banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Borderstone

Default Michael and the saddest day.

I'm in a state of mind right now where I'm sad and joyless.

It's unreal to me the news I've seen today. It was there on the TV but I couldn't believe it.

In what felt like a dream where one can't feel anything,I watched on the news a story none would think possible.

Michael Jackson dies at age 50 from a stroke. I stood frozen at this TV,right there in the grocery store's Starbucks like gathering area. It was just not possible.

It sadly is true thoguh. A man an entertainer most of us had known through his music and appearences for 40 years was suddenly gone.

This after weeks of other entertainers saying good bye and another saying goodbye the same day. It was just too much to take now. I came home and cried. I looked at all of my Michael Jackson and Jackson 5/Jacksons albums and wept.

In mostly my teen years,the MTV era,Michael was the central figure. The King of pop as Elizabeth Taylor called him. There was no one bigger in music or entertainment and i bought all that he had to offer. I even have on top of my TV right now,a photo of me at age 15,holding up my Thriller cassette and wearing my MJ Thriller T-Shirt,of which I still have both.

I rooted for him during his later troubles in the 90s but i never judged him guilty or innocnet and certianly did not judge him personally. I only knew him as Michael Jackson,singer,dancer and showman.

Michael's 40 year story closed it's book today but I'm sure for most,it's an unfinished work.

Rest in peace Michael,I know you are now at peace and in God's house,where everyone loves you unconditionally.

Last edited by Borderstone; 06-25-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Michael and the saddest day.

Very sad indeed Borderstone.

I have the album "Thriller" which I will no doubt listen to today, (50 millions sold, incredible) !!!
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
formerlylavender

I was so sad too. What an awful shock. My son came in and told me, and I thought he was kidding. I grew up in the '80s with MTV and Michael Jackson was such a large part of that. You can't understand unless you were there at that time. I'm so sad for him and for all of us.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
jj

I was there at the time but must have been immersed in other stuff but i do remember an aerobics instructor who would like to use songs like Beat It and Billie Jean and as I tried to keep pace I remember thinking those were pretty catchy grooves

I hear him described as musical genius...I didnt even know he played an instrument or wrote...could any fans recommend some of his best melodic and/or lyrical pieces as I'd like to check them out...I know he cowrote We Are the World which is a nice one and definitely sounds Richie-ish

he was a cute kid and looked like he was having fun in the teen footage I've seen of him and his bros...I don't know what wires got crossed following that...my condolences to Prince 1, 2, 3...a life taken too early...hang in there, B...you'll pull through
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Nightingale

I wasn't a huge fan but I thought he was really talented. I don't think anyone could resist the Thriller album...such good music on that one

I hope he has found peace now. I don't think he had much on this side of life.

Hugs to you Walter....I feel for you. It's so hard when you lose someone that you
admire that much. He was way too young to leave us.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
charlene

He was quite the showman.
I saw him at Exhibition Stadium in 84 or 85 I think..Stood on my chair the whole time as did the whole floor section.
He certainly made a massive impact on the shape of pop music, dance and music videos.
I hope he has some peace at last.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Gitchigumee

Thank you for the very nice tribute, Borderstone. I have been so sad for the past 24 hours. I have found a clip on You Tube of his performance on the Sonny & Cher show of singing "Ben" when he was 13. It breaks my heart.
He was a very sweet, innocent and naive person. I believe his heart was pure, and I pray that he is finally at peace. God knows he did not find it here on earth.

Be at Peace, Michael. I feel privileged to have grown up with you and wherever you are, I hope that you can feel all the love being expressed toward you...finally.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."

Last edited by Gitchigumee; 06-26-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
Borderstone

Thanks for that wonderfule clip Gitch. It is heartbreaking to see now but it's also a great way to remember him before everyone started being so cruel to him.

Hugs right back to you Nightengale. You know,I wonder if Michael would have ever written a song with that title? Nightengale" by Michael Jackson....sounds fitting for him.

J.J. , Some of Michael's best lyrical & meodic songs are the ballads.

My favorite overall is "Will You Be There" from the "Free Willy" movie but it's also on the album Dangerous from 1991. It's the most beautifully arranged song he ever performed. "Gone Too Soon" is also from that album plus "Heal The World".

Ironically,"Gone To Soon" was released as the 8th single from that album in 1993 but it did not become a hit. I still have that single with him and Ryan White on the front.

Ben of course is another,"Got To Be There" is another that reaches me as well.

From "Off The Wall" is "She's Out Of My Life" and "Rock With You"

Thriller's melodic pair are "Human Nature" and "The Lady In My Life"

Bad has " I Just Can't Stop Loving You" , " Man in The Mirror " and " Liberian Girl ".

Aside from this sad feeling that is still fresh,the only other thing bothering me is that people are now rushing out to buy his music. Where were they when he needed their support? I find it very hypocritical that they want to buy it "now".

I'm glad I finished last month. I thankfully have a lot of his videos and performances here. They were originally on tapes i recorded off of TV in the early '90s and last year I transposed them to self recorded DVDs.

Last edited by Borderstone; 06-27-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post

Aside from this sad feeling that is still fresh,the only other thing bothering me is that people are now rushing out to buy his music. Where were they when he needed their support?
Off to the side, waiting for him to quit being so bizarre. He's bizarre no more.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
timetraveler

I must say that, while I was never a fan, I followed many of the news stories that would pop up about him, and it seemed that the more I heard, the more tragic a figure he seemed to be. I actually ended up feeling sorry for him. Noow, the ones that I REALLY feelm sorry for now are his children, not so much because they've lost a parent, but because of all the BS that's getting ready to hit the proverbial fan once someone gets the bright idea to fight for custody of them & whatever money & property that's been left to them. God be with those poor kids.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post
fight for custody of them & whatever money & property that's been left to them. God be with those poor kids.
ok, I just learned the name of his ex(s)..this one's no diva

and I don't think she wants dem kids...never say trust me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	debbieroweSPLASH_468x746.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2747  
Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
jj

imo, this is the best MJ (+sis) ever looked...hair, nose, chin

...i wonder if are there any pics of joan rivers as a child
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storage.canoe.ca.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	2751  
Old 07-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #13
Jesse Joe

Great stuff ColoradoSue, thanks for posting this !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
charlene

it's nice that he's left such a legacy of dance and music for generations to come. never was crazy about all the crotch grabbing tho..

i feel very sad that the recognition and adulation he so desperately sought due to his childhood chaos may have been too much for his hurting soul and that once again a supremely talented megastar suffered while those around him could not or did not do enough to help him.

it's very sad.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #15
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
never was crazy about all the crotch grabbing tho..
forgot to throw in the 'alleged' qualifier...I agree, very slick/crisp dance style

after dozing through the 80/90's, i've learned so much this week but some facts are the opposite of the truth - i was wrong in a tidbit earlier, the 'mother' actually does want the children...then again, somewhere else I'd read she wasn't the bio-mother..an other gals' eggs were used as well as another fella's fertilizers...this has to be the most odd blend of black and white trash players

even north of the border there's headlines http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=283527

ps) missed hearing our 25th Gov General died, just not quite so news worthy
Old 07-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #16
jj

thanks for this clip, i recognize this song from a lot of AC radio play over the years, for sure...she looks appealing here and he looks and sounds happy...the voice i really like is the brother bass player that kicks in

it's a clever video comp that works but the unison section is not pleasant, imo

B, I've sampled some of those ballads you listed..thanks, I think my ears would appreciate a nice female voice delivering them, eg) say, Karen Carpenter...another over-slim, perfectionist

if there's an AC Heaven, you know they'll have a heck of a band...some smooth duets anyhow
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
RM

For those interested, there is a 2003 documentary called "Living with Michael Jackson" that was aired on MSNBC last night. Lo and behold, it's also available on You Tube. It's a fascinating and disturbing glimpse into his behavior.

Here's a link to part one of 9. Take it from there if you wish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RDCDLLIm8
Old 07-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #18
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
I was there at the time but must have been immersed in other stuff but i do remember an aerobics instructor who would like to use songs like Beat It and Billie Jean and as I tried to keep pace I remember thinking those were pretty catchy grooves
Now let me get this straight: you were trying to date the instructor or at least you were stalking her ?? Don't tell me you were her "student" ! Enrolled in her class ? C'mon man what were you thinking ?

(sorry couldn't resist - do you still have your Richard Simmons tapes ?)

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
Now let me get this straight
I may have been going through a Bruno phase YouTube - Bruno - Official Trailer

hey Bill, I'm not the one who wears hot pink shirts to Gord concerts

have a great weekend by the pool (we're going through an ice age up here)
Old 07-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #20
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
hey Bill, I'm not the one who wears hot pink shirts to Gord concerts

have a great weekend by the pool (we're going through an ice age up here)
Point taken - I may have been "projecting" ! You're all welcome to come on down. We only have two guests scheduled and we have food for about 20 ! Love to have you !

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #21
RM

If you are a Jackson fan, this may be offensive. I am not, and never have been, so I find it hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwY1muikiY

ps : the comedian, Richard Jeni, was a tormented soul himself, and committed suicide several years ago.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
Patti

Thanks, RM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppEYGLxT-NQ
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #23
jj

glad he was captivating through his dancing cos this is perhaps the most lame & odd 4 mins I've sat through the past year on youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I am not...
hmmm, if I'm not mistaken, rm appears at the 1:19 mark

...glad he was among friends today ...in hindsight, he really should have been using Smokey's surgeon, fine work ...looks like his kids will have a solid support network, am glad

was wondering who the Canuck equivalent of (UK) Lady Di and Michael (US) is/was/would be...Dionne Quints, The Rocket, John Candy, not quite sure really

anyhow, it aint over til it's over ...but i think it's finally, finally over

btw, imo, if all he ever did was open the door for blacks, that is worth a large celebration...this is what Queen Latifah (sp) stated and from what I've observed, she seems to have credibility/a good head on her shoulders

Last edited by jj; 07-07-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #24
RM

Quote:
hmmm, if I'm not mistaken, rm appears at the 1:19 mark
No, you are not mistaken. I was in an ecstatic mood after successfully completing my second 'moon walk'. Others may say I simply slipped in the shower.......but they lie.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #25
jj

ok, half-assed replies are uncalled for

btw, that wristband just doubled in value...ebay is calling

I've not heard an MJ cover before (I had been searching for a clip of him composing or playing) but these French guys look like they're having fun...I can't make out lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlGu3...eature=channel

Last edited by jj; 07-08-2009 at 01:04 AM.