banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2000, 12:45 PM   #76
Kim

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

I like all the singers that everyone has mentioned here. Another one that really stands out for me (besides Gordon) is John Denver. His music really touched me through the years. I miss him tremendously.
Also another that I really like quite a bit is Valdy. He also has some really great songs. Ahhh, the memories.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 11:07 PM   #77
Rose

Another singer I enjoy listening to is Mac Davis. Mac was popular in the mid 1970's, when I found myself single again. Though Gord is and always has been my main man, I enjoyed Mac's music also.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 11:07 PM   #78
sundownbuff

Another singer I enjoy listening to is Mac Davis. Mac was popular in the mid 1970's, when I found myself single again. Though Gord is and always has been my main man, I enjoyed Mac's music also.
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2000, 03:59 PM   #79
charlene

Mac Davis wrote my personal theme song!
Oh Lord, It's Hard to Be Humble, When You're Perfect In Every Way!"
LOL
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2000, 03:59 PM   #80
charlene

Mac Davis wrote my personal theme song!
Oh Lord, It's Hard to Be Humble, When You're Perfect In Every Way!"
LOL
Char
Old 07-30-2000, 09:39 PM   #81
Tom

Mac Davis and I went to the same High School . . . several years apart, of course. He and one of my uncles were in the same grade. I believe they were in FFA (Future Farmers of America) club together, if I remember correctly. And my mother was in the Glee Club (chorus) with Dyan Cannon.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2000, 09:39 PM   #82
Mary Ann

Mac Davis and I went to the same High School . . . several years apart, of course. He and one of my uncles were in the same grade. I believe they were in FFA (Future Farmers of America) club together, if I remember correctly. And my mother was in the Glee Club (chorus) with Dyan Cannon.
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2000, 10:14 PM   #83
Rose

Dear Mary Ann, Yes, I can imagine Mac being in the FFA, as he sang "Baby Baby don't get hooked on me."
Char, One week and I will be seeing Gordon. Any special song request that you want me to make from the wonderful seats I have thanks to Val?
Old 07-30-2000, 10:14 PM   #84
sundownbuff

Dear Mary Ann, Yes, I can imagine Mac being in the FFA, as he sang "Baby Baby don't get hooked on me."
Char, One week and I will be seeing Gordon. Any special song request that you want me to make from the wonderful seats I have thanks to Val?
Old 07-30-2000, 10:34 PM   #85
J. M. Miller

The greatest ever, of course, are The Beatles. Now here's my Mac Davis story: Christmas 1995. Bel Aire (California) country club. Office party. Walking about with co-worker (who would within a year be my wife). We stray from path, end up on golf course near green. Golf cart speeds over, driver says, "You don't want to get hurt [by flying golf balls, I guess]. Better get along..." The driver was Mac Davis! Okay, so it's not such an interesting story, but it's all true! (P.S. A Christmas party at a country club in palm-tree-laden Los Angeles on a hot and sunny day--with Dickens carolers singing about sleighs and snow--is pathetic! I wouldn't wish it on anyone...)
Old 07-30-2000, 10:34 PM   #86
J. M. Miller

The greatest ever, of course, are The Beatles. Now here's my Mac Davis story: Christmas 1995. Bel Aire (California) country club. Office party. Walking about with co-worker (who would within a year be my wife). We stray from path, end up on golf course near green. Golf cart speeds over, driver says, "You don't want to get hurt [by flying golf balls, I guess]. Better get along..." The driver was Mac Davis! Okay, so it's not such an interesting story, but it's all true! (P.S. A Christmas party at a country club in palm-tree-laden Los Angeles on a hot and sunny day--with Dickens carolers singing about sleighs and snow--is pathetic! I wouldn't wish it on anyone...)
Old 07-31-2000, 10:07 AM   #87
charlene

quote:Originally posted by sundownbuff:

It would be a dedication:" For Charlene, my wonderful Canadian fan who couldn't be here tonight. I had the pleasure of meeting her In Orillia and am looking forward to seeing her in May at Massey Hall in Toronto. I dedicate this to her...."Beautiful>"

That would be okely dokely!
LOL
Char
it works for me!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2000, 10:07 AM   #88
charlene

quote:Originally posted by sundownbuff:

It would be a dedication:" For Charlene, my wonderful Canadian fan who couldn't be here tonight. I had the pleasure of meeting her In Orillia and am looking forward to seeing her in May at Massey Hall in Toronto. I dedicate this to her...."Beautiful>"

That would be okely dokely!
LOL
Char
it works for me!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2000, 01:01 PM   #89
Dorothea

My second all time favourite musical artist?

Steely Dan.

Strange eh...

Am I the only person on this planet whose two favourites are GL and SD?

Frank.
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2000, 01:01 PM   #90
Frank v

My second all time favourite musical artist?

Steely Dan.

Strange eh...

Am I the only person on this planet whose two favourites are GL and SD?

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2000, 01:53 PM   #91
Rose

Dear J.M. Thank you for sharing your Mac Davis story with me. I agree Christmas in California, unless you go to the mountains, is the pits, this is a quote from my San Diego grandaughter.

Vhar, Beautful it is.
Old 07-31-2000, 01:53 PM   #92
sundownbuff

Dear J.M. Thank you for sharing your Mac Davis story with me. I agree Christmas in California, unless you go to the mountains, is the pits, this is a quote from my San Diego grandaughter.

Vhar, Beautful it is.
Old 07-31-2000, 06:54 PM   #93
scottwp

Other than Gord, my 2nd favorite is Robert Earl Keen Jr. He has some really fine
Mexican flavored songs, try "Gringo Honeymoon". Also, some great outlaw songs and some really funny ones, "Merry Xmas from the Family", "Barbeque" for instance. Robert is not country, but more of a Texas Jimmy Buffett. Draws huge crowds here at concerts in Texas. Haven't heard him live yet, but hope to soon. Give him a listen.

Guy Clark, another Texan who has been around a while, I just discovered last year. Has some really nice songs. I only have his latest album, "Cold Dog Soup", but plan to fill in some of the earlier ones later.
scottwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2000, 06:54 PM   #94
Steve

Other than Gord, my 2nd favorite is Robert Earl Keen Jr. He has some really fine
Mexican flavored songs, try "Gringo Honeymoon". Also, some great outlaw songs and some really funny ones, "Merry Xmas from the Family", "Barbeque" for instance. Robert is not country, but more of a Texas Jimmy Buffett. Draws huge crowds here at concerts in Texas. Haven't heard him live yet, but hope to soon. Give him a listen.

Guy Clark, another Texan who has been around a while, I just discovered last year. Has some really nice songs. I only have his latest album, "Cold Dog Soup", but plan to fill in some of the earlier ones later.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2000, 10:06 PM   #95
Janice

Steve,

I'm a new Guy Clark fan as well. Although I knew his name from songwriting credits I never heard him perform until this past March. If you like Texas singer/songwriters ya gotta love Rodney Crowell. He's right up there with Gord as far as I'm concerned.

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 10:43 AM   #96
CanadaGirl38

Once again seconding Janice, Rodney Crowell is right up there. So is Robert Earl Keen. I saw him once at the Tin Angel in Philadelphia. The real killer is the warm up act, Fred Eaglesmith, turned out to be the biggest find of the last couple of years. Ontario songwriter - dynamite stuff. In fact they just did a tribute album for him and I have a cut on it! Benefit for the Hamilton, ON Schizophrenia Society (I live in New Jersey, but always glad to help). If that happens to interest anyone, let me knwo - it's only $10.
CanadaGirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 10:43 AM   #97
fezo

Once again seconding Janice, Rodney Crowell is right up there. So is Robert Earl Keen. I saw him once at the Tin Angel in Philadelphia. The real killer is the warm up act, Fred Eaglesmith, turned out to be the biggest find of the last couple of years. Ontario songwriter - dynamite stuff. In fact they just did a tribute album for him and I have a cut on it! Benefit for the Hamilton, ON Schizophrenia Society (I live in New Jersey, but always glad to help). If that happens to interest anyone, let me knwo - it's only $10.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 12:20 PM   #98
PhenomenalWoman

James Taylor...but only within the last few years. I've always liked him, but his 'concert' demeanor is sooo cool. He's the master of a not so gentle put down ("Hey, thanks for yelling my name out while I was singing right there..."). Cat Stevens had a song, before he got saved and decided Salman Rushdie ought to be killed, called "How Can I Tell You?" That song does it for me every single time, although I only heard it once 'live'. And (someone isn't going to like this) Garth Brooks the way he SHOULD be heard. The man has a way with an acoustic, and no matter how sappy the words to The River may seem, when you hear that voice accompanied only by guitar singing "chose to brave the rapids, dare to dance the tides" or when he sings "Cowboy's Letter from Home" (why do you ride for your money...) there's nothing like it.

Guy Clark did a guest stint on Prairie HOme Companion this year, as did Ramblin' Jack Elliot.

Oh, and I totally love JoDee Messina.

That'll do for a start.
Old 08-01-2000, 12:20 PM   #99
PhenomenalWoman

James Taylor...but only within the last few years. I've always liked him, but his 'concert' demeanor is sooo cool. He's the master of a not so gentle put down ("Hey, thanks for yelling my name out while I was singing right there..."). Cat Stevens had a song, before he got saved and decided Salman Rushdie ought to be killed, called "How Can I Tell You?" That song does it for me every single time, although I only heard it once 'live'. And (someone isn't going to like this) Garth Brooks the way he SHOULD be heard. The man has a way with an acoustic, and no matter how sappy the words to The River may seem, when you hear that voice accompanied only by guitar singing "chose to brave the rapids, dare to dance the tides" or when he sings "Cowboy's Letter from Home" (why do you ride for your money...) there's nothing like it.

Guy Clark did a guest stint on Prairie HOme Companion this year, as did Ramblin' Jack Elliot.

Oh, and I totally love JoDee Messina.

That'll do for a start.
Old 08-15-2000, 02:49 AM   #100
midnightmisty

The Moody Blues

Dan Fogelberg

Enya & sibs Clannad

Restless Heart (even though they broke up
years ago)

The Beach Boys

Lots "British Invasion"

Eric Clapton