banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
lazymorning

...is that consequently a lot of other music starts to sound like crap! Seriously, the more I listen to Gordon the more other artists seem flimsy in comparison. How is it lyrics that once seemed somewhat meaningful to me are now shallower than a kiddie pool?! And melodies that once intrigued me now pale in comparison to Gordons simplistic yet brilliant arrangements.

No doubt one of the factors for me is that a lot of the music of my generation has little substance to offer, and so now after discovering Lightfoot, the bar has been raised, so to speak.

I wonder, has anyone else experienced this phenomena??

[ July 23, 2006, 11:34: Message edited by: Jennifer ]
Old 07-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Jennifer

...is that consequently a lot of other music starts to sound like crap! Seriously, the more I listen to Gordon the more other artists seem flimsy in comparison. How is it lyrics that once seemed somewhat meaningful to me are now shallower than a kiddie pool?! And melodies that once intrigued me now pale in comparison to Gordons simplistic yet brilliant arrangements.

No doubt one of the factors for me is that a lot of the music of my generation has little substance to offer, and so now after discovering Lightfoot, the bar has been raised, so to speak.

[ July 23, 2006, 11:34: Message edited by: Jennifer ]
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
charlene

oh yeah Jennifer...it's been that way for me for 36 years.
other than Kris Kristofferson the other mainstay of the music in my life has been Lightfoot.
The best always remains so.....
Few artists have even come close - recently I found a few but it's always Lightfoot who they are measured against.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
charlene

other than Kris Kristofferson the other mainstay of the music in my life has been Lightfoot.
Few artists have even come close - recently I found a few but it's always Lightfoot who they are measured against.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Same here Jennifer. With most other Artists, after I listening to a few songs on a CD, I just have enough. It's either the same old stuff over and over again or it does hurt my ears and brain...
I never experienced that with Gordons music. I can listen to it for hours without being bored. But I also "discovered" him pretty late in my life, just a very few years ago but I'm so glad I did!!
Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Same here Jennifer. With most other Artists, after I listening to a few songs on a CD, I just have enough. It's either the same old stuff over and over again or it does hurt my ears and brain...
I never experienced that with Gordons music. I can listen to it for hours without being bored. But I also "discovered" him pretty late in my life, just a very few years ago but I'm so glad I did!!
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
New 12 String Mike

Jennifer,

Its so good that you have discovered Gord. He is one of the few folks whose music has remained fresh through the years. Few of his songs are so timely that they fade as times and tastes change.

He really has the knack for saying something, and playing something, that doesn't seem outdated.

Many of us, I'm sure, have had some of his song meanings "alter" a bit for us as we've grown older and our perspectives on life change, but we still listen and the songs stick with us.

I hope, and I know many others here join me, that his songs will do the same for you.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:

Not so with Johnny Cash. They're equally good.

What's good though is whenever I get that "burnout" on some of his songs (some of you on here never get burned out on music you've listened to for too long, and you're veeery very lucky), I listen to some of the lesser artists. After I get used to them, I start listening to Gord again, and it hits me how much better he is compared to those others.

Snoop Dogg, Young Jeezy, Scooter, and Floorian (there's actually a band with that name ) don't have a chance at comparing.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Gordon Lightfoot is in a class by himself. When he was asked in the mid 70's, "Why did you never move to the states, and become a Big Star, like so many other Canadians have done?"

Lightfoot replied, 'You know I never had the desire to become, like another Kenny Rogers.'

COOL, DUDE, MAGICAL, GENIUS, MAN...Jesse.

Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Jesse Joe

Gordon Lightfoot is in a class by himself. When he was asked in the mid 70's, "Why did you never move to the states, and become a Big Star, like so many other Canadians have done?"

Lightfoot replied, 'You know I never had the desire to become, like another Kenny Rogers.'

Old 07-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #11
Iron

Neither a leader or follower be
Neither a lender or borrower be
He chose His path and stuck to it.
What more can we say..
Old 07-23-2006, 06:48 PM   #12
talbot10

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
Kris is a darn good Actor too Charzo!
I really thought he was great in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" I love that 12 string Martin he played for years as well. A great artist all around!
Bill
Old 07-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #13
Wesley

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse -Joe:

I don't get that. Why didn't you move to the states?
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #14
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:

I don't get that. Why didn't you move to the states?
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
Daylight Matty

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:

I agree with you again Jen, I've caught myself comparing artists to him and very few live up to my expectations. I always read lyrics and look to see who wrote them. Did the singer write them or did they buy them. I believe there is a difference in an entertainer and an artist. I like artists that write and sing about their lives and experiences. Thats what I buy. In my opinion Gord is the best at painting a picture and telling a story in a way that many cannot but some of my other favorite singers/writers that I have grown to love are Elton John, Rod Stewart, Robert Smith (The Cure), Merle Haggard, Christopher Cross, John Bon Jovi, etc. I love all types as you can see but entertainers are not my cup of tea.
Daylight Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 AM   #16
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by Affair on Touhy Ave.:
quote:Originally posted by Jesse -Joe:

I don't get that. Why didn't you move to the states? [/QUOTE]I think there might be more than "that" which you're not getting here, Touhy. It wasn't Jesse-Joe or his not moving to the States that was commented on. Not that I quite understand the relevence to the topic, but Jesse-Joe was quoting a conversation between Lightfoot and some unknown individual about why Lightfoot never moved to the states (although, Jesse-Joe, if I'm not mistaken, Lightfoot did live here for some period of time years ago)
Old 07-24-2006, 04:39 AM   #17
Jesse Joe

Quote:

I don't get that. Why didn't you move to the states? [/QUOTE]
Old 07-24-2006, 04:39 AM   #18
Jesse Joe

Quote:

Old 07-24-2006, 04:40 AM   #19
Jesse Joe

Quote:

Old 07-24-2006, 04:40 AM   #20
Jesse Joe

Quote:

Old 07-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #21
Jesse Joe

Touhy Ave, I never moved to the states, because I never had to. I was born Canadian, and I am proud to be Canadian.

There was a time when Canadian Artist(signers), had to move to the states, in order to make it big.

More population I guess was the prime reason. There was just not enough people in Canada. Neil Young, once said. There's only so much places you can play in Canada. There's just not enough population. Goverment, with the CRTC,rules and regulation at that time, also had a role to play in it. Radio Stations in Canada were only allowed to play so much of Canadian content. Dont ask me to explain that one I dont know enough about it.

But artist like, Paul Anka, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, David Foster, and many more, too numerous to mentioned, all headed South in order for there careers to really flourished.

Gordon Lightfoot never did, he proved that you could make it big in the world, and remain at home.

Anne Murray was pressured so much, to move to the states, when her career got in motion, to become a Mega Star. But she also decide not too, after seeing that Gord had proven, you could stay at home, and still make it.

At some point in Canadian history, maybe around the 1900's, ordinary people that would leave Canada for a less strugling life, elsewhere in other country's like USA, were called deserters.

Today things have change somewhat. But for you people that never heard of this, you should do some searching, readings, on the country of Canada.

There are probably some people on this site that could explain this better than I did. Because I dont know everything there is to know about this subject. Not an expert, far from it.

Bottom line is, Gordon Lightfoot never had the desire to become a mega star like ,let's say Celine Dion, Paul Anka who did it his way.{LOL} eh! Charlene. Gordon would have made a lot more money had he chose that path, but maybe wouldn't be as happy. "That's a proud Canadian".

I can only speak for myself here, but that's one big reason why I like Gordon Lightfoot so much.

{Heart Of Gold,30 Years of Canadian Pop music by, Martin Melhuish}, would be a good book to read, it says a lot about this very subject.Why bands who had to move to the states. And lots more. Ronnie Hawkins did the exact opposite. And he for an American, pushes Canadian talent a lot.

I hope I shed a little light on this topic, but please feel free to ask some other Canadian Corfidians, who may be able to explain this better. Im sure they can...Jesse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Janice, I didn't want to leave you in the dark, but I can't recall Gordon Lightfoot ever living in the states. Not saying maybe for some months like a lots of canucks do in the winter time. Florida, to enjoy the better whether. But Im pretty sure he's not an American citizen. Not that theres anything wrong with that...Jesse

[ July 24, 2006, 06:09: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #22
Jesse Joe

Touhy Ave, I never moved to the states, because I never had to. I was born Canadian, and I am proud to be Canadian.

There was a time when Canadian Artist(signers), had to move to the states, in order to make it big.

More population I guess was the prime reason. There was just not enough people in Canada. Neil Young, once said. There's only so much places you can play in Canada. There's just not enough population. Goverment, with the CRTC,rules and regulation at that time, also had a role to play in it. Radio Stations in Canada were only allowed to play so much of Canadian content. Dont ask me to explain that one I dont know enough about it.

But artist like, Paul Anka, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, David Foster, and many more, too numerous to mentioned, all headed South in order for there careers to really flourished.

Gordon Lightfoot never did, he proved that you could make it big in the world, and remain at home.

Anne Murray was pressured so much, to move to the states, when her career got in motion, to become a Mega Star. But she also decide not too, after seeing that Gord had proven, you could stay at home, and still make it.

At some point in Canadian history, maybe around the 1900's, ordinary people that would leave Canada for a less strugling life, elsewhere in other country's like USA, were called deserters.

Today things have change somewhat. But for you people that never heard of this, you should do some searching, readings, on the country of Canada.

There are probably some people on this site that could explain this better than I did. Because I dont know everything there is to know about this subject. Not an expert, far from it.

Bottom line is, Gordon Lightfoot never had the desire to become a mega star like ,let's say Celine Dion, Paul Anka who did it his way.{LOL} eh! Charlene. Gordon would have made a lot more money had he chose that path, but maybe wouldn't be as happy. "That's a proud Canadian".

I can only speak for myself here, but that's one big reason why I like Gordon Lightfoot so much.

{Heart Of Gold,30 Years of Canadian Pop music by, Martin Melhuish}, would be a good book to read, it says a lot about this very subject.Why bands who had to move to the states. And lots more. Ronnie Hawkins did the exact opposite. And he for an American, pushes Canadian talent a lot.

I hope I shed a little light on this topic, but please feel free to ask some other Canadian Corfidians, who may be able to explain this better. Im sure they can...Jesse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Janice, I didn't want to leave you in the dark, but I can't recall Gordon Lightfoot ever living in the states. Not saying maybe for some months like a lots of canucks do in the winter time. Florida, to enjoy the better whether. But Im pretty sure he's not an American citizen. Not that theres anything wrong with that...Jesse

[ July 24, 2006, 06:09: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #23
Auburn Annie

Here's somebody who hasn't bothered to listen to Gord's music or lyrics. It's a combination rant against "dinosaurs" of the 60s and (mostly) 70s and their idiotic, if fun, lyrics - which carries over to today's "stars". Makes me wonder if the late Arthur Treacher had been cryogenically frozen and recently thawed; for you young'uns, Arthur was a film actor who largely played butlers and in his later years served as a sort of second banana to Merv Griffin [Google if necessary] on his talk show. He had a recurring feature in which he would solemnly recite - to great hilarity in the audience - the lyrics of pop songs.

Anyway....

KC, Sunshine Band, bad lyrics return
Sunday, July 23, 2006
By John Sinkevics
The Grand Rapids Press
To think these lyrics have stood the test of time:

"Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your booty! Shake your booty! Oh, shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your booty!"

Or revel in these classic lines (try reading them out loud for full effect):

"Oh, that's the way, I like it, that's the way, I like it, that's the way, I like it; Say OK, that's the way, that's the way, that's the way, I like it, that's the way, I like it; doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo"

Doo-doo, indeed, thus proving there really are good reasons for kids to get sooo embarrassed by stuff their parents grew up with.

So, it was with some horror, nearly choking on my morning bagel, that I discovered those guilty for unleashing these tunes, KC and the Sunshine Band, are back in the spotlight. I figured the giant discotheque in the sky had long ago swallowed Harry "KC" Casey along with his chest-revealing vests and skin-tight purple pants.

But there he was the other day, croaking out his '70s disco hits in New York on "The Today Show." I think I even saw some placard-waving folks in the crowd cheering, though they might have been screaming in agony, it was hard to tell.

Look, I know we all have -- and frantically try to hide -- our guilty-pleasure pop heroes, but KC and the Sunshine Band? What's next? A return to white belts and polyester leisure suits? His Web site proclaims proudly in misspelled fashion: "Shaking Bootys Since 73." I don't know about you, but I worry what 33 years of booty shaking has done to the digestive systems of KC's fans, not to mention the joists under their living room floors.

True, KC isn't the only act trying to relive old glories this summer and capitalize on baby boomers' nostalgic bent. The Who, older than dirt but more deaf, recently announced they'll tour again come September, joining other Jurassic Park escapees Chicago, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Deep Purple, Journey, Earth Wind and Fire, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, The James Gang, Jefferson Starship and Ringo Starr on the road. (What year is this, anyway? 1977?)

And oh yes, the '60s and '70s generated a bonanza of woeful lyrics to rival KC's fiasco-pieces. Neil Diamond gave the world: "I am, I said to no one there, and no one heard at all, not even the chair." Naturally, everyone cites the old stinker "Muskrat Love" ("Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam/Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land.")

But I'm relieved to report stupid lyrics aren't just a product of that bygone era: They span generations and genres, with record buyers and music downloaders currently and happily forking over millions to snag repetitive, trite, profane or downright moronic verses by the likes of R. Kelly, Eminem, Puddle of Mudd, Toby Keith and Limp Bizkit.

Take these brilliant lines from rapper Lil' Jon's "Snap Yo Fingers," a fast-rising hit and one of the few Lil' Jon songs with a title that can be printed in a family newspaper:

"Snap ya fingers and do ya step! And you can do it all by yo self! Let me see you do it! Ay! Let me see you do it! Ay! Snap ya fingers and then rock wit it; do it, do it, do it, gon drop wit it."

I think I'll pass, Jon.

Shakira's "Whenever, Wherever" is a smorgasbord of groaners: "We'll learn to be together/I'll be there and you'll be near/And that's the deal my dear."

For Shakira, finding rhymes clearly poses challenges, though it's pure genius compared with the sexist, tasteless chart-busters "Ms. New Booty" and "I Love My B*****," which I wouldn't recount here even if I could.

Then there's Yung Joc's "It's Goin' Down," which tops Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop charts despite incessant repetition and the need for bleeping: "Meet me in the trap, it's goin' down; meet me in the mall, it's goin' down; Meet me in the club, it's goin' down; anywhere you meet me, guaranteed to go down."

Hey, YC, meet me in the elevator, it's goin' down.

And all this gettin' down stuff makes the perfect segue right back into one of KC's big hits: "Get down, get down, get down, get down tonight baby."

Send e-mail to the author: jsinkevics@grpress.com
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #24
Auburn Annie

Here's somebody who hasn't bothered to listen to Gord's music or lyrics. It's a combination rant against "dinosaurs" of the 60s and (mostly) 70s and their idiotic, if fun, lyrics - which carries over to today's "stars". Makes me wonder if the late Arthur Treacher had been cryogenically frozen and recently thawed; for you young'uns, Arthur was a film actor who largely played butlers and in his later years served as a sort of second banana to Merv Griffin [Google if necessary] on his talk show. He had a recurring feature in which he would solemnly recite - to great hilarity in the audience - the lyrics of pop songs.

Anyway....

KC, Sunshine Band, bad lyrics return
Sunday, July 23, 2006
By John Sinkevics
The Grand Rapids Press
To think these lyrics have stood the test of time:

"Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your booty! Shake your booty! Oh, shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your booty!"

Or revel in these classic lines (try reading them out loud for full effect):

"Oh, that's the way, I like it, that's the way, I like it, that's the way, I like it; Say OK, that's the way, that's the way, that's the way, I like it, that's the way, I like it; doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo"

Doo-doo, indeed, thus proving there really are good reasons for kids to get sooo embarrassed by stuff their parents grew up with.

So, it was with some horror, nearly choking on my morning bagel, that I discovered those guilty for unleashing these tunes, KC and the Sunshine Band, are back in the spotlight. I figured the giant discotheque in the sky had long ago swallowed Harry "KC" Casey along with his chest-revealing vests and skin-tight purple pants.

But there he was the other day, croaking out his '70s disco hits in New York on "The Today Show." I think I even saw some placard-waving folks in the crowd cheering, though they might have been screaming in agony, it was hard to tell.

Look, I know we all have -- and frantically try to hide -- our guilty-pleasure pop heroes, but KC and the Sunshine Band? What's next? A return to white belts and polyester leisure suits? His Web site proclaims proudly in misspelled fashion: "Shaking Bootys Since 73." I don't know about you, but I worry what 33 years of booty shaking has done to the digestive systems of KC's fans, not to mention the joists under their living room floors.

True, KC isn't the only act trying to relive old glories this summer and capitalize on baby boomers' nostalgic bent. The Who, older than dirt but more deaf, recently announced they'll tour again come September, joining other Jurassic Park escapees Chicago, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Deep Purple, Journey, Earth Wind and Fire, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, The James Gang, Jefferson Starship and Ringo Starr on the road. (What year is this, anyway? 1977?)

And oh yes, the '60s and '70s generated a bonanza of woeful lyrics to rival KC's fiasco-pieces. Neil Diamond gave the world: "I am, I said to no one there, and no one heard at all, not even the chair." Naturally, everyone cites the old stinker "Muskrat Love" ("Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam/Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land.")

But I'm relieved to report stupid lyrics aren't just a product of that bygone era: They span generations and genres, with record buyers and music downloaders currently and happily forking over millions to snag repetitive, trite, profane or downright moronic verses by the likes of R. Kelly, Eminem, Puddle of Mudd, Toby Keith and Limp Bizkit.

Take these brilliant lines from rapper Lil' Jon's "Snap Yo Fingers," a fast-rising hit and one of the few Lil' Jon songs with a title that can be printed in a family newspaper:

"Snap ya fingers and do ya step! And you can do it all by yo self! Let me see you do it! Ay! Let me see you do it! Ay! Snap ya fingers and then rock wit it; do it, do it, do it, gon drop wit it."

I think I'll pass, Jon.

Shakira's "Whenever, Wherever" is a smorgasbord of groaners: "We'll learn to be together/I'll be there and you'll be near/And that's the deal my dear."

For Shakira, finding rhymes clearly poses challenges, though it's pure genius compared with the sexist, tasteless chart-busters "Ms. New Booty" and "I Love My B*****," which I wouldn't recount here even if I could.

Then there's Yung Joc's "It's Goin' Down," which tops Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop charts despite incessant repetition and the need for bleeping: "Meet me in the trap, it's goin' down; meet me in the mall, it's goin' down; Meet me in the club, it's goin' down; anywhere you meet me, guaranteed to go down."

Hey, YC, meet me in the elevator, it's goin' down.

And all this gettin' down stuff makes the perfect segue right back into one of KC's big hits: "Get down, get down, get down, get down tonight baby."

Send e-mail to the author: jsinkevics@grpress.com
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:01 AM   #25
Janice

Quote:
Janice, I didn't want to leave you in the dark, but I can't recall Gordon Lightfoot ever living in the states. Not saying maybe for some months like a lots of canucks do in the winter time. Florida, to enjoy the better whether. But Im pretty sure he's not an American citizen. Not that theres anything wrong with that...Jesse
From the "Biography" section of this web site:

"Biography from:
Encyclopedia of Popular Music Copyright Muze UK Ltd. 1989 - 1998
b. 17 November 1938, Orillia, Ontario, Canada. Lightfoot moved to Los Angeles during the 50s where he studied at Hollywood's Westlake College of Music. Having pursued a short-lived career composing jingles for television, the singer began recording demos of his own compositions which, by 1960, owed a considerable debt to folk singers Pete Seeger and Bob Gibson."

One does not have to be an American citizen to live in this country - there is a difference between living some place and being a citizen of said place (my step-mother has lived in the US for over 20 years and is still very much a Canadian citizen). You said Lightfoot never lived here and I merely pointed out that he did indeed live here - I'm sure he wasn't here for a substantial number of years, but it certainly sounds like it might have been more than just "a few months for better weather."