banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-04-1999, 03:42 AM   #1
wmmartin

I have put up 'Romance' as song of the month. This song was released on the Salute album in 1983.

This album is one of the 'Fab Four' which have not yet been released as a CD, but at least three songs from this album have been included in 'Songbook' (Someone To Believe In, Romance, Broken Dreams).

What is the meaning behind the reference to 'Home On The Range'?

Quote:
They say that people don't change
Like Home On The Range, it's original

-Florian

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited November 04, 1999).]
wmmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-1999, 03:42 AM   #2
Florian

I have put up 'Romance' as song of the month. This song was released on the Salute album in 1983.

This album is one of the 'Fab Four' which have not yet been released as a CD, but at least three songs from this album have been included in 'Songbook' (Someone To Believe In, Romance, Broken Dreams).

What is the meaning behind the reference to 'Home On The Range'?

Quote:
They say that people don't change
Like Home On The Range, it's original

-Florian

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited November 04, 1999).]
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-1999, 10:56 PM   #3
Annette

Florian, I've looked at your posting for song of the month several times and even looked up the words to Home On the Range to see if I remember them correctly but couldn't come up with what I thought was a suitable answer. I was hoping someone else would post first, but since it's already November 23rd I'll give you my thoughts and anyone else can jump in and disagree with me.
It's interesting how in the first verse of Romance it says "you say that people don't change, why re-arrange the original" and then later in the song he uses almost the same lines "they say that people don't change, like Home on the Range, it's original." I think the song Home on the Range has been around for as long as the midwest and west have been explored and pioneered - so it must be one of the original folklore songs for the west. Whenever I think of the words of Home on the Range, I always get the impression of a homestead or ranch where nothing ever changes. It's almost always sunny, the deer and the antelope are always playing and if you visited there 20 years later it would be exactly the same.
Is that anywhere close to what you were thinking? Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 11-23-1999, 10:56 PM   #4
Annette

Florian, I've looked at your posting for song of the month several times and even looked up the words to Home On the Range to see if I remember them correctly but couldn't come up with what I thought was a suitable answer. I was hoping someone else would post first, but since it's already November 23rd I'll give you my thoughts and anyone else can jump in and disagree with me.
It's interesting how in the first verse of Romance it says "you say that people don't change, why re-arrange the original" and then later in the song he uses almost the same lines "they say that people don't change, like Home on the Range, it's original." I think the song Home on the Range has been around for as long as the midwest and west have been explored and pioneered - so it must be one of the original folklore songs for the west. Whenever I think of the words of Home on the Range, I always get the impression of a homestead or ranch where nothing ever changes. It's almost always sunny, the deer and the antelope are always playing and if you visited there 20 years later it would be exactly the same.
Is that anywhere close to what you were thinking? Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 11-24-1999, 12:41 AM   #5
Wes Steele

Annette: I thought that was put rather well. Better than anything I could say. That was an insight into that song.
Wes...
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-1999, 03:03 AM   #6
Florian

Hi Annette,

I didn't know that Home On The Range is a country song. I have always thought that this expression refers to simple and happy country-life, as you have of pointed out.

But now that I know it's a song, the line Why rearrange the original makes sense.

Florian
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-1999, 01:09 PM   #7
Annette

Oops, I thought you knew it was a song Florian. So you won't be missing out on anything here are the words complete with chords if you or someone else you know can play. I hope it turns out okay in this format. It's a slow, lazy kind of song.

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam
G D D7
Where the deer and the antelope play
G G7 C
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
G D G
And the skies are not cloudy all day

D D7 G
Home, home on the range
Em Am D D7
G G7 C
G D G

G G7 C
The red man was pressed from this part of the west
G D D7
It's not likely he'll ever return
G G7 C
To the banks of Red River where seldom if ever
G D G
His flickering campfires still burn

Chorus: Home home on the range

G G7 C
How often at night when the heavens are bright
G D D7
I see the light of those flickering stars
G G7 C
Have I laid there amazed and asked as I gazed
G D G
If their glory exceeds that of love

Chorus: home, home on the range

Oh, and thanks Wes for the vote of confidence!
Old 11-24-1999, 01:09 PM   #8
Annette

Oops, I thought you knew it was a song Florian. So you won't be missing out on anything here are the words complete with chords if you or someone else you know can play. I hope it turns out okay in this format. It's a slow, lazy kind of song.

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam
G D D7
G G7 C
G D G

D D7 G
Home, home on the range
Em Am D D7
G G7 C
G D G

G G7 C
The red man was pressed from this part of the west
G D D7
It's not likely he'll ever return
G G7 C
To the banks of Red River where seldom if ever
G D G
His flickering campfires still burn

Chorus: Home home on the range

G G7 C
How often at night when the heavens are bright
G D D7
I see the light of those flickering stars
G G7 C
Have I laid there amazed and asked as I gazed
G D G
If their glory exceeds that of love

Chorus: home, home on the range

Oh, and thanks Wes for the vote of confidence!
Old 11-24-1999, 09:51 PM   #9
Wes Steele

Annette, I thought I saw it all in my old age, but I never thought I would see the words to "Home On The Range" on a GL website. Ha!
This is GREAT!!! You never know what to expect here. Keep it coming!!!
The 25th is Thanksgiving day here (also my 22nd wedding anniversary) in the U.S. and I am thankful for this website and all the wonderful people on it. Thank you!!!
Wes....
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-1999, 02:44 AM   #10
Annette

Wes, Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Anniversary to you and your wife!! You are right, you never know what to expect and how Gordon Lightfoot fits into it all without him even knowing it. A case in point - we went to the GL concert on my husband's birthday and our anniversary is the day before GL's birthday!
Hey, what's this about "in your old age"? I'm only trailing behind you about five years - you're young!
Old 11-25-1999, 02:44 AM   #11
Annette

Wes, Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Anniversary to you and your wife!! You are right, you never know what to expect and how Gordon Lightfoot fits into it all without him even knowing it. A case in point - we went to the GL concert on my husband's birthday and our anniversary is the day before GL's birthday!
Hey, what's this about "in your old age"? I'm only trailing behind you about five years - you're young!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
Borderstone

Hey!
How come we don't do a "Song of the Month"?
I think that's a great idea!

I'll gladly (re)-start it with:

"Seven Island Suite" for March.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #13
Jesse Joe

Hey B Stone, that's my all time fav Lightfoot song. As you noticed, that on the "Songbook 4 CD's."

On Disc 3, song 3, Seven Island Suite, followed by Borderstone...

Is this a favorite of yours? Good choice anyway for the song of the month, for March.

[ March 02, 2007, 18:56: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
Jesse Joe

Hey B Stone, that's my all time fav Lightfoot song. As you noticed, that on the "Songbook 4 CD's."

On Disc 3, song 3, Seven Island Suite, followed by Borderstone...

Is this a favorite of yours? Good choice anyway for the song of the month, for March.

[ March 02, 2007, 18:56: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe ]
Old 03-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #15
Borderstone

Actually Jess,if you look at my list of 150 favorites thread,you'll see,"Seven Island Suite" is #3,in my top 10.

Right behind "My Love For You" #2 and "End OF All Time" #1. Yes I noticed it's right before "Borderstone".

Y'know....sometimes,being so used to it as my name on here,I actually forget that's a song!

Until I realize it is and smack my forehead back into reality! LOL! :D
Old 03-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #16
Jesse Joe

Right on B. But I was asking about the song Borderstone. I will have to find your 150 favorites thread, and have a look at that.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
Jesse Joe

Right on B. But I was asking about the song Borderstone. I will have to find your 150 favorites thread, and have a look at that.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:21 AM   #18
RaisinSpores

Borderstone and Jesse-Joe,
"Seven Island Suite" is one of my very favorites also. I've never really made a list, but it would make my top 3, I'm pretty sure. The lyrics are great, and I love all the different "sections" of the song. It's almost like "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" in that it seems to be made up of three different songs stitched together.
RaisinSpores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:21 AM   #19
Winter's Claw

Borderstone and Jesse-Joe,
"Seven Island Suite" is one of my very favorites also. I've never really made a list, but it would make my top 3, I'm pretty sure. The lyrics are great, and I love all the different "sections" of the song. It's almost like "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" in that it seems to be made up of three different songs stitched together.
Winter's Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #20
Borderstone

Is my namesake song one of my favorites? Yes. :D

It's on the list in the topic titled,
"There's Lightfoot Songs On the List That I Write". I moved it to the top for you.

Seven Island Suite is like CRRT but mellower.

[ March 03, 2007, 15:08: Message edited by: Borderstone ]