banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 07:03 AM   #1
Gord

Well I was in Toronto again yesterday visiting the GF, we stopped in at the CBC Museum on Front St, we were looking around and then I walked out one door and into the next and Chris my girlfriend must have thought I was nuts ... I spotted GL on the movie screen so I raced past her nearly knocking her over! LOL LOL...

Anyway they were running a movie about GL, most of it was from the 60's but there was some footage from the 80's and 70's. GL was doing a lot of talking about many things, they even had an interview with his parents Gord Sr and Jessica, I knew what Jessica looked like but I had never seen Gord Sr before. You can definetly tell Gord gets his looks from his mother.

It was a great bonus to end the day seeing all of that.!

PS... on the back cover of Shadows, that's him at Massey Hall singing If You Could Read My Mind... one of the clips was him singing that song and he was wearing the same clothes and I instantly recognized the one shot as the one from Shadows.

[This message has been edited by Gord (edited January 30, 2005).]
Old 01-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Nice story Gord but you really need to warn your girlfriend when you're about to bust a move, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
Jenney

quote:Originally posted by Gord:
Well I was in Toronto again yesterday visiting the GF, we stopped in at the CBC Museum on Front St.]

Char, why didn't we go there? We were certainly on Front Street often enough? Any idea if this exhibit will still be there in May?
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
jj

cool story, gord (what a GREAT fluke that was if you didn't realize ahead of time that it was the end of GL month at the museum/theatre!)

you were there on Hilight Reel day (below) and saw bits from Heart of Gold and Telescope it sounds like (wasn't he singing I'll Tag Along at Massey?)

btw, John, no i didn't see Wherefore and Why (sounds great though, and i haven't given up hope but doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon unless Char can convince CBC to play old GL stuff in place of NHNIC (no hockey night in canada) on Saturday evenings

is that the show where he also performs Miguel? )

Highlight Reel

Excerpts of Lightfoot from three programs followed by a complete episode of Front Page Challenge.

Talent Caravan 1960: Gord Lightfoot and Terry Whelan make their debut as The Two Timers singing Marianne .

Heart of Gold - 1982:Featured are past performances of The Canadian Railroad Trilogy, If You Could Read My Mind, The Ballad of The Edmund Fitzgerald.

Telescope - Lightfoot Forward - 1967: The singer had already written 100 songs when the program was produced. Shot in and around Toronto and Orillia.

Front Page Challenge - 1989: Taped before an audience in Charlottetown PEI. Mystery guest Gord Lightfoot performs two of his songs and is interviewed by the panel. (75 min.)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
jj

ok, poll:

what Gord artifacts should be (i'm not even sure which ones are, if any?) in the CBC Museum?

i think he said that his late mom, Jessie, at one point still had that cardboard pressed recording he did in school, i think that would be a good item for starters
Old 01-30-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
Gord

Actually I wouldn't exactly call it a museum, it's just basically one small room in the Broadcast Centre of CBC, most of what I saw, was displays pertaining to children's shows and they had a bunch of old microphones from the hockey games and other related stuff.

Other than that show I saw, there was nothing there pertaining to GL.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
charlene

geeze louise Jenney! I was just trying to stay warm! We never got that far west along Front St. We would have missed your shopping spree at the Market! I think as James says that the showings were only for January.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
jj

too late, John (actually too early! you answered my question months ago it seems)

char, think i can find the 'right' contact so we can start the re-airing petition for May they should be flattered, we CAN pack that small theatre (which is usually deserted)

in the mean time you can go check out kd and Gzowsk, lol...Bravo just re-aired that one, weird (with the exception of In Conversation, i'd say Peter was better for radio than tv )
Old 01-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #9
charlene

get your contact and we'll "work" on them!
These are the kind of shows that shoold be re-broadcast instead of shlocky movies carved up with commercials!
AS a taxpayer who funds the CBC i demand to be heard!
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
miketouhy

actually you can watch some of these on the internet at http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-68-743/...don_lightfoot/
Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK the subject of "Face Of A Thousand People" and that CBC show has just come up in correspondence with Terry Tufts of the "The Way I Feel" tribute group and in helping him I refound the archived site for the CBC Museum listing at the time it is at:-
http://web.archive.org/web/200502142...seum/spry.html
and I have made two screenshots :-

Note in particular Special Requests Welcome

John Fowles

And the face of a thousand people, the face of a thousand people
Keeps telling me I'm out to lunch, reality has passed me by
They're telling me that I've been wrong before
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #12
T.G.

Shoot, I didn't know about this and walk by the building almost every day. Any chance it is still going on?
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by T.G.:
Shoot, I didn't know about this and walk by the building almost every day. Any chance it is still going on?
Go in and ask!!
But I am sorry if I fooled you T.G. bear in mind that those screenshots were made from an archived copy of the the site as it was I think on a day last March showing the "listing at the time" which back then included the events from January 2005 not last month
John
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote