banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 AM   #1
The Rez

Howdy Corfidders . . .

Having just been sparked by Janice (thinking I was gonna read about Elko, NV,) I figure it'd be a good time for us to post about the Music Scene in our parts of the globe.

As Nancy Griffith said: Other Voices - Other Rooms.

Since, unlike Brother Johnny Fowles, we can't all travel show-to-show w/ Gord, let's see what gems pop up for us to share and discover.

Down San Diego & Janice's way- in Lakeside - John Stewart will be at Jimmy Duke's House Concert on 20 Nov. We hope to be there (here that MHP?)

Here in the OC/LA area there are some fine venues to check on for eclectic music: McCabes Guitar Shop in Santa Monica and The Coffee Gallery in Alta Dena come to mind first.

McCabes often hosts John Stewart, Peter Case, and many of those beloved singer/songwriters we cherish. Just a bit ago I saw Ian Tyson at McCabes - MIGHTY!

John McKuen is coming to The Coffee Gallery soon. It's a little bitty place (holds 41) and as intimate as you can get.

Both McCabes and The Coffee Gallery feature "name" folks and "free-range" folks (my kinda stuff.) Both also have web sites.

So, from San Diego to Santa Monica the music is alive and vital - very often from people we didn't know we loved till we heard 'em.

Next . . .

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
Borderstone

In the early 90's,Tempe (college town SE of Phoenix) became a short-lived hot-bed of a music scene. Thanks mostly to the group the Gin Blossoms. They went national with "Hey Jealousy","I'll Folow You Down" and other hits between '93 & '96.

Just before they became famous co-founder and lyricist Doug Hopkins killed himself. My oldest brother had been acquainted with him and was part of the scene from '89 on. He opened a few shows for the Blossoms between '90 & '92 with his own band. (I'm not at liberty to divulge their name,he's told me.) He did say that Hopkins was an alcoholic though.

Anyhow,thonly other act I know to benefit from this "Tempe-mania" was Jimmy Eat World. Other than those 2,I don't think anyone else emerged from that period. After about 1997,no one was looking there anymore and now Tempe is about as exciting as a vacation in your backyard! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Arizona itself has not seen a "big" major artist since Stevie Nicks,Alice Cooper and Linda Ronstadt (unless you count current & still somewhat new Michelle Branch.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:16 AM   #3
The Rez

Borderstone:

My memories of the college in Tempe are from the 60s. The Rumblers played often there. Always a great crowd of then-kids.

It was only an 8hr or so drive in our Greenbiar Van w/ 6 guys, 1 dad, & a little brother - plus all our gear.

But it was worth it, 'cause in Arizona you could by condoms in the gas station bathrooms. Nix in CA. I'm sure I've still got mine . . .

The whole Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe area had some great music back then. Still does, ever since John Stewart ruled the roost after The Phoenix Concert live album. Stands up their well today.

I've heard some names of musicians in that area from friends in Scottsdale, but am drawing a blank right now. I'll ask them and see if there folks you know - or might like to.

The Local Unsung Songwriter is just as important to the glacier and sometimes wildfire of music progress.

Any "unmined local gems" come to mind?

Adios,

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote