banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #26
charlene

Default Re: Hugh's Room-Lightfoot Celebration-The Way We Feel-Report is posted!

Sunday January 23, 2011 – Night 3.
GORDON LIGHTFOOT
At 8:30 Gordon Lightfoot along with Mr. Bernie Fiedler (and friend) arrived at Hugh’s Room. Lightfoot and Mr. Fiedler (who carried Gordon’s guitar) and went upstairs to the Green Room. Mr. Fiedler came down and took his seat at a table on the raised dining area right beside the stairs the performers take to get to the stage. In front of their table is a ‘half-wall’ that overlooks the small lower level of diners and the stage. A few minutes later Lightfoot passed behind me where I was standing by the stairs near the bar area and took his seat. The lights had already dimmed and the show began. During the show Gordon seemed to be having a really good time, clapping vigorously after some songs, sometimes with hands above his head and he also clapped along during some tunes. I couldn’t tell if he participated in any singalongs because I was standing behind him about 30 feet away.

After the Good Brothers finished their two tunes Brian Good stayed onstage after his brothers left. “It is at this time I have the great privilege of introducing the next act. He’s a man we’ve known for over 40 years, he’s a friend and mentor to us and the reason why we’re all here tonight. (at this point a gasp went up from some of the audience who did not know Lightfoot was there) He has graced us all with his songs about love, adventure and inspiration. He’s certainly my favourite writer and obviously yours as well. Please welcome Gordon Lightfoot”

Lightfoot descended the few steps beside his table and made his way to the stage while we all gave him a loud and heartfelt standing ovation. The house band had left the stage so he was alone with his guitar.
He acknowledged the applause with a quick “thank you very much” as he strapped on his guitar. A couple of strums and a “well alright” and “when I heard about the event this year I thought what the fuck am I gonna sing?” Somebody said “some Bob Dylan” but Gord didn’t hear them as he was strumming and laughing. He then was ready to sing as he said “I think Jory did this one but I’m gonna do it anyway.” He then sang “Knotty Pine.” After about a minute he said “I was playing it a lot better at the house I’ll tell ya that.” Lol

He did have a few blips on the guitar and his voice at first was a bit reedy and scratchy. His second tune was “All The Lovely Ladies” and the third and last tune was “East Of Midnight.” As he left the stage we gave him another prolonged standing ovation as he made his way through the crowd and on upstairs. WOW… another up close and personal few minutes listening to a legend grace us with three remarkable songs. Breath- taking once again.
Lightfoot Introduction & Lightfoot performing
“Knotty Pine” - “All The Lovely Ladies” - “East Of Midnight” - David came back up and said he’d taken a poll and none of the musicians in the house and no one wanted to follow that…
This was now intermission and time for folks to head to the merchandise table and support the artists there tonight.

I had made my way to a centre set of stairs leading to the stage and sat there to record Lightfoot as he sang. A gentleman who was also sitting there asked if I could send him MP3’s or copies of the video. I said sure and asked who I would send them to. He said to send them here, to Hugh’s Room..he owns Hugh’s Room..lol

I headed back to the bar area where our Ron Jones was along with my daughter and get some fresh air. After a few minutes Lightfoot came down the stairs into the bar area and walked over where I was. We spoke for a moment only because he was on his way back to his seat as the second half of the show was about to start. David was standing there and I asked him to take a quick picture, which he did and then I snapped one of him with Lightfoot. We both thanked him and the show began again.

Lisa and I had stayed downtown on Friday and Saturday nights but had to vacate our room at the Marriott at 1 p.m. on Sunday. That meant we had to find things to do until early evening when we would head to Hugh’s. So that meant some shopping, eating and we also went to a movie to stay out of the bloody cold. We were also carting around a suitcase and backpack along Yonge Street. The streets were brown and gritty and the wind was howling but being properly bundled up it wasn’t too bad. On Friday and Saturday nights we had reservations for dinner and show and because Lightfoot usually shows up for the Saturday show I didn’t book seats for the Sunday show… I got a couple of calls earlier in the week telling me that Lightfoot would be there on Sunday!
Dear Jory took care of things for us so we wouldn’t miss the last night. Having taken the GO train into Toronto we would be taking it home as well…except that the last train leaves at 12:15 and the shows are not usually over until close to midnight. There’s no way to get to Union Station in that time frame – we also had to take the subway first before getting to Union Station. It’s about a 25 minute trip with on transfer to the southbound line. BUT – there was a 1:20 a.m. bus heading to Whitby that we could make if we left shortly after the show ended.

