banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2003, 03:01 PM   #1
Doug Mullins

if you like the song, put your name down here

it seems to be a song that everyone loves to hate. i don't know why. gord did it in the name of fun and it sure sounds like it. this would have been a period in his life where he wasn't too happy and to see him having fun with a song like that is great!.

personally i love the tune. picks me up every time.

if you like the song, stand up and be counted in this thread.
Doug Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:01 PM   #2
joveski

it seems to be a song that everyone loves to hate. i don't know why. gord did it in the name of fun and it sure sounds like it. this would have been a period in his life where he wasn't too happy and to see him having fun with a song like that is great!.

personally i love the tune. picks me up every time.

joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 07:52 PM   #3
BrightSide

Yeah, I do--Gord rocks out!--as he would say, "Alright!"

In fact, I wish he had/would do more stuff like this and "Boathouse." He's got great rock & roll chops.
BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 07:52 PM   #4
MaryEllen

Yeah, I do--Gord rocks out!--as he would say, "Alright!"

In fact, I wish he had/would do more stuff like this and "Boathouse." He's got great rock & roll chops.
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
on-susan's-floor

I love it, too. Makes me feel good. And my young granddaughters (11 and 7) like it. It's a fun song.
on-susan's-floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 07:58 PM   #6
Brave Soul

I love it, too. Makes me feel good. And my young granddaughters (11 and 7) like it. It's a fun song.
Brave Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:24 PM   #7
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

joveski,

Count me.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:37 PM   #8
Tyler

Me too!

Brink
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:37 PM   #9
brink

Me too!

Brink
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:19 PM   #10
fowlesjohn

I have argued this same point that Gord was havin' a good time and it is that kind of lightherted have fun kind of song that makes me jam with it...
GSS
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:19 PM   #11
gwen snyder

I have argued this same point that Gord was havin' a good time and it is that kind of lightherted have fun kind of song that makes me jam with it...
GSS
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:15 AM   #12
TheWatchman

I like the song and the fact that he is not afraid to step outside of his usual style from time to time.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 03:45 PM   #13
Borderstone

Anyone who doesn't like it can put a "Pussywillow in their Cat*Tails!" They are obviously not true Gord fans if they can't let themselves see a different side of him. You can count on me! 1,2,3,4,5 hee-hee-hee! that tickles! Don't literally count on me! Yikes! It's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown cruisin' in a Canary Yellow Canoe!

------------------
Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:54 AM   #14
DMD3

I'm not badmouthing Gord when I say this is my lea$t favorite song, I understand and don't blame him for wanting to write a fun song and am glad that there are some people out there who like it. "Keepin On Yearnin" is also a kind of rocky song, don't you think?

Dougla$

------------------
Old 05-21-2003, 09:54 AM   #15
DMD3

I'm not badmouthing Gord when I say this is my lea$t favorite song, I understand and don't blame him for wanting to write a fun song and am glad that there are some people out there who like it. "Keepin On Yearnin" is also a kind of rocky song, don't you think?

Dougla$

------------------
Old 05-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #16
Steve DeRosa

I had to put my name down...not because I like the song, uh...believe it or not...I've never heard it yet (don't hate me...I'm a true fan, but I have 3 kids and not a lot of money...my collection of GL material is slowly growing, though, as $$$ permits!!!). Anyway, I added my name because I didn't want anyone to think that I didn't like it due to my name NOT being added to this thread! Hope that made sense!

Now I am very, VERY curious to hear this song!!!!
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #17
Oma

I had to put my name down...not because I like the song, uh...believe it or not...I've never heard it yet (don't hate me...I'm a true fan, but I have 3 kids and not a lot of money...my collection of GL material is slowly growing, though, as $$$ permits!!!). Anyway, I added my name because I didn't want anyone to think that I didn't like it due to my name NOT being added to this thread! Hope that made sense!

Now I am very, VERY curious to hear this song!!!!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:25 PM   #18
BrightSide

Oma, have you ever checked out eBay? The "Songbook" set is often listed there with bids starting at about $20.00. And the bidding sometimes doesn't go much higher.

If you don't want to put your personal financial information on the web (which you have to do to buy things on eBay with a credit card or through some "account"-type system like Paypal), you can make sure that the seller accepts postal money orders, which cost about 90 cents.

Also, if you decide to do this, it is always wise not to bid on items where the shipping cost is not spelled out (e.g., "shipping will be $4.00 to the domestic US"). Some less-than-scrupulous sellers try to gouge buyers that way.

But don't start eBaying if you don't want to! It's tremendously addictive--a potent combination of gambling and bargain-hunting.
BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:25 PM   #19
MaryEllen

Oma, have you ever checked out eBay? The "Songbook" set is often listed there with bids starting at about $20.00. And the bidding sometimes doesn't go much higher.

If you don't want to put your personal financial information on the web (which you have to do to buy things on eBay with a credit card or through some "account"-type system like Paypal), you can make sure that the seller accepts postal money orders, which cost about 90 cents.

Also, if you decide to do this, it is always wise not to bid on items where the shipping cost is not spelled out (e.g., "shipping will be $4.00 to the domestic US"). Some less-than-scrupulous sellers try to gouge buyers that way.

But don't start eBaying if you don't want to! It's tremendously addictive--a potent combination of gambling and bargain-hunting.
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 03:12 PM   #20
joveski

oma,

there is a small clip of this song on val's website:
http://www.gordonlightfoot.com/Songbook.shtml

scroll down till you find it.
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #21
Steve DeRosa

Thanks for the info Mary Ellen and joveski. I listened to the clip...really sounds like Gord is jammin'...anxious to hear more!!
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #22
Oma

Thanks for the info Mary Ellen and joveski. I listened to the clip...really sounds like Gord is jammin'...anxious to hear more!!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:07 PM   #23
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by joveski:

I can't say that it's one of my favorites, but I don't dislike it. It's not a song I skip on the CD player. I kind of like hearing Gord doing something that is so typically 'unLightfoot'. When I first heard Canary Yellow Canoe, I cruised around the Internet looking for maps of Canada so I could see where each river in the song was actually located. I had a hard time finding Chibougamau though, because I couldn't figure out how to spell it.
Sheesh, I need to get a life!

Cathy

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:06 PM   #24
Borderstone

Don't feel too bad Oma,I work for a living myself and in 2001 I had to pay for my Songbook collection over a nearly 3 month period! Overall,it came to about $62.00 including sales tax. It was worth it though when I paid it off and picked it up at Sam Goodys on Tuesday,August 7th. I played it all afternoon. Oddly enough,1 day short of a year later,I saw him live in concert. SPOOKY! It's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

------------------
Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote