banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-21-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
trudiewannabe

Hi everyone I thought I would introduce myself. I don't know how populated this board is, but it looks to be somewhat inhabited LOL.

I discovered Gordon Lightfoot when I heard Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on the radio and I was impressed by it, although it was different than the original album version.

I wanted to find out what album it was on, and I found that it was on Summertime Dream. I also went to "barnesandnoble.com" to hear sound clips of the following albums: Sundown, and Old Dan's Records. Interestingly, the sound clips got me interested in purchasing the albums. And I discovered how really good these albums are!

I am only 23 and I did not grow up listening to GL's songs. But for some reason his music impresses me very much in a way that I cannot explain. Judging from these 3 albums alone, I have never heard anyone write better songs than this man!! People who have not heard Lightfoot's music have not had the experience to hear what real music is all about.

How can people say this is boring? These are the best songs anyone has ever written. I am a bit worried that the music kind of brings me down (if you have any ideas about that aspect, let me know, thanks) but I am not denying that is the best music I have ever heard from anyone ever, and I've only listened to 3 albums so far!!!!

trudiewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by trudiewannabe:

But for some reason his music impresses me very much in a way that I cannot explain. Judging from these 3 albums alone, I have never heard anyone write better songs than this man!! People who have not heard Lightfoot's music have not had the experience to hear what real music is all about.

How can people say this is boring? These are the best songs anyone has ever written. I am a bit worried that the music kind of brings me down (if you have any ideas about that aspect, let me know, thanks) but I am not denying that is the best music I have ever heard from anyone ever, and I've only listened to 3 albums so far!!!!

Welcome, trudiewannabe! Yeah, he has that effect on most of us. I've been hooked since I was younger than you, in the 1960s. I can't say his music has ever brought me down but I'm an "up" sort of person anyway. I envy the fact that you've still got LOTS of Gord's songs to discover. Enjoy the journey, and drop by often.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
Gord

Welcome to the board, my girlfriend also did not grow up listening to Lightfoot and has no idea why I like his music so much.

Summertime Dream is probably the best recording to get new fans introduced to his music althought others may have their favourites.

His music is often about life and reality and as we all know life is not all about fun and games.

If you want some upbeat tunes try Bend in the Water, The Soul is the Rock or Slide on Over, those are by far my favourites to play on the drumset.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
Restless

Welcome aboard the Goodship Lightfoot, Trudie.

You're currently listening to Gord's early to mid 70s sound, which is kind of the "prime" period. Be forewarned that his 60s vocals and his post early 80s vocals are very different, each in their own way. But pretty much ALL of his music is wonderful.

Look for a brand new Lightfoot album, with new material, this spring. And enjoy the voyage!
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
trudiewannabe

Hi, I have a couple of questions:

Judging on the albums I have already, would Don Quixote and Cold on the Shoulder be other good ones to investigate?

I heard sound clips of those albums off of barnesandnoble.com (I go there to sample sound clips LOL) and I really like what those 2 albums appear to be like based on the clips.

The funny thing is (yet it is a good thing too) is that each album that I have gotten so far is better than the previous Lightfoot album that I've gotten. For example, I got Sundown, and then Summertime Dream. And then I got Old Dan's Records, which is my favorite among the 3 so far!! (but that doesn't minimize the other 2, don't get me wrong LOL ).

For some reason "Farewell to Annabel" and "Same Old Obsession" really blow me away.

I have another question about the vocals thing...

How is his 70s vocals different from either his 60s vocals or 80s vocals? This would help me if I knew ahead of time so I have some idea of what to expect! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by trudiewannabe (edited February 21, 2004).]
Old 02-21-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
brink

I can't help you much on the album thing, it just depends on what you want to hear. I would suggest, if you can, to buy the Songbook It is a four disc set and ha tons of stuff and even some previously unreleased tunes.
As far as his singing voice my favorite time period is the 70's. Of course, there are songs in the other decades that I really like. But I like the IYCRMM and Sundown time best. Of the two albums you mentioned I like Cold on the Shoulder best. But there are some great ones on DQ (I am known here as not a fan of DQ). But welcome, we can never have too many fans!
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:31 PM   #7
Restless

The 4-disc SONGBOOK is a great suggestion. Those tracks span 4 decades of Lightfoot's career, so you'd get a fine sampling of his various sounds.

The 60s: youthful vocals; generally sparcer production.
The 70s (to about 82): richest, deepest vocals; lots of great production from Lenny Waronker.
The mid 80s to present: unexpectedly thin voice; but ultimately endearing, especially considering his burdens and longetivity.

I rate Sundown #1 of ALL the albums. Since you're already ranking it #3, I don't dare recommend where you go next. Maybe stay in the 70s for a while.

Wait. Let me muster some courage: get SHADOWS!
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:14 AM   #8
trudiewannabe

Actually restless, it's not that I RANK Sundown per se at #3 it's just that each album I get I LIKE even more than the previous, in spite of the fact that they might all be equally good LOL. It's kind of hard to isolate one album sometimes

It's just that my favorite one out of the ones I have is Old Dan's Records

[This message has been edited by trudiewannabe (edited February 21, 2004).]
Old 02-22-2004, 06:54 AM   #9
Iron

I always like when people get captured by Gordon,especially the younger ones.You are a year older than my youngest daughter,and a year younger than my older daughter.My younger one,Shiela,is "in to" Gord and guitar too.Mandy,on the other hand,is not.
Shadows would be a good pick,so would Waiting for You,which I think is supposed to be out of print along with Gord's Gold.If you check on E-Bay,You can find pretty much of most everything Gord has done,and some really good prices too.Some new and some used.I've gotton many used cd's for under $5.oo and never got a bad one yet.Just make sure to always check the sellers shipping costs first.It should only be about $2.00 or less.
O.K., now I have a Question for You,,,
What does Trudie wanna be??
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:54 AM   #10
james hill

Hi trudiewannabe,

GET SHADOWS! 'NUFF SAID!

james hill
james hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:32 AM   #11
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

trudiewannabe,

you really need all his 19, soon to be 20, original albums when you can afford them. But for right now get Don Quixote, Gord at his peak and not one weak song on the CD. Then go from there.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:50 AM   #12
TheWatchman

Welcome to the forum!

Don Quixote is a great album. It is the only one that is always with me when I travel. Usually I will take different Lightfoot CD's with me but Don Quixote is always in my traveling CD case.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:26 AM   #13
Auburn Annie

I second Don Quixote. Great cuts on all the others but DQ is the one I can listen to without any remote impulse to skip a track.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #14
SomewhereupinMichigan

Hi and Welcome to the Board!

I concur with my friends above...based on "where" you are at in Gord's evolution, I would make DQ my next purchase, but I also agree that you'll want them all eventually. Just a note, Waiting For You from early 90s is among the toughest to find these days. It is out of print now on CD, so your best bet to pick it up is on e-bay as a used copy, or try Amazon.com and find a used copy for sale there. WFY, as I have posted previously, is not one of my top picks among Gord's commercial releases but it is, nevertheless, another one you'll want to have in your collection.

Nice to see a 23 year old fan of Gord. My son is 23 and was raised on Gord. Doesn't object to him, but isn't a big fan either - much to my dismay!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:35 PM   #15
joveski

DQ is a must-have, sure

another one that doesn't get much attention is Summer Side Of Life which is definately worth checking out. it was a year before don quixote and there is a sound on the that album that hasn't been captured on others. its a transition between the 60s and 70s gord sound.

welcome aboard

i'm relatively young here too, at 26
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #16
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by joveski:
[B]DQ is a must-have, sure

another one that doesn't get much attention is Summer Side Of Life which is definately worth checking out. it was a year before don quixote and there is a sound on the that album that hasn't been captured on others. its a transition between the 60s and 70s gord sound.

Absolutely correct Joveski! Though I don't listen to it as often anymore, as I've indicated elsewhere here, SSOL is my all-time fav GL album and probably through the years has gotten more turntable, cassette, cd and, yes, even reel-to-reel playtime than any other GL offering.

SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:58 PM   #17
Borderstone

Hi,Trudie W.!! Borderstone here. A great big welcome hug & kiss to you! Mmmmmmwahh!
One thing I know about women who like Gordon Lightfoot,they're all Beautiful!

I and all of us know how you feel about GL. I think we've all had the same eye (and ear) opening experience in relation to how great the music is and how great his voice is as well.
As I've said on other posts,I 1st heard Sundown when I was 6 and over 2 decades heard a little more of his stuff,even bought a few albums but I never really got it until I bought the "Songbook" 4 CD box set in Aug. 2001. Then I knew there was more than just his 6 American top 40 hits.
In 2002,I went on a Gordon Lightfoot shopping spree and I now have all of his albums (except his 1st Canadian LP on Aim records in the early 60's and the upcoming "Harmony".

It does my heart good to see people younger than me getting into GL,as well as other long established artists. For awhile,I thought the music of yesterday would be lost.
Thank goodness for someone like yourself who has a more open mind for music. (Good grammer!)

Again,welcome to here and have fun! Gotta go!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited February 22, 2004).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:05 PM   #18
steve gittins

As a fan of GL for over 35 years, I find it so difficult to pick either a favourite song or a favourite album. I have 23 CD's now
( that includes the 4 CD Songbook ) starting with United Artist Collection 1965 to the most recent GL Greatest Hits 2002.I have bought several CD's from Amazon at very reasonable prices, they can be difficult to get over here in England, Looking forward to the next album in the Spring. I have 3 daughters, 25, 23, 20. The older ones "tolerate" Gl while I have actually caught the youngest " borrowing" my CD's to listen to! I really feel that GL is a matter of personal choice but judging by the dialogue on this message board he appeals to a wide range of fans in many different ways
steve gittins is offline   Reply With Quote