Goodbyes were said to Mr. Fiedler and Lightfoot, Jory, David and Ron, Bruce Good and a few others while we loaded up our gear and headed out into the early morning cold. After our subway and bus rides we were home at 2:20 a.m. And at 7:45 a.m. my little daycare toddlers were at the door…and we all napped for a couple of hours on Monday afternoon! And Tuesday too…

I am so blessed to live close enough to Toronto to get to these sorts of events and to see Lightfoot in these moments that are so unique. The blessings that have come into my life through my love of Lightfoot music cannot be measured. It is just not possible. There are the fans I’ve met who have become friends, the musicians who so graciously adore Lightfoot and have accepted one slightly obsessed fan into their fold, and Lightfoot himself who seems to be okay with the fact that when he looks over his shoulder he knows I’ll be tagging along….
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #27
niffer

Great job of reporting, Char! You captured the atmosphere really well.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #28
Jenney

You may have outdone yourself on this one Char, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love getting the video as well, although I know firsthand just how much more special it is in person.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #29
buzzard

Amen to that Jenney!

Char, thanks so much for the posts and the video . . . next best thing to being there.
I've been reading and listening and relistening since I got home from work (over two hours ago).
I just decided that next year, dead of winter or not, I'm going to be there.
Thanks again Char.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #30
2silent2breal

Thanks so much for sharing Char. What an experience for you and your writing makes me feel like I was there and jealous that I wasn't. I'm always looking for new (to me) music and you've given me several that I have to explore.

Gord sounds good, should be a great 2011.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #31
brink-

What great fun, thanks for sharing. The place looks packed. I really like Dave Matheson, he has a great voice a little different sounding, his lead guitar player is fantastic.
Pretty soon people are going to be asking for your autograph.
Thanks, too RJ. Glad you got home fine. See you in May.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #32
lighthead2toe

Hey Char, you came through again, just like that curious moonbeam dancing on the floor. You didn't miss a trick gal, pro that you are. Gord knows and that's why you're in his camp.
It will take a while for me to come down from that experience.
It was like none other.
On the Saturday night when a place was made available for me right up front at the table with Johanna and Kenyon I thought I would melt in the chair. Kenyon and I are from the same bolt of cloth with our Gibson B45 connection.

That place was like a power house. You could almost feel it climbing the windows and walls. It's a wonder the ceiling didn't lift an inch or so.
Imagine being in a room where one could casually saunter up to any of those performers, Gord included and just engage in a chat. No"nose in the air" with that crowd, that's for sure.
Like James Keelaghan said "all from the pen of that one man."

I have to say that those Good Brothers are the most entertaining bunch of guys.
Their "off stage "show is equally as enjoyable as their "on stage' show.

If anyone gets word on how to reserve tickets for all four shows next year please keep me "in the loop."
I'll start saving my nickels now. It will be worth every one.
RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #33
charlene

I'm sure Jory will let me know when Hugh's is taking reservations and I will let you know.
It really is an up close and personal kind of event, no pretensions at all. One of the greatest things was when so much of the audience took in a collective gasp of air when it was clear that the man being celebrated was in the house and was going to sing. It was chiling to hear it.
Yeah the Good Brothers are a lot of fun. I'm sure they could write a book. It was a terrific look into the past when he read that trip report of Lightfoot's...you could tell it's all about the details for him, back then and now...details.
Jory has his hands full for the 4 shows next year...I have no doubt it will be a smash success with some wonderful surprises. I can't wait!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #34
Melissa

Great review, Char. Thanks for that.
Those videos were awesome. I've watched them over and over. Wow, Gord doing "East of Midnight" - how cool is that!
May can't come soon enough!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #35
RM

Yet another A+ report. Thanks for that, and, if the other artists know, I'm sure they appreciate you taking the time to post links to their web sites.

Do you think a larger venue would be appropriate for these gatherings ? Or does a large part of the 'magic' arise from a small, up-close-and-personal locale ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #36
lighthead2toe

Most definitely the latter, RM.

Hugh's Room has that special ambiance that just seems to naturally create the right atmosphere for the artists who perform there and in return the audiences who attend these performances show their utmost respect.

When Gord got up there to perform you could hear a pin drop and the room was full to capacity.

The Hugh's Room website shows the many fine entertainers that are drawn to perform there and many return from time to time, sometimes for a concert or to launch a new recording.

Cheers,
RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #37
charlene

While Lightfoot was up onstage this year (and previous years) I wondered if he (and Bernie Fiedler) thought it was like going back in time to The Riverboat days..small,crowded venue, people captivated by the music...
A larger space would take away the intimacy and uniqueness of the shows there. Thank gawd there's no smoking anymore..lol
Old 01-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #38
charlene

this is from Jory:

1) There is context, and history, and symbiosis. When we started this project 9 years ago Hugh's Room was new, still finding its musical footing, as we were with the show. They treated us well from the start (the artists are fed full dinners each night, compliments of Hugh's Room and given two drink tickets each night...and with about 20 people in the show each year that is a hefty gift), and over the years the venue has grown in popularity in tandem with the show. Hugh's Room has a massive mailing list, a full time staff taking ticket orders, doing press releases, posters, etc. No other 200 seat venue I know of does the publicity work that Hugh's Room does.

Also, Hugh's Room has had its ups and downs financially, especially every January. One year I was told that our 3 sold out nights (with over 500 dinners served) basically kept the lights on that month and was the reason they made payroll/expenses. They are very fortunate to have us. But people MUST understand that 90% of the artists involved over the years (myself especially) would have much less successful careers if not for Hugh's Room, and its enduring 10 year run. The Way We Feel probably would not have happened without Hugh's Room. It's that simple, and it's why I will ALWAYS do the January shows there. We owe it to the people who work at and run the place.

2) We have on occasion taken the show on the road to 500 seat theatres across Ontario, theatres that do not conflict with rooms that Gordon himself plays (he generally only plays 1500+ seaters). I am currently planning on taking this show on the road again in March/April 2013 to 500-600 seat rooms across Ontario and eventually the rest of Canada.

3) One day, in about 10 years when Gord finally slows down and retires from playing, we will do this show at his shrine, in Toronto at Massey Hall. But only then, and only with his and Bernie's blessing and support.

Cheers,
Jory Nash
www.jorynash.com
www.myspace.com/jorynash
www.maplemusic.com/artists/jna/default.asp
2009 Penguin Eggs Magazine Album of the Year for "New Blue Day"
2010 CFMA Nominee for "New Blue Day"
Old 01-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #39
jj

ahh, jory's response makes sense (after the awkwardness of the first event there, i asked the "why hugh's?" question and now the answer comes)...it's terrific for the artists and hugh's and about 20% of the audience...the sound is great for the other 80% but they just see talking heads/singing heads on stage

hugh's is great for locals and those riding the rails...and it's well worth the drive (seedy parking and jay walk, lol) in at least once in one's lifetime

there are 150 full bladders that await 1 stall and 1 urinal (can't speak for the ladies wc) so rj really deserves the golden prostate award for coping!...and most stages are elevated but the staged performers at hugh's are in a sunken area that is better suited for a pit band...perhaps a retrofit in order

to answer rm's question: even when it goes back on the road to theatres (vs dinner theatre) or Massey, the living room, warm and fuzzy will endure...thank to the compositions and anecdotes...i request less food and drink and more female acts! lol...of course, the elbow rub with gord will not be there, nor the green room stairway, but it seems like a fair tradeoff, imo

OK, i was glad to see the Dala brunette up there with Barber (his lovely and talented sis would also have been welcome)...i love her wiggle dance...everything but the feet move, lol......ya know, i don't know how people sing and smile simultaneously...check this video out )

i loved the backing job they did for Lori's SFAWN...from what i hear, Lori stole the show again but depends on your taste, obviously

just my opinion but i think GL doing one tune up there is more than enough at his own tribute...i really do like that hair trim he got, looking fine all around and evidently in good spirits! i chuckled when the gal chose Bobby McGee and jory let her go ahead (not sure how far in advance that chat took place) but i'd have said "well, you only have 250 other GL originals to choose from!" lol

i digress...ron and char, those are GREAT words you've shared with us...char deserves those 40 thumbs up from those artists and ron, well you SO deserve the newfie royalty treatment that you got...big hi to K+J also!...i really got a lift from your kind message, rj...glad you traveled safe back west

thank you for the setlists and videos, char...even hough they might not do the performers or ambience full justice, the masses here are so fortunate to get a small scoop of that weekend's events...what great pics also...i wonder if james dean will have some of his pro ones....and rj, your review was also fine as fine can be (i only throw in the lyrical phrase to pay homage to you, not to be annoyingly corny, lol)

finally, thank you david and jory and hope it was a fruitful event for hugh's and that the artists sold a ton of cd's maybe i'll video next year, however my cam is not as discreet as chars, lol...then again, it sounds like the owner might finally be cool with video in the house (it's taken 9 years to mellow and appreciate the keepsake, eh )

well, cu in the spring, jj
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #40
charlene

James wasn't at the shows this year...
Ali Eisner (creator and puppeteer of Yamma Mamma kids show on CBC) took pics tho. I have contacted her.
Here is one of her pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alieisner/
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #41
jj

terrific!...wow, what intensity...and looks like Gord's hair grew back another inch during his set, lol

you must ask Ali (i've searched and searched) if there is an online archive (youtube or cbc, etc) of all yama mama musical guests over the years...it must give goose bumps to be more or less filling the shoes of Judith Lawrence

btw, some ignorant youtuber was harsh on commenting on david's uke rendition...i thought it was cool, maybe a bit low but that's poetic license of the mc...yeah, maybe a capo halfway up the uke (that sounds painful, lol) might have been a good idea...i dunno, i've never seen a capo on a uke....anyhow, that commenter would be surprised to learn that david probably got a large hug (rather than a small beating) from an appreciative gord
Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #42
charlene

yeah nylawyer has posted his thoughts about a few videos..he's been 'blocked' from my youtube channel. ignoramus..

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...snum=0&spell=1
Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #43
2silent2breal

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
t I am currently planning on taking this show on the road again in March/April 2013 to 500-600 seat rooms across Ontario and eventually the rest of Canada.
I can only hope that he would consider bringing this to the western part of the states. Mind you, I'm due for a trip up north and would love to come to Toronto (never been), but I would be thrilled to have something like this come to my neighborhood.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #44
jj

maybe that will happen, an earlier tribute tour (trio of jory, aengus and terry tufts) played some US dates and i believe a few here caught one (there are pics, no?)...i've caught the tribute in a theatre setting and it felt like a house concert...150 comfy, A1 view seats...no food or booze, just coffee, cookies and a Lightfoot high...almost any venue will do when there's talent and respect in the air

thanks for the link, char...yeah, i'd only found Serena...there should be tons more and a dedicated channel such as the qtv music one, the Hour one, etc

hey, check out the quality level of this video cam (taken at Hugh's...maybe it's Ali's)...that's what we want to see for the next tribute...to heck with the royalty flack, this is 2011, lol

YouTube - Another Year to Wait.mov
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #45
charlene

The shows were on the road one year with a full cast - I saw them in Port Hope, I think they went to Ottawa and a few other spots. I saw Jory, Aengus and Suzie VInnick in Whitby. Nov.2004 I flew to Connecticut to meet up with Jenney and then we drove to a fabulous log cabin in New Jersey and met up with The Fowles, Billyboy and Diane if I recallto see Jory, Aengus and Terry Tufts in the edited version of the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF-JN-p2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	4099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Terry Tufts, Jory Nash, Aengus Finan 11'04.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	4101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Terry Tufts 11'04.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	4102   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF-JN-p1.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	4103   Click image for larger version

Name:	JN-CW-AF-p2.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	4104  

Name:	Aengus Finan-2 11'04.jpg
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	4105   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0028.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	4106   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0029.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	4107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	513.4 KB
ID:	4108   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0002.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	520.6 KB
ID:	4109  

Name:	PIC_0004.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	4110   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0012.jpg
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	4111   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0013.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	4112   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0014.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	538.8 KB
ID:	4113  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #46
jj

awesome pics char...i dont even recall a full ensemble road show, cool

love the Capitol pic...i drive by often but never been past the box office...but next trip to that neck of the woods i'll be bringing my sars-wear, lol

btw, hugh's room staff have always been top notch (love the wall painting/artist promo idea also) whether i've been well positioned or hunched on a backless stool or rubbing elbows back at the bar ...keep those lights on!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #47
charlene

the art work a couple of weeks ago was amazing..too pricey for me but it was lovely stuff..
The Capitol is a beautiful old theatre, fully restored..all the 'ushers' were seniors with white shirts, black pants and burgundy brocade vests...old time, small town courtesy..nice.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #48
charlene

Hugh's Room has a youtube channel
Lightfoot - All the Lovely Ladies and Ron Nigrini - Steel Rail Blues warmup
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hughsroom#p/u/4/QeU-n5g0I8c

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hughsroom#p/u/2/-AAm7sHRKvM