banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
belousov

re: http://www.lightfoot.ca/saltlist.htm
http://www.lightfoot.ca/salutrev.htm

For those of you who aren't aware (pardon me to the many here who are).. this is one terrific piece of work; and I mention it only because I have become assimilated over the passing years with the idea somehow that it's a chapter in the songbook which is somewhat overlooked and under-appreciated. I could be wrong, and I hope so. But for those of you who are posting regarding being unable to leave the house without a few CD's in hand, make sure and grab this one too..

..just my .02..

ps - I'm wondering if this might be the first album the boss made sober?.. or maybe the last one drinkin'.. not sure.. it was right around that time.. etc..
Old 09-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
RJ

re: http://www.lightfoot.ca/saltlist.htm
http://www.lightfoot.ca/salutrev.htm

For those of you who aren't aware (pardon me to the many here who are).. this is one terrific piece of work; and I mention it only because I have become assimilated over the passing years with the idea somehow that it's a chapter in the songbook which is somewhat overlooked and under-appreciated. I could be wrong, and I hope so. But for those of you who are posting regarding being unable to leave the house without a few CD's in hand, make sure and grab this one too..

..just my .02..

ps - I'm wondering if this might be the first album the boss made sober?.. or maybe the last one drinkin'.. not sure.. it was right around that time.. etc..
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

It's a great CD, but I prefer the earlier WB/Reprise CDs, and even some of the UA CDs. Maybe because the oldtimers of this group grew up listening to Gord.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
RJ

I see..
Old 09-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Jesse Joe

A terrific CD. "Whispers Of The North," has to be one of his most beautiful song that he wrote. Top 5 for me anyway. It never got the recognition that it deserves.

"Someone To Beleive In," is a true outlook on, people, and life. Listen to the words in that song. Pure Genius...

Gotta Get Away...Lightfoot Rocks!
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
Jesse Joe

A terrific CD. "Whispers Of The North," has to be one of his most beautiful song that he wrote. Top 5 for me anyway. It never got the recognition that it deserves.

"Someone To Beleive In," is a true outlook on, people, and life. Listen to the words in that song. Pure Genius...

Gotta Get Away...Lightfoot Rocks!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Gitchigumee

Salute will be next on my list to purchase. Thanks for the advice!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
GoofyGurl

'Salute' is my favorite G.L. album. It's one I listened to almost incessantly throughout my jr.-sr. years of high school and throughout college. I have all of Gord's recorded works except for "Two Tones", so I feel
I can make a valid judgement (o.k. opinion).

I finally got to meet Gordon after a show in 1999 in Merrillville, IN. It was the very first item I had him to sign. I told him "Salute, is still my favorite." He replied, "We had a lot of fun making this one!"
He was off the alcohol, and was making his personal comeback. I think he actually was quitting drinking during the making of 'Shadows'. Ironically he recorded 'Blackberry Wine' on this one, but it had been written in 1979.

If anyone does not have 'Salute' , get it. Yes, it's a little departure for Gord's sound (title song is a little hard rockin') but it's a good departure. 'Tatoo' is probably my favorite cut from the album.
GoofyGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
Kelly Davis

'Salute' is my favorite G.L. album. It's one I listened to almost incessantly throughout my jr.-sr. years of high school and throughout college. I have all of Gord's recorded works except for "Two Tones", so I feel
I can make a valid judgement (o.k. opinion).

I finally got to meet Gordon after a show in 1999 in Merrillville, IN. It was the very first item I had him to sign. I told him "Salute, is still my favorite." He replied, "We had a lot of fun making this one!"
He was off the alcohol, and was making his personal comeback. I think he actually was quitting drinking during the making of 'Shadows'. Ironically he recorded 'Blackberry Wine' on this one, but it had been written in 1979.

If anyone does not have 'Salute' , get it. Yes, it's a little departure for Gord's sound (title song is a little hard rockin') but it's a good departure. 'Tatoo' is probably my favorite cut from the album.
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
New 12 String Mike

My favorite song in Salute is Broken Dreams.

It is one of his best, "things will get better, things have been worse" songs.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #11
RJ

The title track has that marchin meter to it, but I play it (on my guitar; G-capo 3 (Bb)) very slow and mournful.. it's amazing.. listen mister I wont waste yer time.. I hope all thee mistakes you made are allot like mine.. There was this moment during the Minneapolis show last week, the guy couldn't play his guitar, but nobody cared cuz there was this standing ovation that seemed to say, overwhelmingly, "this guy WROTE all these songs!".. etc.. Things I suggest, come and go in life, but the Lightfoot songbook I think, will live on for a hundred years.. but and maybe we got more livin to do, with allot less pain, here! let's drink to you!.. etc.. etc..
Old 09-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
RM

RJ,

A slow and mournful rendition ? That's an interesting take on it. I hope you can provide us an opportunity to listen to it sometime.

Salute(A Lot More Livin' to Do)....

Seems awfully appropriate
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:27 AM   #13
RJ

re: an interesting take on it etc..

Yes, now that you mention it, I think the song (too-fast marching beat in my opinion humble) is sort of the guy's perfect song; Gord the heart-broken yet optimistic philosopher who feels too much for his own good but still can come to terms with it all in the end, and offers this advice to you my friend etc.).. I think Salute is the first in the series of albums (East of Midnight being the culmination I suppose) to try and be "commercial" or something; anybody out there remember the days when the boss would kick off the 2nd set sitting solo on that stool playing the finger-picking version of East of Midnight? Heaven.. the real version of the tune, the way it was written, the way it was meant to be. Now, I love East of Midnight, but that album, and Salute as well, I can hear in my mind's eye, all those songs different, in pure form, and in doing so, well, that is why I say Salute, is a masterpiece. Listen to the final piano chord of the song Romance, ever upward, ever hopeful, ever onward etc.. and now that, is Gordon Lightfoot..

[ September 23, 2006, 10:33: Message edited by: RJ ]
Old 09-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #14
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
anybody out there remember the days when the boss would kick off the 2nd set sitting solo on that stool playing the finger-picking version of East of Midnight? Heaven.. the real version of the tune, the way it was written, the way it was meant to be.
You jarred a memory loose. I do remember those days, and along with East of Midnight, he would add a solo Morning Glory. I agree that the solo version of EOM is far superior to the album's.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #15
RJ

..and one last thing about 'Romance' (and then I'll head over to St. Paul for the season premiere live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion at the historic Fitzgerald Theatre (where the recent film was shot almost entirely on location by the way (5:00 p.m. c.d.t. on your NPR station))).. Romance begins (and ends) with the instrumental bridge! How cool is that.. I've been playing the tune lately on the accordian actually, but for the musicians out there, try it on the piano.. it's lovely.. allot is made of the guy's poetry, and famous pipes, and rightly so, but as a composer? ..well I put him right up there.. and all the way.. etc..

[ September 23, 2006, 11:28: Message edited by: RJ ]
Old 09-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #16
ROBERT SANTA

Romance always comes to mind as the wreck song.
WRECK!? Well, not long after the album came out, I was listening to it on the way to work. Romance was playing as I was turning onto the street where I worked in North Royalton. A guy in a truck ran the stop sign and hit my car in the driver's side door! I was OK, though.
Seriously, I always liked about all of the music on the album...Knotty Pine, Romance, Someone to Believe in, the title track too.

-Gary
ROBERT SANTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #17
DellroyGM

Romance always comes to mind as the wreck song.
WRECK!? Well, not long after the album came out, I was listening to it on the way to work. Romance was playing as I was turning onto the street where I worked in North Royalton. A guy in a truck ran the stop sign and hit my car in the driver's side door! I was OK, though.
Seriously, I always liked about all of the music on the album...Knotty Pine, Romance, Someone to Believe in, the title track too.

-Gary
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #18
Jennifer

Only had Salute for a few days but since I've been home sick (...and then home taking care of my son who I apparently got sick ) I've been listening a lot. In spite of being unsure of what to expect from this album from reviews and various descriptions, and perhaps even steeling myself in favor of that acoustic sound of which I've grown so fond; I found it a delightful surprise. Some of the songs are a change from the style I've become used to, but not to the point where one may think he is trying to conform to a prevailing standard. It's still good ol' Gordon Tracks that stand out to me are Tattoo and Gotta Get Away. And of course the endearing Knotty Pine. I can't help but wonder if he's really singing about a tree, or is the tree just another poetic metaphor for a special lady? And oh boy, oh boy I just love Whispers of the North. This song reminds me of a very special period in my life, when time was a luxury I had more of, and I spent a lot of it in the woods taking photos, drawing pictures, hiking, observing the animal tracks and just enjoying the solitude and meditation that only nature can bring. It was a very special and healing time in my life, and it all came back to me when I heard this song.

Gordons music is so evocative, it's almost like he holds the key to ones psyche.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
Jesse Joe

Beautifully said Jennifer. "Whispers Of The North", is simply magic. Reading your post, I can hear the song in my mind. The Loons and everything. :D

Man, can he write a song or what? {Poet Genius} "What a guy"...
Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
Jesse Joe

Beautifully said Jennifer. "Whispers Of The North", is simply magic. Reading your post, I can hear the song in my mind. The Loons and everything. :D

Man, can he write a song or what? {Poet Genius} "What a guy"...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #21
Jennifer

The loons in the beginning are a nice touch and the whole song is a very mystical piece with a great flowing rhythm. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I knew it would be one of my favorite songs about 30 seconds into hearing it for the 1st time.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #22
Jesse Joe

Same here Jenn. There are songs that first time hearing it you love it right away.

When I first heard, "Whispers Of The North", way back in early 80's,{1983} when the Album came out, I thought to myself, "Man, he's done it again."

This may sound corny, but I just love that guy... Listening to his music old and new, depends on the mood, always makes me happy. More than happy even, it sends a jolt of energy, all over me.

I just wish he knew, what he means to me.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #23
Jesse Joe

Same here Jenn. There are songs that first time hearing it you love it right away.

When I first heard, "Whispers Of The North", way back in early 80's,{1983} when the Album came out, I thought to myself, "Man, he's done it again."

This may sound corny, but I just love that guy... Listening to his music old and new, depends on the mood, always makes me happy. More than happy even, it sends a jolt of energy, all over me.

I just wish he knew, what he means to me.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #24
Borderstone

I do like "Whispers of The North",but mostly I love the song "Romance". ...and truth be told here,I like the ballads on here more than the "rockers".

Broken Dreams & Salute are fine but I never could get fully into,"Someone To Believe In". It just sounds like one of those "unemotional" 80's songs,recorded in a hurry.

Gord makes it worth the while,of course but there were so many groups in that decade that made songs that sounded that way. (They couldn't even make it interesting enough for me to play the song past 2 min.)
Old 01-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #25
marc in maine

I'm going to listen to this cd shortly just to have a fresh opinion. I did this with "Harmony" one time and my appreciation for it took a sharp turn for the better. It was probably more relevant for me after some time.
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote