banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2000, 03:37 AM   #1
Dorothea

This may seem trivial.
But,just who is that lady on the cover of "COTS".
Is it a painting on a canvas?

Its a contender for the best album cover.

The worst?
It has to be "Shadows".

Just goes to show you should never judge the content by the packaging.
{Its such a great album}

In your opinion which is the best and worst album cover?
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 06:54 AM   #2
Gord

The woman on the cover of COTS is I believe Cathy Evelyn Smith, the same one who was convicted of murdering John Belushi. Gord dated her years ago and I remember seeing her stroll down the aisle at Massey Hall back in 88 along with Pee Wee Charles. I agree worst cover is Shadows, doesn't look like Gord. Best cover IMHO has to be Summertime Dream, a great LP and the best one to get autographed.
Old 04-25-2000, 07:40 AM   #3
Jenney

According to the notes on the album cover, if I remember correctly, the woman is Jan Stephanson.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 09:59 AM   #4
fezo

Right on Jan Stephanson.

Best cover - I always liked "Summer Side of Life" - that big close-up of Gord in his "handsome young stud" days.

Worst cover? "Waiting for You." He looks like Joe Cocker's grandfather. I was greatly relieved when I saw the pictures on "Painter Passing Through" - he looks like the older guy that the "handsome young stud" grew up to be.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 10:15 AM   #5
Florian

I like the cover of "Back Here on Earth" a lot.

The worst ever is "Hubda a slova" (Czech release of Cold on the shoulder)
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 02:40 PM   #6
stormshadow

My vote for worst album cover goes to Salute. What's the deal with that outfit, and doesn't he look like he's been drunk for two weeks straight? The only thing worse than that picture are most of the album's songs. Biscuit City, what the hell was he thinking?
The best is probably Old Dan's Records.

Gord is one of the finest songwriters of the second half of the twentieth century.
Old 04-25-2000, 03:08 PM   #7
Dorothea

-- snip --

Hi Frank v,

I was changing your email address in your profile as requested . During that process, I posted this message and did not notice that it came up under your name.

Sorry.

-Florian

[Note: This message has been edited by Florian Bodenseher]
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 04:15 PM   #8
Wes Steele

Don Quixote to me is the best album cover. Take a look at the background. It's beautiful. I would like to know where that was taken.

There are no bad ones. Every cover has a message or a theme.

The "Endless Wire" cover is interesting. The picture was taken from the hotel room he was staying at in Las Vegas. The road that you see is the road that is next to the old Ceasars Palace.

They only used half of his face for the "Old Dan's Records" because he had the problem with the Bells Palsey. That is one of my favorite's also.

Florian, I can't believe you don't like the cover for "Hubda a slova". It's great. Do you like the cover for the Italian album "Easta De Menza Note Midnight"?

Every album cover looks great but my all time favorite one is the one you find when you are casually looking walking through the record store, checking out the GL section, and to your surprise, GL has a new ablum out. That has happend to me with, "East Of Midnight", "Waiting For You", "Cold On The Shoulder", "Shadows", as well as a couple more. Hey, we didn't have the internet to tell us what was going on.

I can remember the anticipation of taking the album home and listening through it the first time.

Wes
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 04:27 PM   #9
chris

Wes, et al,
I agree. I still remember that feeling of walking into the record store, saying to myself "I bet there won't be anything here" just so I wouldn't be too disappointed, and then finding one! I love the Don Quixote cover also. It's interesting that you see that jacket show up in other photos over the years. Well, interesting to me anyway. The only one I'm not wild about is Dream Street Rose, I think because it's not a real photo. By the way, the cover photo on Endless Wire was taken by Cathy Coonley, she is credited somewhere in the liner notes for it. I also disagree on Salute -- I think that is a great soulful picture that says alot, as Wes has pointed out. I even like Shadows because it seems to be reflective of that time in GL's life. But speaking of great covers -- how about LIGHTFOOT! Now that's a great photo. Interesting topic.

chris

------------------
"It took most of my time to do what never was done" -- GL

[This message has been edited by chris (edited April 25, 2000).]
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 12:53 AM   #10
Florian

Hi stormshadow,

quote:My vote for worst album cover goes to Salute. What's the deal with that outfit, and doesn't he look like he's been drunk for two weeks straight?

I've find this cover to be one of the better ones, it's theme is very well chosen.

In my opinion, the picture tells us that Gordon Lightfoot was obviously the first to arrive behind the stage. It's probably around lunch time and he waits for his crew to assemble the soundset on stage.

Look at the empty green chairs in the back - in a few hours they will be filled with people who are happy to hear the Minstrel sing. I can almost hear them cheering as he enters the stage.

Now that's what I call a good theme for an album cover, given the fact that Gordon Lightfoot enjoys touring/performing very much.

I will not comment at all about Gordon Lightfoot looking drunk - that remark is too stupid to rectify a response.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 01:09 AM   #11
Janice

I also like the Summer Side Of Life cover but another cover from the "hansome young stud" stage comes to mind...Gord's Gold. Same pensive eyes and pout. To my eye, the beard's a plus.

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 07:44 AM   #12
Frank v

Well Stormshadow,
We're going to have to disagree about Salute the album!
(What's the weather like on Mars at the moment?On Earth it's been raining the last couple of days.)

Sorry Florian...
By the way,those Parisian nights couldn't compensate for the loss of your website!

It's just as well nobody's mentioned Sunday Concert,it could have been confusing.At the last count,there have been five different covers.In the UK the blue one was the original.I quite like that one.He looks like a scholar with his glasses on,aginst the Massey Hall background.
Dream Street Rose is good because it's got the band members on the back.If ever they release it on CD,I hope they stick with the original packaging.

Frank v.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 12:20 PM   #13
midnightmisty

I love the Gords Gold II photo of Gordon. Again, no smile, but there is a hint of happiness in his face, and a satisfaction in his eyes and stature (arms folded across his chest). Very nice...
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 12:20 PM   #14
sandyo

I love the Gords Gold II photo of Gordon. Again, no smile, but there is a hint of happiness in his face, and a satisfaction in his eyes and stature (arms folded across his chest). Very nice...
sandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 06:49 PM   #15
Catharine

Terry Clements said that Gord thinks he looks like Victor Newman from the Young and Restless on the East of Midnight Album cover! That's exactly what I thought!
Old 04-26-2000, 11:18 PM   #16
Rob Wells

Worst....Salute. Just doesn't hit me right for some reason.

I know this is going to sound out there, but the cover I'm fondest of is the UA cover of Gordon Lightfoot Hits, Vol I. Someone painted an unbelievable painting of Gord. It really captures him, I think.
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 02:40 PM   #17
Christian

I have to agree with FEZO there; it actually came as a shock when I took my first look at the "Waiting For You" cover. I really thought Gord was terminally ill, especially when leafing through the lyrics after having passed the check-out.
Not only is the photography very unfortunate; I think all of the WFY artwork looks like a rush job.
I was also very relieved upon seeing a familar face on the APPT cover five years later again.
My vote for favorite cover goes to "Cold on the Shoulder", by the way. Both the cover and the artwork seem to reflect a lot of the person behind the songs.

Old 04-27-2000, 03:38 PM   #18
rainydayperson

The covers can be divided into smoking and non-smoking, and guitar playing and non-playing. 'Smoking' covers include some of his best: Summertime Dream and Sundown; guitar playing are also good: Don Quixote (which actually seems as if he is singing the tracks to you), Cold on the Shoulder, and the backs of Shadows and Salute. The Gibson 12 string features in Sundown and the back of Endless Wire. My favourite is the back of East of Midnight, happy and yet self-effacing(with a rather strange seat with an apple on it!).

------------------
As cool as the breeze on the last days of April
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2000, 06:35 PM   #19
potter

I have not studied all of the album covers, although I could thanks to this wonderful website, but I do like the photos on the 'Waiting For You' cover. GL appears relaxed and contented in the photos, as if he has come home safely from a long journey.

I also am partial to the back of the 'Salute' LP with Gordo adourned in his patchwork denim, white cowboy boots, and what appears to be ball fringe jeans.

potter

'And maybe someday things will change
And come with in range and be laughable
Everything is okay
I can tell by the way that you dance
They say that people don't try
That's just a lie, they work miracles
It's a gift from above
When we talk about love and romance'

GL

potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2000, 07:51 PM   #20
ZSmythe

I would have to say that my favorite GL album cover picture would have to be "Summer Side Of Life" the close up of a long haired Gordon Lightfoot in black and white, his head tited. I can't seem to figure out what that white bloch is on his shoulder. That cover photo reminds me a little of Engelbert Humperdink. He also has a grey shadow shading his face, it really makes me want to look at it longer. I never seem to get my eyes off of it. It's just too attracting. My least favorite GL cover photo would have to be Gords' Gold II. He seems to look very disgusted. Almost like he's mad at somebody. The fact that he has his arms cross-folded expresses being defensive towards someone or something. I would imagine he was going through a real bad time, when that picture was taken.
Old 11-24-2000, 09:18 PM   #21
Dan O'Malley

I like "Biscuit City"! Best cover's got to be "Salute", worst: "Dream Street Rose". Although I love the album.

------------------
Dan O'Malley
Dan O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2000, 12:00 AM   #22
Patrick Kelleher

Best Cover? Tossup between these two:
Lightfoot! --- Like James Dean with a guitar. Very cool.
Gord's Gold II --- Very classy. Nice to see him looking well again (after Salute).

Worst Cover? Tough to say because they al have so much character. But I would say the worst is Summer Side of Life --- He looks like he has a cramp. Nevertheless, it's an excellent album, easily in my personal top five.
Patrick Kelleher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2000, 12:00 AM   #23
jeff

Best Cover? Tossup between these two:
Lightfoot! --- Like James Dean with a guitar. Very cool.
Gord's Gold II --- Very classy. Nice to see him looking well again (after Salute).

Worst Cover? Tough to say because they al have so much character. But I would say the worst is Summer Side of Life --- He looks like he has a cramp. Nevertheless, it's an excellent album, easily in my personal top five.
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2000, 01:15 PM   #24
Wingdrops

The Shadows cover is terrible, a visual joke that did not need to be made (the ODR cover approach would have fit it better). Waiting for You is bad, but saved by the picture on the back. But the one I dislike most is Back Here on Earth. It looks so phony.

Best? What about Songbook? The cover is a great selection. A retreat from the shock of the two prior releases. (I don't like to be reminded that I'm getting older. Actually, I'm not, but seeing Gord grow older makes me question whether I'm right.) I think the Songbook cover pictures a mature, evolved Gord, one who has survived a wild youth without losing the spark of interest in life. IMHO.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2000, 01:15 PM   #25
2Much2Lose

The Shadows cover is terrible, a visual joke that did not need to be made (the ODR cover approach would have fit it better). Waiting for You is bad, but saved by the picture on the back. But the one I dislike most is Back Here on Earth. It looks so phony.

Best? What about Songbook? The cover is a great selection. A retreat from the shock of the two prior releases. (I don't like to be reminded that I'm getting older. Actually, I'm not, but seeing Gord grow older makes me question whether I'm right.) I think the Songbook cover pictures a mature, evolved Gord, one who has survived a wild youth without losing the spark of interest in life. IMHO.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote