banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-02-2003, 10:35 PM   #1
Doug Mullins

stumbled across this on a dylan group. ronnie had a few bad words about gord
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/aroundt...-9FD44337AA14}
Doug Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:35 PM   #2
joveski

stumbled across this on a dylan group. ronnie had a few bad words about gord
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/aroundt...-9FD44337AA14}
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:09 AM   #3
Earl E Riser

The Hawk comes across as an "equine rectum" he typifies the countless characters one meets on this fantasic voyage, who have a very high opinion of themselves and a correspondingly low opinion of everyone else.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:09 AM   #4
Earl E Riser

The Hawk comes across as an "equine rectum" he typifies the countless characters one meets on this fantasic voyage, who have a very high opinion of themselves and a correspondingly low opinion of everyone else.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:58 AM   #5
SilverHeels

Ronnie Hawkins is quoted as saying:

<<On the subject of Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot, he says "they don't care about anybody but themselves." >>

I was always under the impression, he
and Gord were friends! Some friend!
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:20 AM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Interesting article, thanks for posting it joveski.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #7
TheWatchman

Yeah, some friend.lol I didn't think that was that big of a slam to Gordon. I think that all of us have been told that a time or two in our lives. I never even heard of this guy.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #8
BrightSide

When the Hawk's illness was revealed last year, someone on the Band's main site posted a paraphrase of the old saw that "The last things living after a global thermonuclear war would be a rat eating a cockroach."

They said Ronnie would be around to eat the rat--and it seems that might be true!

He's a mean old cuss, but then he wasn't a day at the beach as a young or middle-aged cuss, either. Take him or leave him, he livens up the place.

It's amazing if he really has recovered from pancreatic cancer. That's almost always a death sentence by the time it's diagnosed, or so I've believed.
BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #9
MaryEllen

When the Hawk's illness was revealed last year, someone on the Band's main site posted a paraphrase of the old saw that "The last things living after a global thermonuclear war would be a rat eating a cockroach."

They said Ronnie would be around to eat the rat--and it seems that might be true!

He's a mean old cuss, but then he wasn't a day at the beach as a young or middle-aged cuss, either. Take him or leave him, he livens up the place.

It's amazing if he really has recovered from pancreatic cancer. That's almost always a death sentence by the time it's diagnosed, or so I've believed.
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:30 PM   #10
Auburn Annie

MaryEllen (for anybody else NOT interested, scroll on down):
Pancreatic cancer is difficult to treat because it is usually found only after it is far advanced. Symptoms are vague and fit many disease profiles. That said, a localized tumor (not metastasized or spread) can be surgically removed using a Whipple procedure, which if done at a major medical center with very experienced surgeons can have a 5 year survival rate of 25% (up to 40% in some sub-groups) in contrast to a survival rate of about 3% in other pancreatic tumors. There are also benign pancreatic tumors which respond well to both medical and surgical treatment.

That said, The Hawk is not an ideal candidate for long term survival - the article said he's had no treatment beyond his self-prescribed regimen: "I had six or seven months to live," he recalls. "So I doubled up -- no, tripled up -- on everything: whisky, drugs, cigarettes."

Either the initial diagnosis was wrong, or he's too, er, well-preserved for anything to make a dent. I guess you could say he's a living embodiment of the phrase 'only the good die young.'

For an interesting short take on growing up in the Hawkins household, see this piece on his son Robin at http://www.pipcom.com/~thehawk/robin.html

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited April 03, 2003).]
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:30 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

MaryEllen (for anybody else NOT interested, scroll on down):
Pancreatic cancer is difficult to treat because it is usually found only after it is far advanced. Symptoms are vague and fit many disease profiles. That said, a localized tumor (not metastasized or spread) can be surgically removed using a Whipple procedure, which if done at a major medical center with very experienced surgeons can have a 5 year survival rate of 25% (up to 40% in some sub-groups) in contrast to a survival rate of about 3% in other pancreatic tumors. There are also benign pancreatic tumors which respond well to both medical and surgical treatment.

That said, The Hawk is not an ideal candidate for long term survival - the article said he's had no treatment beyond his self-prescribed regimen: "I had six or seven months to live," he recalls. "So I doubled up -- no, tripled up -- on everything: whisky, drugs, cigarettes."

Either the initial diagnosis was wrong, or he's too, er, well-preserved for anything to make a dent. I guess you could say he's a living embodiment of the phrase 'only the good die young.'

For an interesting short take on growing up in the Hawkins household, see this piece on his son Robin at http://www.pipcom.com/~thehawk/robin.html

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited April 03, 2003).]
Old 04-26-2003, 12:59 PM   #12
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by MaryEllen:
He's a mean old cuss, but then he wasn't a day at the beach as a young or middle-aged cuss, either. Take him or leave him, he livens up the place....

Apparently the old cockroach will be around a while longer (short of getting hit by a bus). From the Toronto Star:

Cancer 'gone'

It's a miraculous recovery, Ronnie Hawkins tells The Sun
By JIM SLOTEK -- Toronto Sun

Cancel the flowers. Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins said yesterday his doctors have given him an all-clear on the cancer front.

Hawkins was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last summer and operated on, apparently unsuccessfully.

The prognosis was considered poor enough that the noticeably frail Hawk was given lifetime tributes at a series of gala shows, attended by the likes of Bill Clinton, Kris Kristofferson, David Foster and Arkansas "chicken king" Don Tyson. But The Toronto Sun has learned that Hawkins received results this week of a recent CT scan and MRI, which indicated the growth was gone.

The Hawkins family plans to release the news today.

"It was very serious, it disappeared, it's gone, and nobody knows how to explain it," said Hawkins, who chose not to undergo chemotherapy in the wake of the surgery. "I saw the growth myself on the X-ray. But it's true, I'm clean as an angel's drawers. The doctors can't believe it. They're doing a lot of thinking ... SARS doesn't stand a chance in my body, baby."

Though he didn't opt for conventional medicine, Hawkins said he tried every alternative medicine that was sent his way, "plus I doubled up on the whisky and dope.

"I'd have to go into hours to tell you about all the Indian recipes and stuff that was sent to me. What's that medicine, holistic?

"And then was a healer from Vancouver, a young kid, he's unbelievable. Robbie Robertson had these Indian healers, these Indian medicine men fix me up a batch of s---. (Blues-rocker) Lonnie Mack did the same thing.

"I don't know which one cured me, but it might have been a combination of all of it. Personally, I think it was the whisky and the pot."

Hawkins' surgeon, Bryce Taylor, was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The Hawk said he's begun rehearsing again, and his immediate plans are to throw together an Ontario tour in the summer.

"I'm not gettin' out too much yet. I've been hanging around the house a lot and I gotta build up some strength. I had three major operations in 90 days last year.

"But I've been feeling pretty good lately. I had a feeling I was getting better. I played some dates here and there, and I'm getting ready to tour.

"Baby, I'm chasing the girls already. I just don't wanna catch 'em for a week or two."

Old 04-26-2003, 12:59 PM   #13
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by MaryEllen:
He's a mean old cuss, but then he wasn't a day at the beach as a young or middle-aged cuss, either. Take him or leave him, he livens up the place....

Apparently the old cockroach will be around a while longer (short of getting hit by a bus). From the Toronto Star:

Cancer 'gone'

It's a miraculous recovery, Ronnie Hawkins tells The Sun
By JIM SLOTEK -- Toronto Sun

Cancel the flowers. Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins said yesterday his doctors have given him an all-clear on the cancer front.

Hawkins was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last summer and operated on, apparently unsuccessfully.

The prognosis was considered poor enough that the noticeably frail Hawk was given lifetime tributes at a series of gala shows, attended by the likes of Bill Clinton, Kris Kristofferson, David Foster and Arkansas "chicken king" Don Tyson. But The Toronto Sun has learned that Hawkins received results this week of a recent CT scan and MRI, which indicated the growth was gone.

The Hawkins family plans to release the news today.

"It was very serious, it disappeared, it's gone, and nobody knows how to explain it," said Hawkins, who chose not to undergo chemotherapy in the wake of the surgery. "I saw the growth myself on the X-ray. But it's true, I'm clean as an angel's drawers. The doctors can't believe it. They're doing a lot of thinking ... SARS doesn't stand a chance in my body, baby."

Though he didn't opt for conventional medicine, Hawkins said he tried every alternative medicine that was sent his way, "plus I doubled up on the whisky and dope.

"I'd have to go into hours to tell you about all the Indian recipes and stuff that was sent to me. What's that medicine, holistic?

"And then was a healer from Vancouver, a young kid, he's unbelievable. Robbie Robertson had these Indian healers, these Indian medicine men fix me up a batch of s---. (Blues-rocker) Lonnie Mack did the same thing.

"I don't know which one cured me, but it might have been a combination of all of it. Personally, I think it was the whisky and the pot."

Hawkins' surgeon, Bryce Taylor, was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The Hawk said he's begun rehearsing again, and his immediate plans are to throw together an Ontario tour in the summer.

"I'm not gettin' out too much yet. I've been hanging around the house a lot and I gotta build up some strength. I had three major operations in 90 days last year.

"But I've been feeling pretty good lately. I had a feeling I was getting better. I played some dates here and there, and I'm getting ready to tour.

"Baby, I'm chasing the girls already. I just don't wanna catch 'em for a week or two."

Old 04-26-2003, 09:54 PM   #14
fowlesjohn

Auburn Annie,
Are you a nurse or doctor?
GSS
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:54 PM   #15
gwen snyder

Auburn Annie,
Are you a nurse or doctor?
GSS
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:31 AM   #16
Auburn Annie

Neither nurse nor doctor but a medical librarian who worked in our community hospital for 22 years - spent most of my life looking up medical information for the doctors, nurses, techs, support personnel, patients and their families. I'm now looking for other work since, with the contraction of healthcare dollars, they can't afford a librarian on staff (and, boy, are the employees PO'd, for which I am grateful but it doesn't pay the bills <g> ).
Old 04-27-2003, 08:31 AM   #17
Auburn Annie

Neither nurse nor doctor but a medical librarian who worked in our community hospital for 22 years - spent most of my life looking up medical information for the doctors, nurses, techs, support personnel, patients and their families. I'm now looking for other work since, with the contraction of healthcare dollars, they can't afford a librarian on staff (and, boy, are the employees PO'd, for which I am grateful but it doesn't pay the bills <g> ).
Old 04-27-2003, 10:02 AM   #18
fowlesjohn

Auburn Annie, How sad for them, but, you now how the opportunity to reinvent yourself and with all that experience, man, you could add a new dimension anywhere. The only thing holding you back is you...do you have a Bachelors degree? Because I think a person with your experience could make them young and inexperienced sales reps for pharmeceutical(sp?) companies go home and do their homework again. I hope you find something and keep us posted!!!
GSS
Old 04-27-2003, 10:02 AM   #19
gwen snyder

Auburn Annie, How sad for them, but, you now how the opportunity to reinvent yourself and with all that experience, man, you could add a new dimension anywhere. The only thing holding you back is you...do you have a Bachelors degree? Because I think a person with your experience could make them young and inexperienced sales reps for pharmeceutical(sp?) companies go home and do their homework again. I hope you find something and keep us posted!!!
GSS
Old 04-27-2003, 10:26 AM   #20
Auburn Annie

Thanks, Gwen. Bachelor's in English, Master's in Library Science. Except for the lack of money I've actually been sort of enjoying my unintended time off, my first break since I started working at 17 (I'm 51). Lately I've been drawn to taking up quilting again, something I haven't done since my first child was born almost 20 years ago. I'm feeling the pull of the fabric arts once more, and have actually bought a handful of 18"x22" samples in jewel tones to play with. I used to do hand sewn pieced quilts, but I think I'd do smaller, decorative wall hangings for now. It's something to satisfy the creative side of me (other than writing.)
Old 04-27-2003, 10:26 AM   #21
Auburn Annie

Thanks, Gwen. Bachelor's in English, Master's in Library Science. Except for the lack of money I've actually been sort of enjoying my unintended time off, my first break since I started working at 17 (I'm 51). Lately I've been drawn to taking up quilting again, something I haven't done since my first child was born almost 20 years ago. I'm feeling the pull of the fabric arts once more, and have actually bought a handful of 18"x22" samples in jewel tones to play with. I used to do hand sewn pieced quilts, but I think I'd do smaller, decorative wall hangings for now. It's something to satisfy the creative side of me (other than writing.)
Old 04-27-2003, 10:56 AM   #22
fowlesjohn

Right you are Auburn Annie, When I start to obsess about anything I head for my stash and my thought provoking quilt is the Double-Irish Chain and let me tell you, my house has this quilt done most frequently!!!
The jewel tone fabrics are great, I am the person who buys the jewel tone then arranges the colors a certain way in the pattern and end up with just a small amount needed to finsh the quilt, but, I live in the land of Amish and they prefer to do this sort of change, saying they are not perfect only God is and so their work is not perfect, great idea to follow, huh?
GSS
Old 04-27-2003, 10:56 AM   #23
gwen snyder

Right you are Auburn Annie, When I start to obsess about anything I head for my stash and my thought provoking quilt is the Double-Irish Chain and let me tell you, my house has this quilt done most frequently!!!
The jewel tone fabrics are great, I am the person who buys the jewel tone then arranges the colors a certain way in the pattern and end up with just a small amount needed to finsh the quilt, but, I live in the land of Amish and they prefer to do this sort of change, saying they are not perfect only God is and so their work is not perfect, great idea to follow, huh?
GSS