banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
HockeyDad

Default New fan.

For whatever reason, I was struck emotionally listening to "If You Could Read My Mind" on Youtube about a month ago. I have listened to it many, many times since and had not been able to listen without "choking up" until just recently. I don't know what hit me so hard, but obviously Mr. Lightfoot somehow struck a chord in me. What has come of it is that I have realized how much my loved ones mean to me. My wife and my 4 children are so much more precious to me. I wish I could say thank you to Gordon because of it, but I'm sure he has heard many things from many fans over the years, I wouldn't be but a drop in the sea.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.
HockeyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

Default Re: New fan.

Welcome, HockeyDad - you have lots of company here. Hope you get to enjoy the decades' worth of Gord's music; there are so many gems among them.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
DawnsMinstrel

Hello HockeyDad, and thanks for writing. I first heard that song almost 40 years ago as a young child and have been hooked ever since. I'm so pleased to know that this music can still move people the way it has moved me. You have some wonderful music to explore. Enjoy!
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
HockeyDad

Thank you folks for such a kind welcome.

I heard Gordon Lightfoot music at least 40 years ago as well but it never really caught on with me for some reason. I was more of a rock guy back then but now I can see that Gordon has fine lyrics to go with his wonderful songs. When I listened to rock I never had a clue what they were saying and didn't care. I liked the beat and the electric guitar. Gordon's music actually captures moods or emotions or something like that it seems. He really has a nack for it. I was never into that when I was younger (in early fifties now).

Thank you for your kind words.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
HockeyDad

Hey Dawnsminstrel,

Nice job on the Lightfoot tunes! I listened to "If You Could Read My Mind" and "I Heard You Talking in Your Sleep". Both those songs have captured the sadness that would accompany such things as is sung about. Lightfoot has that ability to put the emotion into the lyrics and the melody. It's quite remarkable actually.

Regards
Old 12-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
charlene

ya know what...send a note off to Gordon...tell him what you said here..
He may not respond but he'll appreciate it..he's that kinda guy.. he called me..he called David Newland to say thanks for the birthday site..he's a thankful guy...
Here's hoping you're a Leafs fan...
lol
char
early 50's too...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
HockeyDad

I would send him a note, but I have no idea how to go about that. You let me know and I will.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
charlene

G.Lightfoot
c/o
Early Morning Productions
1365 Yonge St. #207
TORONTO, Ontario
CANADA
M4T 2P7
Old 12-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #9
HockeyDad

Boy you are some busy directing all us members! Thank you.

I saw in the "interview" Gordon is not a computer guy but he should get to be. I could just email him. I guess he'd get swamped though if he had email.

I am a Leafs fan. I am more of a hockey fan of my kids though. One has retired from hockey and 3 still play. I see a lot of live hockey and I still play myself. I love it!

Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
charlene

Are you a Toronto guy?
Have you been patient and suffered as Gord and I have waiting for the Leafs to win the cup again?
lol
not to mention the Jays.. we've been waiting for them to win something again too..

You're welcome.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
DawnsMinstrel

Hello again HockeyDad! Thanks for the kind words. Lightfoot through his music, taught me how to play. Best wishes -DM
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDad View Post
For whatever reason, I was struck emotionally listening to "If You Could Read My Mind" on Youtube about a month ago. I have listened to it many, many times since and had not been able to listen without "choking up" until just recently. I don't know what hit me so hard, but obviously Mr. Lightfoot somehow struck a chord in me. What has come of it is that I have realized how much my loved ones mean to me. My wife and my 4 children are so much more precious to me. I wish I could say thank you to Gordon because of it, but I'm sure he has heard many things from many fans over the years, I wouldn't be but a drop in the sea.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.
Greetings there! ANd a very Merry christmas to you & all in your house! I've always enjoyed his music as far back as I can clearly remember that it was him I was listening to. Like you, there was much of his music that would just reach down into my heart & soul, and to this day it hasn't let loose. However, the fact that his music spoke so strongly to me from my earliest days let me know that his music was one of the most wonderful gifts ever given to us. So if you ever get a chance to attend one of his concerts, then by all means go. It's one of the most fantastic experiences you will ever have.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #13
HockeyDad

To Charlene: Thank you very much again. I am not a Toronto guy, I am a Hamilton guy, but I am waiting for the Leafs to get good. They had a great year with Dougy Gilmour when they played Wayne Gretsky in the conference finals. Now they are trying to build a team with young players and I think that is the way to go. If they stay with this, they will get good. You have a Merry Christmas!

To DawnsMinstrel: Nice talking to you and keep playing Gordon's music. You sound real good and who knows maybe you'll start writing too! Have a Merry Christmas.

To Timetraveler: Thank you for your kind words. It is so interesting to hear the experiences of others with Lightfoot music. If I get a chance I will go hear him. My uncle was at least at one time a huge fan of Gordie Lightfoot. I'm not sure if he still is, he is just about the same age as Gord (about 17 years older than me). You have a Merry Christmas too.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
charlene

then DON'T reply john.
what part of the fact that the posters don't check back don't you understand.?
you have posted twice today about things. I am BUSY with MY life and I have asked MANY times for people to NOT reply or suggest to me here or in PM;'s or e-mails to remove spam etc. I removed a dozen or more today that no one even saw. please STOP this nattering.
this is more annoying than the spam.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #15
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
then DON'T reply john.
what part of the fact that the posters don't check back don't you understand.?
you have posted twice today about things. I am BUSY with MY life and I have asked MANY times for people to NOT reply or suggest to me here or in PM;'s or e-mails to remove spam etc. I removed a dozen or more today that no one even saw. please STOP this nattering.
this is more annoying than the spam.
OK I have deleted my natterings and am pleased to see that the offending postings have also been deleted. Thank you
I will be a good boy in future

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #16
RM

For those interested........you can also make the spam invisible by logging in, clicking on 'User CP' (short for Control Panel), selecting 'Edit Ignore List', enter all offending posters screen names (adding to or removing from the list at anytime), and clicking 'Okay'. The garbage is then hidden.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
For those interested........you can also make the spam invisible by logging in, clicking on 'User CP' (short for Control Panel), selecting 'Edit Ignore List', enter all offending posters screen names (adding to or removing from the list at anytime), and clicking 'Okay'. The garbage is then hidden.
yeah - what he said..
Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
HockeyDad

The conversation about spam must have been from a different post.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
charlene

I've lost track of where it is..
lol

spam is deleted as best as possible in a timely manner.
otherwise just ignore it..
thanks..
char
Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #20
timetraveler

Yeah, that spam crud can get on a persons last nerve. I just delete the mess & carry on with my business.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
HockeyDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
ya know what...send a note off to Gordon...tell him what you said here..
He may not respond but he'll appreciate it..he's that kinda guy.. he called me..he called David Newland to say thanks for the birthday site..he's a thankful guy...
Here's hoping you're a Leafs fan...
lol
char
early 50's too...
I finally wrote to Gordon a couple of weeks ago, as you suggested. I don't expect to hear back, but at least he knows he's appreciated by one more person.

Take care.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #22
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDad View Post
I finally wrote to Gordon a couple of weeks ago, as you suggested. I don't expect to hear back, but at least he knows he's appreciated by one more person.

Take care.
good stuff.!

GO CUJO GO!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #23
HockeyDad

I just watched the Youtube of Gordie singing the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It is a very good performance. Here is the link if anyone wants to listen to it.

Gordon Lightfoot has a very unique talent. I wish I would have appreciated him more for longer and I hope the Good Lord keeps him with us for a good long time yet. And all the better if he can continue to perform for a long time to come too.

All the best everyone.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #24
jj

hockey dad, there must be many Chapters (or Walmarts or HMVs, etc) in Hamilton...you can get that performance as well as the rest of the Reno concert in clear DVD format or have it mailed to you with no border/customs hassles at:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/dvd/Go...2726-item.html

enjoy, all the best to you and yours also
jj is offline   Reply With Quote