banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2003, 04:50 PM   #1
MatthewBullis

Hello, just wondering if anyone here is a fan of John Prine? I finally decided to listen to some audio samples and look him up, and I really enjoy him. I just bought two used cd's of his, the best of cd called Prine Prine, and the Missing Years cd. Just thought you'd like to check him out.
Thanks a lot.
Matthew
Old 01-01-2003, 04:50 PM   #2
MatthewBullis

Hello, just wondering if anyone here is a fan of John Prine? I finally decided to listen to some audio samples and look him up, and I really enjoy him. I just bought two used cd's of his, the best of cd called Prine Prine, and the Missing Years cd. Just thought you'd like to check him out.
Thanks a lot.
Matthew
Old 01-01-2003, 09:02 PM   #3
char

I too am a J.P. fan. I saw him in Toronto in the summer of 2001. He was touring with Lyle Lovett. It was awesome. He has fully recovered from his neck cancer and his voice is still full of emotion. The place went crazy for him.Lyle puts on a great show as well. I've seen him 4 times over the years and he is a very funny Texan besides a great entertainer!
lol
Mary Chapin Carpenter also performed. She's a wonderful lyricist and singer as well.. http://home.mchsi.com/~rburhead/2001...treviews10.htm

[This message has been edited by char (edited January 01, 2003).]
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:39 AM   #4
Bill

I picked up on Lightfoot in about 1975, and Prine by 1977. Prine's new work is as strong as any he's done. Saw him in Roanoke, VA last year...much better show than the drunken show when I first saw him at the EXIT/IN in Nashville in late 70s.

I heard "Ain't Hurtin' Nobody" on the radio while traveling and pulled into the first shopping mall I came to on the Interstate to buy the album right then...the only time I've done anything like that!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:41 AM   #5
Bill

Speaking of Lyle Lovett, I remember seeing him for the first time at Poor David's Pub in Dallas...he opened for Leo Kottke. He was struggling then and looked pretty average in dirty jeans and a sweater...he knocked everyone out with his songs.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:02 PM   #6
USA

Although I know very little about Lyle Lovett, apart from his Julia Roberts period. I did hear a song of his very recently on the radio.
I think it was called 'I've bought a boat' I grabbed my pencil and scribbled some lyrics down, which made me chuckle.
Here we go:
"Now the mystery masked man was smarter, he got himself a Tonto.
Cause Tonto did his dirty work for free.
But Tonto he was smarter,
and one day said 'kemosabe',
kiss my ass. I bought a boat,
I'm going out to sea'
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
notsocooldude

Although I know very little about Lyle Lovett, apart from his Julia Roberts period. I did hear a song of his very recently on the radio.
I think it was called 'I've bought a boat' I grabbed my pencil and scribbled some lyrics down, which made me chuckle.
Here we go:
"Now the mystery masked man was smarter, he got himself a Tonto.
Cause Tonto did his dirty work for free.
But Tonto he was smarter,
and one day said 'kemosabe',
kiss my ass. I bought a boat,
I'm going out to sea'
notsocooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 02:13 PM   #8
LizB

Had forgotten about Lyle Lovett touring with
Leo Kottke.....seemed like the "odd couple",
except for the fact that they are both
totally off the wall.

Was so interesting to hear Kottke's new
album "Clone" (what good timing ) together
with Phish's Mike Gordon.

First heard Leo Kottke 31 years ago.

------------------
lam
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 02:13 PM   #9
LAM3346E

Had forgotten about Lyle Lovett touring with
Leo Kottke.....seemed like the "odd couple",
except for the fact that they are both
totally off the wall.

Was so interesting to hear Kottke's new
album "Clone" (what good timing ) together
with Phish's Mike Gordon.

First heard Leo Kottke 31 years ago.

------------------
lam
LAM3346E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 02:31 PM   #10
char

I have been known to sing those lyrics when I'm feeling like the folks here are taking advantage of me. being Canadian tho, I say "arse" instead of "ass"!
LOL
Char
Lyle has a lot of great little liones in his stuff. his songs are always a surprise.
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:47 PM   #11
MatthewBullis

Did you mean audio samples of John Prine or Lyle Lovett? Either way, you'll find them at www.CDUniverse.com.
Thanks a lot.
Matthew
Old 01-02-2003, 07:47 PM   #12
MatthewBullis

Did you mean audio samples of John Prine or Lyle Lovett? Either way, you'll find them at www.CDUniverse.com.
Thanks a lot.
Matthew
Old 01-02-2003, 08:15 PM   #13
TheWatchman

Sorry Matthew, I meant John Prine. I'll to remember that about CD Universe. Cool site.

Well, this was the first time I had heard John Prine and I will be buying a new CD tomorrow when I go to Barnes & Nobles to get a new book for my trip. I listened to all the song clips on "Lost Dogs Mixed Blessings" and really liked them. I especially liked the song "All The Way With You". His voice reminds me of Kris Kristoferson and Chris LeDoux. Good stuff.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #14
Shane

I really like John Prine music, I saw him November 15 in Boise. Great Show! He was with Todd Snider who I had not heard before but, a good singer/songrwriter. In 2001 when I heard Gordon sing "No Hotel" it reminded me of John Prine.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #15
Scott Mac

I really like John Prine music, I saw him November 15 in Boise. Great Show! He was with Todd Snider who I had not heard before but, a good singer/songrwriter. In 2001 when I heard Gordon sing "No Hotel" it reminded me of John Prine.
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:50 PM   #16
FishFryPeg

Say... this is a great site.. came across it the other day. I was listening to the UA years and Yarmouth Castle came up... wonderful lyrics and vocal intonations... probably my fav. With a tear in my eye, I decided to check up on Gord's history and went Googling. Turns out the historical record is amazingly accurate to the song (Yeh, should be the other way 'round

Have a close listen to Gord's version, then check out: http://www.lostliners.com/Yarmouth_C...ackground.html
for a great story. Came across your site around 3rd down Google.

Anyhoo, Ima big GL fan of course, first saw him in '69 and last in 2000 here in Winnipeg, and over half dozen times in between. Any youse like Gord's historical songs (sure is a lot of E.Fitz. fans on this site!), check out Stan Rogers for a big treat. His voice, chordings, and lyrics are unbelievable. Died in an Air Canada plane crash in Cincinati in 1983 at 33 years age. I still recall where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news... 'Nuff said! http://stevebriggs.superb.net/stanrogers/

Keep up the good work, and sure good news about Gord's recovery... My prayers go out for him.. It's snowing here... think I'll take my guitar outside and play "Song for a Winter's Night" for Gord. Cheers!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:50 PM   #17
FishFryPeg

Say... this is a great site.. came across it the other day. I was listening to the UA years and Yarmouth Castle came up... wonderful lyrics and vocal intonations... probably my fav. With a tear in my eye, I decided to check up on Gord's history and went Googling. Turns out the historical record is amazingly accurate to the song (Yeh, should be the other way 'round

Have a close listen to Gord's version, then check out: http://www.lostliners.com/Yarmouth_C...ackground.html
for a great story. Came across your site around 3rd down Google.

Anyhoo, Ima big GL fan of course, first saw him in '69 and last in 2000 here in Winnipeg, and over half dozen times in between. Any youse like Gord's historical songs (sure is a lot of E.Fitz. fans on this site!), check out Stan Rogers for a big treat. His voice, chordings, and lyrics are unbelievable. Died in an Air Canada plane crash in Cincinati in 1983 at 33 years age. I still recall where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news... 'Nuff said! http://stevebriggs.superb.net/stanrogers/

Keep up the good work, and sure good news about Gord's recovery... My prayers go out for him.. It's snowing here... think I'll take my guitar outside and play "Song for a Winter's Night" for Gord. Cheers!
Old 01-03-2003, 10:02 AM   #18
TheWatchman

Interesting! Thanks for the link.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:36 PM   #19
Brian 57

About John Prine-- did he write "Paradise" ("Daddy won't you take me back to Muehlenberg County down by the Green River where Paradise lay / I'm sorry my son but you're too late in askin', Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away") or was it somebody else? It's a great song, I've only heard it done by John Denver on his live album. I could look it up, I suppose, but it's more fun to ask you folks.
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 11:38 PM   #20
MatthewBullis

Yes he did write that song, often performed by others as a bluegrass song. There's a great site out there with almost everything you'd want to know about John Prine, at www.JPShrine.org
Thanks a lot.
Matthew
Old 01-03-2003, 11:38 PM   #21
MatthewBullis

Yes he did write that song, often performed by others as a bluegrass song. There's a great site out there with almost everything you'd want to know about John Prine, at www.JPShrine.org
Thanks a lot.
Matthew
Old 01-05-2003, 11:36 AM   #22
endlesswire78

Yes I own John Prine's first album. I have been listening to it since I was little. My dad actually likes J.P. so that's how I know of him. I really like songs like "Sam Stone" and "Donald and Lydia" another great songwriter but Gord is still my favorite. Say anyone in here like Simon and Garfunkel or Paul Simon. I was happy to finally figure out how to play the intro to Homeward Bound after all these years.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:36 AM   #23
endlesswire78

Yes I own John Prine's first album. I have been listening to it since I was little. My dad actually likes J.P. so that's how I know of him. I really like songs like "Sam Stone" and "Donald and Lydia" another great songwriter but Gord is still my favorite. Say anyone in here like Simon and Garfunkel or Paul Simon. I was happy to finally figure out how to play the intro to Homeward Bound after all these years.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:29 PM   #24
USA

endlesswire78. Well done on cracking the intro to 'Homeward Bound'. Have you tried 'I Am A Rock'? Those triplet hammer ons and pull offs are a bit of a pig. Or should that be hammers on & pulls off? Still tricky which ever way you look at it
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:29 PM   #25
notsocooldude

endlesswire78. Well done on cracking the intro to 'Homeward Bound'. Have you tried 'I Am A Rock'? Those triplet hammer ons and pull offs are a bit of a pig. Or should that be hammers on & pulls off? Still tricky which ever way you look at it
notsocooldude is offline   Reply With Quote