banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2000, 06:58 PM   #1
rainydayperson

If you were the producer, for a movie special on the life of Gordon Lightfoot, who would you select to play Gordon (excluding Gordon)?

What might you include as part of the storyline? What songs would you emphasize?
Who would you employ as your director? Any special scenery or locations? Support players? How would you begin and end the movie? What would be the overall theme. Would you devote more time to the earlier years or to the recent past?
--------
...thinking of girls with their fingers in my curls...too young to understand how love begins
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 06:58 PM   #2
classicmixdj

If you were the producer, for a movie special on the life of Gordon Lightfoot, who would you select to play Gordon (excluding Gordon)?

What might you include as part of the storyline? What songs would you emphasize?
Who would you employ as your director? Any special scenery or locations? Support players? How would you begin and end the movie? What would be the overall theme. Would you devote more time to the earlier years or to the recent past?
--------
...thinking of girls with their fingers in my curls...too young to understand how love begins
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 07:57 PM   #3
Wes Steele

Great topic....

Right off the top of my head I have always thought about his early years...Story goes that GL used to travel around the Great Lakes in a Chevy station wagon (far cry from the Lear jet). Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo, London (Ontario), in the mid sixties. He was playing the coffee houses and bars. He used to play in a place called "LaCave" here in Cleveland. GL does mention it once and while when he is touring the area. He mentioned in at the concert in Erie recently. After all those years, he must still have fond memories.

Those must have been some times. At that time, little did anyone realize how big he would get.

Sorry for rambling,

Wes.......
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 10:09 PM   #4
thumbs

Send a message via ICQ to thumbs

No steeling my idea! Just kidding. Actually, my sister and I have already cast The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald made for TV movie. Most of the characters, however, are individuals which we have encountered in our lifetimes, and not accomplished actors. It promises to be a great show if it ever, in fact, comes to fruition.

In regards to who might play Gord. Hmmm. No one in particular comes to mind. The individual chosen would need to possess the following traits: humility, good looks, a great appreciation for Gord, and a pair of ball-fringe jeans.

potter

'Looking at the rain
Feeling the pain
of love lost running through my veins'

GL
thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 10:09 PM   #5
potter

No steeling my idea! Just kidding. Actually, my sister and I have already cast The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald made for TV movie. Most of the characters, however, are individuals which we have encountered in our lifetimes, and not accomplished actors. It promises to be a great show if it ever, in fact, comes to fruition.

In regards to who might play Gord. Hmmm. No one in particular comes to mind. The individual chosen would need to possess the following traits: humility, good looks, a great appreciation for Gord, and a pair of ball-fringe jeans.

potter

'Looking at the rain
Feeling the pain
of love lost running through my veins'

GL
potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 11:27 PM   #6
dill23

Okay Kids,

This is a game I love to play.

Screenplay by: LAMS and Val Magee

Story line: Bio from the early days up to the winning of the Canadian Aware he got.

Cast: Gordon Lightfoot...Viggo Mortensen
Albert Grossman....Michael Lerner
Noel Paul Stookey..Michael Rapaport
Peter Yarrow.......Owen C. Wilson
Mary Travers.......Jenna Elfman
Bob Gibson.........Tom Everett Scott
Bob Dylan..........Edward Norton
Cathie Coonley.....Kari Wuhrer
Cathy Smith........Hillary Swank
Cameo Apperance....Florian Bodenseher

Director.................Peter Burk
Edward Norton
Michael Mann

Casting Director.........Rob Wells
Asst. Casting Director...Sundreme Erica

How's that?

[This message has been edited by Rob Wells (edited May 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rob Wells (edited May 23, 2000).]

dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 11:27 PM   #7
Rob Wells

Okay Kids,

This is a game I love to play.

Screenplay by: LAMS and Val Magee

Story line: Bio from the early days up to the winning of the Canadian Aware he got.

Cast: Gordon Lightfoot...Viggo Mortensen
Albert Grossman....Michael Lerner
Noel Paul Stookey..Michael Rapaport
Peter Yarrow.......Owen C. Wilson
Mary Travers.......Jenna Elfman
Bob Gibson.........Tom Everett Scott
Bob Dylan..........Edward Norton
Cathie Coonley.....Kari Wuhrer
Cathy Smith........Hillary Swank
Cameo Apperance....Florian Bodenseher

Director.................Peter Burk
Edward Norton
Michael Mann

Casting Director.........Rob Wells
Asst. Casting Director...Sundreme Erica

How's that?

[This message has been edited by Rob Wells (edited May 22, 2000).]

Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 01:22 AM   #8
Florian

Hi classicmixdj,

I agree that this is a GREAT topic.

Personally, I must embarass myself by admitting that I don't know any of the names mentioned in this posting.

Even though I like to go to the movies, I find myself unable to stick an actor's name to a character. So I am somewhat inept about this whole topic.

But I really like the idea of a movie, I wonder why there hasn't been one.

I wouldn't mind if it were a 6-part series. With lots of intermissions where songs are played.

I think it was in the Sound-stage broadcasting of 1979 where Gordon Lightfoot performed "CRT" and they showed old black&white pictures of the construction of the railway. It was very appealing to have the song & pictures together.

I can also imagine that the "Wreck" would come out fabulous with the right pictures to it.

Or "Restless" with visions of Canada.

But I have one more suggestion for the cast:

Minor Role, walk-on part: Florian Bodenseher
Where do I need to apply?
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 02:03 AM   #9
LouiseAnne

Well, I don't know who you would get for the part. But I think a professional writer who is very close to Gord and who knows all there is to know about him, as well as someone he admires a great deal should write the screenplay. My vote is with Rob. I think Valerie should do it. She's perfect for the job.

Stay loose, eh?

Leslie

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
LouiseAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 02:03 AM   #10
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

Well, I don't know who you would get for the part. But I think a professional writer who is very close to Gord and who knows all there is to know about him, as well as someone he admires a great deal should write the screenplay. My vote is with Rob. I think Valerie should do it. She's perfect for the job.

Stay loose, eh?

Leslie

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 02:32 AM   #11
dill23

Excuse me LAMS but doesn't your profile say,

Rob
Old 05-23-2000, 02:32 AM   #12
Rob Wells

Excuse me LAMS but doesn't your profile say,

Rob
Old 05-23-2000, 03:51 AM   #13
LouiseAnne

Yes, it does, Rob. I am a screenwriter. But Val has definitely shown all the qualifications I described.

Besides, writing a screenplay about Gord's life would be a tremendous undertaking and would have to be done with great care and tact. Gord is a man who will "not have his wounds touched." Whoever takes on such a project would have to tread with great care and EARN his trust. Not an easy task. I'm sure Valerie fits the bill to a tee. She is always so quick to answer everyone's questions and she is extremely prolific and she has "nothing but Gord's best interests at heart." And she wouldn't dream of exploiting him in any way, I'm sure. Right, Florian?

But, Potter, if you would like someone to write a rendition of the "Edmund Fitzgerald", I offer you my qualifications.

Rob, Thank you for your kind suggestion.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
LouiseAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 03:51 AM   #14
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

Yes, it does, Rob. I am a screenwriter. But Val has definitely shown all the qualifications I described.

Besides, writing a screenplay about Gord's life would be a tremendous undertaking and would have to be done with great care and tact. Gord is a man who will "not have his wounds touched." Whoever takes on such a project would have to tread with great care and EARN his trust. Not an easy task. I'm sure Valerie fits the bill to a tee. She is always so quick to answer everyone's questions and she is extremely prolific and she has "nothing but Gord's best interests at heart." And she wouldn't dream of exploiting him in any way, I'm sure. Right, Florian?

But, Potter, if you would like someone to write a rendition of the "Edmund Fitzgerald", I offer you my qualifications.

Rob, Thank you for your kind suggestion.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 05:06 AM   #15
Paul J B

This reply is a little off the subject but a couple of years ago while search the web I came across a movie poster for an upcoming motion picture about the Edmund Fitzgerald, it was going to star Sean Connery and I think the other was Anthony Hopkins as the two ships captains..the caption read " Two ships, one fateful night" it looked real interesting but haven't heard anything else on it! LAMS have you heard anything?

------------------
Ever Onward...
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 05:06 AM   #16
Chuck Darling

This reply is a little off the subject but a couple of years ago while search the web I came across a movie poster for an upcoming motion picture about the Edmund Fitzgerald, it was going to star Sean Connery and I think the other was Anthony Hopkins as the two ships captains..the caption read " Two ships, one fateful night" it looked real interesting but haven't heard anything else on it! LAMS have you heard anything?

------------------
Ever Onward...
Chuck Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 11:39 AM   #17
fezo

There is a young actor over here called Iain Glen. He looks astonishingly like the young Gord and he can act. He has recently been on Broadway with Nicole Kidman in 'The Blue Room', in case anybody got to see it. I think he would be great as our Gord. If someone can tell me in very simple terms how to post a picture, I'll show you him.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 11:39 AM   #18
Silver Heels

There is a young actor over here called Iain Glen. He looks astonishingly like the young Gord and he can act. He has recently been on Broadway with Nicole Kidman in 'The Blue Room', in case anybody got to see it. I think he would be great as our Gord. If someone can tell me in very simple terms how to post a picture, I'll show you him.
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 03:42 PM   #19
BigFitz

Wow this is a great topic. The best thing about the Lightfoot movie would be the musical score, no doubt! I have no idea who could do him justice, to be honest, but I think that it should not be a requirement that he look just like Gord. Let's face it, the movies about Elvis' life that cast some no-talent look alike are never very good. I think it's more important that our star can capture that Lightfoot mystique.

As far as a Edmund Fitzgerald movie goes, I have longed dreamed of that coming to fruition! It's interesting that Chuck mentions Connery playing a role in a possible film on the subject, since he is my favorite actor, and I've long thought it would be great to see him in a film inspired by a Lightfoot song.

The closest thing so far was the Molly Maguires, where Sean Connery played a coal miner in Pennsylvania, rebelling against the 'Big Business' that kept his character, Jack Kehoe breaking his back for petty wages. The whole story would be perfectly complimented by 'Boss Man'.

BigFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 03:42 PM   #20
bobo

Wow this is a great topic. The best thing about the Lightfoot movie would be the musical score, no doubt! I have no idea who could do him justice, to be honest, but I think that it should not be a requirement that he look just like Gord. Let's face it, the movies about Elvis' life that cast some no-talent look alike are never very good. I think it's more important that our star can capture that Lightfoot mystique.

As far as a Edmund Fitzgerald movie goes, I have longed dreamed of that coming to fruition! It's interesting that Chuck mentions Connery playing a role in a possible film on the subject, since he is my favorite actor, and I've long thought it would be great to see him in a film inspired by a Lightfoot song.

The closest thing so far was the Molly Maguires, where Sean Connery played a coal miner in Pennsylvania, rebelling against the 'Big Business' that kept his character, Jack Kehoe breaking his back for petty wages. The whole story would be perfectly complimented by 'Boss Man'.

bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 06:12 PM   #21
dill23

Silver Heels

I'm unfamiliar with Ian Glens work. I choose Mr. Mortensen because he has proven he has the depth, the range, the intensity and the senitivity to conveive to the audience the emotional impact required by a stellar dramatic actor, such as he. LAMS is pushing for Michael Parks because they look so much alike. But I really racked my brain trying to find just the right actor for Gord's role. The thing that a lot of people miss about Gordon is his tremendous sense of humor. It's low key, sarcastic, intelligent, playful and teasing. Little of this comes thru in his music and just a tiny bit more is exposed during his concerts. but when you spend time with him, he's a total hoot to be around. These same qualities seem to exude from Mr. Mortensen.

My feelings are, as I know a few people with stars around thier names, don't really act, persay. They look at a script, think about how they would react in the charactor's situation, and usually, the lines, fit just exactly what they themselves would do or say. This says alot about some of the worlds great stars. They are just people like the rest of us, doing their jobs the best they can. And isn't wonderful that they have chosen, Like Gordon, to make themselves and who they are available to the world.)))

Rob
Old 05-23-2000, 06:12 PM   #22
Rob Wells

Silver Heels

I'm unfamiliar with Ian Glens work. I choose Mr. Mortensen because he has proven he has the depth, the range, the intensity and the senitivity to conveive to the audience the emotional impact required by a stellar dramatic actor, such as he. LAMS is pushing for Michael Parks because they look so much alike. But I really racked my brain trying to find just the right actor for Gord's role. The thing that a lot of people miss about Gordon is his tremendous sense of humor. It's low key, sarcastic, intelligent, playful and teasing. Little of this comes thru in his music and just a tiny bit more is exposed during his concerts. but when you spend time with him, he's a total hoot to be around. These same qualities seem to exude from Mr. Mortensen.

My feelings are, as I know a few people with stars around thier names, don't really act, persay. They look at a script, think about how they would react in the charactor's situation, and usually, the lines, fit just exactly what they themselves would do or say. This says alot about some of the worlds great stars. They are just people like the rest of us, doing their jobs the best they can. And isn't wonderful that they have chosen, Like Gordon, to make themselves and who they are available to the world.)))

Rob
Old 05-23-2000, 08:14 PM   #23
Dan

This is a great topic. The responses are wonderful to read but I don't think a movie of this sort could ever do justice to Gord.

I always hoped that VH1 would create a Behind the Music episode on Gord immediately followed by a Gordon Lightfoot Storytellers segment. That would be 2 hours of great TV!

Does anyone have any contacts at VH1?

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2000, 04:01 AM   #24
Jenney

I love this topic.

I would start the movie with Gord standing thumbing on the side of a frozen highway with just the hills all aglaze with the snow of lonliness and the heart ever wandering in search of a home.Playing in the background would be'Ten Degrees and Freezing'.That seemed to be Gord's inauspious start, playing bars and coffee houses where he endeared himself with the lost and lovely women of the world and then I would proceed to document his musical and personal progression with all its hard learned lessons that he shares with us in his songs.

I mean
'I would be happy just to hold the hand I love.On this Winter's Night with you'
Hey, wouldnt we all:}

It is no small error in statistics that most Canadian babies are conceived in the winter while the storms rage outside and the fires burn within our hearts.No body knows us like Gord.

Now, who could play him.HMMMM.Someone who is ruggedly handsome but has the weathered lines of a life well lived on his face.I'll get back to you on that one.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2000, 04:01 AM   #25
isabella

I love this topic.

I would start the movie with Gord standing thumbing on the side of a frozen highway with just the hills all aglaze with the snow of lonliness and the heart ever wandering in search of a home.Playing in the background would be'Ten Degrees and Freezing'.That seemed to be Gord's inauspious start, playing bars and coffee houses where he endeared himself with the lost and lovely women of the world and then I would proceed to document his musical and personal progression with all its hard learned lessons that he shares with us in his songs.

I mean
'I would be happy just to hold the hand I love.On this Winter's Night with you'
Hey, wouldnt we all:}

It is no small error in statistics that most Canadian babies are conceived in the winter while the storms rage outside and the fires burn within our hearts.No body knows us like Gord.

Now, who could play him.HMMMM.Someone who is ruggedly handsome but has the weathered lines of a life well lived on his face.I'll get back to you on that one.
isabella is offline   Reply With Quote