banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
Polopolop

Hello Lightfoot Lovers! "5 Artists" is/are having an Art Exhibit in Toronto at the University of Toronto Faculty Club Pub entitled "If You Could Read My Mind - An Ode to Gordon Lightfoot" from October 3/06 to November 13/06, with an opening reception (open to the public)Wednesday October 4/06, 6:30 to 9:30pm, at
41 Willcocks St., Toronto,416 978-6325. Free snacks and cash bar. We five artists have interpreted our love of Gordon's music, lyrics and life visually in about 20ish original paintings, pastels, etc. and we would very much appreciate you dropping by to check out the show. We are members of http://www.yorkartistsguild.ca/index.html
Old 09-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Victoria

Hello Lightfoot Lovers! "5 Artists" is/are having an Art Exhibit in Toronto at the University of Toronto Faculty Club Pub entitled "If You Could Read My Mind - An Ode to Gordon Lightfoot" from October 3/06 to November 13/06, with an opening reception (open to the public)Wednesday October 4/06, 6:30 to 9:30pm, at
41 Willcocks St., Toronto,416 978-6325. Free snacks and cash bar. We five artists have interpreted our love of Gordon's music, lyrics and life visually in about 20ish original paintings, pastels, etc. and we would very much appreciate you dropping by to check out the show. We are members of http://www.yorkartistsguild.ca/index.html
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
brink-

it would be wonderful if it was going to be going on while he was at Massey so all of us could go see it.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
Polopolop

ty for your interest. You make an excellent point. I'll see if I can arrange to have a local(to Massey) venue exhibit our show during his 3 day stint in TO, mid November. Watch for a posting here if I can make it happen.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Victoria

ty for your interest. You make an excellent point. I'll see if I can arrange to have a local(to Massey) venue exhibit our show during his 3 day stint in TO, mid November. Watch for a posting here if I can make it happen.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria:
Victoria many thanks for the headsup on your plans,personally I would consider it essential to let the droves of Lightheads who will be congregating in Toronto for the four not three concerts (November 16th to 19th now) have a timely opportunity to see your exhibition.
You did not actually say that you would be offerring anything for sale but no doubt a few of the less poor members would be keen to fork out on some Lightfoot orientated artwork either then (or even later on comission).
Just a suggestion a number of us will be ensconsed for that period in the Delta Chelsea
a nice walk from Massey. I do not know what the current state of play is but I believe our
honorary and active convention organiser Janice was hoping to arrange with the hotel people for some sort of group meeting room and I suspect that "about 20ish original paintings, pastels, etc." could be accomodated giving you a "captive" and no doubt appreciative audience.I will leave it to you two ladies to comment furrher and if applicable exchange Private or even public messages on this forum.
Noting that some sharing of any costs in obtaining a suitable room in the hotel a room
could be a boon and avoid you spending money on
"a local(to Massey) venue"
Just my twopence worth

John Fowles

[ September 22, 2006, 10:35: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
brink-

Well, I was going to put a link up to a poster that was created to advertise this. But, alas I am not the computer whiz I thought I could be. So I am sending it to John and he possibly could post it.

this was included regarding the artist:
Original pastel by artist Nancy Anderson. It depicts an image of her interpretation of the
lyrics to "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" and her first time hearing the song on a train in the Canadian west, on her way to perform( she is also a musician and she LOVES Lightfoot).

John, help please! I sent it to your hotmail account.

[ September 21, 2006, 15:12: Message edited by: brink- ]
Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
charlene

Quote:
Well I for one will be down prior to Massey for sure!
looking forward to it!!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
But, alas I am not the computer whiz I thought I could be. So I am sending it to John and he possibly could post it.
John, help please! I sent it to your hotmail account.
An Interesting and instructive task Deb that you put me up to
providing yet more tutorial raw material
You sent me a fairly large Word document of some 1561 Kb i.e larger than 1 megabyte
whilst dispaying as a picture such a complete document is not possible there are two main alterrnatives.
1. upload the doc to a free website somewhere for example one at http://www.ripway.com
being a splendid provider of generous sites which alow hotlinking
2 download a pretty easy to use even for those not computer wiz's "screen capture" program
I thoroughly recommend a free programme called screenhunter from:-
http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter.htm
then make a compressed jpeg of the area that is relevant as below.
which I then uploaded to the free picture hosting site
http://www.imageshack.us

a compresed jpg file only 49.5KB a tad smaller than 1561KB
Old 09-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Polopolop

Quote:
Old 09-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #11
charlene

Victoria has graciously run out into her yard this morning and shot this photo of the poster. It is by Nancy Anderson who 'has a real passion for Lightfoot'.
The poster states that the show ends October 31 but it is now ending on November 13, 2006.
After checking the website and looking at the art work of many of the artists I am really looking forward to this show and their "Ode to Gordon Lightfoot"

Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #12
Gitchigumee

Oh how I wish I could be there for the exhibit. Alas, I live too far away. Keep us posted if there's pieces we can view on line (like the wonderful poster drawing), or if there will be prints, etc., for sale OK? THANKS!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #13
Victoria

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
Victoria has graciously run out into her yard this morning and shot this photo of the poster. It is by Nancy Anderson who 'has a real passion for Lightfoot'.
The poster states that the show ends October 31 but it is now ending on November 13, 2006.
After checking the website and looking at the art work of many of the artists I am really looking forward to this show and their "Ode to Gordon Lightfoot"

Old 09-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #14
Victoria

Hi all! Good news! I have had our show extended to Tuesday, November 20th. So all of you out-of-town "Lightheads" visiting Toronto for the Lightfoot concerts are invited to come by and view our art at the U.of T. Faculty Club(info on the above poster). Note that the club is closed on weekends, so make sure to include that info in your itineraries. Hope you enjoy the art! Thanks!(and thanks, Char, for posting the poster!)vic.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
brink-

That was the picture Char that I was trying to get up here. Thanks. Beautiful picture by Nancy Anderson.

Thank you Victoria!!! I guess we have a day trip to go on.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #16
myk

Timing is everything as they say(who are these people that are quoted so often) and unfortunately wont be arriving until the 17th.
Thanks for posting the poster
So it's another event missed. Looking forward to a full update from Char(and finally a chance to meet f2f) along with all the other fine members of the site @ the Chelsea.
P.S.Lighthead2toe-have securred a walker for you in November
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #17
charlene

Hy Mike - it's now on till the 20th!!
woo-hoo - you can get to it!
RJ will have to try to keep up...
lol

Thanks for the attempts Deb and John...thanks to Victoria for snapping the pic this morning!
lol

Get ready for us!!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #18
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Here's a better image of the art work:

mmmm, yes, I could see that hanging on my wall ...
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #19
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by vlmagee:
mmmm, yes, I could see that hanging on my wall ...
that was my thought, I'll leave it to you in my will.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #20
charlene

I'll get to it first tho....

and I figured out how Val did her magic!
lol

[ September 22, 2006, 12:30: Message edited by: charlene ]
Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #21
johnfowles

I am very sorry Deb but I only received the word document exactly as I sceenshot it. You obviously on the other hand saw it in full with Nancy's paining included. I initially suspected that I did not give the word document time enough to fuly download and show the pic which I know can happen with Word docs containing an embedded graphic but no I have just fully downloaded the doc to my desktop and obtained the full 1561KB file exactly as I saw before and again no picture.
I also wonder where you found that doc and moreover where and how Valerie got the separate and clear jpg of the picture. Neither picture nor the doc seem to be on the YAG website so I guess you both contacted Victoria by PM?? I note that Val's jpg filename includes "600" indicating to me that she reduced the size of the original she obtained to make fit fit better into this topic's column width
I have visited the YAG website and would respectfully point out to all those vying for the first chance to buy Nancy's CRT that on their News page at
http://www.yorkartistsguild.ca/News.htm
it doth say
""If You Could Read My Mind..." An Ode to Gordon Lightfoot , an Art Exhibit presented by 5ive Artists, October 3/06 to October 31/06 at the University of Toronto Faculty Club Pub, 41 Willcocks Street, Toronto. You are invited to the Opening Reception on Wednesday, October 4/06, 6:30pm to 9:30pm. Open Monday to Friday, noon to 10pm. Participating Artists: Lena Endicott, Nancy Anderson, Marcia Zamble, Nancy Neal and Victoria Wallace."
which indicates that the original span had already been extended from October 31st (as shown on the poster) to November 13th and now thankfully the 20th.
No doubt some who get there could digitally snap the 20-ish exhibits to show to others at the Delta Chelsea??
John Fowles
And hats off to cleverclogs Char if she really knows how Val did it
Old 09-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #22
vlmagee

John, no mystery. Vic sent me a Word file of the poster which I saved as HTML and thus got the highest resolution image. Then I reduced it for here. Vic must have forgotten that she had that, or didn't realize that one can get a jpg out of it (in multiple ways, as Char did it another way).
Old 09-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #23
charlene

I just got lucky - and if I had to try it again it probably wouldn't work!
lol
I copied the image from the attachment Victoria sent as a word doc. Then I pasted it into JASC picture shop or some such thing I have...and then saved it as a jPEG...woo-hoo!
I think...
lol
I can't wait to see all the artwork...I'm very intrigued as to what the other images will be and what the source of inspiration was for each piece...
I have my stained glass piece that I made but it was inspired by The Man himself and not a particular song....
Old 09-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #24
charlene

I just got lucky - and if I had to try it again it probably wouldn't work!
lol
I copied the image from the attachment Victoria sent as a word doc. Then I pasted it into JASC picture shop or some such thing I have...and then saved it as a jPEG...woo-hoo!
I think...
lol
I can't wait to see all the artwork...I'm very intrigued as to what the other images will be and what the source of inspiration was for each piece...
I have my stained glass piece that I made but it was inspired by The Man himself and not a particular song....
Old 09-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #25
vlmagee

Oh yes it would, Char. Don't underestimate your skills. You did a copy/paste, into an image editing program that you have. (Same one I use, by the way, and mine is very backlevel but works like a charm). Believe me, it will work every time. And it will work from "most" desktop programs that support images. So you could copy from Excel, or PowerPoint, or a host of other programs that support images within their files. Remember that for next time!