banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
TinkaLuisa

Hi Folks. Finally recovered enough from an awesome Friday night in Concord with good friends, great music and too much popcorn, lol, to give you all a report. Unfortunately I was not able to follow Jenney, Susan, John et al to Burlington but I am sure one or all of them will report in as soon as they are near their pc's again. And I don't have a set list either as I can't write in the dark and enjoy the show at the same time. But I know Sir John kept one. I do know that it was similar to the one he has been rotating through this tour. He did not play Harmony (sorry Char) but did treat us to SDYS which was perfect.

The Capitol Center for the Arts in Concord is a typical old theater that has been beautifully refurbished. It seats about 1000 and to my eye it looked full. Although most of the crowd was my contemporary (old enough to remember hearing IYCRMM on the radio as a break out hit) there were some "youngsters" in the crowd. We were well behaved and mesmorized, with one obnoxious heckler toward the end that seemed to have been squelched quickly either by his neighbors or the theater security. Not only have I seen Gord there twice now, but also Natalie MacMaster (a fiddle player from Cape Breton NS...if you like fiddle music make a point of attending one of her concerts...she gives a great show) and Alison Krause, also another great show giver. The sound in the theater is great. Our seats this time were in center rows 5 and 7. I switched between the two at intermission (so hubby could sit with our two daughters)and have to say I had a better view from row 7 than 5, but can't complain about either one.

Gord was great. Usual m.o. of his voice getting stronger as the night wore on which I think is amazing since this was the 7th show in a 10 day stretch during one of the worst heat waves the US has seen in some time. There were some gems in the first set...Make Way for the Lady being particularly worthy of mention. Never has been my favorite song on the cd...but I love it live and Friday night's version...well, since the heat wave had broken and we were in an a/c'd theater...can't blame the heat for making me melt. Whoa mamma. And as usual, IYCRMM sounded like we had all traveled back in a time machine to 1970.

One thing he did do that I have to say that I do not remember ever seeing before is that he paid a sincere homage to the band. Not once but twice. In the first set, he did a gracious introduction of the band giving time for each one to receive their due applause, leaving Rick for the last to go into his "straw boss" shtick. Okay, I've seen that before. But then just before the end of the show, he named them again and asked the audience to give them a round of applause while he turned to them and applauded them as well. Can't say I've ever seen that before and I was touched.

The high point for me is that it was my 2, 20 something year old daughters' first concert and they had plenty of opportunities to talk to Gord, Rick, Terry, Mike and Barry after the show which thrilled me and them. To be honest, it's not that my girls are fans themselves, but after being "forced" to listen to Lightfoot music since before birth and watching mom (and sometimes dad) go off to every concert from here to Toronto, they wanted to go at least once to see what the fuss was all about. However after doing so, I think I am not going to be able to leave the house for another concert without them. lol. And as always it makes it a very special time to spend it with such good friends as Jenney, Susan and John and their families.

Not meaning to end this post about a great evening on a bad note, but I have a rant. I hate it when I overhear during intermission or after the show from various people how "frail" he is cause they can't distinguish the difference between not having an ounce of fat on you from disciplined exercise and healthy living choices and being thin from being "frail". I wanted to say to those people, if he is so frail, you think he'd be able to do this night after night, in this weather, at his age and after what he went through and still give as great of a show as he does? I think not.

Diane

[ August 06, 2006, 10:13: Message edited by: Sundown17 ]
TinkaLuisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Sundown17

Hi Folks. Finally recovered enough from an awesome Friday night in Concord with good friends, great music and too much popcorn, lol, to give you all a report. Unfortunately I was not able to follow Jenney, Susan, John et al to Burlington but I am sure one or all of them will report in as soon as they are near their pc's again. And I don't have a set list either as I can't write in the dark and enjoy the show at the same time. But I know Sir John kept one. I do know that it was similar to the one he has been rotating through this tour. He did not play Harmony (sorry Char) but did treat us to SDYS which was perfect.

The Capitol Center for the Arts in Concord is a typical old theater that has been beautifully refurbished. It seats about 1000 and to my eye it looked full. Although most of the crowd was my contemporary (old enough to remember hearing IYCRMM on the radio as a break out hit) there were some "youngsters" in the crowd. We were well behaved and mesmorized, with one obnoxious heckler toward the end that seemed to have been squelched quickly either by his neighbors or the theater security. Not only have I seen Gord there twice now, but also Natalie MacMaster (a fiddle player from Cape Breton NS...if you like fiddle music make a point of attending one of her concerts...she gives a great show) and Alison Krause, also another great show giver. The sound in the theater is great. Our seats this time were in center rows 5 and 7. I switched between the two at intermission (so hubby could sit with our two daughters)and have to say I had a better view from row 7 than 5, but can't complain about either one.

Gord was great. Usual m.o. of his voice getting stronger as the night wore on which I think is amazing since this was the 7th show in a 10 day stretch during one of the worst heat waves the US has seen in some time. There were some gems in the first set...Make Way for the Lady being particularly worthy of mention. Never has been my favorite song on the cd...but I love it live and Friday night's version...well, since the heat wave had broken and we were in an a/c'd theater...can't blame the heat for making me melt. Whoa mamma. And as usual, IYCRMM sounded like we had all traveled back in a time machine to 1970.

One thing he did do that I have to say that I do not remember ever seeing before is that he paid a sincere homage to the band. Not once but twice. In the first set, he did a gracious introduction of the band giving time for each one to receive their due applause, leaving Rick for the last to go into his "straw boss" shtick. Okay, I've seen that before. But then just before the end of the show, he named them again and asked the audience to give them a round of applause while he turned to them and applauded them as well. Can't say I've ever seen that before and I was touched.

The high point for me is that it was my 2, 20 something year old daughters' first concert and they had plenty of opportunities to talk to Gord, Rick, Terry, Mike and Barry after the show which thrilled me and them. To be honest, it's not that my girls are fans themselves, but after being "forced" to listen to Lightfoot music since before birth and watching mom (and sometimes dad) go off to every concert from here to Toronto, they wanted to go at least once to see what the fuss was all about. However after doing so, I think I am not going to be able to leave the house for another concert without them. lol. And as always it makes it a very special time to spend it with such good friends as Jenney, Susan and John and their families.

Not meaning to end this post about a great evening on a bad note, but I have a rant. I hate it when I overhear during intermission or after the show from various people how "frail" he is cause they can't distinguish the difference between not having an ounce of fat on you from disciplined exercise and healthy living choices and being thin from being "frail". I wanted to say to those people, if he is so frail, you think he'd be able to do this night after night, in this weather, at his age and after what he went through and still give as great of a show as he does? I think not.

Diane

[ August 06, 2006, 10:13: Message edited by: Sundown17 ]
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
brink-

Diane,
Thanks for a really heartfelt and touching review. I have never seen Gord do that with the band either (just a quick intro)and it was overdue. I hope he continues with it. They work so hard and so many of us "know" and appreciate the music and Gord a little better because they are so assessable.

Glad he played SDYS for John and Susan again. How fun for your daughters, something they will never forget. thanks again Diane for the review.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
talbot10

Quote:
Originally posted by Sundown17:

Diane
Hi Dianne! It sure sounds like a great show you saw! It is amazing that Gord still does great shows at the level and quantity he does. I hope one of the healthy choices he has made is to stop smoking. Maybe he has. Let's hope so. Have a great summer!
Bill
Old 08-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Jesse Joe

Sundown17{Diane}, Really happy to have read your concert experience. And like the others have said, I applaud him, for applauding the band. That is one thing he does not do enough, compare to other entertainers.

Thank's again for sharing...Jesse.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Jesse Joe

Sundown17{Diane}, Really happy to have read your concert experience. And like the others have said, I applaud him, for applauding the band. That is one thing he does not do enough, compare to other entertainers.

Thank's again for sharing...Jesse.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
Janice

Diane, sounds like a wonderful concert - and how special that you could share it with your family and friends. I agree that always makes a special evening even more so.

I think it's great that your daughters wanted to see what all the fuss was about and now agree that the fuss was justified.

Sorry that you couldn't go to VT for the next one and I'm even more sorry that you won't be able to make it to Toronto this year

Thanks so much for sharing your review with us!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Thanks for a great review. I too can't stand the "frail" "old" "etc" comments at halftime. Usually being made by someone who could not RUN to the concession stand... anyway I agree with you, LOL.

Thanks again,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
2Much2Lose

Hi Diane, and thanks for posting this. Skip and I just got home, so
I'll try to post some thoughts tomorrow. Skip is still talking about
how much he enjoyed himself and how good the shows and the company
were.

The Concord show was wonderful, and Diane was right about Make Way for
the Lady. It was exquisite! The sound was perfect, the band was
absolutly perfect (they even got a "wow" out of Skip!), and even the
lighting was great during that. To me it was the gem of the evening.

The Burlington VT show was quite similar, in that Gord sounded and
looked great. I think the one thing I will remember most though was the
end. It was a first at a Lightfoot concert! Gord came out to take his last bows, and a fight broke out! There was a guy that kept
shouting "High and Dry" all evening, and was getting louder and more
obnoxious each time. At the very end, the guy that had been sitting in
front of him had finally had it, and decked him! We were all standing
up giving a standing ovation, and the guy just turned around and either
pushed or punched Mr. High and Dry in the face! Broke his glasses and
sent him flying. Audience members pulled them apart, and Gord didn't
see it. Wow, now there's the last concert I would ever expect a fight
to break out in!
Anyway, besides that it was a great show and left me longing for
November and Massey Hall. I'm sure Susan and John will give a report
soon too.

Jenney
Old 08-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Jenney

Hi Diane, and thanks for posting this. Skip and I just got home, so
I'll try to post some thoughts tomorrow. Skip is still talking about
how much he enjoyed himself and how good the shows and the company
were.

The Concord show was wonderful, and Diane was right about Make Way for
the Lady. It was exquisite! The sound was perfect, the band was
absolutly perfect (they even got a "wow" out of Skip!), and even the
lighting was great during that. To me it was the gem of the evening.

The Burlington VT show was quite similar, in that Gord sounded and
looked great. I think the one thing I will remember most though was the
end. It was a first at a Lightfoot concert! Gord came out to take his last bows, and a fight broke out! There was a guy that kept
shouting "High and Dry" all evening, and was getting louder and more
obnoxious each time. At the very end, the guy that had been sitting in
front of him had finally had it, and decked him! We were all standing
up giving a standing ovation, and the guy just turned around and either
pushed or punched Mr. High and Dry in the face! Broke his glasses and
sent him flying. Audience members pulled them apart, and Gord didn't
see it. Wow, now there's the last concert I would ever expect a fight
to break out in!
Anyway, besides that it was a great show and left me longing for
November and Massey Hall. I'm sure Susan and John will give a report
soon too.

Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #11
Jesse Joe

Hi Jenney, glad to hear about Gord being top notch as usual.

Too bad for Mr. High And Dry, as you called him, glasses and everything eh!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #12
Jesse Joe

Hi Jenney, glad to hear about Gord being top notch as usual.

Too bad for Mr. High And Dry, as you called him, glasses and everything eh!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #13
charlene

thanks Diane and Jenney....sounds like I missed two great shows....
I know I was with you in spirit...

love love love Make Way For The Lady...very very hot song...

geeze - a fight at a Gord-show...cool!
So great that the girls had a fab time Diane....it would have been terrific if Lisa and I were there...all the young 'uns partying with the Lightheads and learning what all the fuss is about...
kids!

Massey can't come fast enuf....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #14
charlene

thanks Diane and Jenney....sounds like I missed two great shows....
I know I was with you in spirit...

love love love Make Way For The Lady...very very hot song...

geeze - a fight at a Gord-show...cool!
So great that the girls had a fab time Diane....it would have been terrific if Lisa and I were there...all the young 'uns partying with the Lightheads and learning what all the fuss is about...
kids!

Massey can't come fast enuf....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenney:
I'm sure Susan and John will give a report
soon too.
Jenney
OK I do not feel up to presenting a detailed report just the set list for the record
PLEASE NOTE THAT IN THIS FIRST HURRIED POSTING I INADVERTENTLY PASTED IN THE PREVIOUS EVENING'S NEW BRUNSWICK (NJ) SET LIST. PLEASE THEREFORE SCROLL ON DOWN TO THE CORRECTED VERSION
1 Cotton Jenny
2 Carefree Highway
3 Sea of Tranquility
4 Never Too Close
5 14 Karat Gold
6 In my fashion
7 A Painter Passing Though
medley
8 Spanish Moss/
9 Shadows
10 Blackberry Wine
11 The Watchman's Gone
medley
12 Ribbon Of Darkness
13 Sundown
14 The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
intermission
15 Sit Down Young Stranger
16 Minstrel Of The Dawn
17 Clouds Of Loneliness.
18 Let It Ride
19 Rainy Day People
20 Waiting For You (with not a word of introduction)
but this a song I find is increasingly more appealing when heard live compared to hearing it on the album
21 Beautiful
22 If You Could Read My Mind
23 Canadian Railroad Trilogy
24 Baby Step Back
25 Bitter Green
26 Old Dan's Record
Encore
27 Early Morning Rain
the main comment I have to make was that unusually Gord had got most of the way through Let It Ride
then came to a halt saying
"I forgot where I was"
wherupon the consumate and conscientious perfectionist that Gord is started the song from the beginning!!
Two for the price of one!
i have to say that I was delighted, as this is one of the two songs I like the most in concert (along with "Restless")
and I would be highly entertained if Gord chose to spend the whole concert claiming to "know a man from Windsor who went to De-troy-it every night"
Anyway it was more fantastic comradeship with Diane and her family and Jenney and Skip(per) Vard
Quote:
At the very end, the guy that had been sitting in front of him had finally had it, and decked him!
Jenney
Actually although aware of some noise behind me I thought it must be some reaction to yet another weirdo who was intent on making Gord pick up and take away a tee shirt, I heard later that it was for some trucking company but Gord was having none of it and kept tossing it back at the weirdo
John Fowles

[ August 08, 2006, 13:03: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #16
johnfowles

Quote:
soon too.
Jenney
OK I do not feel up to presenting a detailed report just the set list for the record
PLEASE NOTE THAT IN THIS FIRST HURRIED POSTING I INADVERTENTLY PASTED IN THE PREVIOUS EVENING'S NEW BRUNSWICK (NJ) SET LIST. PLEASE THEREFORE SCROLL ON DOWN TO THE CORRECTED VERSION
1 Cotton Jenny
2 Carefree Highway
3 Sea of Tranquility
4 Never Too Close
5 14 Karat Gold
6 In my fashion
medley
8 Spanish Moss/
9 Shadows
10 Blackberry Wine
11 The Watchman's Gone
medley
12 Ribbon Of Darkness
13 Sundown
intermission
16 Minstrel Of The Dawn
17 Clouds Of Loneliness.
18 Let It Ride
19 Rainy Day People
but this a song I find is increasingly more appealing when heard live compared to hearing it on the album
21 Beautiful
24 Baby Step Back
25 Bitter Green
26 Old Dan's Record
Encore
27 Early Morning Rain
the main comment I have to make was that unusually Gord had got most of the way through Let It Ride
"I forgot where I was"
wherupon the consumate and conscientious perfectionist that Gord is started the song from the beginning!!
i have to say that I was delighted, as this is one of the two songs I like the most in concert (along with "Restless")
and I would be highly entertained if Gord chose to spend the whole concert claiming to "know a man from Windsor who went to De-troy-it every night"
Anyway it was more fantastic comradeship with Diane and her family and Jenney and Skip(per) Vard
Quote:
At the very end, the guy that had been sitting in front of him had finally had it, and decked him!
Jenney
Actually although aware of some noise behind me I thought it must be some reaction to yet another weirdo who was intent on making Gord pick up and take away a tee shirt, I heard later that it was for some trucking company but Gord was having none of it and kept tossing it back at the weirdo
John Fowles

[ August 08, 2006, 13:03: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #17
JeffreyS821

Quote:
1 Cotton Jenny
2 Carefree Highway
3 Sea of Tranquility
4 Never Too Close
5 14 Karat Gold
6 In My Fashion
8 Spanish Moss
9 Shadows
10 Blackberry Wine
11 The Watchman's Gone
12 Ribbon Of Darkness
13 Sundown
16 Minstrel Of The Dawn
17 Clouds Of Loneliness
18 Let It Ride
19 Rainy Day People
20 Waiting For You
21 Beautiful
24 Baby Step Back
25 Bitter Green
26 Old Dan's Record
27 Early Morning Rain
Looks identical to the New Brunswick show.
JeffreyS821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #18
gretschviking1967

Quote:
1 Cotton Jenny
2 Carefree Highway
3 Sea of Tranquility
4 Never Too Close
5 14 Karat Gold
6 In My Fashion
8 Spanish Moss
9 Shadows
10 Blackberry Wine
11 The Watchman's Gone
12 Ribbon Of Darkness
13 Sundown
16 Minstrel Of The Dawn
17 Clouds Of Loneliness
18 Let It Ride
19 Rainy Day People
20 Waiting For You
21 Beautiful
24 Baby Step Back
25 Bitter Green
26 Old Dan's Record
27 Early Morning Rain
Old 08-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #19
Sundown17

John, my dear friend, I am afraid that you have your posts or nights mixed up. That is not the set list from Concord, but perhaps Burlington?
Notably missing is the melting Make Way for the Lady. But you are correct that he had to start over on Let It Ride.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
quote:Originally posted by Jenney:
soon too.
Jenney

1 Cotton Jenny
2 Carefree Highway
3 Sea of Tranquility
4 Never Too Close
5 14 Karat Gold
6 In my fashion
medley
8 Spanish Moss/
9 Shadows
10 Blackberry Wine
11 The Watchman's Gone
medley
12 Ribbon Of Darkness
13 Sundown
intermission
16 Minstrel Of The Dawn
17 Clouds Of Loneliness.
18 Let It Ride
19 Rainy Day People
21 Beautiful
24 Baby Step Back
25 Bitter Green
26 Old Dan's Record
Encore
27 Early Morning Rain
"I forgot where I was"
Quote:
Jenney
John Fowles
[/QUOTE]
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:14 AM   #20
2Much2Lose

Quote:
John, my dear friend, I am afraid that you have your posts or nights mixed up. That is not the set list from Concord, but perhaps Burlington?
Notably missing is the melting Make Way for the Lady. But you are correct that he had to start over on Let It Ride.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

He did Make Way for the Lady in both Concord and Burlington, but I don't think he did Rainy Day People at either.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:14 AM   #21
Jenney

Quote:
[/QB][/QUOTE]

He did Make Way for the Lady in both Concord and Burlington, but I don't think he did Rainy Day People at either.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #22
johnfowles

John Fowles [quote]Originally posted by gretschviking1967:
Quote:
Quote:
originally posted by sundown17
Apologies everybody I screwed up monumentally there
Yes it was in fact the New Bunswick set list
The reason was that knowing tht all 3 setlists were very similar I had pasted the NB setlist into a new wordpad document with the intention of
rearranging the 27 songs to suit the Concord setlist, then in my haste to post it I forgot to go back and edit the list
This I have now done so the corrected list is:-
1 Triangle
2 Cotton Jenny
3 14 Karat Gold
4 Never Too Close
5 Shadows
6 Beautiful
7 In my fashion
8 Make Way For The Lady
9 Blackberry Wine
10 Carefree Highway
11 Hangdog Hotel Room
12 Alberta Bound
13 Sundown
intermission
15 Sit Down Young Strange
16 Let It Ride (incomplete)
17 Let It Ride (complete and magnificent)
18 Clouds Of Loneliness.
19 A Painter Passing Though
20 If You Could Read My Mind
21 Waiting For You
Medley
22 Spanish Moss
23 Don Quixote
24 Canadian Railroad Trilogy
25 Baby Step Back
26 Restless
27 Old Dan's Records
encore
28 Early Morning Rain
then came to a halt saying "I forgot where I was"
whereupon the consumate and conscientious perfectionist that Gord is started the song from the beginning!!
I have to say that I was delighted, as this is one of the two songs I like the most in concert (along with "Restless")
and I would be highly entertained if Gord chose to spend the whole concert claiming to "know a man from Windsor who went to Detroit every night"
that included a quite splendid pre concert dinner
Diane's husband had been recommended to a restaurant called "The Common Man", and Diane redily concurred when she discovered that on the menu was" Rainbow Trout" and "Maple Leaf Duck"
Me?? I went for the "Mixed Grill" a rarity over here but staple fare in the UK.
I had a Crab Cake a Chicken Piece and a very nice, but necessarily small, Fillet Mignon
John Fowles

[ August 08, 2006, 13:00: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #23
johnfowles

John Fowles [quote]Originally posted by gretschviking1967:
Quote:
Quote:
originally posted by sundown17
Yes it was in fact the New Bunswick set list
The reason was that knowing tht all 3 setlists were very similar I had pasted the NB setlist into a new wordpad document with the intention of
rearranging the 27 songs to suit the Concord setlist, then in my haste to post it I forgot to go back and edit the list
This I have now done so the corrected list is:-
1 Triangle
2 Cotton Jenny
3 14 Karat Gold
4 Never Too Close
5 Shadows
6 Beautiful
7 In my fashion
8 Make Way For The Lady
9 Blackberry Wine
10 Carefree Highway
11 Hangdog Hotel Room
12 Alberta Bound
13 Sundown
intermission
15 Sit Down Young Strange
16 Let It Ride (incomplete)
17 Let It Ride (complete and magnificent)
18 Clouds Of Loneliness.
19 A Painter Passing Though
20 If You Could Read My Mind
21 Waiting For You
Medley
22 Spanish Moss
23 Don Quixote
24 Canadian Railroad Trilogy
25 Baby Step Back
26 Restless
27 Old Dan's Records
encore
28 Early Morning Rain
then came to a halt saying "I forgot where I was"
whereupon the consumate and conscientious perfectionist that Gord is started the song from the beginning!!
I have to say that I was delighted, as this is one of the two songs I like the most in concert (along with "Restless")
and I would be highly entertained if Gord chose to spend the whole concert claiming to "know a man from Windsor who went to Detroit every night"
that included a quite splendid pre concert dinner
Diane's husband had been recommended to a restaurant called "The Common Man", and Diane redily concurred when she discovered that on the menu was" Rainbow Trout" and "Maple Leaf Duck"
Me?? I went for the "Mixed Grill" a rarity over here but staple fare in the UK.
I had a Crab Cake a Chicken Piece and a very nice, but necessarily small, Fillet Mignon
John Fowles

[ August 08, 2006, 13:00: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 08-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #24
JeffreyS821

Quote:
John,

Nice system you have there! LOL! J/K!

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
JeffreyS821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #25