banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee
Default Gord on CBC's The Hour May 6th

Gord will be interviewed on CBC-TV's The Hour on May 6th at 11:00pm. That might get the Massey contingent back to their rooms early, huh? A few more details at my web site www.gordonlightfoot.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Gord on CBC's The Hour May 6th

oh this should be an interesting bit of Canadiana...Strombo and Lightfoot..oh yeah..it's gonna be VERY interesting!
lol
http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/progr...ogram=The+Hour - it's rerun a few times on CBC and CBCNewsworld

lots of interviews on-line to get an idea of who and how Strombo interviews.. http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/interviews.php
(Anne Murray, Ronnie Hawkins, Diana Krall, Paul Anka, Brooks&Dunn, Matt Damon, Halle Berry, Michael Buble, John Cusack, Sir Richard Branson, Howie Mandel, Gore Vidal, Neil Sedaka, Martin Short, Dave Thomas, Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo, Ron Sexsmith, former prime ministers, all kinds of people..)
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
mandoann

I'm arriving at Pearson about 8 p.m. Maybe I'll get to the Delta Chelsea in time! (I've never flown in to Toronto before...)

Thanks!

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
vlmagee

Unless your flight is delayed, you will surely get to the Delta in time. At 8pm, there won't be traffic. And, as Char said, the show is repeated many times, but it would be nice to see it the first time it airs. Wish I could, but ...
Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
lighthead2toe

This is too cool. It was just a matter of time though. George has all the heavies on there and his gift of performance in the manner in which he pulls it off is the utmost in entertainment. George and Gord will put on a fine show. Timing is just perfect as it always is with "The Man." This is not one to miss. RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Jesse Joe

I was hoping for this interview... The Hour is a great Canadian program. I really like George style. He is a Montreal Canadiens fan, I wonder if that will be mention. Gord would probably say, You gotta love the Leafs !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
oh this should be an interesting bit of Canadiana...Strombo and Lightfoot..oh yeah..it's gonna be VERY interesting!
lol
http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/progr...ogram=The+Hour - it's rerun a few times on CBC and CBCNewsworld

lots of interviews on-line to get an idea of who and how Strombo interviews.. http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/interviews.php
(Anne Murray, Ronnie Hawkins, Diana Krall, Paul Anka, Brooks&Dunn, Matt Damon, Halle Berry, Michael Buble, John Cusack, Sir Richard Branson, Howie Mandel, Gore Vidal, Neil Sedaka, Martin Short, Dave Thomas, Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo, Ron Sexsmith, former prime ministers, all kinds of people..)
And Char dont forget, Rick Mercer, Burton Cummings & Randy Bachman... and many many more, too numerous to remember.

Can you remember if Joni Mitchell did "The Hour" or not ? Because then all 4 who were on the Canadian Stamps would have done it.

Lightfoot on "The Hour", I cant wait.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
RM

I watched the interview with Steve Earle (another songwriter I like. He's quirky, but I still like him), and Strombo's style reminded me a bit of Comedy Central's Jon Stewart. Looking forward to seeing Lightfoot.

Last edited by RM; 04-25-2008 at 12:24 AM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:06 AM   #9
Dream Street Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoann View Post
I'm arriving at Pearson about 8 p.m. Maybe I'll get to the Delta Chelsea in time! (I've never flown in to Toronto before...)

Thanks!
Hi Mandoann,

I hope you have the time of your life. Are you taking your mandolin?

DSR
Old 04-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
Jesse Joe

Habs to the core !

"It's official, I love the Habs so much I had my eyes painted red." ~G.S.~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20061205_habs.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1591  
Old 04-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
charlene

and as I thought:

Hi Charlene,

We will not be taping Gordon Lightfoot with an audience.

Sorry!
Jeff

Jeffrey Perrin
THE HOUR with George Stroumboulopoulos
Tel: 416 205 7636
11pm on CBC Television
www.cbc.ca/thehour
Old 04-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
Kerstin

is there a way for us non-Canadians to watch this do you think?
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
charlene

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/ - the shows/segments/interviews are available for viewing at the website the following day and are then archived....
Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
Kerstin

Thanks Char.
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
jj

I hope it's in an interesting spot...maybe sitting in a few chairs at an empty Massey?

I am hoping this will be sometime later followed by segments of Gord At The Newstand or even better his Best Story Ever!

...it's my The Hour of semi-peace before the toddler/terror awakes from his slumber

IMO, interviews on that show should be way looonger with waaay less George-schtick

I agree - a little less George during interviews would be good..altho he does ask some unusual questions..

How funny would that be - Gord at the Newstand or telling his Best Story Ever?!?! lol

and having had the pleasure of wee Harrison's company a couple of months ago I don't see any toddler terror in the boy at all..he's absolutely adorable and very, very well behaved for a 4 year old.
Must be all in your head..
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Jesse Joe

Yes I agree the interviews are too short. Plus with Gord it should be at least 1/2 hour from his "Bridal Path Home", where CBC Heather Hiscox interviewed him last summer for the Postal Stamp.

Has any of you Toronto folks seen that place yet ?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #17
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
I hope it's in an interesting spot...maybe sitting in a few chairs at an empty Massey?

I am hoping this will be sometime later followed by segments of Gord At The Newstand or even better his Best Story Ever!

...it's my The Hour of semi-peace before the toddler/terror awakes from his slumber

IMO, interviews on that show should be way looonger with waaay less George-schtick

I agree - a little less George during interviews would be good..altho he does ask some unusual questions..

How funny would that be - Gord at the Newstand or telling his Best Story Ever?!?! lol

and having had the pleasure of wee Harrison's company a couple of months ago I don't see any toddler terror in the boy at all..he's absolutely adorable and very, very well behaved for a 4 year old.
Must be all in your head..

You may be right jj, the interview is just before the Massey gigs, so it wouldn't surprise me that George Strom... will maybe do the interview from the House of Gord as CHar would say, if they all agree of course.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
odd, the quote appears as if I wrote it in above reply but I'm thinking it's a techno-glitch

I think that's your reply, char...I wanted to clarify that I actually think George is pretty terrific during interviews (yes, non-typical, refreshing Gzowskiesque questions ) and that I just was commenting on his time consuming schtick in between each such as his various dialogues...just as most interviews get really interesting, it's time for George to stick out his hand and say "hey man, thanks for coming"...agh

I suppose the first shows that I ever caught were ones where you got 4 guest interviews in an hour but then realized i was catching re-run compilations and it's more typical to have 2 guests + 30 mins of other stuff ...which is basically the talk show equation everywhere so my picking on George is unwarranted...all I was verbosely trying to convey was that when it comes to Gord interviews, yes, length matters

BTW, George often refers to checking out the web for full unedited interviews but I haven't stumbled across these as yet...anyhow, this s/b fun

Last edited by jj; 04-27-2008 at 08:14 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
charlene

You have to scroll thru the listing of all interviews and look for 'the full uncut interview' in the description: such as:
http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=2072 - Mary Walsh
http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1846 - Jean Chretien

there aren't a lot of them..

laffed at Ron Maclean's story: http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1282
Old 05-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #20
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

according to a usually reliable source (Google Alerts) there is allegedly an article about Gord at:-
http://www.orilliapacket.com/Article...aspx?e=1009738
the Alert said
"Orillia's own musical icon will be featured on CBC's The Hour on ...
Orillia Packet & Times - Orillia,Ontario,Canada
Orillia's native son and music icon Gordon Lightfoot will be featured in an exclusive television interview on CBC's The Hour. The internationally acclaimed... "
but after three attempts to get that very slow opening (even on this accursed dial up) page I get absoluterly zero text just three sponsered links for GL items
Gordon Lightfoot: LIVE
PAC at Purchase Colllege, NY September 18. Tickets from $48
amprod.net
Gordon Lightfoot Music
Sing your own versions of your favorite songs. Be discovered!
www.midomi.com
Gordon Lightfoot Tickets
Great Seats, Cheap Prices. Buy Gordon Lightfoot Tickets Now!
www.TicketSpot.com

Is it my connection or is there a problem on the Packet site????

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-01-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: corrections
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #21
vlmagee

Try this:

Lightfoot featured on CBC's The Hour
Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #22
Jesse Joe

Thanks for this great find Valerie. I decided to copy and paste it in case some Corfidians could not view it... Hope it's OK !

Orillia's own musical icon will be featured on CBC's The Hour on Tuesday at 11 p.m.

Packet file photo

Lightfoot featured on CBC's The Hour

Posted By Randy Lucenti

Orillia's native son and music icon Gordon Lightfoot will be featured in an exclusive television interview on CBC's The Hour.

Lightfoot, 69, will be featured on the show, hosted by George Stroumboulopoulos, on Tuesday, May 6 beginning at 11 p.m.

The internationally acclaimed singer-songwriter and living-legend, who was born and raised in the Sunshine City, grants few interviews. The TV appearance comes prior to a four-night engagement by Lightfoot at Massey Hall in Toronto from May 7 to 10.

The interview will also appear on The Hour's website at www.cbc.ca/thehour, according to the shows publicity person Julie Booth.

Lightfoot Jr., who was born Nov. 17, 1938 to Jessica and Gordon Lightfoot, last performed in his hometown as the final night's headliner at last year's Mariposa Folk Festival in July of 2007. He also performed at St. Paul's United Church last June.

As a youth, Lightfoot sang in the choir of St. Paul's under the direction of choirmaster Ray Williams. During that time as a "boy soprano," Lightfoot competed in amateur talent shows on CFOR radio, performed in a high school quartet (The Collegiate Four) and in the annual Kiwanis music festivals. The 50th annual Orillia Kiwanis Music Festival wrapped up earlier this week.

In December of 2006, Lightfoot performed at a sold-out Orillia Opera House following up with a smaller concert the next day at St. Paul's.

When he turned 18, Lightfoot moved to California, where he studied at Hollywood's Westlake College of Music in 1957. He returned to Canada in 1958, and his musical career grew from there.

Lightfoot embarked on his first Canadian tour in 1967. From 1967-71, he toured through Europe and Australia. He curtailed his touring schedule in 1972 after contracting Bell's palsy, a condition that left his face partially paralyzed for a time.

It wasn't until 1971 that his own version of "If You Could Read My Mind" became a top-10 hit. The song was originally featured on his 1970 album "Sit Down Young Stranger," which had not sold well. After the success of the song, the album was re-released under the new title "If You Could Read My Mind" to capitalize on the success of the song.

In 1974, his classic single "Sundown," from the album of the same name, went to No. 1 on the American charts. He followed up with such hits as "Carefree Highway," "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "The Circle Is Small (I Can See It In Your Eyes)."

In the fall of 2002, before he was to play the second of two benefit concerts for Soldiers' Memorial Hospital and the Sunshine Festival at the Opera House, he suffered a near-fatal abdominal hemorrhage that left him in a coma for nearly two months. He recovered and later returned to the music business with the album "Harmony" and an appearance on the television show "Canadian Idol."

The musical legend has received 15 Juno Awards and been nominated for five Grammy Awards. He was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1986 and the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame in 2001. He was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame in 1998.

In 2003, he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada, the country's highest civilian honour. Lightfoot is also a member of the Order of Ontario, the highest honour in the province.

He began his most recent tour in Knoxville, Tenn. on Feb. 11 and will conclude his 54-date 2008 schedule on Oct. 19 in San Diego, Calif.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 AM   #23
charlene

Default Gord on The Hour with George-May 2008

THIS VIDEO WORKS (Nov.2013 edit)

I can't run the video - is there one or is it just audio?

hmmm.perhaps it's just waiting for the show to air.. Tuesday May 6 at 11 p.m. CBC
lol

He may have already done the interview..he was downtown this past week at The Hilton (2 minutes from the CBC) doing press for Massey so may have popped in to The CBC to tape his bit with Strombo.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #24
T.G.

Default Re: Gord on The Hour-video at site

It's not working for me, either.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #25
charlene

Default Re: Gord on The Hour-video at site

It might just be there awaiting the clip to be posted after the show airs on Tuesday..