banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #51
The Rez

It Will Be A Jolly Meet:

Thanks from me, too, Craig for doing the reservation thing. Couldn't of done it myself. I majored in Ray Charles.

The Balboa of fame is the tip of The Balboa Penninsula (The Wedge, Prison of Socrates and other long-gone places where the music lived. Only The Wedge remains the same.)

But, take The Balboa Ferry; enjoy the short, sweet sail across the Bay; and you'll dock at Balboa Island. Lotsa houses, one main street of great shops & eateries, and a canal w/ plenty of ducks to feed.

Mimi's will never be the same after our invasion. They have some serious punkin' bread.

It'll be a privilege and blessing to meet you each and all. Now, could anybody bring a girl along for me?

The Rez

PS: Sheryl, how about "polka-dot wet suit?" Is that a better picture? Works for me.

PPS: Let's write those reviews for others - all the way to Australia, too

[ April 10, 2005, 23:10: Message edited by: The Rez ]
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:10 AM   #52
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Yes, Rez, the wet suit is definitely better!!

Thanks!!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:08 PM   #53
krazykritik

The Mimi's Reservation is made under "Corfid/Lightfoot" for 8 at 6pm.

Located at 12727 Towne Center Drive
Mimi's phone # 562-809-0510

Craig (aka WWG & HotBlooded MountainLove)
Old 04-16-2005, 04:08 PM   #54
WishingWellGhost

The Mimi's Reservation is made under "Corfid/Lightfoot" for 8 at 6pm.

Located at 12727 Towne Center Drive
Mimi's phone # 562-809-0510

Old 04-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #55
closetcanadian

Thanks again, Craig. See everyone next Saturday!

John (closetcanadian)
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:11 PM   #56
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Quote:
Originally posted by WishingWellGhost:

Oh boy! You sound interesting.
Yes, see you all there.
Kimberly
Old 04-18-2005, 12:39 AM   #57
jon

Hi All! Boy do I feel late to this party. Just discovered this board and what seem to be many kindred spirits. I've loved GL's music since I discovered it in high school (early 70's) and rediscovered my love of seeing him in concert 5 or 6 years ago. Been trying to make up for lost time since then, and the last few years haven't been easy - but sooooo excited at the miracle of seeing him on stage again. I'll be in Cerritos and the first two nights in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, made plans to travel to Vegas on Sunday and will miss the show in Agoura that's only 10 miles from me, but it's a small disappointment. Look forward to checking in here occasionally and maybe meeting some of you at the shows. Enjoy!
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:39 AM   #58
Layne

Hi All! Boy do I feel late to this party. Just discovered this board and what seem to be many kindred spirits. I've loved GL's music since I discovered it in high school (early 70's) and rediscovered my love of seeing him in concert 5 or 6 years ago. Been trying to make up for lost time since then, and the last few years haven't been easy - but sooooo excited at the miracle of seeing him on stage again. I'll be in Cerritos and the first two nights in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, made plans to travel to Vegas on Sunday and will miss the show in Agoura that's only 10 miles from me, but it's a small disappointment. Look forward to checking in here occasionally and maybe meeting some of you at the shows. Enjoy!
Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:43 AM   #59
The Rez

I will be at Cerritos; I will be hungry; I will be continued on page two . . .

Therefore Be It Resoved:

Layne,

Join us for supper, OK?

Feed Bag Furnished, courtesy of Mimi.

Charge for Vittals, also courtesy of Mimi.

The Rez

[ April 18, 2005, 01:49: Message edited by: The Rez ]
Old 04-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #60
jon

Rez -
Thanks so much for the invitation and making me feel welcome. I'm bringing my Mom with me (since I introduced her to the music and the band, she's my new "concert buddy") and we may have a schedule constraint that keeps us from getting there soon enough for dinner. And although she's pretty much up for anything, I'm not sure if she's be totally comfortable jumping into a group of strangers (no matter how impeccable their musical taste). However, if there's still a gathering under Victor Borge, I'm there! Or you could just turn around and wave. Our seats are in the front row of the first balcony and I've been told I bear a faint resemblance to Glinda the Good Witch of the North. I've been trying take a crash course in figuring out who's who here. The strings on where people live and what their sign in names are have helped. I'll post on those strings too in a bit to introduce myself. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #61
Layne

Rez -
Thanks so much for the invitation and making me feel welcome. I'm bringing my Mom with me (since I introduced her to the music and the band, she's my new "concert buddy") and we may have a schedule constraint that keeps us from getting there soon enough for dinner. And although she's pretty much up for anything, I'm not sure if she's be totally comfortable jumping into a group of strangers (no matter how impeccable their musical taste). However, if there's still a gathering under Victor Borge, I'm there! Or you could just turn around and wave. Our seats are in the front row of the first balcony and I've been told I bear a faint resemblance to Glinda the Good Witch of the North. I've been trying take a crash course in figuring out who's who here. The strings on where people live and what their sign in names are have helped. I'll post on those strings too in a bit to introduce myself. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #62
The Rez

Layne,

Under Victor Borge! Yes! Great!

I've taken my mom to see Gord in earlier years. She, too, has been my "concert buddy." She loved Gord - John Stewart, too, and . . .

She's physically not able to go anymore, but she's glad I'll be able, since it's close to Balboa. Agoura was a bit too far for her comfort.

As a child, I resembled Howdy Doody (really!)

Now, I resemble Buffalo Bob.

See you and your mom under Victor Borge.

Blessings,

The Rez
Old 04-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #63
Janice

welcome Layne!! So glad you found our little "water cooler" in cyberspace and hope you visit often. Looking forward to hearing more about where you are, how you came to be a Lightfoot fan, etc.

Sorry you probably won't be able to meet us at Mimi's, but maybe after meeting folks under the Victor Borge sign, the "strangers" aspect will be removed and Mom will feel more comfortable coming to dinner next time if schedule permits.

Over the years, I have met many of these folks at concerts, or just planned gatherings not surrounding concerts, and haven't come accross anyone who bites, yet - so tell mom she doesn't need to worry I'm looking forward to meeting John, Linda, Craig, Sharon and Rex - and it will be great to see Kim again. I'm just sorry that I'm not attending the concert and won't be able to say hi to you and your mom. But I have no doubts that the others will welcome you to the fold and put any uneasiness to rest.

Janice
Old 04-18-2005, 05:29 PM   #64
jon

Janice -
Thanx - I feel welcome already. It's really more the timing than the comfort level that keeps us from joining this time. I'm so jealous you get to go to Toronto. I go there on business sometimes and love it, but have never been able to make it coincide with a concert. Massey Hall is still but a dream. And Rez, my son looked just like Opie Taylor when he was little and we made him dress up like Howdy Doody for a show once....... but I think he's forgiven us. Thanks again and hope to see you all soon.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:29 PM   #65
Layne

Janice -
Thanx - I feel welcome already. It's really more the timing than the comfort level that keeps us from joining this time. I'm so jealous you get to go to Toronto. I go there on business sometimes and love it, but have never been able to make it coincide with a concert. Massey Hall is still but a dream. And Rez, my son looked just like Opie Taylor when he was little and we made him dress up like Howdy Doody for a show once....... but I think he's forgiven us. Thanks again and hope to see you all soon.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #66
The Rez

Howdy Doody - The Passion of My Youth.

Opie was very cool, too. Shame about big Opie's hair - but still very cool.

The Rez
Old 04-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #67
closetcanadian

Quote:
Originally posted by The Rez:
Howdy Doody - The Passion of My Youth.

Opie was very cool, too. Shame about big Opie's hair - but still very cool.

The Rez
I wouldn't feel too sorry for Ron Howard. He's done fairly well in "the biz." He could certainly afford hair transplants if he wanted and I think it's cool he doesn't feel they are necessary. But maybe I feel that way because I too am "follically challenged?"
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:59 PM   #68
Sheryl

Welcome, Layne -- you're among friends! Hey, you're in L.A. then -- or the Valley? I'm in North Hollywood! Can't you make Agoura Hills?? Let me know!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #69
jon

Sheryl -
Hi and thanks! I'm in Northridge - yup, a Valley Girl, too (and blonde to boot). And speaking of blonde, I'll try not to make this long, but when I started making concert plans, the only shows showing were Cerritos and Vegas, so I decided this would be a good time to use the time share in Vegas that I've never been to. I only realized this week that they would be in Agoura, too, but I'll be on my way to Vegas to check in Sunday (going to the Thursday & Friday shows). So I'm traveling all over to see them, but missing the one that's 10 miles away. Oh well, I'm disappointed, but not too. I saw them in Agoura the last two years they were touring and it's a great venue for them. Hope to meet you soon!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #70
Layne

Sheryl -
Hi and thanks! I'm in Northridge - yup, a Valley Girl, too (and blonde to boot). And speaking of blonde, I'll try not to make this long, but when I started making concert plans, the only shows showing were Cerritos and Vegas, so I decided this would be a good time to use the time share in Vegas that I've never been to. I only realized this week that they would be in Agoura, too, but I'll be on my way to Vegas to check in Sunday (going to the Thursday & Friday shows). So I'm traveling all over to see them, but missing the one that's 10 miles away. Oh well, I'm disappointed, but not too. I saw them in Agoura the last two years they were touring and it's a great venue for them. Hope to meet you soon!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #71
Sheryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Layne:
... my son looked just like Opie Taylor when he was little .......
Layne, guess what? I went on a field trip with my pre-schooler's class last month, I think it was Franklin Canyon. That's at the top of Coldwater Canyon where it meets Mulholland Drive. You take the street down, down, down, the mountain and pretty soon you come to a wooded area with a lake -- it's just surreal having this in the middle of Los Angeles! I went there twice before with my two daughter's classes when they were this age (5), and although I grew up here, I never knew it existed! Anyway, so the ranger is taking us around, pointing out the flora and fauna, when she points to a large dirt path heading off in the distance between some trees, and says, "Do you remember the opening to Mayberry R.F.D.? Well, that's the path they were on and the lake Opie threw stones in? It's this one, here!" WOW!!! How cool was that?? By the way, Richard, I'll put this in for your edification: Studio City is just on the north side of the Hollywood Hills which is part of the Santa Monica Mountain chain... and the fauna we have are just about everything that crawls, walks, and slithers! All that, and orange trees, too!! LOL!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 02:12 AM   #72
The Rez

CC:

Totally agree - fine director. Ron Howard can also afford all those cool baseball caps.

Now, Clint . . .

Speaking of Northridge:

Many moons of Chrissstmasssesss past, I took a job for a month running the Santa Foto thing at the Northridge Mall. Every now and again the college kids would flake out and I'd get in the Santa Suit.

Mom's can be very ugly at Chrissstmasssesss. They agree that Santa needs a bathroom break - "Right after my child - or you'll never live to see the men's room!"

Another lovely mother brought her one week old baby in for a foto w/ Santa. Fortunatly, I was Santa. Having raised 3 boys to manhood, I remembered well how to hold an infant.

The college kid would have dropped the child headfirst once she got lost in the beard. Why would a mother bring a one week old baby into a shopping mall, anyway?

Never been so happy to see Dec 24th pass. Santa had lots of ground to fly that Chrissstmasssesss-Eve night, so no Northridge Mall on the 25th.

Opie & Andy's Pond:

Yes, I have paid homage also. Did you whistle the tune out loud? I did - even skipped a stone. Right before Ranger Rick whacked me w/ his Smokey Bear hat . . . and informed me I would no longer be welcome on the Snipe Hunt.

Good night Ron-boy; Clint-boy. See the rest of you Saturday night.

My Lord, what a Mornin' that will be.

The Rez
Old 04-19-2005, 07:00 AM   #73
Janice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Layne:
So I'm traveling all over to see them, but missing the one that's 10 miles away. /QUOTE]

I know exactly how you feel, Layne. He's not only playing in Cerritos - about 90 minutes, give or take, from me - but he is also playing in the next town over from me on Friday. I can't attend either of those concerts, but I'm traveling thousands of miles to see him in Toronto.

It's strange how things work out

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #74
byKimberly

Sheryl!

Do you have any idea if dogs are alowed at this place?
Might be a nice sideline trip, while I'm in LA (Woodland Hills) Sat. and Sun. for Cerritos. Always loved the Andy Griffith Show!
Kimberly

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl:
quote:Originally posted by Layne:
... my son looked just like Opie Taylor when he was little .......
Layne, guess what? I went on a field trip with my pre-schooler's class last month, I think it was Franklin Canyon. That's at the top of Coldwater Canyon where it meets Mulholland Drive. You take the street down, down, down, the mountain and pretty soon you come to a wooded area with a lake -- it's just surreal having this in the middle of Los Angeles! I went there twice before with my two daughter's classes when they were this age (5), and although I grew up here, I never knew it existed! Anyway, so the ranger is taking us around, pointing out the flora and fauna, when she points to a large dirt path heading off in the distance between some trees, and says, "Do you remember the opening to Mayberry R.F.D.? Well, that's the path they were on and the lake Opie threw stones in? It's this one, here!" WOW!!! How cool was that?? By the way, Richard, I'll put this in for your edification: Studio City is just on the north side of the Hollywood Hills which is part of the Santa Monica Mountain chain... and the fauna we have are just about everything that crawls, walks, and slithers! All that, and orange trees, too!! LOL!!! [/QUOTE]
Old 04-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #75
byKimberly

I just found this like for Franklin Canyon:
http://www.lathingstodo.com/franklin.htm