banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-14-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
Thaler

Like many of you, I have been a fan of Gord's from the outset. He has been a companion to me in time of solitude, or loneliness.....he has enhanced moments of romance, and brought warmth on cold cold days. But most importantly, talents like Gord, but especially so with Gord, remind us that in a world that has grown so ugly in the past few years, so threatening, so filled with stress, that there is still so much beauty around us. Whether it's music culled from the new release, or treasures from his precious discography, I'm constantly reminded by that voice, those hooks, often his lyrics, that there is still much to embrace in the world. Indeed, an important reminder.
Thaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
Baz

Send a message via ICQ to Baz

Like many of you, I have been a fan of Gord's from the outset. He has been a companion to me in time of solitude, or loneliness.....he has enhanced moments of romance, and brought warmth on cold cold days. But most importantly, talents like Gord, but especially so with Gord, remind us that in a world that has grown so ugly in the past few years, so threatening, so filled with stress, that there is still so much beauty around us. Whether it's music culled from the new release, or treasures from his precious discography, I'm constantly reminded by that voice, those hooks, often his lyrics, that there is still much to embrace in the world. Indeed, an important reminder.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
Borderstone

Hey Baz,no matter what has ever happened to me or in this world (even 9/11) I have never forgotten that there's still wonderful things that exist. Even if the two legged creatures destroy themselves,the beautiful things about the earth will live on....with no one there to see it. Wouldn't that be pity?

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Baz,

Neat website you've got there. Try this for a week: Turn off your TV and throw the newspapers away BEFORE you read them and play HARMONY until you know every note and phrase by heart. I bet you'll feel great at the end of the week - or better. Just a thought, or as some might say a good 'idear'.

Peace,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
Thaler

Bord., it was even before 9/11, but that was a bone cruncher, esp. for those of us in the NY area.....the world has gotten so damn uncivil....TV reflects that; reality shows are opportunity to demean others, to invade the privacy of others, even tho they do so willingly, but our voyeuristic tendencies can be sated; so I hear ya, and yes there are many beautiful things to enjoy....books, music, good friends, laughter, and so on; someone like Gordon has constantly reminded me of what we still have left to treasure...as for Bill, I am fairly selective, tv wise and newspaper, but I hope tomorrow to pick up Harmony at a Barnes and Noble..thanks
Barry
Old 05-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
Baz

Bord., it was even before 9/11, but that was a bone cruncher, esp. for those of us in the NY area.....the world has gotten so damn uncivil....TV reflects that; reality shows are opportunity to demean others, to invade the privacy of others, even tho they do so willingly, but our voyeuristic tendencies can be sated; so I hear ya, and yes there are many beautiful things to enjoy....books, music, good friends, laughter, and so on; someone like Gordon has constantly reminded me of what we still have left to treasure...as for Bill, I am fairly selective, tv wise and newspaper, but I hope tomorrow to pick up Harmony at a Barnes and Noble..thanks
Barry
Old 05-16-2004, 08:11 PM   #7
Thaler

My Barnes and Noble is 20 miles away..love driving the parkway with music on and then once in, the smell of coffee, with books and music, what a heavenly place....so I go to Lightfoot and they have but 4 cd's, not Harmony.....but the heavens were smiling as I looked up and it was perched atop the racks with other fairly new arrivals, so my drive to work tomorrow, an hour drive each way, will feature Harmony and it's a wonderful part of my job, the opportunity every day to listen to music on a marvelous car system....
a healthy week to one and all
Barry
Old 05-16-2004, 08:11 PM   #8
Baz

My Barnes and Noble is 20 miles away..love driving the parkway with music on and then once in, the smell of coffee, with books and music, what a heavenly place....so I go to Lightfoot and they have but 4 cd's, not Harmony.....but the heavens were smiling as I looked up and it was perched atop the racks with other fairly new arrivals, so my drive to work tomorrow, an hour drive each way, will feature Harmony and it's a wonderful part of my job, the opportunity every day to listen to music on a marvelous car system....
a healthy week to one and all
Barry
Old 05-17-2004, 04:24 AM   #9
BILLW

Barry,

Sounds good, turn it up.

Bill
Old 05-17-2004, 05:58 AM   #10
Borderstone

Now,if I had any idea that Barnes & Noble had Harmony (not to mention sold CD's) I could've saved myself a lot of time! I work right across the street from one!!!

I could've left work,went in and bought it and gone home all within 20 minutes or so! The Tower records I went to was not where I wanted to go. I wanted to go to the newer one in the North Valley but I'd have settled for the bookstore as well.

Back to the topic though,Gordon reminds me of how simple things were (seemingly) when I was younger. Being from Pennsylvania,the terrain there is similar to Canada's,so when he sings of nature and I hear Sundown and his 70's works between 1970 to '76,it reminds me of that place & time. Probably why "End Of All Time" hits my emotional button like it does. Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #11
Thaler

Folks,
I very much enjoyed Harmony on the way in today...favorite song?...have to listen again....Brings to mind something that I noticed on a Board like this for Linda Ronstadt, who is my favorite female singer, and Kenny Loggins, Kenny Rankin, might be true here....people don't want to hear any criticism, one becomes a traitor (e.g. I suggested that Linda Ronstadt blew it with an album of oldies that she tried to sing as lullabyes, and if you listen, she whispers every song, and I named several other albums that were for children at bed time that were better arranged and conceived...you would have thought I said that she couldn't carry a tune, I just meant it was her big disappointment for me...) I bring this up as I've noticed Gordon's articulation of words has changed, and I wonder if it's to accommodate the changes in his voice; aging can do that...There is a 'clipped' quality to his phrases, sentences, even some words, whereas in the earlier days, but not just those first couple, way into Don Quixote and beyond, into Endless Wire and Dream Street Rose..there was more fluidity....I happen to see Gordon for the lst and only time just before his severe illness, several mos. earlier, and he was super....I noticed this change in his phrasing, but when he went thru his songs, one classic after another, and of course, many of the songs were not of the If you Could Read My Mind or Sundown, or Edm. Fitzgerald popularity, but we know them as tremendous songs (Miguel....Cold on the shoulder......) But clearly this album shows that if he recovers his strength, there's more treats ahead for us.....clipped phrasing or not
be well
Barry (Plainview NY, 40 miles east of NYC)
Old 05-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #12
Baz

