banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #151
Restless

Here's some questions to add to your quiz. I'm not on here much so there is more than 1 question. So I guess who is the first to win by answering ALL the question correctly.
Answers are pertaining to ONLY the 20 studio albums and no 'best of" or other type complilations.
Good Luck:
Quiz:
1: Gordons Middle Name is?
2: What U.S State is in the background on the Album -Endless Wire?
3: Who or What is the Arthur M. Anderson and how does this relate to Gordons songs?
4: The only Album cover that shows a "microphone"?
5: Name this musician who played with Jerry Garcia and David Grisman in the band Old and In the Way and also played as a studio muscian for Gord on an early Album? Name him and what instrament did he play?
5: Three Parter question: Name this muscian who played on an earlier Gord Album ,who also wrote the theme song to a popular early 70s'TV show staring John Travolta? Name the muscian AND TV Show and ALSO NAME THE popular band that this muscian played for in the 60's that recorded the hit "Do you believe in Magic"?
6: What GORDY album did the "above' person play backup for?
7: How many albums have someone else besides Gordon ON the cover? Also: Name those albums
8; What is the only song that mentions the name of the town of Gordons birth?
9: Reading Gords lyrics, what is the name of the SONG that you could identify how OLD Gordon is by the words to the lyrics?
10: What is the connection between Andy Lamereaux (SP?) who co-stared in HOTEL with Gordon; and the minister who presided over the memorial services at the Maritime Sailors Cathedral after the sinking of the Edmund Fitz in 75 and MYSELF, this quiz poster have in common? Really reaching here Clue- The minister and myself are related to an author who's life was portrayed in a series the Hotel performer stared in? (sorry for this one folks)
Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 AM   #152
brink-

holy smoke Norm, you have pur a lot of work into this one. Nice to see you back. I shall be busy solving it!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #153
closetcanadian

Okay, I'll take a shot at these:

1. Meredith
2. Nevada (Las Vegas)
3. Another Great Lakes ore carrier that was on Lake Superior the night the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. The Anderson responded to the Fitz' distress calls but arrived too late.
4. Dream Street Rose
5. Bill Lee (Spike Lee's father) played stand-up acoustic bass on Lightfoot's debut album.
5.(#2) John Sebastian wrote the theme song for "Welcome Back Kotter." He was the lead singer/songwriter for the "Lovin' Spoonful."
6. Sit Down Young Stranger (IYCRMM). Sebastian played harmonica and autoharp on this album.
7. Cold on the Shoulder shows a woman standing in the background.
8. Couchiching.
9. Drink Yer Glasses Empty.
10. ? I have no idea!

I'm guessing on a few of these. Please let me know how I did!
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #154
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by paddletothesea:

5: Name this musician who played with Jerry Garcia and David Grisman in the band Old and In the Way and also played as a studio muscian for Gord on an early Album? Name him and what instrament did he play?
(Thank goodness for google)

Vassar Clements played fiddle on 'Summer Side of Life'.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #155
Restless

Quote:
Originally posted by closetcanadian:
Okay, I'll take a shot at these:

1. Meredith
2. Nevada (Las Vegas)
3. Another Great Lakes ore carrier that was on Lake Superior the night the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. The Anderson responded to the Fitz' distress calls but arrived too late.
4. Dream Street Rose
5. Bill Lee (Spike Lee's father) played stand-up acoustic bass on Lightfoot's debut album.
5.(#2) John Sebastian wrote the theme song for "Welcome Back Kotter." He was the lead singer/songwriter for the "Lovin' Spoonful."
6. Sit Down Young Stranger (IYCRMM). Sebastian played harmonica and autoharp on this album.
7. Cold on the Shoulder shows a woman standing in the background.
8. Couchiching.
9. Drink Yer Glasses Empty.
10. ? I have no idea!

I'm guessing on a few of these. Please let me know how I did!
Damn You would think you were Terry C. or Pee Wee. Good job. I like the Spike Lee's dad answer. I did not know that. You got the question wrong but the following poster got that right.

You also missed one of the albums that has someone beside Gord on the cover. You got ONE right...whats the other???
10: You Still have time on that long shot. I will see if someone else gets it before I answer.

Just some addition comments. Yeah the Anderson was actually in site of the Fitz and saw the lights go out and also disappear from radar. They recieved the LAST words from the Fitz at 7pm and those words were "we're holding our own".

Good job with the Vasser Clements answer.(2nd poster who got it right) He's still playing with a lot of bands and has a few grammys under his belt.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 PM   #156
Nitro Joe

Ok, here's some questions/challenges for you all. Lightfoot's "The No Hotel" has a very interesting story behind it. Can anyone rely it to me, and (here's the kicker) as close to Lightfoot's words as possible. (and No you can't listen to the song before you answer!)
Also, Meredith, Lightfoot's daughter, is making a website for her dad. Can anyone tell me what Lightfoot has on his guitar? Good Luck!

www.gordon-lightfoot.net

[ August 06, 2007, 23:24: Message edited by: Nitro Joe ]
Old 08-07-2007, 12:19 AM   #157
closetcanadian

7. The other album cover is "Sunday Concert." You can barely see Rick Haynes behind GL. And is that Red Shea's profile on the far left? Very dark photograph.
10. Paddle to the Sea - by chance are you related to Laura Ingalls Wilder? (This is really a wild guess!)

Congrats to RM for his Vasser Clements answer! That question was tough!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #158
Nitro Joe

nicely done. This one is for the people who own 'Beautiful: A Tribute to Gordon Lightfoot'.
I'm pretty sure this is an easy one, but what does Lightfoot and Quarette have in common, besides the fact that they sing Song for a Winter's Night on the CD?
Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #159
charlene

Quartette has Sylvia Tyson..she and Ian were some of the first performers to cover Lightfoot tunes such as EMR.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #160
Restless

Quote:
7. The other album cover is "Sunday Concert." You can barely see Rick Haynes behind GL. And is that Red Shea's profile on the far left? Very dark photograph.
10. Paddle to the Sea - by chance are you related to Laura Ingalls Wilder? (This is really a wild guess!)

Congrats to RM for his Vasser Clements answer! That question was tough!
Actually I ment for that album (Sunday concert) not to be included in the albums with someone besides Gord on it. But since i wasnt as clear YOU win....BUT there still IS ONE MORE album cover that everyone has failed to mention which has someone else beside Gord on it.
10; You GOT it! Laura Ingalls Wilder, MYSELF, and
Father Richard W. Ingalls of the Maritime Sailors Catherdral all have the same great grandfather (6-generations back.) James Ingalls. Sorry for the long shot. Speaking of the maritime SC, great story on the Ed Ftiz Lifering found...story..
Old 08-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #161
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
ACTUALLY With the Album cover i.e Sunday Concert I ment that NOT to be included as one but the main studio albums...there IS one more that has someone beside Gord on the Cover. Im suprised you havent gotten this since I think there was a discussion about who this was a few years ago...
Anyway........
I have just had a close scutiny of all 20 other than Sunday Concert (which despite what you say is usually included as one of tbe original 20 anyway) and as far as I can see after a detailed scrut the only album with another person on it IS Cold OnThe Shoulder as previously mentioned by the Closet Canadian. and i remember a topic which had discussed the girl on the cover of that fine album see:-
http://www.corfid.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...c;f=1;t=003374
topic:question about the COLD ON THE SHOULDER cover
one answer was that
"The liner notes on the vinyl LP list the cover girl as Jan Stephenson."
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #162
closetcanadian

I'm looking at my vinyl LP album cover of IYCRMM and I do not see anyone reflected in the window near Gord. Is the original album cover for Sit Down Young Stranger different than IYCRMM? I thought the only change was in the title...
Old 08-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #163
RM

Quote:
Is the original album cover for Sit Down Young Stranger different than IYCRMM? I thought the only change was in the title...
I was wondering the same thing......I can't find the reflection on my IYCRMM either.

Or...maybe it's like those "Magic Eye" images that were popular in the mid-90s. Stare at it long enough and it becomes 3 dimensional.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote