banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #776
geodeticman.5

Default Re: GL Lyrics fan(atics) fun quizzers and more !

UPDATE AS OF 3:45 pm., Mtn Std Time, Sun., Jan 25, '09

Thanks for playing, everybody. Missed a few familar faces (er..names), but glad to to see some return and some new ones continue with us.

The Ronster brought in home that straggler - Q278 !

We're done with this set. I hope to have the next set up ASAP this afternoon ! I've got a run to make into town before 5, but I may get the next
ten up before I go; not sure.

BIG 'X' As you'll recall, indicates that the given clue is won and done.
================================================== ========

Q276 .... chapter .... - X Joveski gets it with 'Ecstasy Made Easy'

Q277 .... allready .... - X Lynn gets it with 'Never Say Trust Me'

Q278 .... shine in -X Ron M. gets it with 'Baby its Allright'

Q279 .... secret -X formerlyLavender gets it with 'Talking in Your Sleep'

Q280 .... classify.... -X Ron M. gets it with 'You Just Gotta Be'

Q281 .... smilin' - -X Ron M. gets it with 'Christian Island (Georgian Bay)'

Q282 .... three .... - X Lynn gets it with 'Biscuit City'

Q283 I'm only .... - X Oh,Linda! gets it with 'Affair On 8th Avenue'

Q284 She'll guide .... X Jenney gets it with 'Mother of a Miner's Child'

Q285 Heading .... X Joveski gets it with 'River of Light'

All songs written by Gordon Lightfoot .

Thats it ! All ten done. Will post next 10 ASAP....Thank you guys
Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #777
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
The Ronster brought in home that straggler - Q278 !
geosteve, that quip made me laugh. "Ronster" used to be my moniker when I played a lot of pick-up basketball. I had a wicked jump shot.

Get back to work.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #778
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
geosteve, that quip made me laugh. "Ronster" used to be my moniker when I played a lot of pick-up basketball. I had a wicked jump shot.

Get back to work.
....LOL...... oh-boy! .... a chance for me to blabberty ! I was a second-string 3-street subdivision driveway basketball player.My Dad put a major nice-looking backboard up on the garage for me, but we quickly learned the poor materials choice by Acme backboards, who had some genius apply particleboard for 'the board' . First substantial rain came up, and it swelled from the commonly thickest PB available of 3/4", to an unbelievable, roughly 1 and 3/4 inches thick. I sh88 you not.

Dad did a tiger team analyses of the project failure, and replaced the inane PB with 3/4 ACX Plywood, and Spar-Varnished it including edges, then steel-wooled the dry varnish, then painted it all white, 'cept the orange lines around the hoop. The metal and support frame was fine. Once back-up, the board lasted 8 years that way until we moved to Colorado, and on many subsequent trips back as an adult to old friends weddings, etc., it was still hanging in their !

I had a killer left hook (as a lefty). Visiting 'away' teams.. - friends from the two subdivisions across the main drag from us... - took a few games to catch on to me as a lefty with my trick; after they picked up on it they'd smash my face typically to smithereens. Gotta look that word up.

My mom would then wearily drive me to the optician about once every two weeks with glasses in major nerd first-aid shape: - the band-aid - latex - stretched around the arm connection to the front frame....every time. The optician groaned every time he saw me until he finaly asked 'son, are you getting beat up by the same guy with same roundhouse to your left side or something ?' and I admitted - no, it was just basketball. He then explained the manly value of that endeavour to my mother so I was finally off the hook, so to speak. ......

& re: the admonishment to get back to work: yes sir! ..lol working on the next ten as we speak, sir.

Speaking of various nickname versions, a person's got to be careful to 'know the person well enough' - on line anyway, and have a feel for their sense of humour.

You know I take awhile to learn that with everyone ! I do believe I have a handle on yours now, Mr. Ronerator. You likey that one GI ? Or Ronster better, or Ron, or just me shut up and call you RM.....
.................... many haha !

back to work on the ten........
Old 01-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #779
geodeticman.5

HERE ARE TEN NEW CLUES FOR 8:17 pm.,Sun.,JAN 25th, 2009

That last ten went in two bursts of about 5 at a time, one day apart. We are running close to one error in 20 questions now, submission-wise, not that it matters, its all just for fun anyway; but the band of regulars +/- 1 -2 each time, are getting so good you guys are frightening. One word from the song......BAM someone gets it. I am in awe (really) of all of your knowledge.

Infact, its getting tough to challenge you guys in the regular '20 albums' , w/o resorting to terrible clues immensely ambiguous like 'the' or 'She' . I won't do that to you guys, but bare with me as I carefully gauge a word as identifable to the song especially if someone likes it a lot, but takes some pondering still....I'm working on it

Its nice to have Lynn from 4LaneStudios playing fairly regular, a welcome addition with a head full or lyrics I'd imagine from the work !

I'm still wondering if jj is taking a sabbatical up in the Shea-o-Lynn Lightfoot Lyrics Temple !

Hope you like the new ten.

All songs can be found in Lightfoot.ca under Lyrics/Chords.

Again, this set there will be NO OLDIES, NO pre '65,NO pre UA songs at all. Stated otherwise, all songs are from the 'classic 20' albums. No story clues, no rarities, only the songs we ALL know

Have fun !

Q286 This here ....

Q287 .... Milwaukee, .... (note the comma)

Q288 .... a sin ....

Q289 .... be cool ....

Q290 .... other's eyes

Q291 .... games

Q292 .... forgotten

Q293 .... adieu

Q294 Longest ....

Q295 Ribbon ....

All songs written by Gordon Lightfoot.

Enjoy !

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 01-26-2009 at 06:48 AM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #780
4LaneStudios

Q286 This here ....
Tattoo
"This here tattoo is for you"

Q290 .... other's eyes ....
Leaves of Grass
"If people could look into each other's eyes"

Q295 Ribbon ....
Ribbon of Darkness
"Ribbon of darkness over me"

Ribbon of Darkness is one of my vistories, Leaves of Grass is one of my top fav's that Tj did, and Tattoo is on my short list of what just might be my next one! Are you reading my mind Steve?? lol Back to my iPod -- or is that GordPod?? lol ~~ Lynn
4LaneStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #781
4LaneStudios

I just spotted another one (another of my vistories).

292 .... forgotten
The Last Time I Saw Her
"Beneath a battered marking stone
it lies forgotten"

I'm going now... ~~ Lynn
Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #782
Jenney

He was raised up in Milwaukee,
Ten Degrees and Getting Colder
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 AM   #783
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LaneStudios View Post
Q286 This here ....
Tattoo
Q290 .... other's eyes ....
Leaves of Grass
"If people could look into each other's eyes"
Q295 Ribbon ....
Ribbon of Darkness
"Ribbon of darkness over me"

Ribbon of Darkness is one of my vistories, Leaves of Grass is one of my top fav's that Tj did, and Tattoo is on my short list of what just might be my next one! Are you reading my mind Steve?? lol Back to my iPod -- or is that GordPod?? lol ~~ Lynn
Lynn....you are exhibiting classic symptoms of clinical paranoia.....I am not reading your mind.....I AM reading your mind...... Do you know when these feelings of paranoia started ? - a major life event maybe ? .... you are going to give me all your money, real estate, chattels, corporeal and incorporeal hereditaments and you will realize none of this has happened, or connect me in any way with it......SO - I wouldn't let this coincidence on the three songs corrolating with the planned vistories bother you at all... its totally a spurious corrolation....and as far as the next vistory YOU are going to do, I'm sure you'd have a great time doing Tattoo.

Its one of his overlooked top-40 possibilities from that album IMO, and a soaring vocal and acoustic gem from the album most fans consider a 'cloaked' and underestimated classic, along with 'Whispers of the North'. In Tattoo, the vistory could be great what with the references to 'deep canyons' and.
.....you're next vistory will be the one of mine in the que of requests that seemed to be moving closer and closer to the top of the list - 'Is There Anyone Home'...one of Gordon's best ethereal songs in his own words..and one of my 3 most favourite songs... you will do it next..... you will do it next.....you will remember none of the small white subliminal verbage in your conscious mind, but will do these things none the less.... - I am only joking..end of joke here.......(ahem) what were we saying ? -'through the green meadows, goodnight' - many topographic references that maybe some footage of a fly-over of verdant vallies and lush green meadows would be really cool....you bet that would be great actually for your next one as you said, maybe , huh ? I'm really very happy you guys are continuing vigorously with your tribute work, despite the demoralizing matters you have no need of me bringing up while you're having fun here (I hope ..lol).

Oh, also, - you have yet to fully withstand the loquacious, and long-winded excesses I fall into ......lol...... Actually - it is QUITE a coincidence those three songs versus your colleagues' and your likely next choices were to be found in the board of 10 new ones !. Joking aside, Tattoo would be a magnificent song to immortalize in vistory... - in a complimentary fashion to the allready immortalized body of Gord's work he has 'penned and performed for posterity' - I just coined that phrase....any money in it for me ? lol. As far as the actual coincidence you mentioned, well... maybe write it off to serendipity, or as a friend once said 'prescience'. Ok back to biz - 'tseeer:

submit #1:

Q286 This here ....
Tattoo
----Tattoo is the intended song and absolutely correct -

submit #2:

Q290 .... other's eyes [....]- error (oops - I've just noticed an error in my dots...in my notes they terminate correctly as do 'other's eyes' at end of verse. I will correct the dots in the X-files to avoid confusion - kudos for still getting it ! - the clue should read Q290.... other's eyes - no dots after eyes, as the verse ends there.) SO - .........

Leaves of Grass is correct ! - please forgive my error on dots - I pride myself in few and far between errors on these - as people get marked right or wrong by them on ambiguous songs that could work or not... yikes...lol

submit #3:

Quote:
Q295 Ribbon ....
(clue is actually Q295 Rain ....., but the song name is what counts to win it, so no worries - - especially since I screwed-up Q290's dots)
Ribbon of Darkness is absolutely correct ! a Trifecta Lynn !

( as long as we are both ingratiatingly forgiving in our mutual errors to one another in this post, perhaps no one else will notice I screwed up in the dots on the opening board of ten....lol lol)

I'll post your winnings in the X-files !
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #784
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LaneStudios View Post
I just spotted another one (another of my vistories).

292 .... forgotten
The Last Time I Saw Her
it lies forgotten"

I'm going now... ~~ Lynn
Q292 .... forgotten
The Last Time I Saw Her - is absolutely correct ! what do you call a trifecta that becomes a quad-fecta er... ? lol... dunno - but you got it !

As a courtesy to all those who have allready listened to me pour my heart out over Merry many times in here, or those who wish to skip it for whatever reason, its cool; just skip down to the ole 'BACK TO BIZ' and you'll miss nothing of game consequence.

it lies forgotten" -
Lynn, the following speaks to how powerful the emotional content in your guys' vistories is, and out of courtesy, I would not ask any of you now to "suffer the loss of thy neighbor" as I did so much in the past. But, should you choose to: Oh man does that song and the vistory too, bring back hard memories. Take that as a compliment Lynn, as all references too them that I make where I speak of them eliciting difficult emotions - that speaks so well for them as mediums of emotional and artistic expression; both joyful and sorrowful, as is life, and so should any effective attempt to render the depth and breadth of the emotions in life in any way - as you folks have done so well.

And the visuals - the way the Black & White, or rather- absence of color, zero saturation, like in the forest where there is a flowering pink bush surrounded by lush greenery starts with no color, then saturation is smoothly cranked up and the color bursts forth - very effective technique with many a metaphor. Once again I find myself atempting to convey that I am not being gratuitous or disingenuous in any way when I go on about how....GOOD the vistories are.

The way they are sweet w/o being saccharin, and not convey despare w/o also hope, darkness w/o light. I easily have been able to sit and watch them, transfixed for an hour or more, on both songs I love, and songs that I like -not as much- together. The vistories might be a hard subject for you now Lynn, with the outside influences possibly pulling back like a tump line. If so, I apologize. But you speak of them with happiness and enthusiasm, so I don't think I'm loading salt with the buckshot unintentionaly.

Actually - the memories are not yet obscured with the haze that time heals hard memories with- still mourning the loss of my wife, though I try to not trivialize it by mentioning it too much in here, the way I did in months past. I also find it interesting that I am remembering more and more through rose color glasses, inferring nothing negative - just normal life, through those lenses as I file them away it seems. Not every memory can be staggeringly beautiful, but those rose lenses gently make it seem so.

This group of people in corfid is remarkably like a family in many ways, (good days and bad days, ups and downs, but GOOD people as a norm) - and boy did I need the soothing balm of family, listening to me go on and on about Merry's passing, which even self-deprecating ole' me (usually) looking back would say was perfectly normal - this whole group - all of corfid - seemed like 2000 people I could cry my heart out to in words. In fact- it was too excess as I look back at posts about 5 - 9 months old.

My somehow managing to bring it up in almost every thread for awhile I did not try or intend to, and in retrospect it bummed-out many a happy thread until I entered, and something made me think of Merry passing, I'd post, and blab blab on I went. Commonly, mine was the last post. I called myself the thread-killer for awhile, under my breath, as I NEVER joked about my loss of Merry, nor will I now, it still seems disrespecful, and I was both overly bellicose and circumspect about how I spoke of it (the loss); and how others did too, to the point of being almost impolite.

Understandable maybe, but acceptable I think only if I recognize in hindsight that I was doing that to excess, however necessary (it was) - just as every seemingly friendly ear was through the first 6 months - all the poor check-out people, neighbors, colleagues, and my friends here in town and within driving distance, or, a free long-distance cell call away - I bent their patient ears as I did in here, with nary a complaint, from anyone..., well, except sorta one.. but no matter that, I had it coming. My P.C.P. Doc said it was necessary to talk until I was blue in the face - or my patient friends et al were.....part of the process.

And even though I am ostensibly 'looking back on talking about it too much, as was needed, in fact, I am now ! So forgive me please and I'll get back to biz. One last thought - an old friend I spoke too in Ohio on the phone about it last weekend- she told me my doc's S.W.A.G. estimate of 2 -3 years was shy....she told me from family experience and some friends, she saw it take as much as 10 years, and that was not a skew, but closer to a modal. Wow, long time.... I hope its not as hard as its been over the last 9 months for 10 years.. Logically, it would ease up a little each year.. Sorry, again.

Lynn I'd watch that vistory over and over, and each time I'd flood my desk with tears; I'm not embarrassed to say. Take that as a compliment though, because that tells me that as much emotion as it still elicits speaks well of the care and emotion embedded in it. Otherwise stated - well done vistory.

Well - BACK TO BIZ

Q292 .... forgotten = The Last Time I Saw Her is correct, and I'll post it with the others !
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 AM   #785
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenney View Post

He was raised up in Milwaukee,
Ten Degrees and Getting Colder
Q287 Ten Degrees and Getting Colder absolutely correct ! You got it. And this one I did not bollox-up with the ambiguous statement on the smilin' vs smiling conveying lax on the positional aspect, too. My goof.

Thanks for playing again ! I'll post this with the others over head from today.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #786
geodeticman.5

UPDATE AS OF 3:45 am., Mtn Std Time, Mon., Jan 26, '09

5 down; 5 to go ! Smooooth sailing

Lynn bags 4 from 4LaneStudios; and Jenney nails 1 as well !

Lynn had a few vistories up the sleeve me thinks !

BIG 'X' As you'll recall, indicates that the given clue is won and done.

Q286 This here .... - X Lynn gets it with 'Tattoo'

Q287 .... Milwaukee, .... - X Jenney gets it with '10 Degrees and Getting Colder'

Q288 .... a sin .... - REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q289 .... be cool .... - REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q290 .... other's eyes -X Lynn gets it with 'Leaves of Grass

Q291 .... games - REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q292 .... forgotten -X Lynn gets it with 'The Last Time I Saw Her'

Q293 .... adieu - REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q294 Longest .... REMAINS UNANSWERED

Q295 Rain .... X Lynn gets it with 'Ribbon of Darkness'

All songs written by Gordon Lightfoot .

5 down, and 5 to go

As always, Thanks for playing you guys
Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #787
formerlylavender

Q294 - Longest...
On Yonge Street
"Longest street in the world they say"
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #788
RM

Q288 ...a sin.....

Song : Blackberry Wine

Lyric : Pass it on over it's a sin to be sober too long

Amen.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #789
mandoann

Q291 .... games - REMAINS UNANSWERED

Would that be The Lost Children:

All their games are ended now...

Ann

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #790
mandoann

uh-oh maybe not....

It has to be at the end of the line, doesn't it?

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #791
mandoann

I'll try again on Q #291

Song: Did She Mention My Name

Lyric: Is the home team still on fire, do they still win all their games

Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #792
joveski

> Q293 .... adieu

it could be the Seabird song, but i take it's not

http://www.lightfoot.ca/seabird.htm

"To the earthbound children I say adieu"
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #793
4LaneStudios

I always liked this one. There's such a relaxed, easy feel to it. And it played twice today on my "GordPod".

Q298 .... be cool ....
Saturday Clothes
"But I'll be cool because I don't believe"

Now, why do I have my wallet and mortgage documents with me?? lol

~~ Lynn
Old 01-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #794
mandoann

Gordpod? Would that be an ipod with nothing but GL's music on it, Lynn?

If so, now I know what to call mine!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #795
4LaneStudios

That's exactly what it is Ann! I had a few other favorites there too, but moved them to another mp3 player so it's now my "GordPod".

~~ Lynn
Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #796
geodeticman.5

Hi guys 7:00 Mtn STD TIME HERE TUES. NIGHT AND WORKING ON YOUR INPUT. I SHOULD HAVE THEM ANSWERED IN AWHILE; A QUICK SCAN SAYS ALL INPUT WAS CORRECT (AFTER YOUR 2ND TRY MANDOANN ) , LEAVING ONLY ADIEU ON Q293. WE ARE REAL CLOSE TO A NEW SET OF TEN TONIGHT ! I'LL WRAP THESE UP ASAP. MENDE - Q293 I DUNNO IF ITS IN SKYBIRD, ALL I KNOW IS ITS IN "THE 20 ALBUMS", QUITE RECENT IN ALBUM TERMS HINT HINT THANKS FOR ALL YOU WORK. MID-EVE MY TIME A NEW STATUS BOARD SHOULD BE UP, CAN ANYONE NAIL Q293 ? Mende ?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #797
charlene

Q293 - ...adieu
Song - Broken Dreams
Lyric -
There's an ocean I have found
I'd like to sail the world around
And dream about the life I hope I'll find
Now that I must say adieu
To love's returns, I'm telling you
When freedom comes what can a person do
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #798
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Q293 - ...adieu
Song - Broken Dreams
Lyric -
There's an ocean I have found
I'd like to sail the world around
And dream about the life I hope I'll find
Now that I must say adieu
To love's returns, I'm telling you
When freedom comes what can a person do
Absolutely correct Char - thank you for wrapping up Q293.

Q293 - Broken Dreams - roger that, Houston.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #799
geodeticman.5

Hi guys ! 8:08 here Mtn Std time Wednesday evening; what say I for-go the traditional response in short to the remaning five clues you guys all aced, in favor of me posting the new set of ten. Knowing all recent posts since the last BIG-X status board was posted were correct, I figure you'd rather I get the new ten clues up sooner than post the rhetorical final status board right now, having ascertained that all submissions were correct, including your 2nd shot MandoAnn, you guys nailed the last five ! Oh and BTW- that all-yellow post I made last night is atrocious to try and read; sorry about that.

From now on, yellow will be reserved for the BIG-X, and essential game info necessary to know for play. As in, if in doubt - just read the yellow to know where we are at !. That said - I'll wrap up the new ten clues right now, and if anyone wants to see a final status BIG-X board - I'll be happy to post it ! I should have the new clues up by 8:45 Mtn Std. 2 hours earlier than Eastern Time. See you then !
Old 01-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #800
geodeticman.5

HERE ARE TEN NEW CLUES FOR 9:05 pm.,Wed.,JAN 28, 2009 !

You guys are getting so good, its a challenge to challenge you !

Nice to see some past players playing again; missed ya, and we have a couple
real regulars on sabbatical; engaged in other interests for awhile, it all balances out. Just when I think interest is flagging enough that I should give the thread a rest for a month or so, BAM ! a new set of ten is nailed in 4 hours with players I have not seen for awhile ! Its the butterfly in Peking setting off a series of events that wind up causing a new blast of fast play, - chaos theory in action; then a slow time. I've learned to never think people are truly done playing and having fun; at least for the time being !
Thank you so much, I hope you have as much fun as I do !

Hope you like the new ten.

All songs can be found in Lightfoot.ca under Lyrics/Chords.

Again, this set there will be NO OLDIES, NO pre '65,NO pre UA songs at all. Stated otherwise, all songs are from the 'classic 20' albums. No story clues, no rarities, only the songs we ALL know

Have fun !

Q296 .... Chinook ....

Q297 .... might say ....

Q298 .... dirt runs ....

Q299 Don't lose....

Q300 .... world outside

Q301 .... Niagara ....

Q302 .... feeling bad

Q303 The beauty ....

Q304 Lying warm ....

Q305 .... rainbow ride