banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2002, 08:51 PM   #1
phabys@aol.com

For me it was "If You Could Read my Mind" listening to the radio, late at night when I was a small child. I remember thinking how the lyrics were cool especially the part about the "ghost from a wishing well", and "the paperback novel, the kind the drugstores sell." Even at a very tender age, I appreciated the intellectual quaility of Gord's writing compared to most of the songs on pop radio at the time.

------------------
"tacky pictures on the walls" Gordon Lightfoot
phabys@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
BRIAN

For me it was "If You Could Read my Mind" listening to the radio, late at night when I was a small child. I remember thinking how the lyrics were cool especially the part about the "ghost from a wishing well", and "the paperback novel, the kind the drugstores sell." Even at a very tender age, I appreciated the intellectual quaility of Gord's writing compared to most of the songs on pop radio at the time.

------------------
"tacky pictures on the walls" Gordon Lightfoot
BRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:37 AM   #3
joveski

it was a hot night, couldn't sleep and i was listening to regional AM radio and sundown came on. fell in love with the tune. i thought it was sung by a fat bearded guy by the sound of the voice. a few nights later, the same story and i heard if you could read my mind. again, loved it. then i found Summetime Dream on vinyl at a 2nd hand shop for 50 cents. picked it up, loved and then bought every CD.
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:14 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

Early Morning Rain - first heard the PP&M version, then some time later a local DJ played the original by GL - so much better. Must've been somewhere in the mid 60s. Found a copy of Lightfoot! in 1969 and have been hooked ever since.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:14 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

Early Morning Rain - first heard the PP&M version, then some time later a local DJ played the original by GL - so much better. Must've been somewhere in the mid 60s. Found a copy of Lightfoot! in 1969 and have been hooked ever since.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:49 AM   #6
Shane

My brother bought the "Summer Side of Life" LP (mostly for the song: Cotton Jenny.) I soon fell in love with the entire album. Since then I have been buying everything by Gordon that I can get my hands on.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:49 AM   #7
Scott Mac

My brother bought the "Summer Side of Life" LP (mostly for the song: Cotton Jenny.) I soon fell in love with the entire album. Since then I have been buying everything by Gordon that I can get my hands on.
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:09 AM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Back in the day, in NYC, they played Gordon Lightfoot on AM radio, FM radio, all over the dial - so I don't remember the first song I actually heard BUT the first album I had to run out and buy was Don Quixote (when it was about a couple weeks out!) so you do the math. Been a diehard since then!
Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 11:10 AM   #9
Gord

It was Carefree Highway for me I thought he was singing Coffee Highway at the time
Old 11-11-2002, 11:10 AM   #10
Gord

It was Carefree Highway for me I thought he was singing Coffee Highway at the time
Old 11-12-2002, 12:39 PM   #11
Tyler

Oma, what a small world! I actually lived in Finland Minnesota about 100 miles North of Duluth. I thought I was in Heaven because I had never lived in a town before (population was 110). Now I live in a huge town-1200 in the mountains in Colorado. It was wonderful watching the ships and the Lake was endless, what a great setting.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:39 PM   #12
brink

Oma, what a small world! I actually lived in Finland Minnesota about 100 miles North of Duluth. I thought I was in Heaven because I had never lived in a town before (population was 110). Now I live in a huge town-1200 in the mountains in Colorado. It was wonderful watching the ships and the Lake was endless, what a great setting.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:03 AM   #13
polishbeer

The first I heard and remember was working around the house in the 70's and listening to the radio. "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" caught my attention because of the subject matter and then the singer. I was in love and am to this day. Then "Sundown" came. I'm on the young side of 56 and love his songs more all the time. The oldies are the best to my mind.

------------------
Paula
polishbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:03 AM   #14
paula1964

The first I heard and remember was working around the house in the 70's and listening to the radio. "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" caught my attention because of the subject matter and then the singer. I was in love and am to this day. Then "Sundown" came. I'm on the young side of 56 and love his songs more all the time. The oldies are the best to my mind.

------------------
Paula
paula1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:25 PM   #15
Dan O'Malley

My first song was "Early Morning Rain" from an old compilation album of the same name. I Was actually disappointed initially cause I preferred Elvis' version! "The Mountain's and Maryann" was the one which really won me over.
Dan O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 04:46 PM   #16
Selene

I remember Sundown when it came out. I was 9 or 10, but I didn't yet get aquainted with GL. A few years later I remember my brother being captivated by The Wreck. I did not get into that song then but it led to my exposure to GL when he bought Gord's Gold. It gradually grew on me until no other musical artist satisfies my tastes the way Gord does.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 04:46 PM   #17
Martin/12

I remember Sundown when it came out. I was 9 or 10, but I didn't yet get aquainted with GL. A few years later I remember my brother being captivated by The Wreck. I did not get into that song then but it led to my exposure to GL when he bought Gord's Gold. It gradually grew on me until no other musical artist satisfies my tastes the way Gord does.
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote