banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
horizonfound

Default New Video Coming: "Looking At The Rain" Intro/Finale

We're at the final editing stage of our new video. This has two parts . First, there is a recreation of Gordon Lightfoot's guitar Introduction to his fine ballad "Looking At The Rain"...it's buried somewhat in the Right Channel mix; but, it's a beautiful guitar part and greatly under-appreciated (like ALL of Gordon's fine finger-style work...). I'm happy with the way this turned out...

The second part, the "topper" here, is the 3-guitar finale for "Looking At The Rain." This is to satisfy the heartfelt request of Kenyon Wallace. Because of the high profile bass of Rick Haynes, and the heavy orchestration, I was hesitant to offer this up as a video thinking it would not sound LARGE enough or even give the impression of the experience of hearing the ending to that song on the LP. So, unlike the recreated opening to "Don Quixote," which mirrors the recording, this effort faced steep sonic limitations before I ever picked up a guitar. Having said that, I hope that what we're putting together will not be a disappointment and that it will find an audience. It was the best I could do with just the three guitars! Finally, I'm offering on-screen tab for all of the above (nothing slowed down...). We'll try to launch it tonight or tomorrow at the latest. So, stay tuned!
horizonfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
horizonfound

Default Re: New Video Coming: "Looking At The Rain" Intro/Finale

Okay folks, It just went live....I don't have a link yet. Here's the title: "Gordon Lightfoot: Looking at the Rain Tutorial Intro & Big Finale Recreated"

Please be sure to leave a comment (subscribe if you haven't already!), and a thumbs up if you like what you're seeing on my YouTube Channel! I'm happy to answer questions....please review the comments to my other YouTube videos. By all means, feel free to ask me questions here as well! ....Have fun everybody!

Last edited by horizonfound; 09-08-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:35 AM   #3
Martyn Miles

It prompted me to ‘dig out’ the original song.
I’d forgotten what a reflective little number it is...
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
3pennies

Clapton's version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDu6-QW8RY
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #5
paskatefan

I had NO idea that Clapton recorded it! Nicely done - I think Gordon would approve!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
I had NO idea that Clapton recorded it! Nicely done - I think Gordon would approve!Gail
Gail it just goes to show what you can miss if you are not paying attention!!
Char pointed it out nearly 7 years ago see:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=26556a

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
horizonfound

"Looking At The Rain" is one of my favorite songs of all time..let alone Gordon Lightfoot songs. Clearly, for Eric Clapton , this is the case as well; or, he wouldn't have chosen it for this project and performed it with such faithfulness to Gordon's original (including even the feel of Gordon's guitar part!). Thank you for alerting us to his cover-version!

In a private email here, when I announced I would do this video/tutorial, I was informed that there was an earlier 1969 radio show iteration of the song that was a featured track on the 2 CD set: "Gordon Lightfoot: "Skip Weshner Radio Show 1968-1970." It's cool to hear an early version before Gordon worked the song into it's final form: the guitar part features finger-picking with the individual notes in succession rather than the notes being plucked together in pairs as in the LP version (as seen in my video intro). The late great under-appreciated Mickey Newbury developed his entire self-taught right-hand technique around that 2-finger plucking technique (on a gut string Ramirez guitar) that I'll cover in future videos. Gordon's right-hand technique is really superb. He has great chops, and some eccentric rhythms he'll employ to add variety (including when he simply strums!). His other-worldly voice captures most of the attention (as well it should); but, not at the expense of his songwriting and guitar playing prowess...it's all of a piece even if it's unheralded by the general listener. WE appreciate every bit of it, don't we? Another point of interest, in that 1969 radio version, is the difference in the chords for the following line (Capo 2!): "..waiting for a line [Bm] to fall [F#m], [Bm] telling you that it's [F#m] all a, big mis-take [Em]...Three years later, in finished form for the LP, the chords had evolved as follows (Capo 1): "..waiting for a line [Bm] to fall [Am7], [Gmaj7] telling you that it's all it's [D/F#] all a, big mis-take [Em]...". Both versions work; but, the final version is far superior and one of the most clever chord transitions in Gordon's entire canon of work (in my humble opinion anyway). What do you folks think?

Last edited by horizonfound; 09-10-2019 at 08:01 PM.