banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-23-2003, 08:37 PM   #1
Borderstone

At 1 time or another in our lives,we've been asked this question. "Would you wish to be a kid again?" My answer:yes! ...and to continue the question,how far back into childhood would you like to go and since it's a wish,would you wish to make it permanent? (In other words,instead of going through puberty,you start all over again.) I would most likely go back to age 4 and stop at 10yrs and 2 months! (That's 1 month before I first fell in love.) Obviously,yes,I want it to be permanent. Even if kids I would play with grew up,there would be new ones to come along soon. It's all fantasy of course,but if it could happen,I'd go for it! Even if it meant having to have constant parenting! It's been me and I'm off to watch Scooby-Doo! Zoinks!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited June 23, 2003).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #2
Oma

Sometimes I wish to be a kid again...but then I remember when I was a kid, I was always wishing I was an adult!!! We humans...never satisfied!!!

When I was young (this time frame would be about 1969-1975), it was nice to be free of major responsibilities and to be free to play without much of a care! I miss that...playing flashlight tag in the dark, Statue Maker, Mother May I, Red Rover, etc. Those were fun days! Catching lightning bugs was also a favorite summer evening pasttime for us kids. Friday night "late night" was my favorite because it was special...not EVERY night was "late night"!!! Also, with Friday night came popcorn (cooked on the stove!) and our ONE glass of Coca-Cola for the week! On Friday night we would stay up late with our dad and watch movies 'til we all fell asleep all over the livingroom! John Wayne, Charlie Chan, The Marx Brothers, Frankenstein (The Boris Karloff version), Dracula (Bela Lugosi, of course), The Thin Man, The Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello meet ?????...these were the type of shows we watched on those special late nights with dad! That kind of stuff I REALLY miss and would like to do over again.

But, although it would be fun to do all that over...I wouldn't want to make it permanent!!! Oh no!!!! I like being an adult...I can eat candy and drink Coke whenever I want now!!! Oh, and as an adult, I can drive...I like to drive...driving and listening to GL...now that's fun!

Oh "The B", as for your reference to Scooby-Doo, I gotta add another phrase...you'll know this one, "I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!!!"

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane...my favorite street!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
Borderstone

It may sound funny,but when I was a kid...the last thing in the world I wanted was to grow up! In fact when "the changes" occoured it kind of made me both sad & scared at the same time. I guess I somehow knew beforehand that once I wasn't a kid,it wouldn't be as easy. I had so much fun with my neighbor friend Howard across the street in my hometown of just 10,000 or so. We had the woods not even 1000 yards from our homes,he had a cornfield to hide in and we could play in imagination,unlike a lot of todays kids who have too much info too early. Those were the years of 1972 Age 4 to Jan. 1977 age 8 1/2. I made 4 great friends after moving to Cal. in '77. Joey,Josh,Tony & Tim! Pretty catchy huh? Especially if you put the kid version of my name Walter in front of Joey> (Wally,Joey etc.) We all rode bikes together,had a fort in the canyon behind my house,sleep-overs and again,games made from our own ideas. We moved again when I was 12,here to AZ. That was 6/30/1980. I miss those guys and I hate that we lost touch with each-other after just a few short years. If anyone out there has kids about age 10-11 or 12...do not move them away from their friends! It's almost impossible to make new ones after those ages. Well,it's been the B! Buuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzz! Peace it up!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Old 06-24-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by Oma:

But, although it would be fun to do all that over...I wouldn't want to make it permanent!!! Oh no!!!! I like being an adult...I can eat candy and drink Coke whenever I want now!!!

True Oma. Very true. But if you are like me, too much candy and Coke really adds to the waisteline, or in my case my gut. No flowery way to say it any better I guess.

I would want to be like 19 or 20 again. Old enough to think you have all the answers yet too ignorant to worry about anything.

TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:55 AM   #5
Oma

Watchman,
You're right about indulging on candy and pop and what it will do to your body !!! But, funny thing is, when we are adults and FINALLY able to eat all that stuff we always wanted to eat, any time we want, then it seems like we get all "health conscience" and we don't eat it with "reckless abandon" like we thought we would!!!!! Well, at least I don't! Now I'm the parent and I'm the one saying "no" to all that fun food and I'm sure my kids are thinking the same things I did when I was young!!!!! I hear it all the time "Oh, mom, you NEVER let me do ANYTHING I want, I can't WAIT until I grow up and move OUT of here!!!!!".

The circle just keeps going round and round!!

Borderstone,
Sounds like you had a lot of fun growing up! Yeah, back in "the day" we played using our imagination all the time, seeing as we had only one black and white TV and my dad was in control of it!!!! Now, I am trying to raise my kids so they have an imagination, too! I am a good one for saying "go play outside, it's a nice day!" and they do...play outside, a LOT! We also live right near the woods, our back yard ends where the woods (complete with a creek!) start, and nothing pleases me more than seeing the kids out there building a fort or hiking around out there with their binoculars, playing with the neighbor kids, riding bikes, etc. Nowadays it seems like there is just way too much media influence on the kids. I can't control all of that, but I do try to keep things as simple as I can while they are growing up!

Just edited a smiley....!

[This message has been edited by Oma (edited June 25, 2003).]
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
Borderstone

A fun time growing up? In my childhood years,yes,I had a blast. The those teen years came along and spoiled it all. I had no,and I mean NO idea that being a teen meant that in school people divided themselves up into groups or cliques.

I didn't know guys would make such a big deal about being virginal and run you down for everything they thought wasn't cool about you. I especially didn't know why it was so all fired important to be popular,into the latest fads or fashions etc....In short,by high school terms,I was a nerd or loser. Yeah,silly me! How dare I be myself? How dare I come to school to,oh I dunno,LEARN?!

Don't get me wrong,I did what I could to have fun,but it seems most werw just interested in things that could just get you into trouble. Smoking,drinking-so on. Times being what they were,I was never offered an alternative by anyone my age. School dances were about it,otherwise I just stayed home or went to the movies on the weekend.

Being teased a lot,it was no surprise that girls didn't want to risk going out with me. I used to let all this get me down,but having had relationships and love and such...I know that it's their loss and that high school means that most people there just have to high an opinion of themselves and no concern for others. A few nice people but not enough.

So really,I never was a typical teen. I found all I witnessed to be a futile waste of effort for an experience that only lasts 4 years.

It's been the B! ..and remember:You may have graduted and been a popular teen but school's just the beginning with the change of your scene!

[ March 01, 2006, 17:17: Message edited by: Borderstone ]