banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #1
Cubfan64

Hi all,

New to the board today. My name is Dan, and I'm a folk-rock guitarist living near Ann Arbor, Michigan. GL is my primary interest, and I enjoy performing a wide range of Lightfoot tunes on stage when I have the opportunity. I no longer have my weekly gigs, but often sit in with some other musician friends who also appreciate GL. I'm hoping to chat with anyone else who plays and/or sings his material, and would eventually love to perform with one or more individuals with a strong Lightfoot interest.

I most frequently perform songs like Home from the Forest, Go-Go Round and Don Quixote. I'll do Canadian Railroad Trilogy or Seven Island Suite when there's time (which there often isn't). CRT was the first song I ever did in front of an audience. Of the GL songs I do, people have most frequently requested If You Could Read My Mind, which I also play almost every week in the little pub in town. (They also request Sundown a lot, which I don't do because a single acoustic guitar can't easily do it justice.)

There are a number of other GL songs I play, but most of them aren't as popular because few people know the more obscure ones - Spin, Spin and Movin' are among my favorites.

I learn more about music every time I play, and every time I have the privilege of playing a GL tune with another musician. Lots to learn! Glad to have found this site.

Take care all!
Dan
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
The Intended

Hi all,

New to the board today. My name is Dan, and I'm a folk-rock guitarist living near Ann Arbor, Michigan. GL is my primary interest, and I enjoy performing a wide range of Lightfoot tunes on stage when I have the opportunity. I no longer have my weekly gigs, but often sit in with some other musician friends who also appreciate GL. I'm hoping to chat with anyone else who plays and/or sings his material, and would eventually love to perform with one or more individuals with a strong Lightfoot interest.

I most frequently perform songs like Home from the Forest, Go-Go Round and Don Quixote. I'll do Canadian Railroad Trilogy or Seven Island Suite when there's time (which there often isn't). CRT was the first song I ever did in front of an audience. Of the GL songs I do, people have most frequently requested If You Could Read My Mind, which I also play almost every week in the little pub in town. (They also request Sundown a lot, which I don't do because a single acoustic guitar can't easily do it justice.)

There are a number of other GL songs I play, but most of them aren't as popular because few people know the more obscure ones - Spin, Spin and Movin' are among my favorites.

I learn more about music every time I play, and every time I have the privilege of playing a GL tune with another musician. Lots to learn! Glad to have found this site.

Take care all!
Dan
The Intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:22 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

Welcome, Dan! You've come to the right spot. There are lots of folks here who play GL, and even more who simply listen and enjoy. Glad to have you aboard.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:22 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

Welcome, Dan! You've come to the right spot. There are lots of folks here who play GL, and even more who simply listen and enjoy. Glad to have you aboard.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
Borderstone

Welcome to Gordon Lightfoot Central Dan "The Intended"! As Annie said,this is the place if you like to fill up space,with messages of Lightfoot that you'd like to take root! As you may have already read,I'm Borderstone or The B! I know you're going to like it here but just remember,no bad mouthin' Gord or you'll be forced to listen to a M. Manson CD! Of course I can already see that you're an "avid listener" like I am. How long have you been into GL? I've been a serious A.L. for a few days shy of a year now,even though I've heard his hits for 29 years. It seems longer but I've only been on here 5 months. I've had fun here and hope you do to. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:51 PM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Hi Dan,

Love your board name. Welcome, kick off your shoes and set a spell.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #7
Tyler

Great to meet you Dan, and welcome. You will love it here!! We are all die hard fans and even though we are going through Gord withdrawl right now we keep it together here. As Bill said "Set a spell!"
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
brink

Great to meet you Dan, and welcome. You will love it here!! We are all die hard fans and even though we are going through Gord withdrawl right now we keep it together here. As Bill said "Set a spell!"
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:42 AM   #9
SilverHeels

Welcome Dan!

there is so much talent within the Lightfoot internet community, you are going to feel right at home.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:56 AM   #10
SomewhereupinMichigan

Dan: Hi and welcome! It is always nice to have one more Gord-aholic on board from Michigan!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:57 AM   #11
Steve DeRosa

Hi Dan!
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:57 AM   #12
Oma

Hi Dan!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:20 PM   #13
Cubfan64

Thanks all! Guess I did find the right place...

I've been an A.L. (avid listener, Borderstone!) for about five years. I saw Gord in concert in 1999 and that really brought my interest around.

Right now I am trying to learn all the lyrics, in the correct order, to Yarmouth Castle. It's been tougher than either CRT or Wreck were for me to learn (lyrically) the first time around. But in the end I can add one more Gord song to my repertoire! I performed BossMan for the first time about a month ago, and it actually went over great. What fun that was.

Looking forward to talking with you all some more. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Dan
Old 07-31-2003, 02:20 PM   #14
The Intended

Thanks all! Guess I did find the right place...

I've been an A.L. (avid listener, Borderstone!) for about five years. I saw Gord in concert in 1999 and that really brought my interest around.

Right now I am trying to learn all the lyrics, in the correct order, to Yarmouth Castle. It's been tougher than either CRT or Wreck were for me to learn (lyrically) the first time around. But in the end I can add one more Gord song to my repertoire! I performed BossMan for the first time about a month ago, and it actually went over great. What fun that was.

