Shanley

Cathy, I remember having a cassett of Gord's Gold over 20 yrs ago. I played it in my car but those were very unsettled days and the tape probably lost out to Led (Zepilan?) or Neil Young. If I had bought Sundown or IYCRMM things may have been different but I havn't heard the remakes since then and I'm guessing I prefer the original recordings (most). My tastes have certainly changed. I went from rock to folk and classical. My lesser pop "favorites" are: Bee Gee's, James Taylor, John Denver, Garth Brooks, America, Johnny A. (instrumental elec. guitar), Yianni, etc. When I run out of good songs (except Bee Gee's) from my listing of pop favorites, Gord's songs keep going and going... I would only need one hand to count the song's I don't enjoy from Shadows on back. Between Shadows and Harmony, there are issues for me.
Barry Shanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #80
marc in maine

Cathy, I remember having a cassett of Gord's Gold over 20 yrs ago. I played it in my car but those were very unsettled days and the tape probably lost out to Led (Zepilan?) or Neil Young. If I had bought Sundown or IYCRMM things may have been different but I havn't heard the remakes since then and I'm guessing I prefer the original recordings (most). My tastes have certainly changed. I went from rock to folk and classical. My lesser pop "favorites" are: Bee Gee's, James Taylor, John Denver, Garth Brooks, America, Johnny A. (instrumental elec. guitar), Yianni, etc. When I run out of good songs (except Bee Gee's) from my listing of pop favorites, Gord's songs keep going and going... I would only need one hand to count the song's I don't enjoy from Shadows on back. Between Shadows and Harmony, there are issues for me.
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #81
Cathy

The first one I bought was Greatest Hits... on 8 track. Then the 8 track player in my '71 Lemans caught on fire, but luckily, did no damage to the interior of the car. I replaced it with a cassette deck, and started replacing my favorite 8 tracks. In 1978, I bought a Ford Van and a new Pioneer casette deck. That one got stollen, along with most of my cassettes, so I bought another and started building my collection again. I think it was in the mid '90s when I finally updated to a CD player. There was this kid at work who did custom installations, and I had the works put into my 1990 Lumina... CD player, preamp/equalizer, tweets, 4 and 6 inch speakers in the front, 6 by 9 speekers in the back, 1500 watts of amps in the trunk, along with a 12 inch subwoofer. I wasn't crazy about the sub. I usually turned it way down. But my kids loved it. I must have been in my rock n roll phase then, because I had a lot of rock compilations, which I have since given up on. The kids in town used to run over to the car and say, "Crank the stereo!" which I usually did, until I saw the cops driving down the street. I kept the stereo until last spring, when I decided it was finally time to sell the Lumina. It was 16 years old, but still a nice car. I took the stereo system out and gave it to my son. He replaced the tweets and the sub with new equipment, but otherwise, everything else is the same. The legend lives on....
Old 08-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #82
Barry Shanley

Oh well Cathy, at least you have the tunes. I don't feel too bad for you.
Barry Shanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #83
marc in maine

Oh well Cathy, at least you have the tunes. I don't feel too bad for you.
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #84
brink-

ELO, I haven't thought of them in years. BTW great band...

[ August 31, 2006, 14:20: Message edited by: brink- ]
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #85
Cathy

btw = by the way.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #86
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

LOL = laugh out loud
TTYL= Talk to you later
WTF = what the f***?!!
b/c = because
w/o = without
OMG = oh my gosh
OMFG= oh my freakin gosh (or a much stronger version )
FYI = for your information (used on this site)
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #87
bluemur

Al Stewart!! Intelligent lyrics, soft easy listening voice. I find he and Gordon Lightfoot similar in many ways.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #88
mrburns

Al Stewart!! Intelligent lyrics, soft easy listening voice. I find he and Gordon Lightfoot similar in many ways.
mrburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #89
Jesse Joe

Hello mrburns, Al Srewart,"The Year Of The Cat." Very good choice. ~JESSE ~
Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #90
Jesse Joe

Hello mrburns, Al Srewart,"The Year Of The Cat." Very good choice. ~JESSE ~
Old 09-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #91
bluemur

Yes, "Year of the Cat", "Time Passages" had a great sound. Alan Parsons produced those records. He and Al Stewart were a great combo.
I would say one way in which Al Stewart and GL are similar is a sort of haunted feeling to there music. Not in a morose way, but they both are very reflective, deep thinkers as songwriters.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #92
mrburns

Yes, "Year of the Cat", "Time Passages" had a great sound. Alan Parsons produced those records. He and Al Stewart were a great combo.
I would say one way in which Al Stewart and GL are similar is a sort of haunted feeling to there music. Not in a morose way, but they both are very reflective, deep thinkers as songwriters.
mrburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:48 AM   #93
Yuri

There was a time in this fair land when Gordon did not sing??? I was totally into Rock music, Mountain, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Yes, Uriah Heep, The Doors and such before I heard some early Lightfoot Ballads which just blew me away. Folk was something very new to me. My musical friends thought I was a traitor! Music is too wonderful and diverse to create boundries and 'pigeon hole' oneself. Before Gord I didn't listen to folk and in Rock music I always found that the singer was part of the overall sound and few stood out as in folk.
I really have no favorite singer B.G. (Before Gord)

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #94
Glenmark

On the subject of Mac Davis, I can still remember the "Mac Davis Show" when he'd have audience members give him a song title and he's make up lyrics and a tune on the spot. I remember someone suggested "Hunky Dory" and his musical response was hilarious (can't recall details though). For me, my pre-Gord favorites were Cat Stevens and Jackson Browne.
Glenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #95
Morgus

Two singers I still feel very strongly about. John Denver, and Charley Pride.

I should probably add Sir Elton John, Jim Croce, and Rod Stewart. In addition to GL, I also love Collin Raye, Randy Travis, Johnny Rodriguez, Anne Murray, the Carpenters... I'm heavily into country music, but I prefer the older stuff. Not a lot of the newer country appeals to me. Big and Rich...I call them Gag and Retch.

Not so much into Bob Dylan. I have an uncle who probably burned me out on him. The poor man is a disabled 'Nam vet, the kind who still wears battle fatigues and plays old war protest songs, the kind who isn't entirely sure the '60's are over. He's played so much Dylan that I'm pretty much Dylaned out.

[ September 09, 2006, 22:25: Message edited by: AZroute74 ]
Morgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #96
AZroute74

Two singers I still feel very strongly about. John Denver, and Charley Pride.

I should probably add Sir Elton John, Jim Croce, and Rod Stewart. In addition to GL, I also love Collin Raye, Randy Travis, Johnny Rodriguez, Anne Murray, the Carpenters... I'm heavily into country music, but I prefer the older stuff. Not a lot of the newer country appeals to me. Big and Rich...I call them Gag and Retch.

Not so much into Bob Dylan. I have an uncle who probably burned me out on him. The poor man is a disabled 'Nam vet, the kind who still wears battle fatigues and plays old war protest songs, the kind who isn't entirely sure the '60's are over. He's played so much Dylan that I'm pretty much Dylaned out.

[ September 09, 2006, 22:25: Message edited by: AZroute74 ]
Old 09-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #97
Gitchigumee

I haven't read all the posts yet, but I would have to say the only other singer/songerwriter that is in the same category as Gordon Lightfoot, for me, is Willie Nelson. I'm nuts about him too. Two totally different guys, but I love them both equally. They are both icons. I would, however, have to say that I believe Gord has the better singing voice. Jim Croce is up there amongst my favorites also, and of course John Denver. One of my greatest regrets is that I never saw John Denver live in concert--may he rest in peace.

[ September 26, 2006, 14:40: Message edited by: Gitchigumee ]
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #98
sparky

Good Gosh! Sitting here reading all these postings, I am amazed at how much we all have in common! And yet how different our lives really are. Thanks for sharing your stories. :0)
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #99
Rossport59

Good Gosh! Sitting here reading all these postings, I am amazed at how much we all have in common! And yet how different our lives really are. Thanks for sharing your stories. :0)
Rossport59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #100
Rossport59

Oh, before Gordon it was John Denver. Also Kris Kristofferson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Earle and bob Dylan and Jesse Colin Young.etc etc.. But they all paled after I got my first album. I am a collector of GL albums and music now. Gordon once said that Bob Dylan taught him how to write lyrics - hmmm....am I missing something? lol
Rossport59 is offline   Reply With Quote