banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #51
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Re: Is Neil Young's Harvest the best Cdn. album ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Hi Kathy Number Four,

To answer your question, {YES} "Tim Horton Donuts" is like your Starbuck's...

IMNSHO I would say that Tim Horton's places are more like our Dunkin' Donuts than Starbucks. I like the coffee from all three but Tim's and DDs donuts beat the foo-foo pastries in Starbuck's hands down ! Think I'll stop and get some donuts on the way to work and see which dieters I can tempt, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #52
Jesse Joe

Oh! Thank's for correcting that BillW my good man. I had forgotten about Dunkin Donuts, your probably right Tims is more like DD...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #53
charlene

The doughnuts were better before the takeover...

From what I've seen of the Dunkin'Donuts up here and in the U.S. I'd say Tim's has a nicer ambience..not frou-frou like Starbucks tho..

The signs say TIMS with no apostrophe because of the French signage.
http://www.senserely.com/earnincome-...im_hortons.php
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #54
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
The doughnuts were better before the takeover...

From what I've seen of the Dunkin'Donuts up here and in the U.S. I'd say Tim's has a nicer ambience..not frou-frou like Starbucks tho..

The signs say TIMS with no apostrophe because of the French signage.
http://www.senserely.com/earnincome-...im_hortons.php
You are right Char - DDs has NO ambience whatsoever, sort of like a roadside produce stand only they sell donuts or doughnuts. Down here few of the counter people speak English as a first language - so it's sort of point, grab & go. But I digress, my answer to the album question is of course NO. I like Neil's first couple / three albums under his own name and I like his stuff with CSNY but best ? I still vote for DQ as best album ever !

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #55
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
You are right Char - DDs has NO ambience whatsoever, sort of like a roadside produce stand only they sell donuts or doughnuts. Down here few of the counter people speak English as a first language - so it's sort of point, grab & go. But I digress, my answer to the album question is of course NO. I like Neil's first couple / three albums under his own name and I like his stuff with CSNY but best ? I still vote for DQ as best album ever !

Bill
Maryland, right Bill?? I went to a conference in MD a couple of years ago and a few stops at DuDo's. 50 cents a cup less than the same cup in Connecticut!

There is one DuDo's I found that does have ambience...in Traverse City, MI! It's in a original building (there are other chains in original buildings too) and except for the addition of a restroom and modern indoor signage...it's a step back in time. Most of the town has that feel.

I'm not a big foo-foo coffee drinker, but I was addicted to Dunkin Donuts cinnamon coffee. Except now they're flavor shots . For foo-foo coffee, I usually stop in Willington Mobil for Green Mountain (organic, fair trade!) coffee and another customer turned me on to mixing flavors . My favorite is cinnamon and carmel.

Anyhoooo, Tim Horton's took over our Bess Eaten donuts...which I do miss! I knew the owner and miss talking to him. And he was so kewl! I used to get the low-fat, raspberry-filled corn muffins (though he would never tell me how many calories were in one of those babies!). One day...they didn't have any and so he took one without the filling and went in the back and filled it for me! From that time on, anytime he was around when I was there he'd take whatever I ordered and embellish it for me with extra frosting, smiley faces and that would make my day!! And they had the best double chocolate donuts.

Had been going there since the early 90's when I was in college and I have some fond memories of the place for sure! Like one day, on my way to classes and at the drive-through I ordered a small pizza with black olives and onions! I hadn't realized what I had just said until I heard..."uh, we don't have that here"!

From then on, whenever I ordered and they'd ask if there was anything else, I'd always joke around and say like, "yeh, and some new tires for my car". hehe

Since I've become a familiar face at Tim Horton's...we're all joking around a little more and I even got some 'perks'! The manager gave me a dozen or so cups and covers to go along with the can I had bought for the campground on my way to Michigan last month (to a GL concert ). I think he only agreed to give them to me (free, though I offered to pay) after I told him we were going to see Lightfoot . He is a fan and has gone to some GL concerts...so we hit it off! And he's an Aussie...kewl accent.

Oh! I haven't cared for too many of TH's donuts/pastries and it's quite fattening to attempt to try everything to find something I like - so I'd welcome any recommendations!

Heading by there now though...so probably a multi=grain bagel! I'm hungry after reading these posts!

Pam
Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #56
Rainbow Trout

You have not had doughnuts until you have warm Krispy Kremes!
Rainbow Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #57
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Trout View Post
You have not had doughnuts until you have warm Krispy Kremes!
The stores out here keep closing!! I love Krispy Kremes, warm, cold or old! yum!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #58
SilverHeels

Krispy Kremes!?!? Are you looking to put ON weight, my wee friend?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #59
charlene

Krispy Kreme tanked up here around Toronto..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #60
SilverHeels

KK (and I dont mean Kristofferson) has arrived in the UK too.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #61
podunklander

The one that was nearest to me (Newington, CT) has closed. The next closest one (Milford, CT) is over 50 miles away

I can only concur...they are the best donuts...yummy!!! When my son was in high school, a popular baseball team fundraiser was selling boxes of KK donuts! A few people would order donuts, but would then tell my son he could keep them! Sometimes we'd have 4-5 boxes here!