banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
on-susan's-floor

SPRING IS BACK IN LIGHTFOOT'S STEP
Recovered from a grave illness, the singer performs for a grateful Cerritos crowd. By Randy Lewis, Times Staff Writer

Gordon Lightfoot strolled on-stage Saturday much as he has thousands of times in his four-decade career. The ovation he got from the capacity crowd at the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts, however, was unusually emotional, given that he hadn't yet played a note.
On the second night of his first tour in 2 l/2 years, fans from as far as Alaska and Michigan appeared grateful that the Canadian singer-songwriter was breathing, let alone on the road again after an abdominal aneurysm in 2002 left him in a coma for five weeks and confined to a hospital bed for three months.
Without a word, just a wink and a modest smile, the 66-year-old musician opened with "Spanish Moss", moved quickly into "Don Quixote" and then "The Minstrel of the Dawn." They were songs from his artistic heyday in the 1970s, when he was among the most accomplished, if under-appreciated, members of the singer-songwriter cavalcade.
Though just a few years older than Neil Young and Joni Mitchell--fellow Canadians who also launched their careers in the '60s and fully blossomed in the 70s--Lightfoot always seemed more the elder statesman. That's less because of his age than an artistic sensibility that mines the permanence of the land beneath him and the history behind him.
In fact, if there's one word missing from his considerable vocabulary, it's "reinvent". His latest album, "Harmony", released last year, is one of the strongest since his cachet began to fade in the late '70s. It is musically and lyrically in keeping with his '60s and '70s work.
He played only the title tune, a characteristically lilting waltz that wrestles with the thought of losing his muse. His voice retains the beauty and color of his prime, but still lacks much of the power and vibrancy--one toll of his affair with alcohol.
Backstage after his two-hour performance, Lightfoot said that on waking from the coma, the thought that he might not perform again never crossed his mind.
"I always knew the day would come," he said. "It was just a matter of preparing for when it arrived."
While in the hospital, he oversaw completion of the "Harmony" album, for which he had previously recorded guitar and vocal tracks.
"I was working on the album, so I never really thought about being in the hospital," said Lightfoot, whose manager noted that he'll play three dozen dates this year as he eases back into touring.
Still, the man with hundreds of songs to his credit, including "Early Morning Rain," "For Lovin' Me," "If You Could Read My mind" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," hasn't resumed writing since his hospital stay.
"The need hasn't been there yet," he said, with only a hint of trepidation. "We'll just have to see whether that comes back."
\"Didn't feel so cold and tired<BR>Stretched out before her fire<BR>Rollin' smokes and drinkin' up her wine<BR>And I remember candlelight<BR>And singing 'til we could not sing no more<BR>Then fallin' warm asleep on Susan's floor\"
on-susan's-floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Brave Soul

Recovered from a grave illness, the singer performs for a grateful Cerritos crowd. By Randy Lewis, Times Staff Writer

Gordon Lightfoot strolled on-stage Saturday much as he has thousands of times in his four-decade career. The ovation he got from the capacity crowd at the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts, however, was unusually emotional, given that he hadn't yet played a note.
On the second night of his first tour in 2 l/2 years, fans from as far as Alaska and Michigan appeared grateful that the Canadian singer-songwriter was breathing, let alone on the road again after an abdominal aneurysm in 2002 left him in a coma for five weeks and confined to a hospital bed for three months.
Without a word, just a wink and a modest smile, the 66-year-old musician opened with "Spanish Moss", moved quickly into "Don Quixote" and then "The Minstrel of the Dawn." They were songs from his artistic heyday in the 1970s, when he was among the most accomplished, if under-appreciated, members of the singer-songwriter cavalcade.
Though just a few years older than Neil Young and Joni Mitchell--fellow Canadians who also launched their careers in the '60s and fully blossomed in the 70s--Lightfoot always seemed more the elder statesman. That's less because of his age than an artistic sensibility that mines the permanence of the land beneath him and the history behind him.
In fact, if there's one word missing from his considerable vocabulary, it's "reinvent". His latest album, "Harmony", released last year, is one of the strongest since his cachet began to fade in the late '70s. It is musically and lyrically in keeping with his '60s and '70s work.
He played only the title tune, a characteristically lilting waltz that wrestles with the thought of losing his muse. His voice retains the beauty and color of his prime, but still lacks much of the power and vibrancy--one toll of his affair with alcohol.
Backstage after his two-hour performance, Lightfoot said that on waking from the coma, the thought that he might not perform again never crossed his mind.
"I always knew the day would come," he said. "It was just a matter of preparing for when it arrived."
While in the hospital, he oversaw completion of the "Harmony" album, for which he had previously recorded guitar and vocal tracks.
"I was working on the album, so I never really thought about being in the hospital," said Lightfoot, whose manager noted that he'll play three dozen dates this year as he eases back into touring.
Still, the man with hundreds of songs to his credit, including "Early Morning Rain," "For Lovin' Me," "If You Could Read My mind" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," hasn't resumed writing since his hospital stay.
"The need hasn't been there yet," he said, with only a hint of trepidation. "We'll just have to see whether that comes back."
Brave Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

My guess is the urge to write will come back. It's something that never really goes away for long - ebbs and flows, if you will. It's as much a part of being a singer-songwriter as the performing. Whether he responds to the urge to write again is someting else; I suspect it's not as compulsive a feeling as it once was, and that's fine. He's already left us a whale of a legacy (no "Big Blue" pun intended.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

My guess is the urge to write will come back. It's something that never really goes away for long - ebbs and flows, if you will. It's as much a part of being a singer-songwriter as the performing. Whether he responds to the urge to write again is someting else; I suspect it's not as compulsive a feeling as it once was, and that's fine. He's already left us a whale of a legacy (no "Big Blue" pun intended.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
<Reminder>

Thanks Brave Soul, for posting that review. I found it to be a learned and fair appraisal. The composer of the article sounds like a Lightfoot fan himself (assuming Randy is a he). The comments about his voice were interesting. The "magic" is 3 parts the music and words and 1 part the vocal.

RMD
Old 04-26-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
<Reminder>

Thanks Brave Soul, for posting that review. I found it to be a learned and fair appraisal. The composer of the article sounds like a Lightfoot fan himself (assuming Randy is a he). The comments about his voice were interesting. The "magic" is 3 parts the music and words and 1 part the vocal.

RMD
Old 04-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
charlene

I've been waiting for a review in a paper!
thanks!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
charlene

I've been waiting for a review in a paper!
thanks!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
Tyler

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brave Soul:

Perfect! I always had wondered why Gord, not so much "seemed older" than other Canadian songsters but more mature, and this is the perfect answer.
What a great review! Thanks for posting it.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #10
brink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brave Soul:

Perfect! I always had wondered why Gord, not so much "seemed older" than other Canadian songsters but more mature, and this is the perfect answer.
What a great review! Thanks for posting it.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #11
The Rez

It was good to see a Gord review in the paper again. Usually, he comes thru to packed houses, w/ the exception of a reporter to chronicle it.

Drag that it takes the kind of trial Gord went thru to get the attention of the US media again. (No offense, Randy - who indeed is male.)

Then again, that seems to be the case w/ every musician I cherish. Don't see much about John Stewart either. Brother Ray had to die to get their attention again.

Guess I'll have to get into Brittany (sorry, that didn't sound right.) Well, you get the concept.

Great review to wake up to.

Adios,

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote