banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Just got Summer Side Of Life and Endless Wire albums for Christmas. I ain't had the chance to play them yet, but I think I'll play EW first. I've found when it comes to getting new CDs, you're much better off to play the one you want to hear the most first. Trying the"save the best for last" deal just doesn't work.

Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
brink-

Good deal Douglas!! I really like EW, a lot of people don't but Daylight Katy and the Circle is Small - they are just great.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
Kathy in Michigan

I got SHADOWS! I haven't had a chance to listen yet either, but will tomorrow on my way to work (I'm going the long way...)
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
Andrea

I got Summer Side Of Life and Harmony! Before Christmas my copy of Sundown came in the mail. I still need Endless Wire and many many others.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Gitchigumee

I received the United Artists collection double CD. Yay! I too have not had a chance to listen. Must find a time when I am able to savor every moment, because there's only one "first time"!!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
fezo

I got the United Artists double CD as a present to myself. Also finally picked up Cold on the Shoulder on CD. One can only wear out so much vinyl. So now I have everything through Summertime Dream on CD.

I'll offer the different opinion on Endless Wire and Summer Side of Life. I dearly love SSOL. That would certainly be the one I'd play first. You mileage may vary.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
patybear

My christmas gifts didn't include any G.L. music.I did receive some money.I'm thinking about buying'Gord's Gold'with part of it.There are a couple of other things I'm thinking about buying with my x-mas money,so I'll have to wait and see
what(if anything)is leftover before I actually make any C.D.purchases.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Gitchigumee

Hey has anyone noticed in some discount dept. stores they're selling old-fashioned-looking phonograph players, with a turntable to play old records. I'm very tempted to snatch one up. They're very retro-looking. I've got a cabinet full of old albumns I'd love to listen to again. Of course some I've bought the CD of, but most are just sitting there collecting dust. If I'da got money for Christmas, I think that's what I'd be doing with it.

And by the way, I'm listening to my United Artists CD as we speak, and I was so moved by Gord's version of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." I'm amazed that he wrote that, as I've only heard the version that Roberta Flack made famous, and had no idea Gord wrote the song.

Now this may seem terrible to you folks who have been following his career through the decades that I didn't know that before, but I was born in '64, discovered Gordon Lightfoot in mid-70's when I was about 10 when he recorded Sundown, and then re-discovered him about 10 years ago, and been listening ever since. It's SO MUCH FUN discovering these little tidbits as I learn more and more about Gord. It's like finding buried treasure and each time I discover something new, I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. What a joy!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Old 12-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
fezo

There's good reason you didn't know Gord wrote "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." He didn't. That first album had a couple of covers on it and that is one of them. It was written by Ewan MacColl.

The interesting thing on the first album is that he sounds very at home in the covers so it's not surprising that it sounds like he wrote it. It's the same way on "changes," which was written by Phil Ochs.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
Gitchigumee

Ooops, should have done my homework better. I now see where it states who wrote the songs. Oh well, out of 49 songs, looks like Gord wrote all but 3, which are: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, written by Ewan McColl; Changes, written by Phil Ochs, and Pride of Man, written by Hamilton Camp. I guess 46 out of 49 is pretty good. Darn it anyway!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
fezo

Not to worry! Yeah, I think 46 out of 49 covers it. Waaaaayyy back when I saw Ewan McColl and Peggy Seeger in New Haven. Great show.

That UA Collection is great. I've always thought that Back Here on Earth was a greatly underrated album and am a big fan of The Way I Feel (the album) - particularly what back in the vinyl world was side two. Plus it has Walls on it. I can't completely explain what it is I like about Walls. There are other songs where I can put my finger on what I think makes a song good. Walls is just fun to listen to. I never get tired of it.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:58 PM   #12
spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
Good deal Douglas!! I really like EW, a lot of people don't but Daylight Katy and the Circle is Small - they are just great.
Those 2 are my favorite from that album too.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:23 AM   #13
DJ in MJ

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
A hugely underrated album in my book. It's one of my favourites.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:18 AM   #14
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

I got the UA collection too. A lot of the tunes I aleady have on Gord's Gold, but some I only have on vinyl (which I can no longer play) and some I heard for the first time. Besides the 3 covers on the UA collection, the only other covers I can think of Gord having done is "Me and Bobby McGee (Kristofferson) and "Ring Them Bells" (Dylan). Anyone know of any others?
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:13 AM   #15
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Farnham:
the only other covers I can think of Gord having done is "Me and Bobby McGee (Kristofferson) and "Ring Them Bells"
(Dylan). Anyone know of any others?
Being married to a very important Susan, I personally can never forget the cream of the cover's bunch.
"On Susan's Floor" by the late by Shel Silverstein and Vince Matthews.
Of course there are dozens we would all love Gord to record, starting with the traditional "Farewell To Nova Scotia"
which fortunately is floating around as a couple of bootlegs; 1965's La Cave or the infinitely better and livelier "stomping"version from a 1971 or 1972 UK BBC television broadcast.
When tackled aboot recording it Gord usually counters by saying something like he would be stepping on Ian Tyson's toes, probably the same would apply to a cover of Ian's Four Strong Winds althouh to some ears (mine especially)
Mike Kublik's solo, on the Chad Mitchel Trio's version sounds uncannily like Gord
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #16
johnfowles

and talking of La Cave
there are several other covers in the set especially
(Let's) Get Together and Turn to the third.
and many more covers on the Early Lightfoot and Two Tones albums (the latter sports "Kilgarry Mountain"a.k.a. "Whiskey in the Jar"
as memorably performed and videoed by me by Ron Jones back in November)
You also forgot the song penned by his nephew
"I used to be a country singer"
and Borderstone's rave "My Love For You" from the Harry Tracy soundtrack
Old 12-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #17
spammer

I don't believe "Red Velvet" is his either.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:38 PM   #18
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

Thanks for the info guys! I had forgotten that "On Susan's Floor" was Silverstein. Also, come to think of it I have heard his "Farewell To Nova Scotia" bootleg rendition, but the recording's not too great. Would love to hear the "stompin'" version! BTW John I'm married to a Susan also!
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #19
fezo

Right you are! Red Velvet is Ian Tyson as well.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:41 AM   #20
Peter Bro10

This is certainly a great thread! much more here than I thought there would be. You guys (gender nuetral term here) teach me so much every time I stop in. I have to admit I'm a little bummed that Gord didn't pen "On Susan's floor". I am going to check that out myself, not that I don't trust y'all.

But now for my list of Christmas booty:
Salute, Waiting for You, Harmony; then in addition to the music, I received the Peter Gzowski interview on DVD. The later I have yet to spin.

This should give me more than enough to take in... One can never really have too much of a good thing, can they??? Umm??

Best wishes to all in 2007!!!!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #21
patybear

To Peter Bro10:
What is this interview with Peter
Gzowski that you talk about?Where can I find a copy of it? Details,details,pleeeese.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:06 PM   #22
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:

Not by his nephew, but by his nephew's bandmate (Steve McEown).
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:44 PM   #23
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by vlmagee:
quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:

Not by his nephew, but by his nephew's bandmate (Steve McEown). [/QUOTE]Oops nothing but the facts m'am.
My blooper also for omitting Ian's Red Velvet
I am surprised that nobody has yet picked upon the omission so far of the tour de force by Leroy Van Dyke about an aspiring "Auctioneer"
not to mention unreleased classics such as "Partners" and the "33rd of August"
Old 12-31-2006, 01:30 PM   #24
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by patybear:
To Peter Bro10:
What is this interview with Peter
Gzowski that you talk about?Where can I find a copy of it? Details,details,pleeeese.
patybear
the late Peter Gzowski had a fantastic television interview with Gord durubg which the band played about 4 songs read all aboot it right now at:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/GORDON-LIGHTFOOT...em120070232727
Old 12-31-2006, 03:09 PM   #25
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

It's a great interview, but the "DVD" is a bootleg, probably originally captured on tape. Don't expect digital quality.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote