banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2001, 03:20 AM   #301
Westernstar9

quote:Originally posted by George:
For me it's easy!! "Anything For Love" is the most beautiful song ever!!!! The song is one of the very few that makes me feel kind of "funny" inside. It makes me want to cry and smile at the same time. The music is mesmerizing, and the lyrics are incredible. I'm just kind of disappointed that I'm the only one that posted this song.

P.S. Is it just me or does this song remind anyone of Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music?

George: It's a good song, but for most hardcore Lighfoot fans it's not really a "Lightfoot" song. The song was more of an attempt to crack the top-40, but failed because: a) It is lyrically too sophisticated for the general audience and b)
the record buying audience at that time saw the name "Gordon Lightfoot" and recalled that their parents have his records. That was the kiss of death. Remember that when that record was released in 1986, Gord was 48 years old.
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 05:29 AM   #302
marvid@sniffout.com

Favourite Lightfoot song?
"Restless" The lyric "Do ya get that restless yearning when you think about yer Dad and the scrinshaw that he had of an old schooner rovin' 'neath a sky that's ironclad". Puts me in mind of my old Dad. I was born and live in England> My Father was a Canadian (Newfoundlander)came to Britain (WW2)met my Mother and remained. Being a Nwfy, he spent his young life at sea (fishing and rum running)My Mother left us when I was 7 and Dad did all that hard work getting me unscathed to my teen years long before social security eased the burden. Something for which I will be eternally grateful. Thanks Dad, and thanks to GL for some great songs.
My wife and I will be in the US in April and I have booked tickets for both Gordon's concerts in Milwaukee. Loking forward to it.
Dave H England.
Old 03-01-2001, 05:29 AM   #303
marvid@sniffout.com

Favourite Lightfoot song?
"Restless" The lyric "Do ya get that restless yearning when you think about yer Dad and the scrinshaw that he had of an old schooner rovin' 'neath a sky that's ironclad". Puts me in mind of my old Dad. I was born and live in England> My Father was a Canadian (Newfoundlander)came to Britain (WW2)met my Mother and remained. Being a Nwfy, he spent his young life at sea (fishing and rum running)My Mother left us when I was 7 and Dad did all that hard work getting me unscathed to my teen years long before social security eased the burden. Something for which I will be eternally grateful. Thanks Dad, and thanks to GL for some great songs.
My wife and I will be in the US in April and I have booked tickets for both Gordon's concerts in Milwaukee. Loking forward to it.
Dave H England.
Old 03-01-2001, 02:10 PM   #304
marvid@sniffout.com

I can spell "scrimshaw" and "looking"
Honest.
Dave H.
Old 03-01-2001, 02:10 PM   #305
marvid@sniffout.com

I can spell "scrimshaw" and "looking"
Honest.
Dave H.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:07 PM   #306
Cole Cioran

Love and Maple Syrup has always gotten to me.

How could poetry like:

"When lonely lovers come to rest
beneath the trees they do their best
but still they can't be free."

not?

Second in line is probably "A Song For a Winter's Night," mostly because it reminds me of cold nights listening to Gordon Lightfoot.

Cole
Old 03-02-2001, 09:07 PM   #307
Cole Cioran

Love and Maple Syrup has always gotten to me.

How could poetry like:

"When lonely lovers come to rest
beneath the trees they do their best
but still they can't be free."

not?

Second in line is probably "A Song For a Winter's Night," mostly because it reminds me of cold nights listening to Gordon Lightfoot.

Cole
Old 03-02-2001, 10:39 PM   #308
sarah bachadonna

My favourite Gordon Lightfoot tunes are "Edmund Fitzgerald", because of it's haunting lyrics and "Steel Rail Blues" and tons of others, like "Ribbon of Darkness" and I can't remember the name of the one that was used in a National Film Board production about Canada....it was like the birth of a nation...anyone out there have a name for me?
Old 03-02-2001, 10:39 PM   #309
sarah bachadonna

My favourite Gordon Lightfoot tunes are "Edmund Fitzgerald", because of it's haunting lyrics and "Steel Rail Blues" and tons of others, like "Ribbon of Darkness" and I can't remember the name of the one that was used in a National Film Board production about Canada....it was like the birth of a nation...anyone out there have a name for me?
Old 03-02-2001, 10:43 PM   #310
charlene

Sarah - Canadian Railroad Trilogy is the song you are thinking of.
Char
check out the lyrics in the SONGS section of this site.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 10:43 PM   #311
charlene

Sarah - Canadian Railroad Trilogy is the song you are thinking of.
Char
check out the lyrics in the SONGS section of this site.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 01:35 PM   #312
amie

My favorite Gordon Lightfo0ot song has to be "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald". Mainly because of tyhe memories it brings back. For anyone who has never heard this song it is about the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald ( a large reighter) in Lake Superior. The first time I had ever heard this song was crossing th Drake Passage, on New Year's eve. For anyone who doesn't know the Drake Passage is the body of watr between Cape Horn and the Antarctic Peninsula and home to some of th roughest seas in the world. Needless to say this was not the best song to be singing during the crossing , but we made it through. This song now serves as a reminder not only of our crossing of the Drake Passage, but of the many sailors who didn't make back from the "Terra Australis" and those who never made it around the Horn.
Old 03-03-2001, 01:35 PM   #313
amie

My favorite Gordon Lightfo0ot song has to be "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald". Mainly because of tyhe memories it brings back. For anyone who has never heard this song it is about the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald ( a large reighter) in Lake Superior. The first time I had ever heard this song was crossing th Drake Passage, on New Year's eve. For anyone who doesn't know the Drake Passage is the body of watr between Cape Horn and the Antarctic Peninsula and home to some of th roughest seas in the world. Needless to say this was not the best song to be singing during the crossing , but we made it through. This song now serves as a reminder not only of our crossing of the Drake Passage, but of the many sailors who didn't make back from the "Terra Australis" and those who never made it around the Horn.
Old 03-09-2001, 11:41 PM   #314
ACG

There are so many incredibly great Lightfoot songs.
I was fortunate to be introduced to his music while
at UC Santa Barbara. I used to have headphones on
and study all night with Lightfoot and coffee.
I started loving IFYCRMM, Early Morning Rain, That's
what you get for loving me, I'm not sayin',
My roommates and I would get together and sing
"Did She mention my name?"...I love those songs,
but what cemented my love for his music was
"Song for a Winters Night". I heard it on Gords
Gold album, and I couldn't believe how beautiful
it is. After that, I decided to get all of his
music, and I cannot believe how great his music is.
Anyway, my all time favorite song.....I will
just have to leave a list.....

1) "Wreck"
2) The Watchmans Gone
3) Canadian Railroad Trilogy
4) Heaven Help the Devil
5) Don Quixote
6) Patriots Dream
7) IYCRMM
8) The last time I saw her face
....ah, forget it, there are tooo, tooo many.

"...and many are the dead men, too silent to be real."

"but that was so long ago, that I could scarcely feel,
the way I felt before, and it time could heal the wounds,
I would tear the threads away, that I might bleed some more...

Just incredible.
Old 03-09-2001, 11:41 PM   #315
ACG

There are so many incredibly great Lightfoot songs.
I was fortunate to be introduced to his music while
at UC Santa Barbara. I used to have headphones on
and study all night with Lightfoot and coffee.
I started loving IFYCRMM, Early Morning Rain, That's
what you get for loving me, I'm not sayin',
My roommates and I would get together and sing
"Did She mention my name?"...I love those songs,
but what cemented my love for his music was
"Song for a Winters Night". I heard it on Gords
Gold album, and I couldn't believe how beautiful
it is. After that, I decided to get all of his
music, and I cannot believe how great his music is.
Anyway, my all time favorite song.....I will
just have to leave a list.....

1) "Wreck"
2) The Watchmans Gone
3) Canadian Railroad Trilogy
4) Heaven Help the Devil
5) Don Quixote
6) Patriots Dream
7) IYCRMM
8) The last time I saw her face
....ah, forget it, there are tooo, tooo many.

"...and many are the dead men, too silent to be real."

"but that was so long ago, that I could scarcely feel,
the way I felt before, and it time could heal the wounds,
I would tear the threads away, that I might bleed some more...

Just incredible.
Old 03-10-2001, 04:23 PM   #316
Val-Dreamer

After 30 years of devotion to the music of GL, and 16 concerts, I have so many favorites...I will come back for more, but for now "The last time I saw her" comes to my consciousness, the lyrics are so poetic, and what imagery. "Her her eyes were bathed in starlight, and her hair hang low..."

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]

Val-Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 12:11 PM   #317
DSnodg3491@aol.com

Favorite Song: Song for a Winter's Night

In February of 1992, I proposed marriage to my wife, Lori (then girlfriend). One of our favorite songs was "Song for a Winter's Night" and we decided we would use it in our wedding the following October. Shortly after accepting my proposal, Lori and I attended one of Gordon's concerts in Huntsville, Alabama. I was able to get a note to security requesting our song. Gord peformed the song for us that night. I could tell he was performing for us because he forgot many of the lyrics (it was not on his list to play). After 8 plus years of marriage, Song for a Winter's Night remains our song.

Thanks Gord for keeping your music meaningful and wholesome.

Old 03-12-2001, 12:11 PM   #318
DSnodg3491@aol.com

Favorite Song: Song for a Winter's Night

In February of 1992, I proposed marriage to my wife, Lori (then girlfriend). One of our favorite songs was "Song for a Winter's Night" and we decided we would use it in our wedding the following October. Shortly after accepting my proposal, Lori and I attended one of Gordon's concerts in Huntsville, Alabama. I was able to get a note to security requesting our song. Gord peformed the song for us that night. I could tell he was performing for us because he forgot many of the lyrics (it was not on his list to play). After 8 plus years of marriage, Song for a Winter's Night remains our song.

Thanks Gord for keeping your music meaningful and wholesome.

Old 03-13-2001, 11:58 AM   #319
McDan

Egads. I thought I was the world's greatest Lightfoot fan, but I now realize I'm just a rank amateur. Favorite song? Many I love, but I would suppose I'm the only fan to do this. I have 7 hours of my favorites on 1 hour cassettes. At the end of tape 3, side A, "Can't Depend on Love" and "It's Worth Believin'" from "Old Dan's Records". I found that I kept rewinding the tape in order to listen to those two songs over and over. They just go together so well. I finally broke down and made a tape that alternates those two songs for a solid hour. I need help....
Old 03-13-2001, 11:58 AM   #320
McDan

Egads. I thought I was the world's greatest Lightfoot fan, but I now realize I'm just a rank amateur. Favorite song? Many I love, but I would suppose I'm the only fan to do this. I have 7 hours of my favorites on 1 hour cassettes. At the end of tape 3, side A, "Can't Depend on Love" and "It's Worth Believin'" from "Old Dan's Records". I found that I kept rewinding the tape in order to listen to those two songs over and over. They just go together so well. I finally broke down and made a tape that alternates those two songs for a solid hour. I need help....
Old 03-13-2001, 12:13 PM   #321
Val-Dreamer

I could not agree more regarding steel rail blues. Any young man who had his heart broken by first love would know..."rid my mind of memories, and star my life again.."

quote:Originally posted by young stranger:
Wow, I just realized how long everyone has kept this topic going. Well, if anyone remembers, my absolute favorite Gord song will always be Carefree Highway. I wrote a rather heartfelt reason for that under another topic. I wanted to say that because I am going to mention another song now. I have quite a few that I absolutely love, as everyone does. These include Song For A Winter's Night, Shadows, and others. But those have been mentioned a lot. One that I haven't seen too many people mention, which surprises me, is Steel Rail Blues. I know it must be on many personal favorites lists, but most have failed to mention it. I love the pace of this song, Gord really got the tempo perfect on this one. I can't really specify too many of the reasons why I like it, mostly because I don't know that much technical info about music. All I know is that this would be one of the songs on my list if I could only have a few with me on a deserted island (uh, oh! sounds like a good subject for a topic). Anyone else feel this way about Steel Rail Blues?

Val-Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 04:42 PM   #322
Clay

It's interesting that most of the favorite songs are not because of the song itself but the memories people have for them. "The Wreck..." reminds me of fall days in my senior year of high school. Going to the park and hanging out with my friends. Later when my girlfriend (now wife) was in Florida and I in Pittsburgh, I'd sit listening to GL's music. "Song for a Winter's Night" took on all new meaning.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 04:42 PM   #323
Pgh58

It's interesting that most of the favorite songs are not because of the song itself but the memories people have for them. "The Wreck..." reminds me of fall days in my senior year of high school. Going to the park and hanging out with my friends. Later when my girlfriend (now wife) was in Florida and I in Pittsburgh, I'd sit listening to GL's music. "Song for a Winter's Night" took on all new meaning.
Pgh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 12:09 AM   #324
ACGTwo

Regarding the post about Steel Rail Blues being about a young
man who had his heart broken by his first love...I think
the words that are quoted, (i.e. "rid my mind of memories,
and start my life again") is from "Sixteen Miles"...which
of course, is another one of my favorite songs....
Sometimes you just gotta get away from "toxic" relationships as
the song suggests is what is going on, but the line I love
in that song is when he talking about where he is going is
"in some hidden valley where the twirling river twines, where the
fish swim up and down, and sparking waters fall, where the thunder
rolls, and the lonely puma calls"--the contrast between
such a fanciful beautiful place with thunder/big cats, and the
big magnamimous nature versus a bad relationship is
so good...It does help that I love the outdoors, and
wide open spaces and wild animals, etc....

Man, he really just hits you...I find my self
visualizing that place...anyway...enough said.
Old 03-15-2001, 12:09 AM   #325
ACGTwo

Regarding the post about Steel Rail Blues being about a young
man who had his heart broken by his first love...I think
the words that are quoted, (i.e. "rid my mind of memories,
and start my life again") is from "Sixteen Miles"...which
of course, is another one of my favorite songs....
Sometimes you just gotta get away from "toxic" relationships as
the song suggests is what is going on, but the line I love
in that song is when he talking about where he is going is
"in some hidden valley where the twirling river twines, where the
fish swim up and down, and sparking waters fall, where the thunder
rolls, and the lonely puma calls"--the contrast between
such a fanciful beautiful place with thunder/big cats, and the
big magnamimous nature versus a bad relationship is
so good...It does help that I love the outdoors, and
wide open spaces and wild animals, etc....

Man, he really just hits you...I find my self
visualizing that place...anyway...enough said.