banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Calgary report-Mon.Apr.13,2009-CHAR&REVIEW

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Fans+...530/story.html

Gordon Lightfoot performs at the Jack Singer Concert Hall in Calgary April 13, 2009.
Photograph by: Stuart Gradon, Calgary Herald

Review: Fans worship Lightfoot in the church of Gordon

By Eric Volmers, Calgary HeraldApril 14, 2009

It was just before the fourth song of Monday night's set that Gordon Lightfoot's stage began to take on the feel of a church.

This was not in a dull, holier-than-thou sense, of course.With a muttered, "All right, here we go,"the 70-year-old icon began the opening strains of his 1982 ballad, 14 Karat Gold. The back-ground stage lighting began to look like stained-glass windows, chimes sounded in the background and a hush fell over the crowd.

After nearly a half-century in the business and dozens of memorable songs, reverence is probably the most appropriate attitude for Lightfoot, no matter what the setting. But the highly-partisan crowd at the Jack Singer Concert Hall seemed particularly eager to play along Monday night.

As anyone with even a cursory knowledge of his music knows, the Church of Gordon is no sweaty tent revival meeting. Sonic adventure has never been his thing. He's more ethereal-- a word Lightfoot used more than once to describe how he was feeling Monday night -- with an emphasis on grace and comfort.

Above all, it's about the familiar. A few of the more energetic audience members yelled out some obligatory "I-love-you-Gords" or "way-to-go-Gords" in between songs.

Lightfoot responded with what seemed like a few Ian Tyson references and some ex-wife jokes. But before the hour-long first act was up, the quietly appreciative crowd had been rewarded with gorgeous hits such as Cotton Jenny, Carefree Highway, Rainy Day People, Minstrel of the Dawn, Beautiful, Sundown and even The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald, perhaps his most beloved tune. It was a sturdy sampling of this man's stunning songbook and a reminder that he hasn't altered his sound much throughout a 40-year-plus career.

But covering new ground hardly seems the point.

Decked out in his trademark white shirt and dark vest and with a slight rasp to his famous baritone, Lightfoot began his second act with the tuneful sea song, Triangle, before al-lowing his fantastic band to let loose on the rockabilly-tinged Hangdog Hotel Room.

They managed to generate some real heat on his melodic Waiting for You, and the tasty blues number Make Way for the Lady.

But, for the most part, the band faded into the background darkness as Lightfoot stood his ground for a run of quiet folk gems, which eventually included classics If You Could Read My Mind and Don Quixote, among others.

With songs that rarely move past a comfortable shuffle and his stage banter pleasant and at times chatty, Lightfoot could never be accused of not acting his age.

And with no new material in the past five years, Monday's show was clearly a greatest-hits celebration.

He even explained the origins of Edmund Fitzgerald and Canadian Railroad Trilogy, no doubt for the 10,000th time, with humour and enthusiasm.

In short, he delivers what is expected of him. There's no surprises and no real performance, at least in the rock 'n' roll sense.

But that's OK.

With Jack Singer's sympathetic acoustics, a tasteful four-piece road band and a warmly supportive crowd, Monday's setting was about as perfect a spot as you could hope for to see Lightfoot trot out his favourites.

Did he win over any new converts? At this point it probably doesn't matter.

Most of us are already part of the congregation.

evolmers@theherald.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Gordon Lightfoot performs at the Jack Singer Concert Hall in Calgary April 13, 2009.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Yuri

Default Re: Review: Fans worship Lightfoot in the church of Gordon

Fantastic review. The reverence for Gord and his music could not be described more accurately...
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

there are two interesting links on that page from the Montreal Gazette
(The lesser of the two Montreal dailies in my time in that great city in the 60's. The Montreal Star is now a few curling and yellowing cuttings now for me)
1 a rather cheeky and lazy
"Do It Yourself" review of the Edmonton show
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Revie...523/story.html

"Did you see Gordon Lightfoot's show at the Jubilee Auditorium on Tuesday night? What did you think of it? Post your comments below."
with a picture from Vancouver 's 10th April concert

Legendary Canadian singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot takes the stage at the Centre in Vancouver For Performing Arts on April 10.
Photograph by: Jenelle Schneider, Vancouver Sun
(not even their own photograph!!

and 2 a link to a Wall Street Journal feature on a new children's version of Don Quixote
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123941239263010411.html

"In a village, the name of which I don't quite remember, in La Mancha in the middle of Spain, there lived a country gentleman whose surname was Quesada or Quixada" -- or Quixote, as he later calls himself. So begins this satisfyingly substantial and delightfully illustrated children's version (for ages 9 and up) of Miguel de Cervantes's 1605 masterpiece. As adults may remember, "Don Quixote" recounts the peregrinations of a scrawny Spaniard who reads so many books about brave knights, distressed damsels and wicked sorcerers that he goes quite mad. Fancying himself to be a knight actuated by the highest impulses of chivalry, the crazy fellow sets off on his skinny horse,"

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-15-2009 at 11:38 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Peter Bro10

Sometimes, particularly in newspapers (ala "music critics") we read some accounts that seem favorable or kind. Other times we don't care for the "views" expressed by the reviewer.

I personally much prefer the reviews posted here by fellow corfidians... mainly because we are all of the same general perspective, usually long time fans and such.

To one of the other reviews recently posted, I was going to respond to a negative comment by the reviewer, but then thought the better of it and left it alone.

I suppose it's a form of curiosity to know or hear what the rest of the world thinks or sees, but ultimately we don't really care, which is of coarse why we're here....
Now, I'll grant you that this reviewer "gets it" more than most. There is genuinely something special about a Lightfoot show. I went to my last one 3 weeks ago, and I'm just now coming down from the "buzz"!

Those last two sentences pretty much sums up a Lightfoot concert experience!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bro10 View Post
I suppose it's a form of curiosity to know or hear what the rest of the world thinks or sees, but ultimately we don't really care, which is of coarse why we're here....
Very well said.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
podunklander

^5 Peterbro...the "buzz"
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
Nightingale

What a pleasure to read that review I love the pictures, too!

Yes, very well said PeterBro10...that's just what I was thinking about it
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
charlene

Default Calgary report-Mon.Apr.13,2009

ALBERTA BOUND - Lightfoot in Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta
Monday April 13 and Tuesday April 14, 2009.

Char and Bonnie’s excellent adventure.

Calgary, Alberta, Mon.April 13, 2009 – Jack Singer Concert Hall.

A quick decision to head west after a lovely and generous offer of air miles from my friend Bonnie in Calgary had me away and westward bound early on the morning of Monday April 13, 2009.

I love to fly and was looking forward to the trip west as I’d never been west of Ontario and couldn’t wait to see Canada from the air as we flew over the plains of Saskatchewan and Manitoba and then view the Rockies as we headed into Calgary. It was awesome. The immensity of the wheat fields, the quantity of rivers and lakes, the vast expanses of barren land unoccupied and still as untouched as the day the pioneers trekked across the country encountering our native Canadians who lived on the land, was very sobering.

I caught glimpses of the rail lines and thought of the words in The Trilogy –
"For there was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run
When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun
Long before the white man and long before the wheel
When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."

It certainly set me to contemplating the history and geography of Canada and then of course that lead to the songs of Lightfoot. I now understand and appreciate so many songs more deeply than I ever did.

Calgary is over an hour from the foothills of the Rockies but seeing them from the plane, posing so majestically on the horizon was truly breath-taking.
Unfortunately that is all I would see of them in my short but eventful trip to Alberta. Other events would intercede with our planned trip to Lake Louise/Banff on Tuesday..but it’s all good..

Bonnie picked me up at the beautiful Calgary airport and we headed to her place for lunch. It was great to see her again! After lunch I had a short nap and we headed to downtown Calgary for a fabulous salmon dinner. The Jack Singer Concert Hall was a couple of blocks away so we decided to walk and get some fresh, crisp Calgary air. The doors were open but they were not admitting anyone entrance to the hall until about 7:30 so we patiently waited for 10 minutes or so.

When we found our seats which Bonnie had bought on-line we were flabbergasted to see they were front row, dead centre. And the stage was literally two feet away. Gord’s mic was right at the edge of the stage unlike at Massey where the front row is about 5 feet away and Gord stands about 4 feet from the edge. Good grief, we’d be looking up his nose! The whole band was a lot closer than at Massey or any other hall that I’ve been in to see them.

Bernie Fiedler came looking for me as he knew I’d be there and he spent a while sitting with us and talking about the tour and the halls, sound, crowds etc. We would catch up with him again at intermission and after the show.

The place filled up in the next 30 minutes and right at 8 the band strolled out with Gord pulling up the rear wearing his familiar blue velvet waistcoat, white shirt and black pants. We all stood and cheered and there were a few shouts of “I love you Gord!” As Terry took his place he saw me sitting there right under Gord’s feet and gave me a nod and a big smile! The audience stood as Gord took his place at the mic and he gracefully and gratefully acknowledged the ovation. He launched into the first song and we were off on another Lightfoot journey.

During the first couple of songs, because we were so close and in full light from the spotlights I caught Barry’s eye as I glimpsed him through Gord’s legs. LOL. He did a double take, leaned a bit forward to see me better and gave me a big smile too! Rick noticed me a bit later and Gord did as well with a wide eyed glance and smile..a bit later there was a smile and a wink. Omigoodness. I was just hoping he wouldn’t fall off the stage!!

As has been mentioned earlier, Gord was experiencing the effects of a cold and drinking water onstage, bending over for several seconds to clear his sinuses. There were moments of huskiness and scratchiness and after some songs he seemed slightly winded and demonstrably surprised and thankful he made it through them.

Throughout the evening he mentioned Ian Tyson a couple of times saying at one point after the 7th song “as my friend Ian would say – ‘let the adrenalin flow!’” Tyson lives about 30 minutes south of Calgary but there was no sighting of him.

Gord was really enjoying himself saying “the energy never stops!”. The audience was a bit subdued with not too many shout-outs but there was some huge applause for Carefree Highway, Rainy Day People, IYCRMM and The Wreck. The sound was low (as usual) so I’m not sure how it sounded at the back of the hall.

After bending over one time he laughingly explained that this was a time that the band might take the advantage to “kick him in the slats!” http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...sages/211.html

The introductions of the band with a generous thank you to them and the whole crew was very nice. He mentioned the stage manager, the lighting guy, the sound guy, the 18 wheel driver, the tour manager, and the pilots! 12 of them altogether out on the road from April 8 thru to the 18th.

After 15 songs it was break time for 20 minutes.

Those 20 minutes flew and we were all seated when the lights dimmed and the band walked back out to take their places. The audience was applauding and cheering and as usual Lightfoot came out last with a guitar strapped on, ready and raring to go. He had on a white shirt and one of his brocade vests.

In front of Terry was small monitor that he had to do a quick sidestep around. I kind of worried about him tripping or losing his balance as he continued in a straight line towards the mic but more towards the edge of the stage and not behind the mic where he was supposed to go.

This all happened in a matter of a few seconds and then he did something I still can’t quite believe. He came right to the edge of the stage, bent over, reached out and shook my hand with a big “Hi Char!” omigawd..did that really happen? Well thankfully Bonnie was there to tell me it did! I was quite overwhelmed to say the least.

(Probably what I would have felt at the Feb.2008 Orlando show when he sang “I’ll’ Tag Along” for me not knowing I couldn’t make it to Florida at the last minute!)

The man is full of surprises! Needless to say it was quite a while before the smile left my face and my heart stopped racing.

When he sang “Restless” I thought of Barry Harvey.
During “APPT” I thought of him writing it and quietly acknowledging his place in the world.
“If Children Had Wings” made me wonder about the chaos of his life back when his children were away from him and he was missing them but his much wanted career had taken over and I felt sad for the hurt that was inevitable for him and his family.
“Make Way For The Lady” was sublime and sexy. Oh my.
And the vocals of an older, perhaps wiser Lightfoot made “IYCRMM” resonate with the emotions of a dying love affair.

When he returned for the encore he told us he’s gonna keep “plowing on!”
He sang “SFAWN” and at one point got a tad mixed up with the lyrics and ran several lines together in a very fast fashion that was remarkably like RAP music! He was quite amused as were the band and the audience.

Gord came back for his bows and waves with a spring in his step and a huge smile on his face.
He told his "hare" joke again and made mention of his "first and second old ex-ladies" before the songs he had written about their relationships. He said his first wife was a wonderful wife and he remembers flying home to her after a tour to face the "REAL" music!

Being so close I not only could hear the amplification but I could hear Gord’s ‘live’ voice. Plus I could lip-read. (my talent never ends..lol)

So, for the question of what word he uses in The Watchman’s Gone – it is THIN.
“There's a train down at the station
It's come to carry my bones away
Two engines on, twenty-one coaches long
End to end, twenty-one coaches THIN
The watchman's out, kicking the bums about.”

Bonnie and I made our way backstage for a quick “HI” with Gord after he spent a few minutes changing and then speaking with the other four folks who were back there. Mike H. and Rick H. came out to say hi and we spoke with them while Gord spoke with a couple of fellows who had copies of an Ian Tyson special they had done to be broadcast on CTV. Gord is in it - no airing date as yet.

When the others had left Gord turned my way and with his arms outstretched he gave me a big hug and said he was so glad I came out west to give him moral support! I told him not to worry because “Toronto was in the house!”

He said he was suffering from a cold and had taken some red Sudafed tablets that were playing havoc with his sinuses so he wasn’t taking anymore. I introduced everyone to Bonnie and they were their usual friendly, generous fellows.
part 2 - coming up..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
charlene

Default Re: Calgary report-Mon.Apr.13,2009

I asked Gord to sign a copy of the WestJet “UP” magazine in my seatback pouch on the plane. It was meant to be that I go see him out west! He was with me on the flight out!
I have scanned the autographed pic that accompanied the article about Gord/Yellowknife/songwriting and canoeing.
http://www.up-magazine.com/U-04-09-Final.pdf - article @ page 14 of 48 on-line mag.
Pic of cover: http://www.up-magazine.com/look_it_up.php

I also had the guitar songbook "Lightfoot" and a Hugh’s Room T-shirt from the January Lightfoot celebration when he showed up for the show. Some of the artists had signed it back then but I wanted a Lightfoot signature too. He loved the shirt and happily signed it for me. I’ll scan it as well.

Bonnie had her Old Dan's Records album to sign and Gord was pleased to do so and pose for a few quick pics teling her that she 'had a nice little record there."
I was so thrilled for her to be meeting Gord and getting an autograph and pic from him!!

I asked him if he was taking up RAP with his lyric confusion in SFAWN and he laughed. He was very enthusiastic and quite full of energy.

It seems that Terry wasn’t feeling well having caught the same cold as Gord and Rick hadn’t felt well for a few days either. I imagine it’s hard not to have the germs spread amongst them being in close quarters in the plane and being with each other a lot during the tour.

During intermission Bernie Fiedler suggested I change my return flight home and head north to Edmonton on Tuesday night with Bonnie for the concert there. He’s a sweet man and since I had flown all that way for one concert and Edmonton was so close I couldn’t think of any reason not to take him up on his offer and neither could he or Bonnie. I told him I’d check back home that things were ok with my daughter and my mum and call him Tuesday morning.

As we all agreed that the Rockies would always be there for me to see and since we don’t know when the Lightfoot concerts will stop, it was a given that I should head north!

We discussed it more with Bernie over drinks later that evening with Mike and Rick along for company. I was happy to run into Barry in the lobby and spend a few minutes talking with him. He’s a sweet guy. It was a lovely couple of hours and we had a grand time until the bar was closing and we all headed out for a good night’s sleep. Bonnie and I would be up earlier than them since they would be flying to Edmonton on a 45 minute flight far above the clouds. We’d be driving for almost 3 hours through what ended up being quite a windy snowstorm.!!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
charlene

scans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001small.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002small.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	2610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003small.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2611  
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
mandoann

Awesome, Char! Thanks for a great report!

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
buzzard

Hi Char:
So glad to hear the western road trip went well. Thanks for posting the details. With all the great things you do for so many of us, I think its wonderful to see it paid back in the generosity of folks like Bonnie and Bernie. I think its also fitting that you got the big personal welcome from the man himself!
Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
KHester

Charlene,

Sounds like you had a well deserved wonderful time. Thanks for the great review, and I bet your ready to see them tomorrow night if you could. Another great Lightfoot and group meeting.

Kevin
Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
charlene

|Edmonton report still to come and pics too!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
We discussed it more with Bernie over drinks later that evening with Mike and Rick along for company. I was happy to run into Barry in the lobby and spend a few minutes talking with him. He’s a sweet guy. It was a lovely couple of hours and we had a grand time until the bar was closing and we all headed out for a good night’s sleep.
What did you guys talk about ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #16
charlene

One topic was whether I should open my pool prior to going to Florida for 3 weeks in June or leave it till I get back..the consensus was to open it since Rick wasn't coming over to help me clean the swamp it would be when I get back..
Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Next_Saturday View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Fans+...530/story.html

Review: Fans worship Lightfoot in the church of Gordon

By Eric Volmers, Calgary HeraldApril 14, 2009

It was just before the fourth song of Monday night's set that Gordon Lightfoot's stage began to take on the feel of a church.

This was not in a dull, holier-than-thou sense, of course.With a muttered, "All right, here we go,"the 70-year-old icon began the opening strains of his 1982 ballad, 14 Karat Gold. The back-ground stage lighting began to look like stained-glass windows, chimes sounded in the background and a hush fell over the crowd.

After nearly a half-century in the business and dozens of memorable songs, reverence is probably the most appropriate attitude for Lightfoot, no matter what the setting. But the highly-partisan crowd at the Jack Singer Concert Hall seemed particularly eager to play along Monday night.

As anyone with even a cursory knowledge of his music knows, the Church of Gordon is no sweaty tent revival meeting. Sonic adventure has never been his thing. He's more ethereal-- a word Lightfoot used more than once to describe how he was feeling Monday night -- with an emphasis on grace and comfort.

Above all, it's about the familiar. A few of the more energetic audience members yelled out some obligatory "I-love-you-Gords" or "way-to-go-Gords" in between songs.

Lightfoot responded with what seemed like a few Ian Tyson references and some ex-wife jokes. But before the hour-long first act was up, the quietly appreciative crowd had been rewarded with gorgeous hits such as Cotton Jenny, Carefree Highway, Rainy Day People, Minstrel of the Dawn, Beautiful, Sundown and even The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald, perhaps his most beloved tune. It was a sturdy sampling of this man's stunning songbook and a reminder that he hasn't altered his sound much throughout a 40-year-plus career.

But covering new ground hardly seems the point.

Decked out in his trademark white shirt and dark vest and with a slight rasp to his famous baritone, Lightfoot began his second act with the tuneful sea song, Triangle, before al-lowing his fantastic band to let loose on the rockabilly-tinged Hangdog Hotel Room.

They managed to generate some real heat on his melodic Waiting for You, and the tasty blues number Make Way for the Lady.

But, for the most part, the band faded into the background darkness as Lightfoot stood his ground for a run of quiet folk gems, which eventually included classics If You Could Read My Mind and Don Quixote, among others.

With songs that rarely move past a comfortable shuffle and his stage banter pleasant and at times chatty, Lightfoot could never be accused of not acting his age.

And with no new material in the past five years, Monday's show was clearly a greatest-hits celebration.

He even explained the origins of Edmund Fitzgerald and Canadian Railroad Trilogy, no doubt for the 10,000th time, with humour and enthusiasm.

In short, he delivers what is expected of him. There's no surprises and no real performance, at least in the rock 'n' roll sense.

But that's OK.

With Jack Singer's sympathetic acoustics, a tasteful four-piece road band and a warmly supportive crowd, Monday's setting was about as perfect a spot as you could hope for to see Lightfoot trot out his favourites.

Did he win over any new converts? At this point it probably doesn't matter.

Most of us are already part of the congregation.

evolmers@theherald.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

I know that I was an enthusiastic 'congregant' when he was here last year. I fully intend to be such a person again when he returns.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #18
lighthead2toe

Hey Char. The reason why he shook your hand at that concert is because you are his friend and it did not go unnoticed.

This is not something that normally happens at a Lightfoot concert.

In his "Hi'way Songs" there is a line that says: "Everyone that I call friend knows they will not be forgot."

During a recent interview he talked about his career of being a professional musician and he works with a lot of professional people.

You are one of those professional people.

This website is a magnet for unknown numbers of fans who come here regularly to find out the latest on what's happening with Gordon Lightfoot and his music, and I'm one of them because I know that what I read here is up to date and reliable.

During the Massey Hall concerts in 2005 there was a flurry of posts on this site and one in particular came from Gord's daughter, and she said it very graciously how this site is an integral part of her Dad's fan base.

Also, who called who when the interview came along?

As they say back home. (A little Newfy here now) "Don't sell yerself short girl!"

See ya' next week all being well.

Cheers, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Hey Char. The reason why he shook your hand at that concert is because you are his friend and it did not go unnoticed.

This is not something that normally happens at a Lightfoot concert.

In his "Hi'way Songs" there is a line that says: "Everyone that I call friend knows they will not be forgot."

During a recent interview he talked about his career of being a professional musician and he works with a lot of professional people.

You are one of those professional people.

This website is a magnet for unknown numbers of fans who come here regularly to find out the latest on what's happening with Gordon Lightfoot and his music, and I'm one of them because I know that what I read here is up to date and reliable.

During the Massey Hall concerts in 2005 there was a flurry of posts on this site and one in particular came from Gord's daughter, and she said it very graciously how this site is an integral part of her Dad's fan base.

Also, who called who when the interview came along?

As they say back home. (A little Newfy here now) "Don't sell yerself short girl!"

See ya' next week all being well.

Cheers, RJ.
Very well said Ron.
But actually Ingrid a.k.a. "melody" became a member here on 11-11-2006
her first of 14 postings appeared in thread:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13297
about the November 2006 concert series not 2005

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Old 04-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #20
charlene

thanks Ron! -
I'm very appreciative of the 'friendliness' that Lightfoot extends to me at times. When he does it always surprises and leaves me floating for many,many days since they seem to be quite out of the ordinary!
lol
I never expect or anticipate anything so it's all the sweeter when it happens. My only thought is to be able to say hello to him!
Regardless of when Ingrid posted here she was very kind and open with her thoughts. I hope she attends a Massey show in November so I can say hello to her again.
Keep me posted about next week..we can try to get together somehow!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #21
lighthead2toe

I stand corrected on that one John.

Should've done my homework better especially considering the importance of the topic.

I'm not sure if I'm working too hard or age is catching up with me. I'm developing hobbling issues.

Oh wait. I have a legitimate excuse.

Tuesday, April 28th, I'm off to my good ol' TO town to connect with some real talented guys to play some serious Lightfoot tunes.

This feeling of total exoneration is overwhelming. Just too much!

Amazing the effect this Lightfoot music has on one.

Stay loose, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #22
charlene

Default Re: Calgary report-Mon.Apr.13,2009-CHAR&REVIEW

pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003-labelled.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	7917   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10582-labelled.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	7918   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10584edit-labelled.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	7919   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10590edit-labelled.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	7920   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10591edit-labelled.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	7921  

Name:	SDC10593-labelled.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	7922   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10597edit-labelled.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	7923   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10599-labelled.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	7924   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10604-labelled.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	7925   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10606-labelled.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	7926  

Old 03-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #23
johnfowles

Default Re: Calgary report-Mon.Apr.13,2009-CHAR&REVIEW

OK Char after thoroughly enjoying rereading this old thread my main remaining question was how was the trip up to Edmonton which you must have written up but failed to provide a link to
OK found it at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=151189
to which I see I had contributed my thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Err Umm
It is possible that I was to blame for Gord doing I'll Tag Along for the unfortuneately absent Char in Tampa in February 2008
I am not sure if I reported this or told Char in May but the evening before In Orlando I did suggest that he should sing it for Char
but probably I confused him or I did not say when. Whatever he obviously assumed that Char would be at the Tampa concert.
It was quite a surprise when he sauntered out to do it solo in Tampa.
Personally I think he should do more solos like this, as it would avoid the worry and time to ensure that the full orchestra had rehearsed it. I think all who have the privilege of talking to him should suggest this,
Just think if he only did one solo of a different song every night for the next 4/5 years or so he could cover his entire song output (beyond the usual 35) and throw in and a few rarities that we would all love to hear him do (including the greater Toronto Telephone Directory!!)
I bag Four Strong Winds on behalf of catmanron. where is that fellow??
his most recent posting was on 4/29/2008
No I lie it was 294/2008
29th of April
Whatever Edmonton itself is a
city I passed quickly through after enjoyng a 24 hour break down the line in Jasper

CNR Diesel Locomotive 6782 at rest in Jasper station after bringing my family from Vancouver on Friday 22 July 1966 (en route back to Montreal) Almost the last photo taken on that 35mm camera that I dropped the next day down into the inaccessible Maligne Canyon

(I wonder if anybody ever found it-I successfully claimed against my UK issued household contents insurance policy)
Regarding Char's Calgary report resurection (to attach a batch of unidentified pix)
yes well the problem remains that with the stupid non display of the attachment thumbnails , unless the image bears a descriptive filename it is anyone's guess what a particular attachment is without opening it.
I duly went through this latestb anonymouse collection uploaded by Char and found that I had to lean over to see the final one

I did a quick google for image rotation freeware and tried several online free utilities to no good effect then finally tried Rotation Pilot from
http://rotation-pilot.en.softonic.com/
and had soon rotated the original then quickly edited it using Microsoft Paint to produce an easier to view better angled cropped image which I then copied to the free onedrive cloud
storage folder on my hard drive and found the uploaded synchronised copy after signing in to my account on
https://onedrive.live.com/
I could then open the (original) image there and grab its URL

I am in the midst of devising instructions for such cloud storage use
Just in case the onedrive image fails to display click the direct link below
https://nwqwvq-dm2305.files.1drv.com...+and+char3.jpg

I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 03-10-2015 at 12:55 PM.