banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
charlene

Default HAMILTON review-April 14,2010

Gord was FRONT page of the Hamilton Spectator today! awesome!
The pic was above the fold and titled The Legend Returns
I will have my write-up etc. shortly. It was a fabulous night!

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/753610

Lightfoot: Animated, poignant and flawless

Gordon Lightfoot didn't disappoint at Hamilton Place Wednesday ...

April 15, 2010
Graham Rockingham
Hearing a news report about your death on the radio can tend to give an artist a new lease on life.

So it was with Gordon Lightfoot last night and his performance before an audience of more than 1,800 faithful fans at Hamilton Place.

“In the words of Mark Twain,” Lightfoot told the crowd. “Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

Lightfoot’s mischievous pronouncement came five songs into his first set. It was not particularly original. Nonetheless, it was the perfect way to break the ice between himself and an adoring audience, many of who were still reeling from false news reports of Lightfoot’s death broadcast less than two months ago.

And it provided the perfect introduction for A Painter Passing Through, a song recorded in Hamilton’s Grant Avenue Studio about an aging artist looking back on the time when he was “in his prime.”

The song turned Lightfoot’s lighthearted joke into a moment of poignancy. Like that painter in the song, Lightfoot has given the world many masterpieces.

And like that painter in the song, Lightfoot is aware that his greatest moments are behind him.

At 71, his voice is a pale imitation of the rich baritone his fans came to love in the ’60s and ’70s. It is frail and, at times, barely above a whisper.

Yet, Lightfoot has left us with a magnificent legacy of music. And last night, in a two-hour, 25-song performance, he was able to do justice to the best of those songs.

He started the evening off with the seafarers’ song Triangle, easing it into the tender Did She Mention My Name. He peppered the first set with old radio favourites like Sundown, Carefree Highway, Cotton Jenny and a stirring version of Beautiful. But he also remained inventive with lesser known pieces of his repertoire, especially when he segued seemlessly from Spanish Moss into Shadows.

The best, however, was saved for the second half of the show. Fans knew they were in for a treat when he opened the set with a workman-like version of his biggest hit Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Did anyone really care or notice that he had made that well publicized change to the lyrics? It was just a pleasure to hear it done so well.

Lightfoot was much more animated than the last time he was here two years ago. Not all of the jokes worked. But at least he tried.

“Who the hell would write a song about a loon in love,” he laughed in the intro of Ringneck Loon.

Still, the best was yet to come. The crowd fell silent as Lightfoot delivered up As Fine As Fine Can Be, In My Fashion , From the Forest and If You Could Read My Mind.

The standouts, however, were flawless performances of Canadian Railroad Trilogy and Song for a Winters’ Night, tunes that surely brought tears to the eyes of every true folky in the hall.

grockingham@thespec.com
905-526-3331
John Rennison, The Hamilton SpectatorGordon Lightfoot didn't disappoint at Hamilton Place Wednesday night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hamilton-april2010.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	3370  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
charlene

Default Hamilton report-Hamilton Place-April 2010

Gordon Lightfoot
Hamilton Place, Hamilton, Ontario
Wednesday April 14, 2010

After an afternoon of trains and automobiles Lisa and I arrived in Hamilton 40 minutes before the 8 p.m. concert start. We were met at the GO train station by Dan and Nanci two had arrived an hour earlier. It was a beautiful evening as we headed to Hamilton Place. I hadn’t been back there since the concerts Lightfoot gave as fundraisers back in November 2004.
We then met up with Brian who was already in his seat waiting for the show to start. In the lobby the beautiful bronze “Lightfoot Bust” was on display and the sculptor was also in attendance.
The lights went down and the band took their positions as Lightfoot strode to his mic. The sound system was wonderful and his voice was clear and audible.

SETLIST

1. Triangle
2. Did She Mention My Name
3. 14 K Gold
4. Never Too Close
5. A Painter Passing Through
6. Let It Ride
7. Spanish Moss
8. Shadows
9. Beautiful
10. Carefree Highway
11. Cotton Jenney
12. Ribbon of Darkness – several audience members chimed in with “over me” just before he led into the next song. He seemed quite pleased!
13. Sundown – after Sundown he mentioned the bronze sculpture in the lobby and that Gino had photographed him 87 different ways while sitting on a turntable.
14. Hangdog Hotel – He told about spending two days at the house with Jerry Jeff Walker and Doug Kershaw and partying while they waited for Kershaw’s fiddle to be fixed. The kids and wife were in Sweden at the time.
15. Alberta Bound
16. The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald
17. Ringneck Loon – He asked “why the hell would I write a song about that.
18. Don Quixote
19. Fine As Fine Can Be
20. In My Fashion
21. Home From The Forest – he mentioned that the previous night in Peterborough Ronnie Hawkins was at the show.
22. If You Could Read My Mind – ok – this was perfection.
23. Baby step Back
24. Restless
25. Canadian Railroad Trilogy – he did this for Dr. M and his wife. (Dr. Maracaccio)
26. Song For A Winter’s Night

ENCORE and BAND INTRO

27. Blackberry Wine

This concert was full of energy for all concerned, band, audience and Lightfoot. He had a few moments of trouble at the beginning of CRT but then sailed right through it. I was very glad he did Home From The Forest Again so Dan, Nanci and Brian could hear it too.
During the intermission I met Vera! She somehow spotted me and came to say hi! It was wonderful to meet her and hear her travel stories. She’s having quite an adventure and I am highly envious! I asked her to check in when she can but she’s so busy I don’t know if that will happen! Safe travels Vera!!
Pics (some taken by Dan)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1597small.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	3371   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1598small.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	3372   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1600small.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	3373   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1606small.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	3374   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1608small.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	3375  

Name:	100_1610small.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	3376   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12672edit2small.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	3377   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12673editsmall.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	3378   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12674editsmall.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	3379   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12678small.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	3380  

Name:	SDC12693small.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	3381   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12694small.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	3382  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Sydney Steve

Default Re: Hamilton report

That's it no more reviews to be posted on Corfid.
Dr says I should not over-stimulate my jealousy genes and the dentist told me to stop the teeth gnashing.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
charlene

can I do anything about the green tone to your skin??

Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
patybear

Default Re: HAMILTON review-April 14,2010

Great picture! Thanks for posting this,Charlene.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
charlene

Hamilton video from Dan.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
GeoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Next_Saturday View Post
A very nice song and quality recording.
GeoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
charlene

the video was actually shot by Lisa on Dan's camera!
lol
Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Good job Lisa !

I saw some people in the front row @ the Moncton Coliseum Show wearing those same little ID cards w/ a pic of Gord on them... (fan club ... VIP)

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/attachment...6&d=1271373690

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 04-18-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Germany76

i was just thrown off the website, so I'll try again. Thanks for the kind words, Char. I would have loved to stay a while longer after the concert, but I was so anxious about ( not ) missing my train back to Toronto,; so I left in a hurry, only to miss the train after all. This is my last day in Toronto. Sunday evening I'll take the night bus out to NY>.city and travel on from there to Hartford, Conn. I'll let you know about the ongoing travelling when I have a computer that is easier accessable than this one at my hotel. It was very nice meeting you, Char and Lisa, and I hope we can talk some more ( over lunch or dinner maybe ) when I come back to Toronto in May.Take care all of you. Vera
Germany76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
charlene

glad to hear from you! keep in touch and enjoy Connecticut!!
Did you miss the last train or was there another after the one you missed?
Did you have to stay over in Hamilton??
Old 04-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Germany76

I took a taxi to Burlington, bur the train had already left:so the driver offered to take me to Toronto(100 bucks flat!). So thats what I did. Worst ride ever!But I survived it, as you gan see.Thanks for asking. V.
Germany76 is offline   Reply With Quote