banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2002, 06:59 PM   #1
Paul J B

Okay Gordon Fanatics where was the first time you saw Gordon in concert..The place and the year? and how you felt after that "first Time"

------------------
Ever Onward...
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:59 PM   #2
Chuck Darling

Okay Gordon Fanatics where was the first time you saw Gordon in concert..The place and the year? and how you felt after that "first Time"

------------------
Ever Onward...
Chuck Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:11 PM   #3
Wes Steele

Hi Chuck, How ya doin'?

I know it was in October. The 10th maybe?
Year was 1973.
He performed at John Carrol University in a suburb of Cleveland called University Hts., Ohio.
First song he performed was "The List". He also sang "It's Worth Believen" (my favorite). That was the only time I saw him sing that. Full house. Good time. Good company.

A first date with a good girl. Didn't date her too long. She liked GL though....

Wish the concert never ended.
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 02:47 AM   #4
Janice

Hey you two! It's great to see your names showing up again. Long time, no see to both of you and I hope you're doing well.

My first GL concert was August 31, 2000 at Humphrey's in San Diego, Ca. I was completely numb by the time the concert was over. I'm not quite sure if that was due to total awe (which I definitely felt - the awe increased after being able to go backstage after the concert)or because I traveled from NH to California that day (I had been awake and on the go for over 24 hours by that point), or my nervousness at meeting a friend for the first time (he's turned out to be one of my best friends and one of many reasons why I moved out here last fall)or because Humphrey's is an outdoor venue right on the bay and I was freezing (I couldn't believe how much the temp dropped after sundown). Or it could have been a combination of any or all of those.

It was a magical experience that has never been duplicated at any of the concerts I've seen since - although they all have their fond highlights.

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:33 AM   #5
Bill

June 1980 at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in Nashville...had nose bleed seats but it was still great. That was the unfortunate orange sports coat tour! Drove to Lousiville, Ky the next night for Palace Theatre gig...better seat...he was moderately shloshed, but good show. I took several good pictures.

Next time I saw him was in the late 80s at Bill Bob's in Ft. Worth Texas...he's sobered up, slimmed up (white shirt/cowboy boots days). Had a front row/center seat, which at BB's then was close enough to touch the mic stand. Fantastic show, very acoustic -- with feeling of the LIGHTFOOT album. Also saw Dallas ampitheater show and another Ft. Worth show at Will Rogers Auditorium (3rd row center)...he was trying out "Wild Strawberries" in those days. Friends in Dallas told of seeing him in sold out Reunion Arena on the SUNDOWN tour...must have been magical.

Have seen him twice in last 2 years...weaker voice, but still a great time. "Minstrel of the Dawn" sounded SO GOOD and SO MUCH BETTER than the rest of the show, you'd have thought he lip sync'd the recording -- but we could tell it was live. Hope he comes to Virginia/North Carolina area soon.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #6
seahawk11

I've been a Gordon Lightfoot fan for more than two decades, having started off with Gord's Gold and going from there; but, thanks to deployments in the Navy and other reasons I didn't get to see him live until 1990 in Denver (Auditorium Theater). It was a cold November night, just perfect for a Lightfoot show. We were front row center (though there was a row of folding chairs in front of us with what I assumed were some radio contest winners in them). If somebody else from the list was there, help me out with this: people had put out tons of scraps of paper with song requests and such on stage, but one person went up and set a rose and a bottle of beer up there. I swear that when Gordy came out he picked up the rose, kind of waved it in the air in thanks, then picked up the bottle of beer and took a swig! Now, that's trusting your audience!!! That could have been laced with who-knows-what at some concerts. He did Triangle (my favorite!) and The Auctioneer for sure, and a bunch of the regular tunes...but, my memory isn't helping me here, I'm pretty sure he also did Christian Island, Hangdog Hotel Room, and Race Among the Ruins; the latter two songs I haven't heard him play since. Enjoyed the show immensely, but there seemed to be hardly any banter with the audience at all compared to all the other times I've seen him. My favorite time seeing him though, was up in Minnesota in 2000; that sea level air did wonders for his voice that night.
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:57 PM   #7
Brian 57

My first Lightfoot concert was August 3rd, 1988 at the Anderson Center in Binghamton NY. By the time I ordered my tickets, the regular seating was sold out, but they had added a couple rows, lettered with double letters. When I got there, I looked for my row in the back, but couldn't find it. I asked an usher who pointed me to the row of folding chairs added at the front, about three feet from the stage. A neat experience all the way around.
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 12:28 AM   #8
milt

The first time I saw Gordie was when Don Quiote was released which I still believe today is his finest work. It was Massey Hall Toronto.Since that evening I have lisened to Lightfoot on a constant basis the lines of his songs you could hang clothes on.I still tremble and sweat when I play his music. I believe Gordie wrote his best music when he was drinking heavy. This year I hope to take my son to see the legend.The world will not be as nice a place to live in when he packs it in. God Bless You Gord.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:28 AM   #9
milt

The first time I saw Gordie was when Don Quiote was released which I still believe today is his finest work. It was Massey Hall Toronto.Since that evening I have lisened to Lightfoot on a constant basis the lines of his songs you could hang clothes on.I still tremble and sweat when I play his music. I believe Gordie wrote his best music when he was drinking heavy. This year I hope to take my son to see the legend.The world will not be as nice a place to live in when he packs it in. God Bless You Gord.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:34 AM   #10
Brenda

October, 1972, San Jose Civic Auditorium. "Old Dan's Records" had just been released within a few weeks of that date. It was just Gord, Terry Clements and Rick Haynes. He opened with "The Patriot's Dream". I was surprised he did the whole thing! In later concerts, I learned he doesn't cut anything short. He wasn't playing his usual Gibson 12-string. It was a Martin. He performed "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" about midway through the second set. Didn't say much. I believe he was still feeling the effects of Bell's Palsy. The acoustics in the hall were lousy. Good thing I knew most of the tunes. Had a good time.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:34 AM   #11
Westernstar9

October, 1972, San Jose Civic Auditorium. "Old Dan's Records" had just been released within a few weeks of that date. It was just Gord, Terry Clements and Rick Haynes. He opened with "The Patriot's Dream". I was surprised he did the whole thing! In later concerts, I learned he doesn't cut anything short. He wasn't playing his usual Gibson 12-string. It was a Martin. He performed "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" about midway through the second set. Didn't say much. I believe he was still feeling the effects of Bell's Palsy. The acoustics in the hall were lousy. Good thing I knew most of the tunes. Had a good time.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 10:15 AM   #12
Bill Allen

Well, the first concert I saw was in 1974 (I think!) at Frost Ampitheatre at Stanford University. Having only just recently experienced my "Lightfoot Epiphany," with Don Quixote, this was just too exciting for words! On the day of the concert, I jumped on my bicycle and sped to Stanford (ah, the energy I had when I was 16...what's happened to me?). And, I will have to admit, the concert was a letdown. I later discovered that it hadn't been the best of tours--equipment had been stolen, there was that rather less-than-complimentary article in Rolling Stone. And thus, while GL and the guys were great, there was a definite tension in the air...certainly incongruous with the nice, friendly intimate atmosphere of Frost Ampitheatre. So it was a less-than-satisfying concert experience, and, being young and innocent (I'm still innocent, just in case you were wondering...), I was very disappointed. I expected him to be warmer, more chatty, etc. Which goes to show what can happen when you go to any event with strong expectations.

I can happily say GL has made up for it many times over since then, with many superlative shows!
Derek (did I say I was 16 in this post? Sorry. A typo. This was one of my pre-natal concerts. I was born in 1980. Honest...)
Bill Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 10:15 AM   #13
telekidd

Well, the first concert I saw was in 1974 (I think!) at Frost Ampitheatre at Stanford University. Having only just recently experienced my "Lightfoot Epiphany," with Don Quixote, this was just too exciting for words! On the day of the concert, I jumped on my bicycle and sped to Stanford (ah, the energy I had when I was 16...what's happened to me?). And, I will have to admit, the concert was a letdown. I later discovered that it hadn't been the best of tours--equipment had been stolen, there was that rather less-than-complimentary article in Rolling Stone. And thus, while GL and the guys were great, there was a definite tension in the air...certainly incongruous with the nice, friendly intimate atmosphere of Frost Ampitheatre. So it was a less-than-satisfying concert experience, and, being young and innocent (I'm still innocent, just in case you were wondering...), I was very disappointed. I expected him to be warmer, more chatty, etc. Which goes to show what can happen when you go to any event with strong expectations.

I can happily say GL has made up for it many times over since then, with many superlative shows!
Derek (did I say I was 16 in this post? Sorry. A typo. This was one of my pre-natal concerts. I was born in 1980. Honest...)
telekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:59 PM   #14
2Much2Lose

I'll chime in my two cents worth (is that $3.59 Canadian?). I thought my first concert was in 1971, but have now discovered it was probably in 1972. I was in high school, and my friend's older sister was a GL fan. She had the incredibly cool name of Starr Light. She offered to take me to the American Shakspere Theatre in Stamford Connecticut for my first concert. I didn't drive yet, so I was overjoyed!
Just like now, the band came out first, Rick, Red (if I remember correctly) and an impossibly young looking Terry, who had just joined the band. Gord came out, and my new best friend Starr said in a loud (ear splitting to me!) voice, "my, he's getting a bit paunchy". I was devastated, but got over it as soon as the first note started. I seem to remember him opening with Me and Bobby Mcgee, but I could very easily be wrong. I know he played SDYS, Cobwebs and Dust, Saturday Clothes, and lots more that were on the IYCRMM lp. I think he did a number of songs from SSOL too. The moment I had waited for though was IYCRMM. He sang it beautifully, then right when my 14 year old heart was near capacity, he did this loud sniffle, the real honking kind, that reverberated throughout the concert hall. I think he may have even started the song all over again, but again, that was 30 years ago and my memory ain't all that great!
I was hooked none the less and went to at least one concert every year until the early 1990's, when we had a dry spell of 4 years. I decided that was way too long, and decided to go to Toronto to see him at Massey Hall. I caught 7 concerts that year, 9 the next and on and on. I think my record is this year, when I will see him 11 times. Heck, I even flew to Reno to watch the taping of the PBS show!
Thank heavens for the internet, for cheap airfares, for on line friendships, and for GL still enjoying touring!
Jenney
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:59 PM   #15
Jenney

I'll chime in my two cents worth (is that $3.59 Canadian?). I thought my first concert was in 1971, but have now discovered it was probably in 1972. I was in high school, and my friend's older sister was a GL fan. She had the incredibly cool name of Starr Light. She offered to take me to the American Shakspere Theatre in Stamford Connecticut for my first concert. I didn't drive yet, so I was overjoyed!
Just like now, the band came out first, Rick, Red (if I remember correctly) and an impossibly young looking Terry, who had just joined the band. Gord came out, and my new best friend Starr said in a loud (ear splitting to me!) voice, "my, he's getting a bit paunchy". I was devastated, but got over it as soon as the first note started. I seem to remember him opening with Me and Bobby Mcgee, but I could very easily be wrong. I know he played SDYS, Cobwebs and Dust, Saturday Clothes, and lots more that were on the IYCRMM lp. I think he did a number of songs from SSOL too. The moment I had waited for though was IYCRMM. He sang it beautifully, then right when my 14 year old heart was near capacity, he did this loud sniffle, the real honking kind, that reverberated throughout the concert hall. I think he may have even started the song all over again, but again, that was 30 years ago and my memory ain't all that great!
I was hooked none the less and went to at least one concert every year until the early 1990's, when we had a dry spell of 4 years. I decided that was way too long, and decided to go to Toronto to see him at Massey Hall. I caught 7 concerts that year, 9 the next and on and on. I think my record is this year, when I will see him 11 times. Heck, I even flew to Reno to watch the taping of the PBS show!
Thank heavens for the internet, for cheap airfares, for on line friendships, and for GL still enjoying touring!
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 04:22 AM   #16
Brenda

quote:Originally posted by telekidd:

I must admit. You really had me going there! I was also at that concert. I may have even spoken to your mother and/or father. Gord rarely used an opening act, but back then his opening act was Doc & Merle Watson, with T. Michael Coleman on bass. It was a tough act to follow. Gord's lack of verbiage is not new as I'm sure you have learned by now. It sure was nice of your mother to take you to see (hear) him though!

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 04:22 AM   #17
Westernstar9

quote:Originally posted by telekidd:

I must admit. You really had me going there! I was also at that concert. I may have even spoken to your mother and/or father. Gord rarely used an opening act, but back then his opening act was Doc & Merle Watson, with T. Michael Coleman on bass. It was a tough act to follow. Gord's lack of verbiage is not new as I'm sure you have learned by now. It sure was nice of your mother to take you to see (hear) him though!

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 11:50 AM   #18
Bill Allen

quote:Originally posted by Westernstar9:

Old 07-20-2002, 11:50 AM   #19
telekidd

quote:Originally posted by Westernstar9:

Old 07-20-2002, 11:58 AM   #20
Bill Allen

<< Gord rarely used an opening act, but back then his opening act was Doc & Merle Watson, with T. Michael Coleman on bass. It was a tough act to follow. Gord's lack of verbiage is not new as I'm sure you have learned by now. It sure was nice of your mother to take you to see (hear) him though!>>

Ha! Wasn't it though? And I know about the lack of verbiage. But at that time I was 16, utterly naive, utterly idealistic, and went to the show expecting something that was in my head, as opposed to the realities of being a working, touring musician. (As I think of it, this may have been the first concert of any kind I ever went to by myself.) Reality hit my idealism...and really, when you think about it, it would almost be impossible for me not to be disappointed...such is the innocence of youth. By the time I saw GL again, I had been to many, many concerts featuring all kinds of music, and my expectations at that point were a bit more in line with reality of the live concert performance. (I was a rather solitary youth, so I had only heard GL by myself--I wasn't used to all these people sitting around doing things like talking and *gasp!* applauding!) I have no doubt it was a great show--but I was just thinking in terms of my own reactions at that time in my life.
Derek

Old 07-20-2002, 11:58 AM   #21
telekidd

<< Gord rarely used an opening act, but back then his opening act was Doc & Merle Watson, with T. Michael Coleman on bass. It was a tough act to follow. Gord's lack of verbiage is not new as I'm sure you have learned by now. It sure was nice of your mother to take you to see (hear) him though!>>

Ha! Wasn't it though? And I know about the lack of verbiage. But at that time I was 16, utterly naive, utterly idealistic, and went to the show expecting something that was in my head, as opposed to the realities of being a working, touring musician. (As I think of it, this may have been the first concert of any kind I ever went to by myself.) Reality hit my idealism...and really, when you think about it, it would almost be impossible for me not to be disappointed...such is the innocence of youth. By the time I saw GL again, I had been to many, many concerts featuring all kinds of music, and my expectations at that point were a bit more in line with reality of the live concert performance. (I was a rather solitary youth, so I had only heard GL by myself--I wasn't used to all these people sitting around doing things like talking and *gasp!* applauding!) I have no doubt it was a great show--but I was just thinking in terms of my own reactions at that time in my life.
Derek

Old 07-20-2002, 05:03 PM   #22
Paul J B

Hey Janice and Wes!! nice to hear from guys!! where is LAMS?

Anyway I started this thread but didn't give my first! Well it was at the old Front Row Theatre "In the round" in East Cleveland..1983.. and it was the Salute tour, I got to watch Gordon "Plug In" and man was it GREAT! I know Wes remembers that place..its too bad they tore it down..
nice to see ya Janice!!! I stii have to book ya sent me

------------------
Ever Onward...
Old 07-20-2002, 05:03 PM   #23
Chuck Darling

Hey Janice and Wes!! nice to hear from guys!! where is LAMS?

Anyway I started this thread but didn't give my first! Well it was at the old Front Row Theatre "In the round" in East Cleveland..1983.. and it was the Salute tour, I got to watch Gordon "Plug In" and man was it GREAT! I know Wes remembers that place..its too bad they tore it down..
nice to see ya Janice!!! I stii have to book ya sent me

------------------
Ever Onward...
Old 07-20-2002, 05:07 PM   #24
Paul J B

By the way Gordon is coming to my town Sandusky Ohio in sring 2003!!! YIPPEEE FINALLY!!!!! Wes and everyone.. We should get together! we have plenty of time to plan!

------------------
Ever Onward...
Old 07-20-2002, 05:07 PM   #25
Chuck Darling

By the way Gordon is coming to my town Sandusky Ohio in sring 2003!!! YIPPEEE FINALLY!!!!! Wes and everyone.. We should get together! we have plenty of time to plan!

------------------
Ever Onward...