banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-17-2000, 10:12 PM   #1
charlene

I don't now what it is but I still can't believe the love that people have for Gord from all over the world! It just about kills me to think that he is so beloved - to the degree (never more) that I love him. It is beyond my understanding, well no I understand it but I just am amazed! You people are just incredible and it is an affirmation of my faith in my love and admiration for Gord that so many others feel the same. It's that "Same Old Obsesssion"
It warms my heart and makes me smile - it really does!
The blessing of Gord in my life is not something that can be measured in any way. It just IS.
Char
This was something I posted on another post but I wanted all of you to know how I felt.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2000, 10:12 PM   #2
charlene

I don't now what it is but I still can't believe the love that people have for Gord from all over the world! It just about kills me to think that he is so beloved - to the degree (never more) that I love him. It is beyond my understanding, well no I understand it but I just am amazed! You people are just incredible and it is an affirmation of my faith in my love and admiration for Gord that so many others feel the same. It's that "Same Old Obsesssion"
It warms my heart and makes me smile - it really does!
The blessing of Gord in my life is not something that can be measured in any way. It just IS.
Char
This was something I posted on another post but I wanted all of you to know how I felt.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2000, 12:02 AM   #3
jennybryce

I agree, Charlene! Sometimes it's hard to explain to aquaintances exactly how I feel about Gord, and what he has meant to my life. For many years I just kept quiet about it and shared my feelings with only a few, mainly my husband and children who grew up with Gord's music always on the stereo. Even my late father developed an appreciation for his music through me,and enjoyed listening to Gord whenever he would come to visit. Over the years I have found only a few friends who share the same passion about this man, his music and lyrics. These are the friends who will drive hours to get to a concert and get home at 3 a.m., only to get up and go to work by 6:30! No matter what is happening in my life, there seems to be one of his songs that fits right in. Whenever I listen to his music I feel a tremendous sense of "everything fitting together" in my life, if that makes any sense at all! It has been so wonderful to find this discussion group and know that there are so many others out there who feel the same as I do! Thanks, Florian, and to all of you who express yourselves so sincerely about your love for Gord and all he brings to our lives.
Anne
jennybryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2000, 12:02 AM   #4
Anne

I agree, Charlene! Sometimes it's hard to explain to aquaintances exactly how I feel about Gord, and what he has meant to my life. For many years I just kept quiet about it and shared my feelings with only a few, mainly my husband and children who grew up with Gord's music always on the stereo. Even my late father developed an appreciation for his music through me,and enjoyed listening to Gord whenever he would come to visit. Over the years I have found only a few friends who share the same passion about this man, his music and lyrics. These are the friends who will drive hours to get to a concert and get home at 3 a.m., only to get up and go to work by 6:30! No matter what is happening in my life, there seems to be one of his songs that fits right in. Whenever I listen to his music I feel a tremendous sense of "everything fitting together" in my life, if that makes any sense at all! It has been so wonderful to find this discussion group and know that there are so many others out there who feel the same as I do! Thanks, Florian, and to all of you who express yourselves so sincerely about your love for Gord and all he brings to our lives.
Anne
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2000, 09:18 PM   #5
rainydayperson

Anne...Getting home at 3:00 A.M. and getting back up at 6:00 to go to work all on the account of a Gordon Lightfoot concert. That say's a great deal about the one whom we pay tribute to over this wonderfull site that Florian has blessed us with. To Gordon, Florian and all of you I tip my hat. Thank you.

rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2000, 09:18 PM   #6
classicmixdj

Anne...Getting home at 3:00 A.M. and getting back up at 6:00 to go to work all on the account of a Gordon Lightfoot concert. That say's a great deal about the one whom we pay tribute to over this wonderfull site that Florian has blessed us with. To Gordon, Florian and all of you I tip my hat. Thank you.

classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2000, 06:44 PM   #7
Karen

have to say this is a wonderful website, i come in here everyday. i just have to say that it was always a dream of mine to meet gord, and then it happened, he is everything i thought he was, so kind soft spoken, and very humble, i have met people from all over who feel the way we all feel, he is very loved, and i dont think he has a clue about the way his music has an effect on the people who love him so dearly. his music will play on long after he is gone, he is the one and only and always will be.
rose
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2000, 06:44 PM   #8
Rose

have to say this is a wonderful website, i come in here everyday. i just have to say that it was always a dream of mine to meet gord, and then it happened, he is everything i thought he was, so kind soft spoken, and very humble, i have met people from all over who feel the way we all feel, he is very loved, and i dont think he has a clue about the way his music has an effect on the people who love him so dearly. his music will play on long after he is gone, he is the one and only and always will be.
rose
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2000, 02:59 PM   #9
fezo

quote:Originally posted by Rose:
rose

Like all of us, I come in everyday because
it feels so good to be with others who love, admire and respect Gordon Lightfoot and his music. He is the Master and always will be.His music has the magic to lift one's spirit, to heal even and to sometimes enlighten. I wonder if he truly realises how much he means to us all.

fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2000, 02:59 PM   #10
Silver Heels

quote:Originally posted by Rose:
rose

Like all of us, I come in everyday because
it feels so good to be with others who love, admire and respect Gordon Lightfoot and his music. He is the Master and always will be.His music has the magic to lift one's spirit, to heal even and to sometimes enlighten. I wonder if he truly realises how much he means to us all.

Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2000, 01:03 AM   #11
dill23

Silver Heels,

I must share something with you about the last sentence of your post. I have a friend, her name is Kaki Hunter. Perhaps some of you may remember her from her acting days some fifteen years ago as her character of Wendy in all the Porkey's films. She of course did other films and was considered one of the brightest newcomers to Hollywood. She dumped her acting career flat. Still won't tell me why, so I don't press the issue. However, just last weekend we were talking and I said to her, "It must be a terrible thing to go to bed every night knowing that you touched the lives of millions of people with your humor, your tenderness, your sweetness and your beauty. To have shown us all just a little bit of who each of us are thru the characters you portrayed." She answered, "I try not to think about it. It's too much of a resposibility and it can drive a person crazy."

So I think that is how anyone like Gordon handles it. They do what they do and they are thankful to be doing it. But there isn't a single day of my life for the last thirty-five years that he hasn't been in there some place. Some line, some thought, some lesson that he passed on to all of us. He said he thinks he's "merely blessed." What does that make us?
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2000, 01:03 AM   #12
Rob Wells

Silver Heels,

I must share something with you about the last sentence of your post. I have a friend, her name is Kaki Hunter. Perhaps some of you may remember her from her acting days some fifteen years ago as her character of Wendy in all the Porkey's films. She of course did other films and was considered one of the brightest newcomers to Hollywood. She dumped her acting career flat. Still won't tell me why, so I don't press the issue. However, just last weekend we were talking and I said to her, "It must be a terrible thing to go to bed every night knowing that you touched the lives of millions of people with your humor, your tenderness, your sweetness and your beauty. To have shown us all just a little bit of who each of us are thru the characters you portrayed." She answered, "I try not to think about it. It's too much of a resposibility and it can drive a person crazy."

So I think that is how anyone like Gordon handles it. They do what they do and they are thankful to be doing it. But there isn't a single day of my life for the last thirty-five years that he hasn't been in there some place. Some line, some thought, some lesson that he passed on to all of us. He said he thinks he's "merely blessed." What does that make us?
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2000, 11:01 AM   #13
~The Gypsy~

Well put, Rob, as always. Just yesterday I was thinking that a site like this, filled with almost fanatical adulation, has to have an affect on the the person being discussed. I know, it comes with stardom but in some ways I hope GL never sees these outpourings. It does create a resposibility, even for the not famous. I happen to have a very dear friend who has several people that are tragically dependant on her and she mentions every now and then what an incredible resposibility and pressure it is to be in that situation. To have a million people even somewhat dependant on you, as I think we are here, can certainly be just too much.

The differance, though, is that GL can take comfort in knowing that if not another song is written, not another concert is performed, he has achieved his mission in life and has it all preserved on the magical medium of music. It IS curative as well as entertaining. I've been toying with the idea of starting a topic "Dr. Lightfoot, I presume" and seeing in how many different ways and situations we here have benefitted from his work and counsel. I know I have--many, many times. We are all blessed here; GL with the creative genius and we(esp Florian and Char), with the ability to recognize and appreciate it.

A side note: SilverHeels--loved your post on Christian Island, made my night. God, I wish I could be him!! lol

And to that dear friend of mine, who just happens to be in Orillia as I write, please have a safe 10 hour drive home!! "I wish I could see you, somehow..."

------------------
"Is there someone sewing seams through all my hopes..."

[This message has been edited by shipwrecked00 (edited July 01, 2000).]
~The Gypsy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2000, 11:01 AM   #14
shipwrecked00

Well put, Rob, as always. Just yesterday I was thinking that a site like this, filled with almost fanatical adulation, has to have an affect on the the person being discussed. I know, it comes with stardom but in some ways I hope GL never sees these outpourings. It does create a resposibility, even for the not famous. I happen to have a very dear friend who has several people that are tragically dependant on her and she mentions every now and then what an incredible resposibility and pressure it is to be in that situation. To have a million people even somewhat dependant on you, as I think we are here, can certainly be just too much.

The differance, though, is that GL can take comfort in knowing that if not another song is written, not another concert is performed, he has achieved his mission in life and has it all preserved on the magical medium of music. It IS curative as well as entertaining. I've been toying with the idea of starting a topic "Dr. Lightfoot, I presume" and seeing in how many different ways and situations we here have benefitted from his work and counsel. I know I have--many, many times. We are all blessed here; GL with the creative genius and we(esp Florian and Char), with the ability to recognize and appreciate it.

A side note: SilverHeels--loved your post on Christian Island, made my night. God, I wish I could be him!! lol

And to that dear friend of mine, who just happens to be in Orillia as I write, please have a safe 10 hour drive home!! "I wish I could see you, somehow..."

------------------

[This message has been edited by shipwrecked00 (edited July 01, 2000).]
shipwrecked00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2000, 10:09 AM   #15
leslie owens

Hello all.....
i am new to the boards here...but not new to gordy and his music.
i'm 32 yrs old and have listened to gordy since i was 13...while all the other kids were listening to kiss and the bay city rollers and disco, there was something about gordon lightfoots music that reached in and grabbed me....actually i was lucky.....my best friend at the time...kelly....was also very much into gordy.....we listened to him while we got ready for school in the morning and then when we'd get dressed up for prom night or double dates......when i got my first apartment i blasted him on the stereo.
i was recently in iceland for a month taking care of my father in law until he passed away....we were pretty much stuck at his parents house throughout that month..they needed us 24 hours a day.....my husband and i would paint together at night and listen to nothing but gordon lightfoot...it was very relaxing after a day of looking after a terminally ill 87 yr old man...how restful his voice is...
i am so happy to have found this website and this bulletin board!......everybody seems to be so cool and so into gordy!!......i thought i was crazy because i am so obsessed with him....but i see now that i am not alone!!!....thank god!.......finally, a place to vent!.....a place to get news about gordy!! this is great!!!.
thank you to whoever put up and maintains this site! great idea, great job......

------------------
jenifer
leslie owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2000, 10:09 AM   #16
~The Gypsy~

Hello all.....
i'm 32 yrs old and have listened to gordy since i was 13...while all the other kids were listening to kiss and the bay city rollers and disco, there was something about gordon lightfoots music that reached in and grabbed me....actually i was lucky.....my best friend at the time...kelly....was also very much into gordy.....we listened to him while we got ready for school in the morning and then when we'd get dressed up for prom night or double dates......when i got my first apartment i blasted him on the stereo.
i was recently in iceland for a month taking care of my father in law until he passed away....we were pretty much stuck at his parents house throughout that month..they needed us 24 hours a day.....my husband and i would paint together at night and listen to nothing but gordon lightfoot...it was very relaxing after a day of looking after a terminally ill 87 yr old man...how restful his voice is...
i am so happy to have found this website and this bulletin board!......everybody seems to be so cool and so into gordy!!......i thought i was crazy because i am so obsessed with him....but i see now that i am not alone!!!....thank god!.......finally, a place to vent!.....a place to get news about gordy!! this is great!!!.
thank you to whoever put up and maintains this site! great idea, great job......

------------------
jenifer
Old 07-02-2000, 10:19 PM   #17
jmpnjakflsh

I was always partial to Gordon in college. However listening to his music when I was going through my divorce in the '80s pulled me through that horrible time. He brings forth all the emotions - but you are always left with a feeling of hopefulness and optimism.
jmpnjakflsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2000, 10:19 PM   #18
Karen

I was always partial to Gordon in college. However listening to his music when I was going through my divorce in the '80s pulled me through that horrible time. He brings forth all the emotions - but you are always left with a feeling of hopefulness and optimism.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2000, 03:00 PM   #19
fezo

quote:Originally posted by Rob Wells:
Silver Heels,

Thanks Rob, that was a nice story. Like you and so many of us, Gord has touched my life in so many ways and he will continue to do so
for a long time to come - forever and then some. We are all blessed - Gord for being the inspiration and us lot for being so inspired by him.
Old 07-03-2000, 03:00 PM   #20
Silver Heels

quote:Originally posted by Rob Wells:
Silver Heels,

Thanks Rob, that was a nice story. Like you and so many of us, Gord has touched my life in so many ways and he will continue to do so
for a long time to come - forever and then some. We are all blessed - Gord for being the inspiration and us lot for being so inspired by him.
Old 07-03-2000, 03:08 PM   #21
fezo

quote:Originally posted by ~The Gypsy~:
Hello all.....

Welcome Gypsy,
Florian is the man to thank for this superb site. He's given us the room to meet and chat and discuss Gord - our 'magnificent obsession'. Its always great to meet another
obsessive!

Old 07-03-2000, 03:08 PM   #22
Silver Heels

quote:Originally posted by ~The Gypsy~:
Hello all.....

Welcome Gypsy,
Florian is the man to thank for this superb site. He's given us the room to meet and chat and discuss Gord - our 'magnificent obsession'. Its always great to meet another
obsessive!

Old 07-03-2000, 03:50 PM   #23
leslie owens

hello silverheels and thank you for the welcome! and to you florian?....thank you for the website!..it is obvious how much heart and soul went into the making of it!
thank you for giving us gordfans a place to meet!
leslie owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2000, 03:50 PM   #24
~The Gypsy~

hello silverheels and thank you for the welcome! and to you florian?....thank you for the website!..it is obvious how much heart and soul went into the making of it!
thank you for giving us gordfans a place to meet!
Old 07-03-2000, 07:35 PM   #25
~The Gypsy~

Karen, sorry t/b slow to post re: Divorce & GL in the 80s. I assure you it was no different last year (hence my "name"). I practically wore out Disc 4 with all those Shadows and Rarity cuts that seemed SO on the mark, yet comforting, as you said. I was curious though, as to which you used during that time. Broken Dreams is still #1 on my chart with Romance, Someone To Believe In, In My Fashion, Heaven Don't Deserve Me, the start of Now And Then and yes, Sundown.

Wish I had Heaven Help The Devil on CD though!

------------------