Looking forward to talking with you all some more. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Dan
Old 07-31-2003, 09:42 PM   #15
fowlesjohn

Dan, Post some of your music somewhere with an URL here for us to check you out.
Welcome aboard
Gwen
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:42 PM   #16
gwen snyder

Dan, Post some of your music somewhere with an URL here for us to check you out.
Welcome aboard
Gwen
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 08:16 AM   #17
SomewhereupinMichigan

Dan, tell us where you play and when...the location of the pub...and I'll slip your way sometime and check you out! I'm located between Flint and Lansing at times, and in northern MI at other times; hence my username.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:05 PM   #18
Cubfan64

That would be great... However, as I mentioned, I haven't had a weekly gig for awhile now. Hope to be back in the fall. What I've been doing in the meantime is sitting in with some good friends at the South Lyon Hotel in South Lyon (when they're in the mood to hear Gord)... I'm usually there every Tuesday evening, and if I play at all, it's just a couple of tunes sometime between 9:30 and 11 pm. But if you come, be sure to let us know, and I'll bet we can hit several Gord songs. We often do BossMan, Home from the Forest, IYCRMM and Don Quixote.

Hope to see you sometime. I'll post when I'm back on a regular schedule.

Dan
Old 08-01-2003, 07:05 PM   #19
The Intended

That would be great... However, as I mentioned, I haven't had a weekly gig for awhile now. Hope to be back in the fall. What I've been doing in the meantime is sitting in with some good friends at the South Lyon Hotel in South Lyon (when they're in the mood to hear Gord)... I'm usually there every Tuesday evening, and if I play at all, it's just a couple of tunes sometime between 9:30 and 11 pm. But if you come, be sure to let us know, and I'll bet we can hit several Gord songs. We often do BossMan, Home from the Forest, IYCRMM and Don Quixote.

Hope to see you sometime. I'll post when I'm back on a regular schedule.

Dan
Old 08-03-2003, 07:03 PM   #20
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Hi Dan,
Welcome aboard. I'm also one of those guitarists who can't quite get enough of Lightfoot. Do you have a website where we cab listen to some of your covers? I'd be interested in hearing them.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:04 PM   #21
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Hi Dan,

Cathy was too modest to tell you to listen to the songs at her web site, so I will tell you. Go to the music page and try some of the GL covers there. Most have Cathy singing lead, but there are a couple with another "Lighthead" (Derek Kidd) singing some of the big ones (IYCRMM and DQ). And you'll find Cathy's version of Home From The Forest too, with Derek, Ed Mullen and Matt Carl playing on that one. Ed and Matt, as well as Derek, are three more of the talented GL fans whose recordings you will want to hear. If you have recordings to share, there are lots of us who would enjoy hearing them.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL web site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #22
Cubfan64

Thanks so much, Cathy and Valerie. I'm honored to be able to "meet" and chat with both of you - Cathy, I've been to your site and listened to your beautiful covers of GL songs. And Valerie, of course, for all your hard work with www.gordonlightfoot.com (I am a devout fan of your site).

Cathy - I particularly enjoyed your cover (with Derek) of DQ - playing it capo #4 to do the famous DQ "lead". I play the song (including the lead) in capo #2, which requires a bit more hand-stretching but actually sounds OK. With two guitars it would be fantastic, but it's usually just me. On occasion I have had the privilege of having multi-instrumentalist David Mosher joining me on violin for that song, and it takes on a whole new feel.

Again I must apologize, though, because I don't have a mechanism for recording my covers or sharing them online at this time. I did have one lousy recording of me doing "I'm Not Sayin'" and "Did She Mention My Name" at a local pub, but it didn't turn out well enough to share anyway. As soon as I have some GL covers recorded properly, I will be sure to get them out here. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Dan
Old 08-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #23
The Intended

Thanks so much, Cathy and Valerie. I'm honored to be able to "meet" and chat with both of you - Cathy, I've been to your site and listened to your beautiful covers of GL songs. And Valerie, of course, for all your hard work with www.gordonlightfoot.com (I am a devout fan of your site).

Cathy - I particularly enjoyed your cover (with Derek) of DQ - playing it capo #4 to do the famous DQ "lead". I play the song (including the lead) in capo #2, which requires a bit more hand-stretching but actually sounds OK. With two guitars it would be fantastic, but it's usually just me. On occasion I have had the privilege of having multi-instrumentalist David Mosher joining me on violin for that song, and it takes on a whole new feel.

Again I must apologize, though, because I don't have a mechanism for recording my covers or sharing them online at this time. I did have one lousy recording of me doing "I'm Not Sayin'" and "Did She Mention My Name" at a local pub, but it didn't turn out well enough to share anyway. As soon as I have some GL covers recorded properly, I will be sure to get them out here. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Dan
Old 08-04-2003, 12:45 PM   #24
Selene

Question for Cathy...

Can you tell me what chords you played at the end of SFWN? It begins right at the end of the last line when the "ooh's" are starting. I play this using the chords in the GG book, but what you're playing has more authentic chords. ALso, can you tell me how many guitars we are hearing. They sound great.

Intended... I play CRT in D and DQ in C (CFG). What keys are you in? I wish I knew someone in my area that could play lead guitar. I just began playing at a local coffee house near Columbus OH. A bass player would be nice to. I understand about learning all the words, that is the biggest challenge to performing. So much practice time goes into it. I even forget the words to my own songs occasionally.

Thanks for bringing up the topic.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:45 PM   #25
Martin/12

Question for Cathy...

Can you tell me what chords you played at the end of SFWN? It begins right at the end of the last line when the "ooh's" are starting. I play this using the chords in the GG book, but what you're playing has more authentic chords. ALso, can you tell me how many guitars we are hearing. They sound great.

Intended... I play CRT in D and DQ in C (CFG). What keys are you in? I wish I knew someone in my area that could play lead guitar. I just began playing at a local coffee house near Columbus OH. A bass player would be nice to. I understand about learning all the words, that is the biggest challenge to performing. So much practice time goes into it. I even forget the words to my own songs occasionally.

Thanks for bringing up the topic.
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote