banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
charlene

Default HOT DOCS-Lightfoot doc.-interviews/photos/articles-Apr-2019-AND TV viewing info

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...iere-1.5052660

Film is among 16 newly announced titles for Hot Docs, which runs April 25-May 5

A film about Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot will make its world premiere at this year's Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival.

Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind is from directors Joan Tosoni and Martha Kehoe.

It sees the Orillia, Ont., native revealing the inspiration behind his lyrics and longevity.

The film is among 16 newly announced titles for the Special Presentations program of Hot Docs, which runs from April 25 to May 5 in Toronto.

https://www.hotdocs.ca/p/hot-docs-festival

90 min | World Premiere
From a rural Ontario childhood to Greenwich Village of the ’60s, stadium tours of the ’70s and beyond, vivid archival footage helps chart the career of the legendary songwriter as he reveals the inspiration behind his lyrics and longevity.

Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind is a CBC Docs original. It will be released theatrically in Canada this summer and will air on CBC and the documentary Channel in late 2019.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
paskatefan

Default Re: HOT DOCS -LIGHTFOOT doc to premiere

Hope we eventually get to see this outside of Canada!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
charlene

HOT DOCS - TORONTO film festival... Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind
TIX ON SALE to public - MARCH 26-
WORLD PREMIERE night - april 27-saturday - Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind

One of Canada's most beloved musical icons - Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind. directors Joan Tosoni and Martha Kehoe to share stories about his unparalleled career, his inspired songwriting and his connection to Toronto, the city that loves him back.
About the film
From the song he refuses to perform to his admiration for Drake, a songwriting legend reflects on his lyrics and longevity with candour and humour. At 80 years young (and currently recording another album), Gordon Lightfoot continues to entertain and enlighten. Personal archive materials and studio sessions paint an intimate picture of an artist in his element, candidly revisiting his idealistic years in Yorkville's coffeehouses, up through stadium tours and the hedonistic '70s. Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Barbra Streisand are only a handful of the stars whose recordings of "Early Morning Rain" and other hits helped Lightfoot's artistry leap across borders, but no matter how far his music travelled, he continued to write passionately about the country he called home. As fellow music icon Burton Cummings sums it up, "Gordon's stuff screamed Canada." With his instantly recognizable voice and masterful guitar playing, Gordon Lightfoot remains influential and timeless. Alexander Rogalski
Old 03-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
Off Yonge Street

The website for the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema (located at 506 Bloor St. West in Toronto, near the Bathurst subway station) indicates that the movie "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind" (88 minutes) will be also be screened on the following additional dates:

Friday, May 24 - 1:00 p.m. and 6:15 p.m.
Saturday, May 25 - 3:15 p.m.
Sunday, May 26 - 2:15 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Monday, May 27 - 1:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, May 28 - 3:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
Wednesday, May 29 - 1:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
Friday, May 31 - 1:00 p.m.

The following link has further information:
https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websale...-55bb26639089&.
Off Yonge Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #5
charlene

was just going to post the May dates! lol

APRIL 27 and 30 are sold out. RUSH tix may be available by lining up an hour prior to screenings.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
charlene

Default HOT DOCS-Lightfoot documentary - interviews/photos/articles-Apr.-2019

https://torontosun.com/entertainment...about-his-life

Jan Stephenson

'The cat's meow,' says Gordon Lightfoot of the idea of a feature film about his life.
Gordon Lightfoot’s notable life is appearing in all forms currently.

There was Nicholas Jennings’ 2017 bestselling biography, Lightfoot, and a new 2019 documentary, Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind, directed by Martha Kehoe and Joan Tosoni, which will have its world premiere at Toronto’s Hot Docs on April 27 before it gets a theatrical release in early summer and TV broadcast on CBC in the fall.

So the next thing could be a feature film right?

Sure, says the 80-year-old folk-pop legend who is touring southern Ontario including two dates on April 15-16 at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga.

“Well, I mean if somebody wanted to take it on,” said Lightfoot with a laugh. “I’m sure there’s some out there that would jump at the opportunity, who could really get into it with vigour.”

Just don’t ask him if he knows who should play him.

“No,” said Lightfoot. “That’s always such a thing to think about. My goodness. Wouldn’t that just be the cat’s meow if anybody ever did that? I wouldn’t care. Whatever anybody wants to do. It’s a free world. We live in a free world, thank goodness. If they do, I’ll try and help them. If it came down to that I would try to offer some input but I would not spend a whole lot of time. But I could certainly add something.”

We caught up with Lightfoot recently on the phone in Toronto.

What can you tell me about the new documentary?

We worked on that over the last three-and-a-half years with Insight Productions.

Have you seen it?

No, of course not! It’ll be the first time for me (on April 27).

Is it true you have 14 new songs ready to go for a brand-new studio album that would be your first in 15 years?

Yeah, I’ve got a whole bunch of material that I wrote a long time ago that I discovered one day while cleaning out my office. It was a very, very lucky day. They go back to about the turn of the century, 2001, just before the (stomach) aneurysm (in 2002). And let me tell you this. I had already chosen a number of tunes for the Harmony album (recorded in 2001 but not released until 2004) while I was still in the hospital getting over the first series of operations. I had seven operations. I was out cold for six weeks. I had no idea how close it came.

What approach might you take with the new album?

I’m half-tempted to let the whole thing go solo. I’m trying to figure that out right now. That would be really interesting. I remember when Bruce Springsteen did that with his (1982) Nebraska album. It could be (just me and my acoustic guitar) or I could go in with my orchestra and we could start working on the stuff that works into the fall. What I’m trying to say is, I would like to get on with it because I’m not getting any younger, let’s put it that way.

So when do we get to hear it?

Well, if I do it this way (solo acoustic), it’d probably come out in the fall. You don’t want to come out short and you don’t want to come out long. Albums can be too long and you wind up with a couple of sleepers. So like 10-12 (songs). I don’t like 11. I’ve got a couple of newer ones too that I want to record, demos, which will also be originals.

How are you feeling at the ripe old age of 80?

I feel that I move slower and my mouth dries out. (Laughs). I forget names.

But you’re still touring a lot so you must be feeling okay?

We’ve got the crowd these days. Everywhere we go anywhere now usually we’re full. So we’re just going to cruise along and hope that everybody stays healthy.

You closed Toronto’s Massey Hall last year before two years of renovations. Do you expect you will reopen it again?

Probably. They will do whatever they want. (They haven’t asked) not to my knowledge yet, but how could I not be there? For openers. The only thing that could happen is that it could be some kind of a health issue or something like that. So we always try to stay prepared for that mentally. We’ll see if they want me. If they want me, I’ll be there.

Gordon Lightfoot 2019 Canadian tour dates:
04/03 Richmond Hill Centre For The Performing Arts, Richmond Hill, ON ( 04/05-06 Empire Theatre, Belleville, ON
04/08 Talk Is Free Georgian Theatre, Barrie, ON
04/09 Stockey Centre For The Performing Arts, Parry Sound, ON
04/11-12 Partridge Hall First Ontario Arts Centre, St. Catharines, ON
04/13 The Meeting House , Oakville, ON
04/15-16 Living Arts Centre, Mississauga, ON
Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 AM   #7
T.G.

Default Re: TORONTO SUN-HOT DOCS-Lightfoot interview-Apr.4-2019

Whoa, so he might do the whole new album solo. That would be interesting ... but personally, I`d like to see the ``orchestra`` in on it.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:59 AM   #8
Melissa

".....we'll see if they want me......"
Priceless.

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
charlene

I met Martha Kehoe (Co-producer/director with Joan Tosoni) last July at Massey Hall when I sat beside the videographer for this documentary.. and today she provided me with a ticket for the premiere AND the second night it will be shown on Tuesday. Showings for the public will be in May in many cities across Canada. Late 2019 it will be on CBC TV in Canada and I believe will also be released online as well. I will get more info asap. I am SO looking forward to this wonderful event. Gordon will be doing a Q&A on Saturday after the film airs. There will also be refreshments, appetizers and LIVE music at a nearby location for attendees. I can't wait!! Premiere - Saturday April 27, 2019 - Toronto https://womenandhollywood.com/hot-do...-read-my-mind/

Martha Kehoe is a writer, producer, and director who has worked on and created award-winning documentaries, series, and specials in multiple genres. Her early career focused on music, as she researched and wrote “Country Gold,” a documentary anthology of Canadian country and folk music, as well as produced the Juno Awards and “Canadian Idol” for several years. She worked as a producer, director, and writer on documentaries “Comedy Gold” and ““One Weekend.”

Joan Tosoni is a writer, producer and director who has worked in Canadian film and television production for over 30 years. She’s directed award-winning projects such as “Karen Kain: Dancing in the Moment,” “Kurt Browning: You Must Remember This,” and “Jonie Mitchell: Painting with Words and Music.” In 2016, she directed the Stratford Festival’s “King Lear,” which was shown at hundreds of theaters across Canada and the U.S. and awarded the Canadian Screen Award for Best Performing Arts Program.

“Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind” will premiere at the 2019 Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival on April 27.

W&H: Describe the film for us in your own words.

MK: “Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind” is an intimate look at singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot’s career and artistic output. We try to shed light on Lightfoot’s process, his impact as a cultural figure, and his musicality, while offering glimpses into his personal life and what has driven him to create.

JT: Through concert and archival footage, and through conversations with Gord and others, we wanted to explore the man behind the music that is so loved by so many.

W&H: What drew you to this story?

MK: Gordon Lightfoot was a ubiquitous presence during my childhood. In some ways he was the first Canadian star that resonated with me. I used to listen to his music. I remember sitting under a willow tree around the age of ten thinking about the song “If You Could Read My Mind” and wondering what it meant. Later I was privileged to meet and work with Gord on shows big and small over the years. It’s been a dream project for me and Joan for years basically.

JT: I have known and worked with Gordon Lightfoot for many years. Martha and I first worked together with him in the early ’90s on a documentary about the history of Canadian music, and since then a trust developed between us that allowed him to feel comfortable enough to have his story told.

I agree with something Steve Earle says in the film: “Gordon Lightfoot’s arguably the most important artist that Canadian music’s ever produced, in the mainstream or otherwise.”

W&H: What do you want people to think about when they are leaving the theater?

MK: I think we are hoping that people will appreciate Gordon for the great artist that he is. I hope they will think about his legacy and his unique place in Canadian cultural history and recognize that he has worked very hard on his craft. Something that Gordon offers up in the film is his honesty about some of the darker moments in his past, and I hope viewers recognize that he is on his own journey of acceptance.

Number one, of course, is that people will go home and either dust off their vinyl or tune into Lightfoot playlists on their streaming services!

JT: There is no doubt that Gordon’s memorable songs will be running through the minds of the audience after watching the documentary, but I hope they’ll also come away from the theater with more insight into what makes Gordon tick. For a somewhat inscrutable character, he was very generous with his time, and I believe he really tried to give us as honest a look at his “inner workings” as anyone has ever seen.

W&H: What was the biggest challenge in making the film?

MK: I think the biggest challenge making this film was giving up the idea of making the “definitive” film about Gordon Lightfoot. Because Gord has never consented to making a film like this before, Joan and I felt the weight of trying to do total justice to the man, the music, the career, and the Canadian icon. At a certain point we just had to accept that there are many possible films that could—or perhaps would—be made about Lightfoot and we were just going to make the one that we were making.

JT: Other than securing the financing, which was done with dedication by Insight Productions over the course of five years, I would say the biggest challenge was paring down the wealth of archival and interview material we had accumulated. Another film of the same length could be made with what was left on the cutting room floor, as they say.

W&H: How did you get your film funded? Share some insights into how you got the film made.

MK: We first proposed and developed this project almost six years ago. Our broadcaster CBC funded development, and we applied to funds after writing proposals and treatments, shooting some material, and creating a demo. We did pretty well and had significant support, but we couldn’t at that point close funding gaps. Basically, all parties were still onside, and CBC supported us through the years as we remounted and reapplied to the various funds.

JT: We got incredible support from the Rogers Documentary Fund, the Rogers Cable Network Fund, the Rogers Theatrical Documentary Program, the Telefilm Theatrical Documentary Program, and the Canada Media Fund. And, very importantly, we would not have been able to make the film without Gary Slaight of Slaight Communications Inc., who backed the film in a very significant way.

W&H: What inspired you to become a filmmaker?

MK: I grew up in a family of storytellers who loved music and movies, so I was always surrounded by enthusiasm for and awe of filmmaking. I came of age in a really great time for cinema, and I remember going to see films like “Chinatown” and “The Godfather” when I was probably too young and too impressionable! I loved epic films and quiet films, and I took Film Studies in university, where I was introduced to the concepts of semiotics and film analysis, and I just loved it all.

JT: I actually stumbled upon my first full-time job, which was as a secretary at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. At that time, it was a great training ground for all things film and television. The first time I ever stepped into a control room to watch a live show being broadcast, I said to myself, in the famous words of Tina Fey’s little daughter, “I want to go to there!”

I was trained and worked as an A.D. and then received a momentous offer from producer Les Pouliot to direct a very popular Canadian television series, “The Tommy Hunter Show,” which was also sold to and broadcast on The Nashville Network. I worked mostly on multi-camera programs, and then had the great good fortune to meet John Brunton of Insight Productions. At that company, I not only directed numerous multi-camera shows but was given the opportunity to tell stories with a more filmic, single-camera approach. That led to my collaboration with Martha on the two-part documentary “Country Gold.” I joined the Directors Guild of America and directed various shows throughout the years.

I consider it a great gift to have been given the opportunity to work not only in the excitement of “live television,” but to have learned the frustrations, joys, and satisfactions of conceiving a style and creating something memorable in the editing room!

part 2 - next post
Old 04-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #10
charlene

W&H: What’s the best and worst advice you’ve received?

MK: I remember a conversation I had with comedian Frank Shuster when I was in development for a documentary I directed about Canadian comedy. Frank was in his eighties at the time. He was half of successful Canadian comedy duo Wayne and Shuster, and had also been Lorne Michaels’ father-in-law.

He told me a story about Lorne as a young man asking him whether he thought Lorne should pursue a career in show business, as Frank always called it. He said if you want to do it, nothing will stop you. It’s not advice, but it’s wisdom, and I guess I took that to heart.

JT: Best advice: “Don’t sweat the small stuff.” Worst advice: “Don’t sweat the small stuff.” You pick your moments.

W&H: What advice do you have for other female directors?

MK: I guess just don’t be afraid. Tell your story—don’t question its validity or whether anyone wants to hear it. Trust yourself and your passion.

JT: I’d rather receive advice from other female directors!

W&H: Name your favorite woman-directed film and why.

MK: I am really not good with narrowing things down when it comes to favorites. I guess some of the films that impressed me most were those I saw when I was just learning so much about film and the world too. Gillian Armstrong”s “My Brilliant Career” was huge for me and my fellow female students, and it’s really a delight in every way. Also, two words: Judy Davis.

Lina Wertmüller’s “Seven Beauties” was a revelation, and certain scenes have just really stayed with me to this day. I also loved Susan Seidelman’s “Desperately Seeking Susan.” It was just so much fun and so in the zeitgeist. “The Piano,” and really all of Jane Campion’s work, is so great. I love “Clueless” for various reasons, including that I’m not a good driver. My daughters went through a period of obsession with Penelope Spheeris’ “Little Rascals,” which is also a great movie that’s so, so dear, with hidden punk sensibilities.

Nicole Holofcener’s “Lovely and Amazing” and “Friends with Money,” Martha Coolidge’s “Ramblin Rose,” and Greta Gerwig’s “Lady Bird” were great. “Marianne and Juliane,” directed by Margarethe von Trotta, was an early favorite as well. Too many to name!

JT: I don’t generally distinguish between woman-directed or man-directed films. If it’s good, it’s good.

W&H: It’s been a little over a year since the reckoning in Hollywood and the global film industry began. What differences have you noticed since the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements launched?

MK: I think that, overall, it’s a time when we are finally realizing that the world is very small, and it’s more fun to go through life with good vibes for all. It’s exciting to think of all the new lenses that we will be seeing stories through. New voices, new ideas, new stories: Bring it on!

JT: This is the hardest question for me. We could all write a book! I grew up in a much earlier time than the young filmmakers working today. I dealt with the worst of men, but also the best of men, who I truly believe gave me and other women opportunities based solely on merit.

My hope is that any changes that are happening now lead to the day when this is the norm.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:27 PM   #11
charlene

INTERVIEW - AUDIO:

http://www.rcmpodcast.com/rcmp/2019/4/23/139
Old 04-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #12
charlene

Default DOCUMENTARY-Interview with Lightfoot-Globe and Mail

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...t-go/#comments

Hot Docs 2019:
If we could read Gordon Lightfoot’s mind, it might go something like this...
BRAD WHEELER
PUBLISHED APRIL 24, 2019
UPDATED 6 HOURS AGO

In advance of the world premiere of Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind at this year’s Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival, the film’s co-director Joan Tosoni spoke to The Globe and Mail about the beloved balladeer and which of his stories she and co-director Martha Kehoe chose to tell and which they did not.

Films opening this week: The unstoppable Avengers: Endgame, plus Toronto’s Hot Docs festival begins

What was your relationship with Gordon Lightfoot before you began making this film?

I’ve known him for a long time. So has Martha Kehoe, who co-directed the film with me. I first met him at the 1976 Olympics benefit at Maple Leaf Gardens, which we see some of in the film. I was an assistant director on the show. Subsequent to that, we’ve done many things together over the years. One of which, where our trust started to grow, was the documentary Country Gold, which Martha and I did for CBC in the early 1980s. Gord has to trust people before he’ll let them at him.

How did this new documentary come to be?

John Brunton, of Insight Productions, always had it in his mind that he wanted to do a documentary on Gord. Finally, five years ago, we thought, “Let’s get it done.” Gord agreed right away. It did take five years to get the funding, though.

Because of the licensing fees for the music and archival footage?

Right. That’s expensive, which meant the budget was higher than it would be otherwise. So, it took a while, but Gord was very patient. He said, “Joan, it’ll happen when it happens.”

You spoke to a lot of people in the film. Anyone you wanted to get but didn’t?

Well, everybody wants Bob Dylan, because he’s Bob Dylan. We would have loved to get him, but we didn’t. He doesn’t do interviews. Neil Young is in the film, performing Early Morning Rain at Farm Aid, but he’s a busy guy. Our schedules never came together. In the end, not getting those guys didn’t hurt the film. I hope it didn’t.

Other than his current wife, no family members appear in the film. Why not?

We decided to explore his artistic output. He’s a very private man. He has six children, with four different women. Once you start getting into that, it could be a film in itself. We wanted to get inside his inner workings as an artist. His troubled life, especially in the early days, with his divorces, that’s a lot to go into. We just decided it wasn’t in the scope of this film.

I was surprised there’s no mention of his near death, in 2002, when he suffered a ruptured aortic aneurysm in his abdomen. Why no mention of it?

It was in the cut at one point. Really, the hardest thing about this film was paring down what belonged and what did not. We just decided we had other stuff that we’d rather see. We felt his near death would put a damper on things. He’s still going strong. It’s a choice we made.

Well, I see it as a glaring omission in his story. On the other hand, no Lightfoot fan will likely complain about the footage of him playing Movin’ On at the old Riverboat folk club in Toronto.

That was a promotional video, made by CN Rail. He wrote the song for that film. We knew it was great, and that it had to be in our film. You know, the editing process was not easy. Everybody loves Gord. We could have had two hours of nothing but people praising him.

Everybody loves him, but does he love himself? He comes off as regretful in the film.

He actually says, early in the film, “I guess I don’t like who I am.” He’s a tortured guy, and there’s a sense that he’s now atoning for things. He has regrets, and he clearly states that. He wants to be better. He talks about his band, and that they always want to make the shows the best they can be. That’s him trying to be a good person. Trying, I think, to be worthy.

Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind makes its world premiere at the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival (April 25 to May 6), on April 27 and 30. Information at www.hotdocs.ca

The film also screens at Vancouver’s DOXA Documentary Film Festival (May 2 to 12), on May 4 and 12. Information at doxafestival.ca
Old 04-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #13
charlene

Producer/director Martha Kehoe has provided me with tix for Premiere night, Saturday April 27 and the second night on Tuesday Apr.30.. Showings for the general public will be in May.

I am SO excited!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #14
charlene

https://nationalpost.com/entertainme...M7x9B9yGHqD5S0

Gordon Lightfoot, 80, quits smoking and ignites a new burst of creativity
Lightfoot is planning a full-length album, his first in 15 years

TORONTO — Gordon Lightfoot says he recently kicked his smoking habit and rekindled a reluctant relationship with songwriting in the process.

The 80-year-old Canadian musician says the two life changes have led him towards planning a full-length album due out sometime later this year or in early 2020.

The untitled project will be his first in 15 years, and even Lightfoot seems surprised at how it took shape. He’d largely sworn off writing new material — calling the process “isolating” — before he picked up the pen more seriously again last October.

“I started the same time I quit smoking — cigarettes that is,” he said from his Toronto home.

It helped that Lightfoot discovered a treasure trove of unreleased material while he was housecleaning last year. Two CDs of songs he recorded nearly two decades ago were tucked away in his office.

“I didn’t even know I had about half a dozen of these tunes,” he said.

Lightfoot says the songs were created in late 2001 and early 2002, as he worked on “Harmony,” an album that was sidelined when he suffered a near-fatal abdominal aortic aneurysm later that year. While “Harmony” was eventually released in 2004, he says several of the songs went missing in the process.

“I know why I was saving them now… but I don’t know why I forgot about them,” he says.

Hearing them again, Lightfoot started thinking about the possibilities of a few other lingering ideas.

“I’ve had four or five that I had been working on for a long time, but finding these other ones just topped me right off,” he said.

Lightfoot’s new burst of creativity comes as his legendary status goes under the microscope in the new documentary, “Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind,” a reflection on his career and influence, which premieres Saturday at the Hot Docs film festival in Toronto.

He’s also continuing with his steady-as-she-goes touring schedule, which rolls through parts of the United States in May and June.

Lightfoot says he’s still undecided on how he’ll present the new songs, though he favours releasing them as solo recordings with only him and a guitar, similar to Bruce Springsteen’s 1982 album “Nebraska.” He’s confident that whatever form they take, the album is “going to be a nice one.”

“There’s about three or four (songs) on there that I really think are good — valid good. They’re philosophical and they’re kind of funny,” he says.

“There’s a couple of lovey-dovey tunes in there, too.”

Follow @dfriend on Twitter.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Really nice. I hope you really enjoy the show tonight. Envy you for sure.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #16
charlene

IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND - GORDON LIGHTFOOT documentary. NO SPOILERS at this time ... but what an EPIC night for our Canadian legend and all in attendance...the doc and after party were marvellous.

I'm just getting my thoughts together because it was a lot to take in and the emotional overload had me awake almost all night re-living the previous several hours. Martha and Joan really captured the life and times of a very complex man and his 80 years on this planet..Most of them spent perfecting his extraordinary talents and sharing them so generously with the world. I had so many emotions as the doc played - there were laughs, I teared up many times, saw some wonderful old footage, loved hearing a very candid Gordon and Kim, a few surprises !! and of course, music, always the music. Overall it was a beautifully done piece, great edits and storytelling.

A few things were missing but that is always the case in any attempt at putting a life such as Gordon's into a 90 minute movie.. The after party saw Gordon really, really having a great time, relaxed and enjoying himself, talking with people and loving the different musical artists who performed. Rick, Barry and Michael were in attendance with their partners and all the band, including Carter had some moments in the doc as well. It was a treat to spend some time with them and enjoy something that had them be such an integral part of all these years.

I am SO thankful I was given tickets to attend such a momentous "Lightfoot" moment in time. I was given another ticket so will be back in Toronto on Tuesday to see it again!! - this time I will breathe and try not to cry.

It was an EPIC night and I got a new photo of The Man when I had a few minutes with him. There are no photos or video of the actual documentary but I do have video and photos from the Q @ A and after party.

No set plans to release the doc in DVD form and no news about TV broadcasting anywhere but Canada for the time being.

59295205_440811920075676_5664960665404571648_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr

D5MZgM7W4AAODjo by char Westbrook, on Flickr

If_You_Could_Read_My_Mind_1 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

geoff george photo for Hot Docs by char Westbrook, on Flickr

If_You_Could_Read_My_Mind_2 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

If_You_Could_Read_My_Mind_5 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

If_You_Could_Read_My_Mind_3 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

20190427_221908 by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 04-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #17
lighthead2toe

Wow! This really is great stuff. Thanks for the sharing. Keep up the great work there Char.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #18
charlene

miscellaneous TWITTER/INSTAGRAM photos

56947249_2462313020499305_2780980671110064567_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr

57247143_582835445556814_9124764588625053845_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr

58409523_856027064751138_3514844587353362224_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr

58411043_395955931258208_2741930691951821350_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr

58468350_2643679279036072_6303590863002933919_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr

57462964_113364029866898_4654649978956383491_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 04-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #19
charlene

Default Re: HOT DOCS-Lightfoot documentary - interviews/photos/articles-Apr.-2019

TOM HAYES pics:
tom hayes pic2-apr.2019 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

tom hayes pic1-apr.2019 by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 04-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #20
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater
Default Re: HOT DOCS-Lightfoot documentary - interviews/photos/articles-Apr.-2019

I sure hope they release it on DVD someday. Thanks,
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #21
charlene

gordon-lightfoot-C.Burston-CanPress by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 04-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #22
charlene

This photo of Gordon reclining on the couch with his guitar by Cole Burston of The Canadian Press has been nominated for ''Portrait of The Year'' by NPAC : (News Photographer Association of Canada) https://npac.ca/2020/02/2019-nationa...ear-finalists/
C.BURSTON-CanPress
3c.burston-can.press by char Westbrook, on Flickr
1c.burston-can.press by char Westbrook, on Flickr

2c.burston-can.press by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 04-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #23
charlene

VIDEO interview -

https://globalnews.ca/video/5218619/...wJFp2hJiutptzI
Old 05-01-2019, 05:37 AM   #24
paskatefan

Wow! Thank you, Char!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #25
charlene

56985630_2212414942172573_1943759106583322693_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr

57402405_160796174940413_4561475527964316274_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr

57234196_279906306250488_5152129950410728442_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr

57909287_793025597744401_9041938778052675538_n by char Westbrook, on Flickr