banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
Chris Castleberry

One thing that got me started in Ordinary Man was the high strings during the lines "I get so lonesome knowin' you could be around". I don't know why, but I really liked hearing that sound when I first listen to it, and I've liked it ever since.

A Lesson In Love is one I wouldn't have liked, but I like the horns/steel (whatever you call that certain music instrument ) that starts playing in the background during the lines "Songs of the season, Apples of the sun".

Has there ever been a Gord song you normally wouldn't care for, but a certain quality catches your liking for it?
Chris Castleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Borderstone

The title track to "Salute" (A Lot More livin' To Do)" would not really have been "all that" to me,beause it's not the generally accepted Gordon Lightfoot "sound".

Most folks think Gordon is just a folk or "pop" singer. Even I thought that way,but that song and the "Salute" LP showed me there is more than one dimension to any artist as well as any person.

By the way Chris,with the first three topics on this board,you're kind of reminding me about how i was when I first got here! :D That's a good thing though.

[ October 18, 2005, 22:41: Message edited by: Borderstone ]
Old 10-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
Robby Lake

What's up guys...
I like the topic, but since I haven't gotten to my "Second Cup Of Coffee" yet,my reasoning may be impaired!Hows about"Now and Then" from
"Cold On The Shoulder"?I love Gords' 12 string playing in the back as well as the story.
Somewhat sappy,but the words just stick:
"Here among my thoughts of you I find a gentle longing to be free"
Robby Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
<Cathy>

I didn't care much for "Your Loves Return" when I first heard it. It was almost so sugary sweet I couldn't bear it... "roses are waiting for dew drops to fall..."
But one day I heard it in the right mood-- and it was just like magic. I think it is about the most beautiful song there- but I still have to be in the mood for it.

I like your posts Chris- they are the kind that make me want to participate in the discussion board! I hope you'll keep them coming.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Glenmark

One song with which I've had this experience is "I'm Not Supposed to Care," which for years I didn't particularly like compared to a lot of the other songs on SD, but recently I started hearing it with a new set of ears and decided that I absolutely love the chord progression and now I play it myself. It's a song I'd like to hear Ron Sexsmith cover with just a piano as accompaniment.
Glenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Apart from Canary Yellow Canoe, which I *cannot* abide (sorry, GL), it would be "The Watchman's Gone." I reaaallly didn't like this one. But, everywhere I turned, people on this forum I liked and respected loved this song. So, every time it would come on, I'd give it a listen, and slowly...slowly...I've been changing my mind. The last time it played, I caught myself thinking, "Wow, I really *like* this song!" Then I caught myself up short, "Holy toledo! It's Watchman's Gone!" You just never know when something's gonna catch at your heart.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Harmony

Someone To Believe In
Without You
I'll Prove My Love
The Circle Is Small
aren't very appealing until you fall in love. :D
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
Chris Castleberry

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;Cathy&gt;:

I like your posts Chris- they are the kind that make me want to participate in the discussion board! I hope you'll keep them coming.
:D
Old 11-01-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
Chris Castleberry

No prob.