banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
ANTHONY ROBERSON

Default Gord Streaks!

No, I don't mean you should go look out of your window!

This one is going to be long, because man, oh man did the good, warm feeling hit me just now as I was listening to DREAM STREET ROSE...So please forgive me and hopefully respond.

When I listen to DREAM STREET ROSE, even to this day I can't wait for the streak of songs from the title track to IF YOU NEED ME.

I mean...
DREAM STREET ROSE: I love the harmony when he sings the words "Dream Street Rose". I love the two lyrics:
"You gave more than anyone could ask; you washed away all shadows of my past"
"Now somewhere in between there stands a dream; the sweetest dream that we have ever seen"

ON THE HIGH SEAS: To go from the hopeful DSR to this sad song is just some great album editing. This is one of the saddest lyrics that I have ever heard, and it still hits me hard:
"And when all is said and done, will she leave me alone?"
"And when all is said and done, is there no rainbow's end?"

The steel guitar is one of the best that's been laid down on a Lightfoot album.

WHISPER MY NAME:
This and ON THE HIGH SEAS have such a pensive opening guitar intro.
This one has so many visual lyrics that stand out in my mind...
"I will build a home for you to keep you warm each winter;Lemon lillies at your door to give you in September"
"Talk to me , run to me, whisper my name" ( I can just imagine a girl whispering my name to me in love)

Now, listen to the cool "lick" that Rick Haynes throws down from 1:34-1:38 in this song...It's subtle, but so cool!

IF YOU NEED ME:
This one picks up the beat and mood RIGHT ON TIME! I love how he opens up to the one he loves...

"If you want to know for certain what is written in my soul, where my wildest dreams unfold"

"If you need me, show me a way to walk tall.."

and again, one of the most powerfully visual lyrics for me: "Sun lights up the seasons, blue eyes light up the night".

Again, the steel guitar is laid down so well on this one. Not overwhelming, but just enough of a sound to bring out the upbeat feeling of love.

Sorry I took so long to get to the question, but do you ever think of a streak of songs that are just awesomely placed together on an album of Gord's? What are they...Why?

(Hey You ALMOST makes it as awesome, to me....but it's just a bit too.........superficial. Even though I do love the lyric "Reality brings mystery and ne'er the twain shall meet" TWAIN!).
ANTHONY ROBERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: Gord Streaks!

nice post and idea, Anthony....i cant do justice in elaborating the way you did so nicely but here is my fave looong streak...i couldnt stand to jump over any of these tracks

Farewell To Annabel That Same Old Obsession Old Dan's Records Lazy Mornin'
You Are What I Am Can't Depend On Love My Pony Won't Go It's Worth Believin' Mother Of A Miner's Child Hi'Way Songs

it is clunker free, imo

btw, i am not a fan of If You Need Me ...i dig that we all have different tastes
jj is offline   Reply With Quote