banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-24-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
Gaby

00:05 in England, now, so -

HAPPY CHRISTMAS one and all!

and I'm so glad I found you lovely bunch of Lightheads this year.

Love to you all.

Gaby
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
brink

Still on Christmas Eve here in Colorado, but Merry Christmas to all the forum friends!
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 06:43 AM   #3
SomewhereupinMichigan

6:40 a.m. Christmas morning Somewhere up in Michigan:

Merry Christmas to all my Lighthead friends!

(Waiting for my son to roll out of bed to unwrap presents but I put on the lights on the tree and casually stole a glance 'round. Looks like Santa DID come through with the promised guitar! Ac-chord-ingly, I'll be one happy Lighthead!)

SUIM
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 06:48 AM   #4
SilverHeels

MERRY CHRISTMAS from the UK to all of you where-ever you happen to be. Hope Santa was generous to each of you and yours and may 2004 find our Gord fully recovered and rarin' to get back on stage.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 07:17 AM   #5
Brian 57

Merry Christmas to one and all.

It's great to be a part of this group. Blessings and peace to you and yours from us and ours.

Brian

(P.S. It's 7:06, and only one of my kids are up. AND HE'S LETTING EVERYONE ELSE SLEEP! I tell ya, kids these days are amateurs. In my day, we were up 5:30 at the latest)
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 07:38 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

Merry Christmas from upstate New York! The 20 year old set his alarm for 6:30 am ("Honest, Mom! I thought I set it for afternoon so we could all sleep in!" said he with a big grin on his face)

BTW, just before bed last night I was flipping channels and came across the annual Holiday Yule Log on the Madison Square Garden station (New York City) which, for those who don't know it, shows nothing but an image of logs flickering on the fire with holiday music in the background. Anyway, what should be playing but "Song for a Winter's Night"!! Quartette's version, I think. I sat on the bed with a silly grin on my face - what a Christmas Eve sendoff.

Anyway, I hope everybody has a wonderful day and safe traveling to those who are on the road.

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited December 25, 2003).]
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:15 AM   #7
Rob1956

A Merry Christmas to all who grace this board, from the suburbs of Chicago. Got up this morning and looked "through the trees in my backyard" and saw the sun just rising over the treetops and felt like everything was going to be allright. Then, I made the mistake of turning on MSNBC! Oh well...have a fun day everyone...now I have to get ready for work!
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by SomewhereupinMichigan:
6:40 a.m. Christmas morning Somewhere up in Michigan:

Merry Christmas to all my Lighthead friends!

(Waiting for my son to roll out of bed to unwrap presents but I put on the lights on the tree and casually stole a glance 'round. Looks like Santa DID come through with the promised guitar! Ac-chord-ingly, I'll be one happy Lighthead!)

SUIM

Come on, SUIM. Are you going to keep us in suspense all day? What kind of guitar did you get???

I bought a nice Ibanez for my oldest son, but I'm taking it back tomorrow. On closer inspection, I noticed a slight crack starting on the top,right along where the neck and body meet. It looks like it took a hit during shipping. Great sounding guitar, though. It has a solid spruce top and sounds as good as my Martin!

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:45 AM   #9
knightmoves

Merry Christmas from Niagara Falls Canada. This Christmas I bought myself a widescreen TV, a 500 watt Berringer power mixer and Peavy speekers...oh...and a Berringer condensor mic. I got tired of waiting for Santa to bring them. Later today, I'm going over to spread some Christmas cheer to the good old guy that I bought my Takemine electric acoustic guitar from. Hes been retired for years now, and he cant play anymore due to arthritis in his fingers. Merry Christmas Gaby ...and to all. Sincerely, Kevin
knightmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 12:05 PM   #10
Scott Mac

Merry Christmas From Idaho! No snow in town but, we got lots of rain which means there should be snow in the mountains. God Bless!
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 06:52 PM   #11
violet Blue Horse

You'd think that's the way it would work wouldn't you? Not going that way here. We've had a downpour since last night. The areas hit by the fires are now being washed down the mountain side, and all the roads they repaired are under mud and rock

If it would only snow.

Think snow.

Lots of snow.

quote:Originally posted by Scott Mac:
Merry Christmas From Idaho! No snow in town but, we got lots of rain which means there should be snow in the mountains. God Bless!

Old 12-25-2003, 06:57 PM   #12
Brian 57

quote:Originally posted by Auburn Annie:

BTW, just before bed last night I was flipping channels and came across the annual Holiday Yule Log on the Madison Square Garden station (New York City) which, for those who don't know it, shows nothing but an image of logs flickering on the fire with holiday music in the background.

I heard a true story that a lady had fallen asleep on her couch and woke up, saw flames and called the fire department thinking her TV was on fire. It turns out that while she was asleep, the station she was watching had started showing a yule log.

BTW2- I'm also from upstate NY-- at the confluence of the Erie Canal and Chenango Canal (at least it was in the 1800s)

Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 08:26 PM   #13
gwen snyder

Happy Holidays to you all!!! Finally, I can say "Ah-h-h", moat of the Christmas rush is over. God bless you all.

Oh, and I have heard several Gord songs very recentlt. One rainy afternoon, I was driving back and forth to Cuyahga Falls and Cleveland and twice they (local radio station) played Sarah Mclachlans' version of "song for a winters night". Made my day even in spite of the rain.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:11 PM   #14
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Come on, SUIM. Are you going to keep us in suspense all day? What kind of guitar did you get???

I bought a nice Ibanez for my oldest son, but I'm taking it back tomorrow. On closer inspection, I noticed a slight crack starting on the top,right along where the neck and body meet. It looks like it took a hit during shipping. Great sounding guitar, though. It has a solid spruce top and sounds as good as my Martin!

Hi Cathy: Well, it's no Martin or Gibson or Ibanez. It's a Johnson player's series dreadnaught and that's just fine! It has a real sweet sound for a lower end, starter guitar. My son helped pick it out and stowed it at his apartment the past couple of weeks and one of his musician buddies came by and played it and was impressed with the quality for the price. I'm just happy to have it. As I told my wife (Santa), just make it a good starter guitar for me and let's see where it takes me. Though I must admit that I'm already contemplating the upgrade to a Martin one day. But first I expect I'll look into a 12-string too. For now, however, I've got my work cut out to get up to speed. Oh...my son also picked me up a new set of Bill Keith's for my 30-year-old banjo so I'll be doing a lot of picking again for the first time in years!

Just call me: "SUIM-ing in my second youth!" Now, if Borderstone would just check in and tell us what he got for Christmas! Don't keep us hanging for the next 10 days B-stone!

Old 12-26-2003, 06:08 PM   #15
Cathy

Hi Cathy: Well, it's no Martin or Gibson or Ibanez. It's a Johnson player's series dreadnaught and that's just fine! It has a real sweet sound for a lower end, starter guitar. My son helped pick it out and stowed it at his apartment the past couple of weeks and one of his musician buddies came by and played it and was impressed with the quality for the price. I'm just happy to have it. As I told my wife (Santa), just make it a good starter guitar for me and let's see where it takes me. Though I must admit that I'm already contemplating the upgrade to a Martin one day. But first I expect I'll look into a 12-string too. For now, however, I've got my work cut out to get up to speed. Oh...my son also picked me up a new set of Bill Keith's for my 30-year-old banjo so I'll be doing a lot of picking again for the first time in years!

Just call me: "SUIM-ing in my second youth!" Now, if Borderstone would just check in and tell us what he got for Christmas! Don't keep us hanging for the next 10 days B-stone!

I've played some pretty decent Johnsons. It will be good enough to get you started. But you've got the bug now. In a short time you'll want something better, fancier. It's called GAS: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

I'm at that stage with the banjo. I bought a cheap one this summer, along with a Tony Trishka tab book and CD, and am trying to work my way through the banjo rolls and some of the easier songs. Now if I just practiced regularly, I might learn something. Sooner or later I'll look into buying a better banjo. Right now I have an el-cheapo Rover open back. I did have it set up by an experienced player, though, so it plays better than most of the cheap ones.
I think your knowledge of the banjo will help with your quest to become a guitar player. It will definitely help with fingerpicking. Even though the patterns are different, at least your fingers are used to picking, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn how to Travis pick.
Have fun with your new toy.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:13 PM   #16
Janice

Cathy, you should get a ticket for our Deering banjo raffle - Carey has already said he'd pick up shipping cost for any one from out of town (within the Continental US) who might win

It's pretty cool and it's already signed by John McEuen (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band) and will also be signed by Herb Pedersen by the time the drawing happens the end of March. I don't even play banjo with no plans to learn, but I wouldn't mind winning it if I could be eligible!

Janice

I've played some pretty decent Johnsons. It will be good enough to get you started. But you've got the bug now. In a short time you'll want something better, fancier. It's called GAS: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

I'm at that stage with the banjo. I bought a cheap one this summer, along with a Tony Trishka tab book and CD, and am trying to work my way through the banjo rolls and some of the easier songs. Now if I just practiced regularly, I might learn something. Sooner or later I'll look into buying a better banjo. Right now I have an el-cheapo Rover open back. I did have it set up by an experienced player, though, so it plays better than most of the cheap ones.
I think your knowledge of the banjo will help with your quest to become a guitar player. It will definitely help with fingerpicking. Even though the patterns are different, at least your fingers are used to picking, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn how to Travis pick.

[This message has been edited by Janice (edited December 27, 2003).]
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 11:04 PM   #17
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by Janice:
Cathy, you should get a ticket for our Deering banjo raffle - Carey has already said he'd pick up shipping cost for any one from out of town (within the Continental US) who might win

It's pretty cool and it's already signed by John McEuen (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band) and will also be signed by Herb Pedersen by the time the drawing happens the end of March. I don't even play banjo with no plans to learn, but I wouldn't mind winning it if I could be eligible!

Janice

[This message has been edited by Janice (edited December 27, 2003).]

Janice: Post the contact info for buying tickets and maybe you'll move some. I, for one, would be willing to purchase a chance or two!
Old 12-28-2003, 09:55 AM   #18
Cathy

Janice: Post the contact info for buying tickets and maybe you'll move some. I, for one, would be willing to purchase a chance or two!

Yeah, so would I.
Janice, you should post about the concert and raffle on alt.banjo, too. If I remember correctly, there are several players on that group from your area. I wish I could make it out for the show. I'm seriously considering coming out sometime this year to see Derek. I was thinking about April, but Ed has plans for some of us meeting in Atlanta around that time.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:08 AM   #19
gwen snyder

my fingers are sore and ya know what I have the coarsest fingers in the world without ever touching geetar strings, so this kind of impressed me...hahaha
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:45 AM   #20
SomewhereupinMichigan

Wow Cath! You must be psychic! I do have GAS!

SUIM-ing upstream
Old 12-28-2003, 10:06 PM   #21
Janice

The condensed version is that one of my friends started an acoustic music concert series here in San Diego and I help him out. We both were discouraged that most of the folks we liked to see/listen to never came to this area, due largely to the lack of an appropriate venue for small to medium concerts. What we do has the warmth and intimacy of a house concert, but since neither of us had a big enough house, Carey rents one of two side-by side locations (depending on our size need) in one of our local communities to present these concerts. So far we've hosted Jack Williams, Darryl Purpose, Geoff Muldaur, Chuck Pyle, Mark Erelli, John McEuen, and Robby Longley. They are all wonderful acoustic performers with varied influences and backgrounds, such as traditional folk, pop, folk/rock, country, jazz, blues and most recently, neo-classical/flaminco (never thought I'd care for that style, but he was great!). The main thing all of our performers have in common is that they are all acoustic and they are all songwriters and they are all wonderful performers.

Upcoming, we have Peter Case Jan. 17, Chris Hillman/Herb Pedersen Jan. 24th (with a banjo/mandolin workshop that afternoon, prior to the show), The Kennedys Feb. 20th, our first return engagement - Jack Williams Feb. 22nd, and Ellis Paul/Vance Gilbert Feb. 29th.

Just before the John McEuen concert, Deering Banjos, one of the largest North American manufacturers located right here in San Diego, donated a banjo that we could raffle to raise the money needed for additional sound equipment, equipment maintainence, lighting, etc., so we could continue to bring these fine performers to our area. (the bulk of ticket sales pretty much goes to the performer - this is definitely a labor of love on our part)

So, if you're in the area and want more information on the concert series or want to get on our mailing list, visit our web site, www.AcousticMusic.com/SanDiego. If you're interested in raffle tickets, the contact information is also there, or you can email Carey at CareyDriscoll@peoplepc.com or myself at janicer@sbcglobal.net for more information. (If you email Carey, just tell him Janice sent you)

I apologize for posting this here instead of in Small Talk, but here is where I was asked about it - I'm sure Gord wouldn't mind, even if some of the rest of you do

Janice
Old 12-28-2003, 10:28 PM   #22
Janice

Yeah, so would I.
Janice, you should post about the concert and raffle on alt.banjo, too. If I remember correctly, there are several players on that group from your area. I wish I could make it out for the show. I'm seriously considering coming out sometime this year to see Derek. I was thinking about April, but Ed has plans for some of us meeting in Atlanta around that time.

Thanks for the tip regarding alt.banjo, Cathy. You definitely need to come out to visit Derek - real soon. I'm sure that would mean I'd get to see you too since I know my way to Northern California and that would be great! It's been too long since last April!