Folks,
I very much enjoyed Harmony on the way in today...favorite song?...have to listen again....Brings to mind something that I noticed on a Board like this for Linda Ronstadt, who is my favorite female singer, and Kenny Loggins, Kenny Rankin, might be true here....people don't want to hear any criticism, one becomes a traitor (e.g. I suggested that Linda Ronstadt blew it with an album of oldies that she tried to sing as lullabyes, and if you listen, she whispers every song, and I named several other albums that were for children at bed time that were better arranged and conceived...you would have thought I said that she couldn't carry a tune, I just meant it was her big disappointment for me...) I bring this up as I've noticed Gordon's articulation of words has changed, and I wonder if it's to accommodate the changes in his voice; aging can do that...There is a 'clipped' quality to his phrases, sentences, even some words, whereas in the earlier days, but not just those first couple, way into Don Quixote and beyond, into Endless Wire and Dream Street Rose..there was more fluidity....I happen to see Gordon for the lst and only time just before his severe illness, several mos. earlier, and he was super....I noticed this change in his phrasing, but when he went thru his songs, one classic after another, and of course, many of the songs were not of the If you Could Read My Mind or Sundown, or Edm. Fitzgerald popularity, but we know them as tremendous songs (Miguel....Cold on the shoulder......) But clearly this album shows that if he recovers his strength, there's more treats ahead for us.....clipped phrasing or not
be well
Barry (Plainview NY, 40 miles east of NYC)
Old 05-17-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
BILLW

Barry,

East of New York City ? Would that be Long Island ?

Bill
Old 05-17-2004, 05:48 PM   #14
Auburn Annie

He's never been one to slur his lyrics or run words one into another that I can recall - even some reviewers have picked up on his distinct enunciation. He uses it to good effect in, say, The No Hotel, where he says "there's caterers who cater not / And waiters who don't wait a lot...," for example. It may be due to a gradual change in lung function (pre-aneurysm) or just a maturing of style.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:48 PM   #15
Auburn Annie

He's never been one to slur his lyrics or run words one into another that I can recall - even some reviewers have picked up on his distinct enunciation. He uses it to good effect in, say, The No Hotel, where he says "there's caterers who cater not / And waiters who don't wait a lot...," for example. It may be due to a gradual change in lung function (pre-aneurysm) or just a maturing of style.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #16
BILLW

I have also noticed a change in the way he
forms words while singing. With WFY and APPT, I noticed a very subtle not whistle, but sibiliance, I guess when he sings the letter "S". I at first thought that he had experienced some dental problems and maybe had his upper teeth removed and had dentures and was still getting used to them. But in subsequent pictures, I beleieve most, if not all his teeth are his own. (He may have a bridge or something like that). I think it's just a maturing of the muscles in his face/jaw, whatever. I do feel he's way beyond needing to try out a new "style" or presentation. What we hear is what he does and so be it.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #17
Rob1956

I have also noticed a change in the way he
forms words while singing. With WFY and APPT, I noticed a very subtle not whistle, but sibiliance, I guess when he sings the letter "S". I at first thought that he had experienced some dental problems and maybe had his upper teeth removed and had dentures and was still getting used to them. But in subsequent pictures, I beleieve most, if not all his teeth are his own. (He may have a bridge or something like that). I think it's just a maturing of the muscles in his face/jaw, whatever. I do feel he's way beyond needing to try out a new "style" or presentation. What we hear is what he does and so be it.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:54 PM   #18
Thaler

Rob
No I don't think Gordon is doing anything more than adapting to some change in his voice, and mention of his teeth is a fairly good guess, tho one wouldn't know....bottom line, Gordon is tremendous, may he continue giving to us as he has for so long; but, I did look at his discography and I think this change some of us are hearing started 2 or 3 albums ago...
and yes, I think it was Bill, noting that east of NYC is Long Island...I'm the last town in Nassau before larger Suffolk begins...
Barry
Old 05-17-2004, 09:54 PM   #19
Baz

Rob
No I don't think Gordon is doing anything more than adapting to some change in his voice, and mention of his teeth is a fairly good guess, tho one wouldn't know....bottom line, Gordon is tremendous, may he continue giving to us as he has for so long; but, I did look at his discography and I think this change some of us are hearing started 2 or 3 albums ago...
and yes, I think it was Bill, noting that east of NYC is Long Island...I'm the last town in Nassau before larger Suffolk begins...
Barry
Old 05-19-2004, 05:08 AM   #20
Thaler

have played Harmony a couple of times...songs tend to grow on the listener, esp.when you are a fan.....my LEAST favorite is the live cut, The No Hotel.....but as I learn the lyric, a song starts to turn into a more enticing song/performance.
good health to each of you,
Barry
Old 05-19-2004, 05:08 AM   #21
Baz

have played Harmony a couple of times...songs tend to grow on the listener, esp.when you are a fan.....my LEAST favorite is the live cut, The No Hotel.....but as I learn the lyric, a song starts to turn into a more enticing song/performance.
good health to each of you,
Barry