banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
bjb

Don't you love how the speakers play with you on that line

when the sheriff was there...

they were over here....

Seems like this should be a soundtrack to a movie

[This message has been edited by bjb (edited October 14, 2004).]
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Borderstone

Actually,it would have made a cool theme song to a Robin Hood related sitcom from the late 1970s called "When Things Were Rotten"!
It didn't last long but most of it was hilarious! "..Minstrel Sang" is a good song once you get used to it too. Later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:49 AM   #3
jj

that is cute, bjb, can't say i noticed before
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
LSH

jj, as picky as you are about sound, I cannot believe you didn't notice before....
even I knew that..lmao
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
jj

lol, well you'll love this honesty even more then (confessions of a GL junkie)...i should have said 'can't say that i noticed that TUNE before either', mainly 'cos i don't have the EW album...shock and awe!...as i recall back in the hazy 70's, i wasn't overly taken back by it, was on tight budget and was self-absorbed into personal attempts at creativity so was not doing alot of listening anyhow ...anyhow, i remember being disappointed with the rerecording of the Cirlce is Small on there also, i love the original and was actually stunned the new version was on Songbook, hmmm, GL didn't put many EW tunes on Songbook for me so i really should get the album on CD someday, i do know a have it on a tape somewhere in the archive madness

to get even more longwinded, lol, i have heard the album and tune several times although years ago mostly at a distance up in cottage country but also at my bro's apt, it's just that it's not really a great place to hear R/L channel separation....the speakers are basically side by side, lol...yeah, the circle and the apt is small

ps) anyhow, you know more than you think, kiddo
Old 10-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
jj

ok, i have re-listened to these tune and album again, yeah, i still don't love the album, mainly the instrumentation (Pee Wee), hmmm, too each their own... but If Children Had Wings sure is wonderful (did Peter Appleyard do session work for that one? )
Old 10-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #7
bjb

When I first started listening to East of Midnight, I had to get past some of the arrangements which I wasn't crazy about. Now EOM is one of my favorites! On EW I love Hangdog Hotel Room and If There's a Reason. It's definitely seems to have been a different phase in Gordon's life...
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
jj

i didn't mean to single out Pee Wee, one of my fave tunes is On the High Seas, all of it

i don't think sax and GL will ever be a good combo for me but hats off to some GL variety

ok, over the past 25 years i guess If There's a Reason has grown on me...probably cos of that Last date (Cramer) feel to it

Hangdog always had instant fun live appeal but as I said, ICHW is in another league for me

DJ Jamie said he always dug the EW album, eh
Old 10-31-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
charlene

I love most of the EW album-the sax etc. was a great break in tradition and I quite enjoyed the tunes played live at Massey....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote