banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
tinacee1

I have been listening to a track I found on the internet with Gordon and Terry called Dark in the Dungeon about coalmining.It is a great track - I assume Terry is doing the vocals - is Gordon playing the guitar on this song? Any information about Terry Whelan and or The Two Tones would be greatly appreciated.

Tinacee
Old 09-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

Terry died last year (see obit from the Orillia Packet & Times below). If you search through this discussion list under "Whelan" you will find several posts about Terry and some about The Two Tones. No mention of Gord specifically but Gord had two barbershop groups in high school, so I assume at least one included Terry.

Deaths
WHELAN, Thomas Phillip (Terry) - At the Toronto
General Hospital on Saturday, July 31st, 2004.
Terry Whelan, of Washago, beloved husband & best friend of Susan St. Onge. Father of Shea (Lara) Whelan and step-father of Jennifer (Marty) Pepper & Katelyn (Brandon) Mitchell. Grand-father of Liam, Ryan, Cameron & Jackson. Brother of Lynn (Howard) Hamilton. Predeceased by parents Thomas & Phyllis. Terry will be lovingly remembered by his nieces, nephews & special friends Gary & Barb Lovelace, Roy & Andrea Smith, Bob Haley, Bill & Sue Hawkins & Gwen Kavanagh.
Terry had a special love of music which started early in his life with barbershop singing while in high school. This led him to local theatre art groups and he was later a harmony singer with the Tom deMoraes Orchestra & the Glenn Miller Band. In lieu of flowers, memorial donation made to any local youth musical organization would be gratefully appreciated. As per Terry's request, following cremation there will be a Private Family Memorial Service held at a later date. Messages of condolence are welcome
at www.mundellfuneralhome.com
8/3/2004 - ID4522359
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
tinacee1

Thanks for repling so fast. I am saddened to hear about the death of Terry last year. To tell you the truth I just discovered him when I clicked onto a track that was on the internet. Then I found out about the connection with Gordon. I am trying to find some music by Terry.
I will certainly be spending a lot of time on this site - it's great to be with like minded people. I am off work at the moment.
Thanks again.
Do you know if Gordon will be coming to the UK in the future by any chance?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

I haven't heard of any plans to do so - some UK folks plan a trip around the concerts on this continent, though I know many people can't afford that.

His current tour dates are posted on the home page for this site, Wayne Francis' list and pollstar's. 2006 venues have not yet been announced.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by tinacee1:

Do you know if Gordon will be coming to the UK in the future by any chance?
General response for tinacee1 re her UK concerts and Two Tones questions and also Chris
Parsons to his other topic
Firstly welcome to the forum Tinacee
and congratulations on your first two postings (according to your profile you had registered as long ago as January 2004 what took you so long??
Regarding the Two Tones this is the cover of their only album from 1962

Two Tones at the Village Corner Toronto
as you can see both Gord and Terry are playing guitars
the vinyl album was digitised as a CD and ebay auctioned frequently by a succession of British sellers one of whom also created jewel case insert artwork

A larger rear insert view showing track list
(there is also a "plus" version which includes the two sides of the Two Tones single
"Pretty Polly" plus a cover of Cliff Richards' Summer Holiday song "Lessons In Love"
As for the question posed by both of you asking "if Gordon will be coming to the UK in the future"
please pay $64,000 or at least a transatlantic airfare!!!
An increasing number of Brits have resorted to just that possibly starting with myself in November 1999. and including Bruna Zanelli from Shirley, Dan O'Malley from London and several others.
Backstage at Massey Hall im 1999 I actually videotaped Gord saying "We gotta get back to Britain" the same words he had used just before that in the BBC Radio Merseyside interview with Spenser Leigh (unfortunately I inadvertently recorded over that vital piece of videotape).I believe Gord is not happy flying such a long distance nowadays and especially since his 2002 aneurism I doubt if he would be inclined to come over and be far from known medical experts.
Very wise as I guess you appreciate Tina being as how you are in the trade so to speak.
So you two start the piggy bank now and join the gang for the anticipated November 2006 Toronto season. Meanwhile I strongly suggest making email contact with Bruna at BrunaZanelli@aol.com (get the upper case pair right) as she may not yet have given up hope of setting up a gathering of UK fans there

See the topics at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=002301#000000
and:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000107.html
John Fowles
I’m gonna let it ride

Here’s to the girls of London And the ones from Montreal
We never will forget them
We still fantasize them all
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Quote:
Originally posted by tinacee1:
I have been listening to a track I found on the internet with Gordon and Terry called Dark in the Dungeon about coalmining.It is a great track - I assume Terry is doing the vocals - is Gordon playing the guitar on this song? Any information about Terry Whelan and or The Two Tones would be greatly appreciated.

Tinacee
I can't believe nobody has picked up on this, but no Tina, it is Gordon who is doing the vocals!
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
Auburn Annie

Oops, sorry Val I *didn't* pick up on it, and yes, of course that's Gord's lovely voice.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Gordon and Terry Whelan

In view of Omer's recent discovery of the "non video" Two Tones YouTube videos after refinding this old thread I thought I would reply to bring it back into circulation

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote