banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-19-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
brink

There has been an influx of new fans lately. Jeffyho, travismcgee, rona, stevierae, bjb, lsh, bobo, kilgore, stationmaster, donquixote, dglatta, the ponyman to name a few. Why all the new people have you discover or rediscovered Gord because of Harmony? Or a fan that just started checking out the internet? What's your story?
Just correcting the spelling! Sorry Jeffyjo.
[This message has been edited by brink (edited July 20, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by brink (edited July 20, 2004).]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
LSH

Hi Brink,
To answer your question, no, I didn't rediscover Lightfoot, never stopped listening. He's been my favorite since early highschool years when I found out all those songs I loved and heard so rarely were sung and written by the same man. Funny, huh? I'll be 40 on Thursday, so I've been his fan for some time now.

I started checking out Amazon (a coworker pointed me in that direction for hard to find stuff)on the net during my lunch hour to find his CDs. Then I saw a little newslink blurb thing and clicked on it. That's how I found out he had been seriously ill. Scared the pee outta me. So I started scanning the web looking for news, and here you all were. : )
I used to check this site out on my lunch break. I just got internet at home last week, and when I saw the post for the IL video, that just did it for me.
It's frustrating how little news there is of him here. ANNOYING even.
Now I have you guys to remind me of all the good songs I'm missing while getting my CD collection as up to date as my album collection. And those Toronto folks to keep me up on news of GL.
Glad to be here,
Laurel
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
bjb

Hi Brink and everyone,
I played everything from Lightfoot! up to Salute over and over again. Then I missed a few years (long story). Recently I wanted to listen to Christian Island again, but couldn't find it except on a compilation. Once I heard the voice again, and so many songs I loved, I had to become an active listener again

Christian Island had a lot of meaning to me as it came out at a time when my family had suffered a loss. No one else seemed to understand, and the most healing thing to do was go spend time outdoors away from everyone. My favorite line was "for one more day she would like to stay in the lee of Christian Island"

I am thrilled with Harmony and find that the more I put into listening, the more I get out of it!

Best wishes to everyone here
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
jeffyjo

jeefyjo?

Actually, I've been a Gord fan for a while. I always knew of the Corfid site and reviewed the lyrics and discography frequently. Then, one day, I saw that there was a message board too (don't know how I missed that), and decided to sign up.

Plus, I know some of the posters here from DylanPool, where we're mostly big Gord fans anyway.

Jeff
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
stationmaster

Well I have been listening to Gord since 1976 when my second favourite album "Summertime Dream" was released. I discovered this site a few years ago when I began searching for lyrics and chords but it was only recently that I discovered the "Discussion Forum". I always knew Gord had a lot of fans but was surprised to see how many people posted here. I have learned more about Gord and his music in the last few months than I have in a lot of years. You can read more of my story at an earlier post called "My Lightfoot Connection" There are a few good stories there told by some interesting fans. Check it out!

------------------
"The station is for travelers even you must ride someday"
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
joveski

hey jeff,

froggie here

who are on the pool?? i thought i was the only pooler here!.. a safe haven these last few days!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:30 AM   #7
Travis McGee

I have always liked Gordon's songs that were popular in the 1970's. It was just last year that I bought his "Complete Greatest Hits". I discovered that there was some really great stuff there. I also like the fact that with Gordon, it is about the music. Nothing else. Too, that voice is something else.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #8
donquixote

I've been a solid, uninterrupted fan since 1969 - Gord's always had #1 spot for me - ALWAYS!.

I'm also not new to the Internet, but I just hadn't looked before for this type of site. A few years back I did participate in the newsgroup that is there, but got tired of the ugly format of a newsgroup.

My favourite part of a site like this is when I read about someone who is a teenager or in their early 20s who discover Lightfoot's music for the first time. I get jealous thinking about how great it would be to hear all those albums again for the first time. In my case, I can still remember the exact weather and where I purchased each new release starting with Don Quixote in 1972.

John
donquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:58 AM   #9
klbowman

Well, I only have computer access at work and I usually travel 4-5 days per week, since I use the companys laptop, I do not usually sign up/join etc, I just check in briefly and go back to work. I have been checking this site for almost 2 years. My interest in Gordon is from years ago, but when he almost died, my obsession took back over. Karen
Old 07-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
Rona

I've been a fan forever, but I didn't know about this site. I used to go to Valerie's all the time, and then suddenly it was GONE. So I typed in "Gordon Lightfoot", and found corfid. I'd never been on a forum before, but I was so excited to find similarly-thinking people, I got brave enough to come on!
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
brink

Thanks for the responses, most of you seem to be about the "median" age here. I can't believe you waited two years Karen. I remember finding this site. I had no clue how to use it. I love that I finally got brave and posted, I have met fantastic people here and I learn new things everyday. Welcome to all of you, must be that Gord Karma happening, that drew everyone here.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #12
Kilgore

I've been into Gord for mega years, I only found this forum farily recently
Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:07 PM   #13
StevieRae

I have been a huge fan since about the 2nd grade. My father used to play GL every morning, and thats what I would wake up to. I think I have a strong emotional tie to my childhood (before it was ravaged) through his music. I, unfortunately, find it difficult to find other fans among my generation (I'm 17). So a lot of my discussions about his work occur in forums like this. The last site I visited was withdrawn for some reason. After searching for a new source of GL information and news, I stumbled upon this site.
And that is my story
Old 08-11-2004, 03:06 PM   #14
Mair

My story. Well, here I am announcing to the world that, yes, I am proudly one of those who has "rediscovered" Gord in this last year or so. And how!!! And I'm so happy about that, and so proud about that! No, unlike others, I haven't listened to him for thirty years uninterrupted - but strangely enough I have for around 25 years, on and off. But I stopped listening too. And I have told my story elsewhere on this site and I won't repeat this now ... It has really been "rediscovery" for me - in such a big way, and such a wonderful and emotional way! And the Internet is so responsible for this. This is so wonderful. You see, I had these old cassettes [this is the UK], that I used to play with my friends years ago, and carried on playing ... but then I was asked by someone recently which songs have had the most influence on me, ever ... and only then did I go on-line to search - and found how much I had been missing over so many (ahem ... twenty!) years! I was appalled about how much I had missed! I'm just catching up now - and I don't care who knows. I've missed so much! But I'm catching up now. And I don't care about anything other than than I've arrived here. At last. Not with Harmony - sorry, but no-one in the UK knows about Harmony apart from die-hards who know already, who were waiting for this. This would not have captured my attention! The thing that captured my attention was one friend who asked the right question at the right time - one person who sent me on a web search that sent me back to the place I had to be.

Yes - I'm a a new/old convert - back to the fold from long ago!! I've missed so much, but willing to learn so much also. "Held for ransome" - from so long ago! And ... well ... I'm back! And it feels so right, so real and so right.

Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:08 PM   #15
GJM

I just stumbled onto this site about a month ago. As for being a new fan, forget it. The first record I ever bought was the 45rpm for IYCRMM when I was 12 years old. Since then, my collection has app. 20 albums beside many cd's. I've also been fortunate enough to see him 7 times live. I always got great seats (first to third row, center stage) because not everyone in NY shares my great taste in music. Since discovering this site, I find that I check it every few days. It's great to read comments from other people who share my life-long love for GL's music and also to keep up on current events. It'll always be a mystery to me why he never achieved the stature in the States that he deserves.

How about a life-time achievement award from the Grammy committee?
GJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #16
Sidney Freedmen

I just discovered this site about a month ago, but i've been hooked for 2 years.

------------------
Sidney Freedmen

'Sit Down Young Stranger' and visit The Home Page Of Gordon Lightfoot
Sidney Freedmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:24 AM   #17
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by GJM:
because not everyone in NY shares my great taste in music.
How about a life-time achievement award from the Grammy committee?

GJM where in NY?? there are quite a lot of fans in this area (including CT and PA) and some in NYC itself (Westchester and White Plains and someone somewhere on Long Island at least not forgetting Annie in Auburn NY state) and occasionally there is an excuse for a get together. Most recetly (in June) a few of us met for dinner at Morristown NJ when Bruna Zanelli/silverheels was here after she attended the June Atlanta/"hotlanta" gathering. You haven't registered so I cannot send you an e-mail but send one to me and I'll add you to my list.
John Fowles near Elizabeth NJ

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:26 AM   #18
TheWatchman

I'm in NJ several times per year on business and I never can get used to it. Northen NJ is beautiful like Sussex County and also southern NJ such as Salem is good too. All the stuff in between makes for a long trip.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote