banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
Nilda266

It's been 24 hours since the show ended on Saturday night and I'm still floating on cloud nine. It is an honor to have these wonderful memories of that beautiful night when he sang to me with the most full and rich voice I can recall since the 70's. Phoey on anyone that critisizes his voice. It's there, it was there Saturday night in all it's glory.

He came onstage to a very long standing O and immediately endeared himself to the adoring audience with that beautiful smile. He was chatty and even mentioned that he was honoring a few requests. He mentioned that it was a very "loose" crowd and that seemed to please him. I was quite far back but I could see that he was smiling a lot. You could just tell that he and the band were really having a great time. I know I was.

Here's the set list as I recall it:

1. Spanish Moss
2. Don Qixote
3. Minstrel of the Dawn
4. In My Fashion
5. Harmony
6. Never Too Close
7. Ghost of Cape Horn
8. Rainy Day People
9. Triangle
10. The Watchmans Gone
11. I Used to Be a Country Singer
12. Ribbon of Darkness
13. Sundown
14. The Wreck

Intermission

15. Pony Man
16. Beautiful
17. Shadows
18. IYCRMM
19. Let It Ride
20. Clouds of Loneliness
21. 14K Gold
22. Baby Step Back
23. CRT
24. Restless
25. Bitter Green
26. Old Dan's Records

Encore
27. Early Morning Rain
28. Cold On The Shoulder

I loved it that he gave 2 encores. Let me tell you that this was a very appreciative crowd. After the first encore they simply would not give up and when he came back for a second it was incredible.

I'm so glad I got to see him again. I wish I could attend every last one of them. I will never tire of listening to him. Never.
Nilda266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Sentimental

It's been 24 hours since the show ended on Saturday night and I'm still floating on cloud nine. It is an honor to have these wonderful memories of that beautiful night when he sang to me with the most full and rich voice I can recall since the 70's. Phoey on anyone that critisizes his voice. It's there, it was there Saturday night in all it's glory.

He came onstage to a very long standing O and immediately endeared himself to the adoring audience with that beautiful smile. He was chatty and even mentioned that he was honoring a few requests. He mentioned that it was a very "loose" crowd and that seemed to please him. I was quite far back but I could see that he was smiling a lot. You could just tell that he and the band were really having a great time. I know I was.

Here's the set list as I recall it:

1. Spanish Moss
2. Don Qixote
3. Minstrel of the Dawn
4. In My Fashion
5. Harmony
6. Never Too Close
7. Ghost of Cape Horn
8. Rainy Day People
9. Triangle
10. The Watchmans Gone
11. I Used to Be a Country Singer
12. Ribbon of Darkness
13. Sundown
14. The Wreck

Intermission

15. Pony Man
16. Beautiful
17. Shadows
18. IYCRMM
19. Let It Ride
20. Clouds of Loneliness
21. 14K Gold
22. Baby Step Back
23. CRT
24. Restless
25. Bitter Green
26. Old Dan's Records

Encore
27. Early Morning Rain
28. Cold On The Shoulder

I loved it that he gave 2 encores. Let me tell you that this was a very appreciative crowd. After the first encore they simply would not give up and when he came back for a second it was incredible.

I'm so glad I got to see him again. I wish I could attend every last one of them. I will never tire of listening to him. Never.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:01 PM   #3
silenceandsound86

Thanks. Sentimental. I've been dying ever since I had to cancel my Vegas plans and wait all the way til September, but now it's finally within range. I was thrilled to see such a long set list. I just can hardly wait!
silenceandsound86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
Rona

Thanks. Sentimental. I've been dying ever since I had to cancel my Vegas plans and wait all the way til September, but now it's finally within range. I was thrilled to see such a long set list. I just can hardly wait!
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:16 AM   #5
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Rona, which Sept. show are you going to, again? Northern California or Sparks? I'll be at Sparks...
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #6
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

I used to live in Warrenville, next to Aurora and had tickets for that venue when he fell ill and couldn't make it. The Paramount is a beautiful place with fine acoustics. bet it was magical.
Kimberly
Old 08-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
seafarer62

Hi there all. My wife Debbie and I just returned from two nights in Aurora. Beautiful renvoated theatre on a small island in the Fox River as it bisects Aurora.

The set list posted matches mine. The two encores were great. Standing ovations.

The usher said the Saturday night show was full and that the auditorium sat 1,888.

My wife always notices clothes so she took notes. In the first set, GL had on a dark brown shirt with a matching embossed vest. Dark dress slacks and sharp black boots. (We were front and center.. 2nd row.) In the second set, he had a blue Hawaiian shirt on, black jeans, and Pat Boone style white boots.

The one funny story he told was about his new record label and that he had outlived Warner Brothers. He joked all his old friends there retired and that there was no one left to turn his resignation letter into !!
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:22 PM   #8
Sentimental

I thought it was great that he came out dressed causually in the second half. But I sure couldn't see the snazzy white boots. Maybe one day I'll get seats close enough....I knew he had a vest on in the first half but it looked black from my viewpoint. Ah, but he looks great in anything he wears.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:23 AM   #9
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Those are probably the same (white) boots he's wearing on the back cover of the liner notes from Salute.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote