banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
dray7austin

Default Gordon Autographs

Hello everyone. I was hoping some could maybe help me in search of an answer regarding Gordon's signature. This past February when my wife and I met Gordon in Austin, he was kind enough to auotgraph a few items for us. We had him personalize each item because it is our intent to never sell them and they are always to be for us. But in the past when Gordon's signature was so very beautiful and flowed with the grace of an painter, this time each signature varied in look.We noticed on two of the signatures the he completely left out the "g" in Lightfoot. And his name Gordon varied on each. One without the "d". And ones he signed for others he signed in the same manner. Now that being said, on my Sundown album cover he wrote in the guitar pictured, "To David, Happy Birthday Gordon Lightfoot". He slowly wrote it very very small to fit in the guitar but every letter is there. Then on my wife's cd cover, he personalized hers but only wrote a partial "g" in Lightfoot. Then on her Harmony cd cover no "d" in Gordon nor is there a "g" and only partial "h" in Lightfoot. No matter how they look we cherish each one. But we were wondering if his signatures vary because he's getting older or maybe he doesn't want people selling them on eBay? Wondering what others thought. In the past I've had celebs sign items while being rushed with the signature not being legible. But Gordon was so relaxed while signing for us and talking all the while.

Now, just two weeks ago I went on to eBay, and saw many autographs written in the manner that I have described. Missing "g"'s partial "h"'s and the sort. Although I have always tried not to buy any of Gordon's signatures on eBay because I don't want to support those taking advantage of Gordon, I did buy one autographed lp cover because opening bid was only $9.95. I figured that someone would outbid me for sure. But I won it for $9.95. How did I win it at such a low bid? Why didn't anyone else bid against me? Well, the signature was missing the letter "g" in Lightfoot. And the "G" in Gordon was completely open at the bottom which is how he signed each of ours also. If Gordon is trying to prevent eBay sellers from making money, he's doing a good job. But maybe with age, Gordon's signature is just changing.

And in closing. I have been meaning to post a few great photos from 2007 of Gordon sitting in his car after the show signing autographs. These are great photos with Gordon's hair a little shorter and he's wearing reading glasses. But I have been afraid to post them. Because a few months back I noticed photos very similar to mine on eBay as a seller was was trying to sell his Gordon autographs. He was another fellow who was in the crowd with us who held up the line by having Gordon autograph six or seven different records he wanted sign with different pens. And he was annoying as anything also. So much so that Barry Harvey was getting very upset and was telling me that it's people like that who ruin it for everyone else. I think the main reason Barry stopped the car was because of something that happened earlier at the show concerning my wife and I. Because after the show when Gordon was driving out of the gated area, Barry recognized us and whispered to me to stay because he was gonna stop Gordon for us. In which he did. God bless him. Within six months Barry would be leaving us. When I do post these pics, I just want everyone to know that I'm not the guy using similar shots of Gordon on eBay. And with it I shall tell the whole story on why Barry stopped the car for us. It will give those who didn't know Barry, a clearer glimpse into the soul of such a beautiful human being. I apologize for writing so much here when I really just wanted to know if any others have noticed a change in Gordon's signatures? Thank you for your time. Always for Gordon.

Last edited by dray7austin; 05-03-2014 at 10:21 PM.
dray7austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Gordon Autographs

Some nights Gordon has problems with his hands-you'll see him flexing his fingers and shaking his hands..I imagine some of it could be realtewd to the TIA a few years ago and most to just age and fatigue..When he holds a Sharpie and signs many autographs it is reflected in the signatures. Barry and now Warren try to limit the autographs each person gets. There are a couple of guys who seem to be everywhere and have endless amounts of stuff for Gordon to sign. Last year at one show one of them must have had 30 items and had them all laid out on a table and the floor. Warren told him in no short order he could pick 2 and that was all. Then the guy tried to get in line in front of people who were waiting their turn. He was ignorant and rude and obviously only interested in what he could sell things for. A fan such as yourself would never behave that way nor expect Gordon after a long night and many days on the road to stand and sign all kinds of things-especially when there's a crowd waiting for him and then he still has people outside to talk with.
I have a variety of styles of Lightfoot autographs over the years and one that just says To Char, Love Gordon. I said, "Just Gordon?".. he laffed, and looked at me and said "You know who I am!".lol..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
dray7austin

That's such a nice story Charlene of Gordon only signing his first name. As for my wife and I, our rule is always to have an artist autograph one item for the each of us. And always personalize it to us. This time we did ask for a total of three from Gordon. Myself the album. My wife two cd covers. But we waited until the very end purposely just because Lori did feel bad about asking for two and didn't want to hold up the line. But that was because my wife couldn't decide what cd to have signed. She debated it over and over. Even one of the security guards helped with our decision by suggesting Lori ask for both. And they will be items that will forever remain in our possession. He made our dreams come true. Thank you Gordon. And Warren. Peace and love to everyone.

Last edited by dray7austin; 05-05-2014 at 03:08 AM.
dray7austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Kelly Davis

My wife and I have quite a few Gordon autographs over the years since 1999.

His handwriting has indeed changed dramatically.

4 or 5 years ago, Gordon was signing and said, "I'm getting to the point where I can barely write my name."

I will always tresure every autograph I can get, since indeed Gordon is advancing in years.

Kelly Davis

Last edited by Kelly Davis; 05-06-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote