banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-04-2003, 01:02 PM   #26
Cubfan64

Martin,

I play DQ in B (capo 2, with A-chord fingering), and CRT in F (capo 3 with D-chord fingering, drop-D tuning on 6th string).

And I certainly don't play "lead guitar" per se, just the acoustic "lead" melody lines you find in some of Gord's songs. DQ's is very prominent; IYCRMM (which I play in the key of A, capo 2, G-chord fingering) has a nice one using sixths as well.

Drop-D tuning is almost a must for my solo guitar playing. When I don't have a bass player, it fills in a lot of those bass pedal tones.

Great to hear from you. What other GL songs do you do?

Dan ("The Intended")
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:02 PM   #27
The Intended

Martin,

I play DQ in B (capo 2, with A-chord fingering), and CRT in F (capo 3 with D-chord fingering, drop-D tuning on 6th string).

And I certainly don't play "lead guitar" per se, just the acoustic "lead" melody lines you find in some of Gord's songs. DQ's is very prominent; IYCRMM (which I play in the key of A, capo 2, G-chord fingering) has a nice one using sixths as well.

Drop-D tuning is almost a must for my solo guitar playing. When I don't have a bass player, it fills in a lot of those bass pedal tones.

Great to hear from you. What other GL songs do you do?

Dan ("The Intended")
The Intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:36 AM   #28
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Martin/12 - Re your question to Cathy, I think you can find her answer on another thread here: www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001589.html
(her message is the 3rd one down). The ending is the same as the intro, and the riff between the verses. There are two recordings of SFAWN on Cathy's site, one solo and one with the Lightfoot Tribute Band. If you listen to the solo SFAWN, you will hear it with just Cathy playing. It sounds like multiple guitars, but it's just Cathy. On the LTB recording, Derek Kidd is playing as well.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL web site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:19 PM   #29
Selene

Dan,

Here are some of the other GL songs I am doing now:

Beautiful
Ghosts of Cape Horn
Steel Rail Blues
A Tree too Weak to Stand
Saturday Clothes
Sit Down Young Stranger
The House You Live In
If You Need Me

Val,
Thanks for the link. (Ask and you'll receive). I will have to give that a try.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:19 PM   #30
Martin/12

Dan,

Beautiful
Ghosts of Cape Horn
Steel Rail Blues
A Tree too Weak to Stand
Saturday Clothes
Sit Down Young Stranger
The House You Live In
If You Need Me

Val,
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:21 PM   #31
Selene

a couple others I forgot...

Wherefore & Why
Early Morning Rain
Old 08-05-2003, 12:21 PM   #32
Martin/12

a couple others I forgot...

Wherefore & Why
Early Morning Rain
Old 08-05-2003, 09:49 PM   #33
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by The Intended:
Thanks so much, Cathy and Valerie. I'm honored to be able to "meet" and chat with both of you - Cathy, I've been to your site and listened to your beautiful covers of GL songs. And Valerie, of course, for all your hard work with www.gordonlightfoot.com (I am a devout fan of your site).

Cathy - I particularly enjoyed your cover (with Derek) of DQ - playing it capo #4 to do the famous DQ "lead". I play the song (including the lead) in capo #2, which requires a bit more hand-stretching but actually sounds OK. With two guitars it would be fantastic, but it's usually just me. On occasion I have had the privilege of having multi-instrumentalist David Mosher joining me on violin for that song, and it takes on a whole new feel.

Again I must apologize, though, because I don't have a mechanism for recording my covers or sharing them online at this time. I did have one lousy recording of me doing "I'm Not Sayin'" and "Did She Mention My Name" at a local pub, but it didn't turn out well enough to share anyway. As soon as I have some GL covers recorded properly, I will be sure to get them out here. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Dan

Hi Dan,
First of all, you might enjoy attending out guitar chat on Tuesday evenings in our Paltalk room. If you want details, let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.

I'm very impressed that you figured out how I was playing the lead to DQ. Most people do it ala Terry Clements, in the A progression. I tried it for years and just couldn't make it sound right, so I relearned it on the 4th fret in G. Derek does the basic fingerpicking in open C, making the interplay between the two guitars quite interesting. It's really one of my favorite songs to play. We have several songs that we call 'ours' (although Lightfoot may not agree that they are truly ours). Other favorites are If You Could Read My Mind, Wreck, CRT, and my favorite, Song For A Winter's Night. Derek is from California and I'm from Northern Maine, so we don't get together all that often. We really haven't played together very many times. But every time we do, it's magic, and we always make sure to play our favorite Lightfoot songs.

You should invest in some recording software. I use Cool Edit 2000. It's inexpensive and does the trick. Often, (when I get too lazy to hook everything up) I just record with a standard computer mic. It would be enough to get you started.

Cathy

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:54 PM   #34
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Martin/12:
Dan,

Beautiful
Ghosts of Cape Horn
Steel Rail Blues
A Tree too Weak to Stand
Saturday Clothes
Sit Down Young Stranger
The House You Live In
If You Need Me

Val,

I see Val already answered your question.
Where are you from, Martin/12?

Cathy
Old 08-06-2003, 08:42 AM   #35
Selene

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:

Cathy

Cathy,

First of all, thanks for the splendid notes on SFWN. They were very helpful--even for a one-arm guitar player like myself. Do you have notes for DQ? BTW, by chance, do you work on Mac computers?

I am in the Columbus, Ohio area. Let me know if you're driving through sometime.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:42 AM   #36
Martin/12

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:

Cathy

Cathy,

First of all, thanks for the splendid notes on SFWN. They were very helpful--even for a one-arm guitar player like myself. Do you have notes for DQ? BTW, by chance, do you work on Mac computers?

I am in the Columbus, Ohio area. Let me know if you're driving through sometime.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:38 PM   #37
Cubfan64

Cathy,

Thanks for the recommendations. And yes, I would like to check out the Tuesday evening guitar chat. If you can E-mail the details to me at technicaldr@yahoo.com I'd appreciate it.

Dan
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:38 PM   #38
The Intended

Cathy,

Thanks for the recommendations. And yes, I would like to check out the Tuesday evening guitar chat. If you can E-mail the details to me at technicaldr@yahoo.com I'd appreciate it.

Dan
The Intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 06:55 AM   #39
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Martin/12:

Cathy,

I have never written up notes or tablature for DQ. Many people have asked, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm probably avoiding it because of how complicated it is. I will do it one of these days, though.

No, I don't work on a Mac.

Cathy

Old 08-22-2003, 06:52 PM   #40
DMD3

Originally posted by Borderstone

It seems longer but I've only been on here 5 months.

Come the 30th and it will have bin 4 months for me. Seems like only this mornin when I registered.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:52 PM   #41
DMD3

Come the 30th and it will have bin 4 months for me. Seems like only this mornin when I registered.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:09 PM   #42
Borderstone

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:

...and on Tuesday it'll be 6 months for me!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote