banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #976
miketouhy

that's a Rolling Stones song.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #977
miketouhy

that's a Rolling Stones song.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #978
Frank

hello, just joined because of this post.. man that is tough. how to pick one of the masters fav's..

can i have more than 1??

------------------
humbly yours,
robert
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #979
RCAndrews

hello, just joined because of this post.. man that is tough. how to pick one of the masters fav's..

can i have more than 1??

------------------
humbly yours,
robert
RCAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:54 PM   #980
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by RCAndrews:

can i have more than 1??

If you're like most of us here, you have one for each day of the year.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:14 PM   #981
Blake

Send a message via AIM to Blake

Hard to pick a favorite, but I'm especially partial to two: "Sea of Tranquility" and "Old Dan's Records."
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #982
rbush

Definitely. . ."The Canadian Railroad Trilogy"
Love them all, however!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #983
rbush

Definitely. . ."The Canadian Railroad Trilogy"
Love them all, however!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:04 PM   #984
AnonymousFan

Since the discussion requests only one song, I'll have to say "Ribbon Of Darkness". It was the first GL song I can remember hearing, recorded by both GL and Marty Robbins and it was the song that made me a GL fan at six years old.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:04 PM   #985
AnonymousFan

Since the discussion requests only one song, I'll have to say "Ribbon Of Darkness". It was the first GL song I can remember hearing, recorded by both GL and Marty Robbins and it was the song that made me a GL fan at six years old.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:13 PM   #986
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I am pretty sure I have posted to this topic before but have no idea when so as it has resurfaced again I'll add my 5 cents worth and my personal favo(u)rite Lightfoot song.Unfortunately it is not a Lightfoot song per se but the fantastic Lightfoot rendition of the beautiful Ewan MacColl song
"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face".I can remember first hearing this on the Montreal FM radio station CJFM way back in 1966 and credit that recording with starting my long devotion to Gordon's music which was uiltimately responsible for saving my life some 34 years later when a fellow Lightfoot fan my dearest susan a.k.a. gordlover literaly saved my life in the chat room that I now so relentlessly advertise every Friday. I have just had a relook at page one of this topic and can thoroughly recommend the postings made on 14 april 2000 by "fezo" and a reply by Valerie Magee on the subject of the timing of the composition of "the wreck"

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:13 PM   #987
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I am pretty sure I have posted to this topic before but have no idea when so as it has resurfaced again I'll add my 5 cents worth and my personal favo(u)rite Lightfoot song.Unfortunately it is not a Lightfoot song per se but the fantastic Lightfoot rendition of the beautiful Ewan MacColl song
"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face".I can remember first hearing this on the Montreal FM radio station CJFM way back in 1966 and credit that recording with starting my long devotion to Gordon's music which was uiltimately responsible for saving my life some 34 years later when a fellow Lightfoot fan my dearest susan a.k.a. gordlover literaly saved my life in the chat room that I now so relentlessly advertise every Friday. I have just had a relook at page one of this topic and can thoroughly recommend the postings made on 14 april 2000 by "fezo" and a reply by Valerie Magee on the subject of the timing of the composition of "the wreck"

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #988
Ducaire

There are a lot of GL songs, and I previously had no favorite among them all. But when I bought the Gords Gold album, my favorite has always been Wherefore And Why. I like both recordings, but the 2nd one is the best.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #989
Ducaire

There are a lot of GL songs, and I previously had no favorite among them all. But when I bought the Gords Gold album, my favorite has always been Wherefore And Why. I like both recordings, but the 2nd one is the best.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:01 PM   #990
Birkholm

There are far too many songs to single out just one. GL is far and away the best lyricist in ANY genre of music, no other person even comes close. So many messages to read in this thread. Here are a few of my favourites. They aren't in any particular order, but I do like some better than others.

Your Love's Return
Peaceful Waters
Cabaret
Miguel
CRT
The Way I Feel (first version)
Crossroads
PW,CT

And countless others...
Old 12-27-2004, 12:01 PM   #991
Birkholm

There are far too many songs to single out just one. GL is far and away the best lyricist in ANY genre of music, no other person even comes close. So many messages to read in this thread. Here are a few of my favourites. They aren't in any particular order, but I do like some better than others.

Your Love's Return
Peaceful Waters
Cabaret
Miguel
CRT
The Way I Feel (first version)
Crossroads
PW,CT

And countless others...
Old 12-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #992
Janice

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
I am pretty sure I have posted to this topic before but have no idea when

That's OK, John. If you're like me your favorite has probably changed since you first posted.

In my case, my original post siting Go My Way as my favorite is still accurate, I just have to add Tattoo and I'll Tag Along as additional favorites. At the time of my first posting on this topic, I was unfamiliar with these two additional favs. I have my Lighthead friends to thank for introducing me to these and many others.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:45 PM   #993
Sheryl Klein

Janice -- you and I have the same taste in songs! Tattoo and I'll Tag Along just touch my heart... <sigh>... Hopelessly romantic... or HOPEFUL, as I'd like to think!

[This message has been edited by Sheryl Klein (edited December 27, 2004).]
Old 12-27-2004, 05:45 PM   #994
Sheryl Klein

Janice -- you and I have the same taste in songs! Tattoo and I'll Tag Along just touch my heart... <sigh>... Hopelessly romantic... or HOPEFUL, as I'd like to think!

[This message has been edited by Sheryl Klein (edited December 27, 2004).]
Old 12-27-2004, 07:55 PM   #995
Melodysnotes

Apology - from the Sunday Concert LP. I saw GL for the first time in 1973 in southern Calif. I was hooked. I've been lucky enough to have seen him more than 40 times since. He changed my life and that song says it all. It has to be one of the most perfectly crafted songs of all time. It stills gives me goose bumps after all these years. It's too bad the entire world doesn't realize what a gift he is to us. Take some time and revisit his early stuff. NOBODY wrote songs as good as Lightfoot. I changed my career because of that first concert. I took my guitar playing seriously and turned professional 5 years later.
Melodysnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:55 PM   #996
donlansdown

Apology - from the Sunday Concert LP. I saw GL for the first time in 1973 in southern Calif. I was hooked. I've been lucky enough to have seen him more than 40 times since. He changed my life and that song says it all. It has to be one of the most perfectly crafted songs of all time. It stills gives me goose bumps after all these years. It's too bad the entire world doesn't realize what a gift he is to us. Take some time and revisit his early stuff. NOBODY wrote songs as good as Lightfoot. I changed my career because of that first concert. I took my guitar playing seriously and turned professional 5 years later.
donlansdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:27 AM   #997
Aaron

One of my favorite lightfoot tunes is The House You Live In because the melody is so beautiful. The words to the song have an important message to tell.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:27 AM   #998
Aaron

One of my favorite lightfoot tunes is The House You Live In because the melody is so beautiful. The words to the song have an important message to tell.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:13 PM   #999
ELizabeth

My favorite GL songs change from time to time. Right now 'Tattoo' and 'Spanish Moss' followed closely by 'River of Light'. There is no doubt that he is a master songsmith. Not only can he compose wonderful songs but taking a good look at his cataloguen reflects that he is also a very productive composer. He has said that part of his productivity is the result of feeling responsible for the financial well-being of his band.
P.S. Does anyone but me have a naughty idea of what 'Spanish Moss' really is?
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #1000
nika

well i have to say my favruite Gordan Lightfoot song is IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND and ON A WINTERS NIGHT! when i hear these songs it makes me forget about everthing!