banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-09-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Big Blue

These two songs seem to be about the same woman. Does anyone know if they are? The positioning of them on the album works very well. At first, he's really heartbroken and despondent and then he's angry and bitter, giving her the, "good riddance!" boot.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:51 PM   #2
kid from cabbagetown

I wouldn't attempt to put actual meaning regarding actual people in all of his songs. A friend of mine Rick Haynes once who "Anne" was from "Carefree Highway." Rick replied that while Carefree Highway is a road outside of Pheonix, Anne wasn't anybody other than a name that phonetically seemed to fit...

I think Ribbon of Darkness was an attempt to write a song in the mold of Marty Robbins, who ended up recording it. I never thought "Oh LInda" was that great--even Gord himself views certain songs as filler...While certain pieces are clearly the work of genius (like, in my opinion--the entire album "Summer Side of Life") Gord had some bad creative days..."Daisy Doo" for example...
kid from cabbagetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
kid from cabbagetown

A friend of mine ASKED Rick Haynes, that is...I've met Rick but don't know him...
Old 11-10-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
LSH

well, I like Oh, Linda..I love that he is singing acapella, kinda bluesy...yeah baby. simplistic lyrics, but that's not the draw anyway....
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:09 PM   #5
kid from cabbagetown

I'm not saying "Oh Linda" was awful or anything--I just don't think it was one of his best or most profound efforts--

It's LIGHT Years beyond, say, Dan Hill's "Sometimes When We Touch" which is, in my opinion, a crime against nature...
Old 11-11-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
djb

Dan's crime is not nearly as bad as Debby Boone's "You Light Up Myyyyy-ah-yyyyyyy Liiiiiiiiife".

[This message has been edited by djb (edited November 11, 2004).]