banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
CoryM

If you live to see the day when the painter stops painting...the day when someone has to pry the withered brush from his stiffened fingers, will you be able to make it through the rest of that day as planned? Will you have to leave work? Will you have to be alone, or with those you love? Will you always remember where you were and what you were doing at the moment when you received the news? Move over Elvis.

------------------
knightmoves
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #2
knightmoves

If you live to see the day when the painter stops painting...the day when someone has to pry the withered brush from his stiffened fingers, will you be able to make it through the rest of that day as planned? Will you have to leave work? Will you have to be alone, or with those you love? Will you always remember where you were and what you were doing at the moment when you received the news? Move over Elvis.

------------------
knightmoves
knightmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
Borderstone

I know this is just a question and/or speculation on a very distant future event but I have to ask Knightmoves......Are you "trying" to depress us or something??!

I think it's safe to say folks up here would grieve him almost like they would a member of their own family. I doubt however that they will leave work or school. If a family member goes,then that's something you do,but much like last year when I heard about John Ritter's sudden passing,I went on working until I went home.

Lastly,if we stopped everything everytime someone famous passed on,we'd spend 1/2 our lives in mourning.

Please,he's recovered he's regainig,if not regained his health and is maybe getting ready to tour early. So,no offense,but no more talk about Gordon Lightfoot in thepast or near past tense!

It's been me,and remember....."Gray skies are gonna clear up,put on a Windex shine!" Oh,wait! "That's put on a happy face!" Later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited April 20, 2004).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
CoryM

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
I know this is just a question and/or speculation on a very distant future event but I have to ask Knightmoves......Are you "trying" to depress us or something??!

I think it's safe to say folks up here would grieve him almost like they would a member of their own family. I doubt however that they will leave work or school. If a family member goes,then that's something you do,but much like last year when I heard about John Ritter's sudden passing,I went on working until I went home.

Lastly,if we stopped everything everytime someone famous passed on,we'd spend 1/2 our lives in mourning.

Please,he's recovered he's regainig,if not regained his health and is maybe getting ready to tour early. So,no offense,but no more talk about Gordon Lightfoot in thepast or near past tense!

It's been me,and remember....."Gray skies are gonna clear up,put on a Windex shine!" Oh,wait! "That's put on a happy face!" Later!

Old 04-20-2004, 08:17 AM   #5
knightmoves

Old 04-20-2004, 08:59 AM   #6
Tyler

Good job Borderstone. This was too morbid to answer.
Edited because of fat fingers.

[This message has been edited by brink (edited April 20, 2004).]
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:59 AM   #7
brink

Good job Borderstone. This was too morbid to answer.
Edited because of fat fingers.

[This message has been edited by brink (edited April 20, 2004).]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
DMD3

I'll be able to manage, this I know because I did when my Grandad died. What I wonder is if there will be any lyrics stuck in my head like there was at the funeral home. When I saw my dad & aunt crying over the casket the lyrics "all of my children are healthy and sane they may say anything that they like" kept playing over and over in my head.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
DMD3

I'll be able to manage, this I know because I did when my Grandad died. What I wonder is if there will be any lyrics stuck in my head like there was at the funeral home. When I saw my dad & aunt crying over the casket the lyrics "all of my children are healthy and sane they may say anything that they like" kept playing over and over in my head.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #10
CoryM

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
Thanks for your input DMD3. I remember where I was when I heard over the radio, that Elvis had died. I felt a little foolish sitting in the backseat of my parents car crying my eyes out. Thank you for not trying to dictate to me what I should, and should not talk about on this website (as others have), as long as it is related to GL, and there is no profanity involved, I dont see anything wrong with it. My subject was too depressing (apparently) for some people. (Holy smokes...Get a grip!!!)Maybe these same people would like to see all of the sad songs about death and loss (like Home From the Forest, or Ed Fitz)taken off the radio. Maybe those songs are too depressing and should not be allowed. We all know GL is recovering nicely, I just gave a hypathetical situation for anyone to use their imagination and comment on. It could have been a touching topic to many people here. If they dont like it, they can ignore it, or comment in a way that does not sound like you are trying to tell someone else how they should think or what they should write. I take my thoughts, my imagination, and my creativity seriously. I dont pick apart or condemn anyone elses subject lines, and I would appreciate the same from others.

------------------
knightmoves
Old 04-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #11
knightmoves

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
Thanks for your input DMD3. I remember where I was when I heard over the radio, that Elvis had died. I felt a little foolish sitting in the backseat of my parents car crying my eyes out. Thank you for not trying to dictate to me what I should, and should not talk about on this website (as others have), as long as it is related to GL, and there is no profanity involved, I dont see anything wrong with it. My subject was too depressing (apparently) for some people. (Holy smokes...Get a grip!!!)Maybe these same people would like to see all of the sad songs about death and loss (like Home From the Forest, or Ed Fitz)taken off the radio. Maybe those songs are too depressing and should not be allowed. We all know GL is recovering nicely, I just gave a hypathetical situation for anyone to use their imagination and comment on. It could have been a touching topic to many people here. If they dont like it, they can ignore it, or comment in a way that does not sound like you are trying to tell someone else how they should think or what they should write. I take my thoughts, my imagination, and my creativity seriously. I dont pick apart or condemn anyone elses subject lines, and I would appreciate the same from others.

------------------
knightmoves
Old 04-20-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
ricky Jay

I would be very depressed, needless to say

Unfortunately, this is an inevitable event that will occur someday It's a very sad thing but the best thing we can do is to figure out how we would commemorate him after he "stopped painting." If we already appreciate him as much as we do now, the appreciation for him will increase a thousandfold afterwards.

[This message has been edited by Shazia (edited April 20, 2004).]
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:51 PM   #13
Shazia

I would be very depressed, needless to say

Unfortunately, this is an inevitable event that will occur someday It's a very sad thing but the best thing we can do is to figure out how we would commemorate him after he "stopped painting." If we already appreciate him as much as we do now, the appreciation for him will increase a thousandfold afterwards.

[This message has been edited by Shazia (edited April 20, 2004).]
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:11 PM   #14
Jayne

He'll only be as gone as we let him be. He'll not only live on in our lives, especially when we pop in a favorite CD, but in the lives of the school children who learn about Canadian history through CRT or Crossroads of Time... through the people who play The Ponyman for their kids... through the artists who have been inspired and influenced by him. It really is a very, very rich legacy, and I'm very glad that he's around to see it for himself; that circumstances have been as generous to him as he himself has always been to others.

What an amazing live he's living!
Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:11 PM   #15
Old Dan

He'll only be as gone as we let him be. He'll not only live on in our lives, especially when we pop in a favorite CD, but in the lives of the school children who learn about Canadian history through CRT or Crossroads of Time... through the people who play The Ponyman for their kids... through the artists who have been inspired and influenced by him. It really is a very, very rich legacy, and I'm very glad that he's around to see it for himself; that circumstances have been as generous to him as he himself has always been to others.

What an amazing live he's living!
Old Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:56 AM   #16
Borderstone

No offense intended Knightmoves. Just my personal feelings about it all. I will say that it would make ittough for awhile to listen to his music.
Just like right now,I still really have trouble laughing at "3's Company",due to Ritter's passing. This was a show that literally made me fall out of the chair too!
Gotta go.

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:06 AM   #17
CoryM

No offense intended Knightmoves. Just my personal feelings about it all. I will say that it would make ittough for awhile to listen to his music.
Just like right now,I still really have trouble laughing at "3's Company",due to Ritter's passing. This was a show that literally made me fall out of the chair too!
Gotta go.

Maybe you didnt realize it , but it seemed you were replying to my original posting in a condescending manner. I dont know if you noticed, but another member jumped on the same bandwagon right after that reply. I want to avoid the event that fellow members think I am trying to bring them down. I would never intend to do that. I take great pleasure in reading most of the postings here most of the time, and think that it would be a pleasure getting to know alot of these members personaly, if it were ever possible. Anyway, I dont think anyone meant any real harm here, and I hope to hear more of your input in the future BS.
That was a big surprise with John Ritter. I watched most of those episodes, and thought the whole cast was great. I was also shocked when John Candy passed away. He was still young like Ritter, and I felt that we lost alot by losing them, on terms of the fact that they could have contributed so much more laughter, in our lives. I am however, very happy with what they did contribute.

------------------
knightmoves
Old 04-21-2004, 08:06 AM   #18
knightmoves

Gotta go.

Maybe you didnt realize it , but it seemed you were replying to my original posting in a condescending manner. I dont know if you noticed, but another member jumped on the same bandwagon right after that reply. I want to avoid the event that fellow members think I am trying to bring them down. I would never intend to do that. I take great pleasure in reading most of the postings here most of the time, and think that it would be a pleasure getting to know alot of these members personaly, if it were ever possible. Anyway, I dont think anyone meant any real harm here, and I hope to hear more of your input in the future BS.
That was a big surprise with John Ritter. I watched most of those episodes, and thought the whole cast was great. I was also shocked when John Candy passed away. He was still young like Ritter, and I felt that we lost alot by losing them, on terms of the fact that they could have contributed so much more laughter, in our lives. I am however, very happy with what they did contribute.

------------------
knightmoves
Old 04-21-2004, 04:51 PM   #19
ricky Jay

people listen to classical music, and those composers have been dead for hundreds of years
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:51 PM   #20
Shazia

people listen to classical music, and those composers have been dead for hundreds of years
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote