banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-15-2001, 10:17 PM   #1
lily

Is it just me who finds "Pride of Man" a little chilling this week in light of recent events? I admit I don't understand all of the references in the song, but some phrases are kind of eerie this week. I listen to this song on the "United Artist's Collection" CD. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it in a while.
Old 09-16-2001, 07:02 PM   #2
joveski

I felt similar when I listened to black day in july, even though it's september, and I'm not even in America
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 09:30 PM   #3
catmanron

Goodness Lily !!!

That is chilling.....

Of Course "Pride of Man", which I think is a great song, was written by English Singer / Songwriter / Actor.. Hamilton Camp.

"Pride Of Man (Lightfoot!) 2:43

Turn around go back down go back the way you came
Can't you see the flash of fire ten times brighter than the day
And behold the mighty city broken in the dust again
Oh God the pride of man broken in the dust again
Babylon is laid to waste Egypt's buried in her shame
Their mighty men are beaten down the kings are fallen in the ways

Terror is on everyside though the leaders are dismayed
Those who put their faith in fire in fire their faith shall be repaid

Shout a warning to the nations that the sword of god is raised
On Babylon that mighty city rich in treasure wide in fame
It shall cause thy towers to fall and make it be a pyre of flame

Thou that dwell on many water rich in treasure wide in fame
Bow unto a god of gold thy pride of might shall be thy shame

And only God can lead the people back into the faith again
Thy holy mountain be restored thy mercy on thy people Lord "

Ron. ( still not smiling !! )

catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:03 PM   #4
Borderstone

When they said Actor Hamilton Camp that wrote "Pride Of Man",do they mean a somewhat short curly haired guy,who tends to look a little mean? I'm thinking of the guy I saw on MASH that played the person that gave the 4077th it's movies. That guy? I think I also saw him on SOAP and other lower case titled-sitcoms. I can't believe he wrote that. Interesting though. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone - "Little 'Ol Message Maker Me!"
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:44 PM   #5
Auburn Annie

Hamilton Camp has been around close to forever, starting as a folkie in the late 1950s or very early 60s. See link below for more information:
http://www.jacana.org.uk/djc/djcrev09.htm

My favorite TV role of his was a shortlived series, HE AND SHE, starring Dick Benjamin and Paula Prentiss (I believe he was listed in the credits as Hamid Hamilton Camp but maybe I'm imagining that.) They were a young couple living next door to a fire station. Camp was the landlord or super - for a description of the show, see
http://www.tvparty.com/recheshe.html

It was ahead of its time, ran only one season, and I would love to see it turn up again on TV Land.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:51 PM   #6
miketouhy

some have wondered about people covering his songs, i don't know how many know this but POM was covered in 1968 by a San Fransisco group known as Quick Silver Messanger Service. i don't they had any major hit singles and rarely get airplay. it's been a while since i've heard it but it's great song. never heard Lightfoot's version.

[This message has been edited by miketouhy (edited June 26, 2004).]
Old 06-26-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Interesting that someone posted in this thread again. This time I can say: if you want to know more about Hamilton Camp, visit his (relatively new) Official Web Site at hamiltoncamp.com . In fact, it was the Pride Of Man connection that originally led to my meeting him.

And yes, he is both an actor (since 1946!) and a singer/songwriter (since about 1960). His music career started when he joined up with Bob Gibson and together, as Gibson & Camp, they made a major contribution to the evolution of folk music. Their live recording "Gibson & Camp At The Gate Of Horn" was one of the most influential folk recordings of its time (released in 1961). He and Gibson did not stay together long, but they reunited many times over the decades and recorded two other albums together including a 25th anniversary repeat of the original "Gate" album ("... Revisited").

Pride Of Man was actually a hit single for Quicksilver Messenger Service, but Lightfoot's version was the first one I heard, and his is faithful to Hamilton's original in terms of feeling and musical style. Hamilton's recording of Pride Of Man is on Paths Of Victory, an album that also includes seven (!) Dylan covers and Hamilton's recording of Get Together - not the "popular version" but one that is often included on folk compilations. Hamilton had a minor hit single himself with a song called Here's To You. He released his most recent solo album, "Mardi's Bard", in 1999 and is currently working on another, with his son Ray.

As an actor, he is been in film, on stage (including Broadway), on TV, and even a voice artist for some of the most well-known animated films and computer games. He also coaches theater games. He is really a remarkable man and I have had a wonderful time working with him. I hope you visit his web site; the four albums that are available on CD can be purchased from his site.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at mageenet.biz, Hamilton Camp's web site at hamiltoncamp.com and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com

[This message has been edited by vlmagee (edited July 07, 2004).]
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:06 PM   #8
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by miketouhy:
some have wondered about people covering his songs, i don't know how many know this but POM was covered in 1968 by a San Fransisco group known as Quick Silver Messanger Service. i don't they had any major hit songles and rarely get airplay. it's been a while since i've heard it but it's great song. never heard Lightfoot's version. i was also going to include this but ran out of time. the album that Barbra Striesand put out witch is included the hit stony end also included a version of If you could remind my love. wotch is kind of interesting because that album by her was also released in 1971 and though Lightfoot's album under the same name was released in 70 it says here the single was released early in 71. Striesand's version probably wasn't as popular. think i even heard one Sarah Mcglaughlin recorded a Lightfoot song though i'm not as sure about that 1.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
wris42@alltel.net

Hamilton also wrote "About Time" and Bob Gibson recorded it. I have never heard anyone else cover it. One of the best songs I've ever heard. Lightfoot should do it. His kind of tune and he LOVED Bob Gibson's take on things.

Terry
Old 10-12-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

quote:Originally posted by wris42@alltel.net:
Hamilton also wrote "About Time" and Bob Gibson recorded it. I have never heard anyone else cover it. One of the best songs I've ever heard. Lightfoot should do it. His kind of tune and he LOVED Bob Gibson's take on things.

Terry

Your mention of a song written by Hamilton Camp got me searching. I think it's the song he recorded on Skymonters (released in '73), listed as Time. I have a CDR of it (somewhere), but I can hear it in my head and I do think the phrase "about time" was all over it. I presume you have the LP Bob Gibson (which also contains a cover of GL's For Lovin' Me); do you? I'd love to hear Gibson's take on Camp's song.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at mageenet.biz, Hamilton Camp's Offical Web Site at hamiltoncamp.com , and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com. Also visit Dr. Jack's Lightfoot page.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote