banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-20-1999, 07:21 PM   #1
Wes Steele

Looks like it's me, as Corfid got here first,
but no doubt the rest of the motley crew from the colonies will be trooping in here hot-light-foot before long, so remember The British Are Coming!
Now to peruse the rest of this new shrine, so far it looks great and congratulations to Florian.
Best wishes from England
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-1999, 07:21 PM   #2
John Fowles

but no doubt the rest of the motley crew from the colonies will be trooping in here hot-light-foot before long, so remember The British Are Coming!
Now to peruse the rest of this new shrine, so far it looks great and congratulations to Florian.
Best wishes from England
John Fowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
gwen sue snyder

I think the "caretaker! in his first outraged response to my posting about gord's new message board tried to say that I was one of those who only dropped in here to promote our own selfish interests (or words to that effect)(but because he has since then mysteriously deleted all but one of his postings the exact words he used are now lost.)I have just rediscovered Florian's first corfid site advert on the Newsgroup alt.music.lightfoot it was in his posting dated Sept 20th 1999.
As always with the archived newsgroup accessed via Google Groups at http:///www.newsgroup.shorturl.com
I used the excellent search facility at the top of the opening page. Just ensure the box "search only alt.music.lightfoot" is checked/(ticked to English readers).
If you type in the name of just about any Lightfoot song for which you have a query there is a very high chance that it has been discussed in the Newsgroup in the past
I have also refound this topic (my own first corfid posting) and hope to be able to contribute more in due course. For example
I have undoubtedly missed over the years since 1999 several worthy and interesting topics so I will post again to request reader's favo(u)rite topics which I would like to publicise on the newsgroup for readers there to enjoy
Also I am in the final stages of a major revamp of my Lightfoot "Webring" and will be adding a separate link to this Discussion Forum
Meanwhile for what it is worth it is at http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by fowlesjohn (edited February 18, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by fowlesjohn (edited February 24, 2003).]
gwen sue snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
fowlesjohn

I think the "caretaker! in his first outraged response to my posting about gord's new message board tried to say that I was one of those who only dropped in here to promote our own selfish interests (or words to that effect)(but because he has since then mysteriously deleted all but one of his postings the exact words he used are now lost.)I have just rediscovered Florian's first corfid site advert on the Newsgroup alt.music.lightfoot it was in his posting dated Sept 20th 1999.
As always with the archived newsgroup accessed via Google Groups at http:///www.newsgroup.shorturl.com
I used the excellent search facility at the top of the opening page. Just ensure the box "search only alt.music.lightfoot" is checked/(ticked to English readers).
If you type in the name of just about any Lightfoot song for which you have a query there is a very high chance that it has been discussed in the Newsgroup in the past
I have also refound this topic (my own first corfid posting) and hope to be able to contribute more in due course. For example
I have undoubtedly missed over the years since 1999 several worthy and interesting topics so I will post again to request reader's favo(u)rite topics which I would like to publicise on the newsgroup for readers there to enjoy
Also I am in the final stages of a major revamp of my Lightfoot "Webring" and will be adding a separate link to this Discussion Forum
Meanwhile for what it is worth it is at http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by fowlesjohn (edited February 18, 2003).]

fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 05:20 PM   #5
BrightSide

Hi--former lurker here. I've only been around a couple of months, and I appreciate your attention to bringing forward older topics, John, and telling "newbies" how to access them. I will think about my particular interests and try to respond on the other thread.

I've enjoyed visiting your site, also, but could you consider one change? Ditch the loud radio spot! I like to listen to (Gord's) CDs while I surf, but even if I'm not, the commercial just drives me nuts--I have to mute it. Couldn't you rig it so it just plays *once* when the reader accesses the site?

No criticism of any other aspect of the page, which is excellent.
BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
MaryEllen

Hi--former lurker here. I've only been around a couple of months, and I appreciate your attention to bringing forward older topics, John, and telling "newbies" how to access them. I will think about my particular interests and try to respond on the other thread.

I've enjoyed visiting your site, also, but could you consider one change? Ditch the loud radio spot! I like to listen to (Gord's) CDs while I surf, but even if I'm not, the commercial just drives me nuts--I have to mute it. Couldn't you rig it so it just plays *once* when the reader accesses the site?

No criticism of any other aspect of the page, which is excellent.
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 11:36 AM   #7
gwen sue snyder

Thank you Mary Ellen for your very constructive criticism
I had been warned by folk such as Ed Mullen that having a background sound that started playing automatically was bad form as the visitor to my page could well be listening at night and the sudden burst of music could awaken the wife for example.I started experimenting with how to control this but initially had a problem making it work properly
Spurred by you I have tried again and now understand what needs to be done. So Thanks again.If you revisit my Ringmasters page you should now find (I hope) a small Windows Media Player built in to the page with start and stop buttons.
Now I have succeeded with this revision I must get on with my long-planned thorough revamp of the whole webring set up. I will post again when that is done
I see your name Mary Ellen is a very pleasant grouping of two christian names. I don't suppose your surname is Carter (my mother was born Margaret Ellen Carter) but it reminded me of the great Stan Rogers song "The Mary Ellen Carter". Anyone who has not heard this may hear a
30 second clip on amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003BTX/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/002 -2580726-3299235#product-details
Just scroll down to see the album listing then click to listen to track 4

gwen sue snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 11:36 AM   #8
fowlesjohn

Thank you Mary Ellen for your very constructive criticism
I had been warned by folk such as Ed Mullen that having a background sound that started playing automatically was bad form as the visitor to my page could well be listening at night and the sudden burst of music could awaken the wife for example.I started experimenting with how to control this but initially had a problem making it work properly
Spurred by you I have tried again and now understand what needs to be done. So Thanks again.If you revisit my Ringmasters page you should now find (I hope) a small Windows Media Player built in to the page with start and stop buttons.
Now I have succeeded with this revision I must get on with my long-planned thorough revamp of the whole webring set up. I will post again when that is done
I see your name Mary Ellen is a very pleasant grouping of two christian names. I don't suppose your surname is Carter (my mother was born Margaret Ellen Carter) but it reminded me of the great Stan Rogers song "The Mary Ellen Carter". Anyone who has not heard this may hear a
30 second clip on amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003BTX/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/002 -2580726-3299235#product-details
Just scroll down to see the album listing then click to listen to track 4

fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:14 PM   #9
jaybyrd

MaryEllen, further to John's remark about the good ship 'Mary Ellen Carter'.
I take my ole geetar to a local pub on Tuesday night and jam with like minded people. We have one guy who sings that song acapella. Every Tuesday the 'Mary Ellen Carter', rises again. It is a great pub song, as it has a good chorus
jaybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:14 PM   #10
wattsdmatter

MaryEllen, further to John's remark about the good ship 'Mary Ellen Carter'.
I take my ole geetar to a local pub on Tuesday night and jam with like minded people. We have one guy who sings that song acapella. Every Tuesday the 'Mary Ellen Carter', rises again. It is a great pub song, as it has a good chorus
wattsdmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #11
BrightSide

No, my surname isn't Carter--my heritage is German/Irish. When I was a kid, I wanted a 'cutesy' first name. Now that I am far from a kid, I'm grateful to have an "old fashioned" moniker.

I'm also grateful to you both for "steering" me toward this song--I have heard of Stan Rogers and how highly esteemed he was, and his work still is (also about his tragic death in a plane fire). But I am ashamed to admit I had not been motivated to check out his work before. Now I will--good deed, guys!

BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #12
MaryEllen

No, my surname isn't Carter--my heritage is German/Irish. When I was a kid, I wanted a 'cutesy' first name. Now that I am far from a kid, I'm grateful to have an "old fashioned" moniker.

I'm also grateful to you both for "steering" me toward this song--I have heard of Stan Rogers and how highly esteemed he was, and his work still is (also about his tragic death in a plane fire). But I am ashamed to admit I had not been motivated to check out his work before. Now I will--good deed, guys!

MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #13
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I just saw that Dunkin' Michael Douglas thge thurd has resurrected the very first discussion board topic. So here is the Second!!!

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #14
johnfowles

I just saw that Dunkin' Michael Douglas thge thurd has resurrected the very first discussion board topic. So here is the Second!!!

------------------
starts at
Old 05-03-2004, 02:25 PM   #15
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
You had to register your name thrice? Oh man, how pathetic is that?
Hey DDM31/2 drop that smug air of superiority right now. Just where did I say that I had to register my name thrice.
I posted the second topic on this forum which has nothing whatsoever to do with registering my name.OK I did originally
register as fowlesjohn purely as that is my hotmail e-mail addy (some other joker had and still has johnfowles@hotmail.com and the another unknown namesake has johnfowles.com which is one resason why I went for johnfowles.org and then found that the .uk version was cheaper than the plain .org one
I actully reregisterd here as johnfowles purely in order to confuse the caretaker who as the aptly named bordrestone said is far too smug for his own good IMHO anyway

------------------
starts at
Old 05-03-2004, 02:25 PM   #16
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
You had to register your name thrice? Oh man, how pathetic is that?
Hey DDM31/2 drop that smug air of superiority right now. Just where did I say that I had to register my name thrice.
I posted the second topic on this forum which has nothing whatsoever to do with registering my name.OK I did originally
register as fowlesjohn purely as that is my hotmail e-mail addy (some other joker had and still has johnfowles@hotmail.com and the another unknown namesake has johnfowles.com which is one resason why I went for johnfowles.org and then found that the .uk version was cheaper than the plain .org one
I actully reregisterd here as johnfowles purely in order to confuse the caretaker who as the aptly named bordrestone said is far too smug for his own good IMHO anyway

------------------
starts at
Old 05-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
johnfowles

Default Re: Someone has to be second

My 4000th Posting

tada tada tada this should be my 4000th corfid posting and what better way to celebrate than to resurrect my very first corfid posting (albeit it was made under my original split member name and is therefore not included in my current name's 4000).
Oh well it's the thought that counts!!
I will also link to another old thread I recently refound at
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=18825
in which message number 12 was mine
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.p...0&postcount=12
and in which I revealed that I had just written a newsgroup history page at:-
http://johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFOOT/Newsgroup.htm
which page gives links to the first NG postings by myself and Char and also a link to Florian's announcement of corfid

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-28-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
johnfowles

Oops either me or corfid cannot count
I had carefully (I thought) calculated that my previous mesage would have brought my "johnfowles" total to 4000 (it does but only if you add in the first one in this thread made as John Fowles not my later one word johnfowles moniker so addimng in tht solitsry posting it is then exactly 4000 so maybe it was better that way anyway even if more by accident than design!!).
Note that in the listing here the originator of this thread is shown as
"Wes Steele" (the well known Taverner) but don't be fooled by the duplicity of some old archived messages where the same message is now oddly attributed to two different members. but I know that I posted it first on September 20th 1999 so there! I have also realised that on my Newsgroup history web page I had not given an actual link to Florian's historic announcement of his new creation the oddly named "corfid" web site his new Newsgroup thread on September 20th 1999 it was and is at:-
http://www.floriancorfid.notlong.com
Florian had said
"The website includes lyrics to all songs, a discussion forum, a quiz, tour
dates, a collection of press articles and more

I hope it will attract new fans to
the music of Gordon Lightfoot as well as benefit current fans
"
he continued
I know that many posters in this newsgroups are experts about Gordon
Lightfoot and his work, so please support me to keep this website helpful,
entertaining and resourceful to Gordon Lightfoot fans

I think he succeeded brilliantly
Err Umm Florian
"tour dates" yes but why is the home page index of contents now almost 18 months out of date and still showing links to Wayne's 2008 tour page not 2010 or 2011 even???

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-28-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Steele View Post
Best wishes from England
If one wants to be technical, the British are not only coming, but they are here & have been for more than two hundred years!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Wes Steele

That doesn't look like my post... Looks like John's post....I don't know how my name got on that post.... John is a much more fluent writer than I could ever imagine to be....
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
charlene

many archived posts are duplicated but with two different posters named.. i have no idea why.. or how to fix it..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #22
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
many archived posts are duplicated but with two different posters named.. i have no idea why.. or how to fix it..
Ma'am I doubt if you, marvelously capable though you are or anybody can
easily fix this phenomenon which believe occured during Florian's brave and otherwise eminently successful attempt to migrate all of the existing threads from the original forum provider and layout to the current vastly improved one a few years ago now
As far as I can imagine to remove the duplications somebody would have to start at thread one and manually delete every duplication but it can only be done by a moderator type person or the offended member.
Frankly I personally would rather have access to all old threads as at present than worry about the wrong person getting credit for an old posting
so let it be please
Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
charlene

I have no inclination, time nor energy to adjust or change those old posts..lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I have no inclination, time nor energy to adjust or change those old posts..lol
Err Umm I did say
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Ma'am I doubt if you, marvelously capable though you are or anybody can easily fix this phenomenon
so let it be please
so please do not feel bad or apologetic about your understandable lack of enthousiasm,err rather enthusiasm

Last edited by johnfowles; 06-15-2010 at 03:20 PM.